Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) Tues Dec 9th 7.45pm FLT Area semis

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) Tues Dec 9th 7.45pm FLT Area semis

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:17 pm

Sadders wrote:Non of the 200 by Cully either? :wink: Has Sallian lost internet connection this eve?

Cully probably hasn't posted as he was at the game (see page 1) :idea: :arrow:
Last edited by chestersaddler on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:18 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Unbelievable Jeff. :lol:

Surely surely a game like tonight makes it destined to reach Wembley.

Hopefully if nothing else this will be a massive wake up call to the players nearly going out twice.

PNE or Notts over two legs won't be easy so still cautious.

I do wish people would stop about us never having played at Wembley. It's only due to the FA that we haven't.1988, play-offs were still played over two-legs-for the last season that happened. 2001 we would have played there if Wembley hadn't been closed for renovations. It makes us appear like perennially under-achievers. :?

:lol: closed for renovations

That was the official line. Do you know something I don't?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:20 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Hopefully if nothing else this will be a massive wake up call to the players nearly going out twice.

I do wish people would stop about us never having played at Wembley. It's only due to the FA that we haven't.1988, play-offs were still played over two-legs-for the last season that happened. 2001 we would have played there if Wembley hadn't been closed for renovations. It makes us appear like perennially under-achievers. :?

Demolished and rebuilt?

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:It would be so easy to focus on the negativity again earlier in the thread, but having said that if you can be positive when losing 0-2 to a side going out the league then you must be Optimistic!

Lets just enjoy this, we are now so close! The boost we all needed maybe?

Nearly made the post all about other fans. Just about turned it around :D

Let's hope we start to play like we did in the second half rather than like we've played most of the season.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Demolished and rebuilt?

" Daddy, Daddy! What's a pedant?"

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:26 pm

" Daddy, Daddy! What's a pedant?"

Ask Pedagogue :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Apparently about 600 went up. ,

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:It would be so easy to focus on the negativity again earlier in the thread, but having said that if you can be positive when losing 0-2 to a side going out the league then you must be Optimistic!

Lets just enjoy this, we are now so close! The boost we all needed maybe?

Sorry cant help but mention Sallian :lol: More chance of Lindsay Lohan popping round for a cuppa than seeing him....

Completely agree, was absolutely fuming after 50 mins but so proud at the end.

Good to see a Smith substitution turn a game around in our favour

SWS1

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:35 pm

I do wish people would stop about us never having played at Wembley. It's only due to the FA that we haven't.1988, play-offs finals were still played over two-legs-for the last season that happened. 2001 we would have played there if Wembley hadn't been closed for renovations. It makes us appear like perennially under-achievers. :?

Us? Perennial underachievers? NEVER! :mrgreen:

SWS1

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Well, I don't know what to think other than I'm bloody chuffed :D

2-0 down during the match and 4-2 down in the penalty shoot out. Not like Walsall at all.

Questions have to be asked as to how we found ourselves 2-0 down in the first place, but Smith at al were up to the challenge. Looking forward to Saturday now...

I'll be very interested to find out why we went 2 - 0 down after my earlier claim that we woz unlucky. It's a long way back from Berk un Head so will look tomorrow... :D :D :D :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:44 pm

The fact that we haven't been to Wembley doesn't make us underachievers.
The fact that we've only twice out of 120-odd years been the best in our division, does.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:00 pm

I came out of a meeting in Hull at 3pm and was tempted to head across country to the Wirral. Heavy traffic persuaded me not to.
In hindsight I wish I had tried to make it!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:10 pm

600 or thereabouts is a great effort.

What do people reckon the crowd figures will be for the home game, 6k + maybe if the 2nd leg is at home. Would help if it's Notts County being local they'll bring a decent amount.

Don't think PNE are bothered by this, they're still in the FA cup and above all they really need to get automatic promotion this season. They've also lost Joe Garner for a few months so their main goal threat won't be around for these games.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm

As seeing as I am the victim of slander and sarcasm...and I can see that a few of you miss me

Yes good result, away from home, must have showed heart...good comeback, don't blame Grimes for missing a penalty...they can be missed even if you take them properly (plus he has probably forgotten what you have to do to shoot for goal...as he is kept away from it most of the time)

I can't see us getting through the next stage though....but at least they should have some motivation, belief and now know they can score two goals in a game.

League more important but would give the team and perhaps the support base an extra injection if Wembley could be reached....but I don't expect it though.

600 is a good turnout...they must be having a ball....a bit like the 3-0 win at Sunderland (who were unbeaten at home) when Walsall had not previously won away and had lost 15games in a row.....Stuart Rimmer Hatrick....Des Lynam said "This is why no-one can win the pools" The Sunderland win was actually much better, but that is going back 25years

UTS Legend

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Just woke up in HK. (It's 7.20am here.) Can anyone tell me the score? I can't be bothered reading through this whole thread. It's so long we must have lost.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Guest wrote:Just woke up in HK. (It's 7.20am here.) Can anyone tell me the score? I can't be bothered reading through this whole thread. It's so long we must have lost.

2-2 Walsall win on pens....were losing 2-4 on pens but came back

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Great match. Reminds you why you love football.

To those moaning about us being 2-0 down may I remind you that the other team is trying to win as much as us. Tranmeres first was a great finish.

A mixed performance. Bradshaw looked well off the pace
Thought we were out when tranmere scored their 4th penalty. Can't believe we're through ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:20 am

I missed the whole drama as I was out with no internet connection. I am so glad I could not follow this forum and read some of the rubbish some posters decided to type (you now who you are).

All I could see on returning home was a brilliant performance from the Super Saddlers, not only coming back from 2-0 down but winning on penalties for once (when was the last time?).

Yet still some persist in rubbishing certain players, even after such a tremendous win when defeat looked certain. I say it again, unsuccessful people tend to pick on failures from other people to make themselves feel good. A true supporter is there through thick and thin, not jumping on the slightest lapse, even halfway through a game which results in our best cup result in years.

I am Optimistic, try it.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:50 am

Guest wrote:Just woke up in HK. (It's 7.20am here.) Can anyone tell me the score? I can't be bothered reading through this whole thread. It's so long we must have lost.

Do yourself a favour and read the entire thread as it's a hoot.
It does also match the sort of emotions you go through in a game so it's good from that point of view.

Seriously though, great win, but some of the comments on here are a bit immature one might say.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 am

Fickle bastards. :D

Walsall reign supremo! :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 am

Brilliant... just brilliant.

Shows the fight that is in the team.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 am

We were terrible for ages, Tranmere died on their arses, we improved and were much the fitter team, we scored 2 goals, we scored more penalties WAM CLOSER TO GEWIN TO WEMBLAY AYE WE

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:23 am

Great result.

Hilarious thread. Worth reading all of it!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 am

I think we should petition for Jeff Bonser to be knighted,Smith should be given a 10 year extension,every player who was in the squad last night should be given a 5 year deal and a £10,000 bonus and the Mayor of Walsall should organise an open top bus ride round the town and.....HOLD ON!!!.....all they have done is beat a 4th tier club on penalties....cancel all that. :D :D :D

Seriously though,having listened to it on radio WM,who condescendingly put the match on after having to threaten the commentators with disciplinary action if they didn't go and cover the match,i was surprised at the way they came back in the second half.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:51 am

Special mention to Rico Henry who played very well, energy and commitment. Didn't back out of any tackles or dicey looking headers against bigger players. Very accomplished debut!

few of the other lads need to take a leaf out of his book

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am

Superb result in the end, but we made hard work of it.

First twenty minutes we were on top. Cook was on fire, ripping apart their right back. Bradshaw missed a good on and one chance and a decent half chance too. Cook was then involved in a tackle where he seemed to take a knock. He wasn't as effective after this and we seemed to stall. This was when Tranmere took the lead with a great strike, and soon after doubled their advantage as we seemed to fall asleep.

I didn't give us much hope at half time and I didn't in the opening few minutes of the second half. Smith brought Forde on at half time for what I assumed was the injured cook and then Manset for the ineffective Baxendale ten minutes later. We then changed and started to dominate again. Forde was a constant threat down the right and took his goal well. Manset, although not spectacular haves us more of a physical presence up top. Tranmere dropped although still looked dangerous on the counter. A massive sigh of relief when Caine struck the equaliser from the edge of the box.

Then came the dreaded penalty shout out. I thought we'd be out as I can't recall us ever winning one whilst I've been watching! Felt sorry for Grimes, his only touch of the ball was to take the penalty.i don't think he'd even had chance to warm up as he came on last minute for J.Chambers for took a knock.

Great night in the end, but how we went 2-0 down is beyond me. One of the main highlights of the night was Rico Henry. My MOTM by miles. He looked very good for a 17 year old making his full debut! Look confident on the ball, not afraid to go forward and was always available of the left. Bradshaw looked off the pace, which is to be expected after being out for a month.

We played boys, hoping for County in the area final! UTS

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:56 am

Great result.
Don't know what happened to Sadworld commentary. Had to listen to last 10 mins and shoot out on the Tranmere link. They obviously had a slightly different perspective during the penalties!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:35 am

Sallian :shock:

I waited up all night for Lindsay and she didn't show :|

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 am

After feeling angry upto 50-55 minutes I then felt that surge of tingled proud stuff all over my body after the shoot out, a feeling I had long forgotten about, it was lovely :D

UTS Legend

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Whitters wrote:

Do yourself a favour and read the entire thread as it's a hoot.
It does also match the sort of emotions you go through in a game so it's good from that point of view.

Seriously though, great win, but some of the comments on here are a bit immature one might say.

I did actually start reading the whole thread without knowing the score, but by half time I had lost the will to live...

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season