Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Barnsley (H) 13th December, 3pm

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Depends what you want.

Smith has never, and will never deliver anything more than mediocre. Just take a look at the league table: 6 wins, 6 defeats and 8 draws, having scored 18 and conceded 17. You couldn't get more average than that.

Average doesn't bring excitement, nor does it bring achievement.

If you want lengthy periods of piss poor performances, poor squad building and a 12th placed finish, stick with Smith.

Some of us however, would like to see the club do a little better than average.

I suspect you're trying to bait someone but regardless I'll respond. In my opinion the budget afforded to Dean Smith should allow him to fight relegation competently. Nothing wrong with having that as a basic requisite. The best way to do this is to make us hard to beat. With a bit of luck you'll sign a few down and out strikers that with the right coaching will become 20+ goals. Smith hasn't been able to get this yet but he does make us play football that creates chances. When he finds the right strikers (Bradshaw looks like one) we'll be gunning for the play offs. In both of the last seasons we've been receiving praise for how we play from the footballing community and have mounted relatively serious play off campaigns. The day Smith leaves us will be a very bad day indeed - you'll see how god awful we truly can be.

Basically your footballing mentality is all bonkers!! Get a grip.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I was explaining to somebody yesterday that this game was a six pointer...and when I looked at the table, Walsall and Barnsley had swapped places....which could only mean Walsall had scored two goals in a few minutes....something so rare that I was leaning towards it being an error on the table....

Good comeback, good that it was 3 goals, they were good goals...quality finishes, good that others are scoring now

Walsall have good quality players in all positions, they seem to have good spirit and team play....as long as they sort out attacking tactics...or at least take more shots, then they can do well for a few seasons if Smith keeps them together.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:01 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Depends what you want.

Smith has never, and will never deliver anything more than mediocre. Just take a look at the league table: 6 wins, 6 defeats and 8 draws, having scored 18 and conceded 17. You couldn't get more average than that.

Average doesn't bring excitement, nor does it bring achievement.

If you want lengthy periods of piss poor performances, poor squad building and a 12th placed finish, stick with Smith.

Some of us however, would like to see the club do a little better than average.

Average. Ha.

Average, for Walsall, is a play-off shot once every five seasons at this level (we've had 8 top six finishes in our 42 years at this level). Smith has had two full seasons in charge.

I suppose you could set your standards so high that anyone who doesn't do a Graydon is "mediocre", but that would be consigning yourself to a lifetime of underwhelmed misery.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Registered Saddler wrote: ...a lifetime of underwhelmed misery.

Oh, you've met Phil, then?

We've had an unprecedented series of injuries to key players this season and during the summer. We haven't had a single game where we've been able to play our strongest team. The fact that we're in the top half of the table having overcome that is anything but mediocre.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Hear hear! People need to realise that they are far too trigger happy. Further to this the level of abuse I and a few others got when trying to get people to keep the faith was incredible.

What abuse have you received? I don't remember much abuse from either side to be honest. Somebody strongly arguing against your views is not abuse.

I suspect people won't learn but at some point we won't be firing on all cylinders (I suspect we're not even yet) and when that happens shout and scream your support. Be the 12th man. UTS!

Strange as it might seem being a bit critical of Smith and vocally supporting the team are not mutually exclusive. I have done both this season. I have questioned the effectiveness of the manager on here and sang loudly at the games. I suspect I'm not the only one either.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 am

Really good game on Saturday although Barnsley were no mugs and had posed a bit of a threat in the 2nd half.

Not sure again, what the Baxendale-detractors thought he did wrong. He was very involved - especially in the first half - with some lovely neat play and good control.

Anyway, cracking goal for Cook and his confidence went up after the 1st. Downing looked back to his most self-assured best; Rico Henry looks like another great prospect; and Purkiss was awesome.

Let's hope we keep this going....

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am

saddlerone wrote:cannot believe there are people on this board who are still moaning .can only assume they are "tongue in cheek "comments ,i really hope so ,otherwise there are people on this board who should,nt be near any sharp implements !
no one should forget what this club is , and how it works .

Phil's always moaning. He's like Marvin the Paranoid Android, but with a brain the size of a pea... :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:26 am

Pedagogue wrote:A thoroughly deserved win and a welcome birthday present for Sir Geoffrey Whiting. We are now nearer the play-offs (4 points) than the relegation zone (6 points) and still have the best defensive record but the second worst (after Crwho?) scoring record.

The defence looked sound, as you would expect. Henry made a few mistakes but still showed great promise. I'm not quite sure how O'Donnell got MotM. He made a couple of very good blocks but was also indecisive on a couple of occasions and generally had little to do.
In midfield, I still can't make up my mind about Cain. On the ball, he looks a decent player but, for me, he isn't involved enough. I'm sure he is improving with the valuable experience that he is gaining with us. As for Sawyers and Baxendale - what a pair of enigmas! Two of the most gifted and talented players in League One but sooooo frustrating!
Cook looks to be approaching his best form now he has settled back in. His first goal, in particular, was an absolute cracker. Make sure you watch it on the Football League Show. Bradshaw's goal was classy.

The next three games will be a true test as to whether we really are improving.

UTS

After recent results, I don't suppose they will be relishing the thought of playing us either :mrgreen:
Last edited by Leatherman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Really good game on Saturday although Barnsley were no mugs and had posed a bit of a threat in the 2nd half.

Not sure again, what the Baxendale-detractors thought he did wrong. He was very involved - especially in the first half - with some lovely neat play and good control.

Anyway, cracking goal for Cook and his confidence went up after the 1st. Downing looked back to his most self-assured best; Rico Henry looks like another great prospect; and Purkiss was awesome.

Let's hope we keep this going....

it's always funny to read bax is ineffective when he scores and creates goals

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:05 pm

SWS1

Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks a million for that. I know it's just the highlights but some of our football there looked really fluent. Barnsley were no mugs, either, so it augurs well for us. If we are, at last, developing a bit of a cutting edge, too, well, the sky's the limit (OK, a long shot at the playoffs, then). This is still a young team, with loads of potential. Best defensive record in the division is something to be very proud of and successful teams nearly always build from the back. At the very least, we should be very difficult to beat.
UTS
:D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:20 pm

SWS1 wrote:

Thanks a million for that. I know it's just the highlights but some of our football there looked really fluent. Barnsley were no mugs, either, so it augurs well for us. If we are, at last, developing a bit of a cutting edge, too, well, the sky's the limit (OK, a long shot at the playoffs, then). This is still a young team, with loads of potential. Best defensive record in the division is something to be very proud of and successful teams nearly always build from the back. At the very least, we should be very difficult to beat.
UTS
:D

Aye, Smith Out though mate, we aren't top and it's almost christmas.. :shock:

The Crisis deepens by the week..Hope Jeff hits the panic button and sacks him..What a present for all!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:39 pm

YAWN.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:41 pm

tinned wrote:YAWN.

In fairness, I'm being completely tongue in cheek and having a laugh. However it is hilarious, how few of us (us including me) were stuck right by Smith 6-8 weeks ago when most were starting or had turned their back on him and now a few wins later and a shot at a wembley and it's all happy again amongst the fan base. Football fans really are fickle. (Well some).

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season