Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One, 29th Nov, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Coventry City (A) League One, 29th Nov, 3.00pm

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:16 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:theres still a certain striker that would be cheap and score goals whos not long out of jail!!

He wouldn't be able to as he would also be isolated to lessen all his chances

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:20 pm

otiswfc wrote:Really boring game there were at least 400 Walsall fans in the concourse area drinking after the second half kicked off we could still be playing now and not have scored. Dean smith's doing a decent job but we definitely need a striker Manset is up there with the worst player's iv ever seen in a Walsall shirt, Steven pressley is right when he says his attitude is bad he clearly doesn't give a toss not what I like to see at Walsall we can't afford player's like that at the club I'd like us to get bakayoko back and play him he'd put much more effort in.
Walsall fans turned up in good numbers but very quiet for a away game probably due to the surroundings I'm not a big fan of Bescot but it's better than the ricoh it's a ridiculous stadium for a club like coventry 24,000 empty seat's what a joke.

A new manager will achieve nothing as he will be subject to all the constraints of Dean Smith's formations and style.

Good strikers will come to Walsall and lose quality and confidence due to Dean Smith's wrong approach.

The Walsall strikers are forgetting where the net is and how to find it as Dean Smith keeps them so far away from it.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 pm

SWS1 wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
PT wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:theres still a certain striker that would be cheap and score goals whos not long out of jail!!

Would prefer to see us relegated than sign him.

Same here, PT. We are desperate, but not THAT desperate.

No need for a reply to a tongue-in-the-cheek remark from Wednesbury... :roll:

I never assume irony in any post :wink: .

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 pm

otiswfc wrote:Really boring game there were at least 400 Walsall fans in the concourse area drinking after the second half kicked off we could still be playing now and not have scored. Dean smith's doing a decent job but we definitely need a striker Manset is up there with the worst player's iv ever seen in a Walsall shirt, Steven pressley is right when he says his attitude is bad he clearly doesn't give a toss not what I like to see at Walsall we can't afford player's like that at the club I'd like us to get bakayoko back and play him he'd put much more effort in.
Walsall fans turned up in good numbers but very quiet for a away game probably due to the surroundings I'm not a big fan of Bescot but it's better than the ricoh it's a ridiculous stadium for a club like coventry 24,000 empty seat's what a joke.

'For a club like Coventry' :shock:

Coventry were in the Premier getting 20000+ not a million years ago. The potential support is there but obviously it's a bit of crisis club at the moment.

If I remember correctly our fans were saying that we had to get Manset because Bradshaw & Grimes were pathetic signings :lol:

Is it just me or has Sallian ruined another match thread where I would much rather read the thoughts of those who were actually at the game. Don't even read his posts anyway :roll:

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49 pm

More of the same really. We were solid at the back, but lacked creativity and cutting edge. The first half an hour was ours and though we didn't have any clear-cut chances we had a fair few shots, none of which were on target. Coventry were big, physical, well organised and that's about it.

Deano has managed to create the league's best defence and worst attack in the same side, some feat that. I do worry that the defence can't really be expected to keep this amazing form up though and if they dip, one goal will be enough to beat us in a lot of games.

The attacking players supporting Bradshaw really need to pull their fingers out, because it's just not good enough from most of them at the moment to be honest.

Thoughts on some individual players:

Baxendale - Our brightest attacking threat in the first half, faded in the second a bit though. His best moments all came when he'd drifted centrally I thought.

Sawyers - The guy's something of a conundrum. I hate the way some people blame him for everything, but I also don't think he's quite the new Riquelme as others seem to. There's no doubt he has talent, but we have to sacrifice a lot to accommodate him. We can only play one formation with him in the side and if he has an off day, which is fairly regular, there seems to be no plan B.

Grimes - An absolute non-entity, give him a chance up front or get rid. He offers nothing out wide. I would like to see him given a chance to lead to line if Bradshaw is still out for Tranmere.

Cook - Got to say I've been a bit underwhelmed by him so far, I remember a pacey young winger who really got at defences and haven't seen much of that so far. He is not helped by Smith playing him in a role that clearly doesn't suit though. Why he was up top and Grimes was wide baffles me.

Any one know how many Saddlers were there?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:06 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Coventry were in the Premier getting 20000+ not a million years ago. The potential support is there but obviously it's a bit of crisis club at the moment.

If I remember correctly our fans were saying that we had to get Manset because Bradshaw & Grimes were pathetic signings :lol:

Is it just me or has Sallian ruined another match thread where I would much rather read the thoughts of those who were actually at the game. Don't even read his posts anyway :roll:

Yes a club like coventry they are a small club they might have potential but so have bristol rover's check there attendance stats from the last 10-15 yrs they have about 10,000 at home and only take 900 away on average, I was speaking to some coventry fans yesterday in the city and even they admitted it's not a football city it never has been. They are actually at the level there supposed to be now all the yrs in the prem when they couldn't even fill Highfield road they we're over achieving.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:06 pm

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Yes a club like coventry they are a small club they might have potential but so have bristol rover's check there attendance stats from the last 10-15 yrs they have about 10,000 at home and only take 900 away on average, I was speaking to some coventry fans yesterday in the city and even they admitted it's not a football city it never has been. They are actually at the level there supposed to be now all the yrs in the prem when they couldn't even fill Highfield road they we're over achieving.

Otis I agree with you sometimes, but sometimes you may as well be on another planet.

Coventry are on the biggest downer in their recent history....

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Otis I agree with you sometimes, but sometimes I think your on another planet.

Coventry are on the biggest downer in their recent history....

Biggest downer or not they only sold 7,000 yesterday that's a million times worse than us selling 4,000 for our home game's they have no competition from any club's and have the whole of Coventry and Warwickshire as a fan base like I put it's not a football city, I saw more people in ice hockey shirts than coventry fc shirt's in the city yesterday. As for the atmosphere in the ground it makes Bescot sound like a galatasaray home game.

Hereforawhile

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:38 pm

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

We're not a footballing city, it's true. However, your statement on attendances is simply incorrect: http://www.european-football-statistics ... b/covc.htm. With the exception of the last two years - and which marked SISU putting the club into its death-throws - the attendance average was more like 17K.

Despite not being a footballing city, our natural level is probably a mid-table Championship side, simply due to the size of the City. But, that looks a long way off under Pressley, and there's every chance we'll be L2 next season.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:03 pm

I am just amazed that you find it surprising that 30-40 % of our support was still drinking when the second half started :mrgreen:

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:25 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:

I am just amazed that you find it surprising that 30-40 % of our support was still drinking when the second half started :mrgreen:

I didn't find it amazing I was one of them I don't normally drink at away grounds £4 for crap lager in a plastic glass doesn't float my boat but I had to take my mind of the first 45 mins of boredom.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:40 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Couldn't care less how many shots we've had.

Quite remarkable post.

Damn those inconvenient statistics.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:11 pm

tinned wrote:

Quite remarkable post.

Making a serious point here for a minute, I don't think it is shots on goal that's the problem, it's our woeful finishing (Bradshaw excepted).

We should have got at least one yesterday. We had 26 shots at Crawley and didn't score. The defining moment of the season for me is Forde trying to back heel the ball into an empty net at Leyton Orient. I still can't believe that.

If anyone has any sensible posts (so not you Salian) why our finishing is comically bad I'd be interested to hear them,because I thought everything else about our performance yesterday was as good as you could reasonably expect.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:

Quite remarkable post.

Making a serious point here for a minute, I don't think it is shots on goal that's the problem, it's our woeful finishing (Bradshaw excepted).

We should have got at least one yesterday. We had 26 shots at Crawley and didn't score. The defining moment of the season for me is Forde trying to back heel the ball into an empty net at Leyton Orient. I still can't believe that.

If anyone has any sensible posts (so not you Salian) why our finishing is comically bad I'd be interested to hear them,because I thought everything else about our performance yesterday was as good as you could reasonably expect.

I would guess at having crud forwards playing as wingers and a decent winger playing as a crud forward and having Manshit as our other option.

Also I would suggest if the budget allowed to get shot of Grimes or Manset and hire an attacking coach, we have a goalkeeping coach why not an attacking coach?
Last edited by IHTC. on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Wouldn't Richard O'Kelly be able to do that?

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:10 pm

On page 2 of this thread there are 6 consecutive comments by Sallian and then a 7th at the top of page 3.

7 comments in a row....is this the behaviour of a someone of sound mind? :lol:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Super Gabor wrote:On page 2 of this thread there are 6 consecutive comments by Sallian and then a 7th at the top of page 3.

We have one Walsall supporter accusing Coventry of being a tiny club with no fans from a City that does not follow football and another blindly quoting stats at himself over 7 posts :shock: We also have the astute windowman insinuating that I spend all my free time on this board despite having joined years later and having posted nearly triple to myself.....

I reckon this board is like the Wolverhampton of the internet - don't even stop for petrol in that place :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:09 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Wouldn't Richard O'Kelly be able to do that?

Obvioulsy not.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:18 pm

pumajaguar wrote: Any one know how many Saddlers were there?

I've seen no official figure, but 900 has been mentioned on the 'Football Forum' League 1 attendances thread.

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:13 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:On page 2 of this thread there are 6 consecutive comments by Sallian and then a 7th at the top of page 3.

We have one Walsall supporter accusing Coventry of being a tiny club with no fans from a City that does not follow football and another blindly quoting stats at himself over 7 posts :shock: We also have the astute windowman insinuating that I spend all my free time on this board despite having joined years later and having posted nearly triple to myself.....

I reckon this board is like the Wolverhampton of the internet - don't even stop for petrol in that place :lol:

well you make up for it now, sorry i couldnt post on saturday, i was in coventry, do you go to many games ?, would you like to have a quick look at my season ticket to see what they look like?, gob shyt, block 6 row l seat147 next home game if you have anything to add, then we dont need to be keyboard warriors do we

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:

Quite remarkable post.

I would guess at having crud forwards playing as wingers and a decent winger playing as a crud forward and having Manshit as our other option.

Also I would suggest if the budget allowed to get shot of Grimes or Manset and hire an attacking coach, we have a goalkeeping coach why not an attacking coach?

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!
IHTC, how could you utter such an idea in earshot of Walsall F.C. management?
Do you want us to suddenly start scoring goals? I'm in my late 60's such a shock would have me
suffering a heart attack, and then who would keep up the production runs at the Frosty Jack cider factory? :lol: :lol:

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:48 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I said coventry are a small club not a tiny club.I also said that coventry is not a football city and a coventry fan posted and backed me up on that, your problem is you are to narrow minded to take on board anything anyone says you always think your right well I'm telling you your wrong about most things most of the time.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 pm

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I said coventry are a small club not a tiny club.I also said that coventry is not a football city and a coventry fan posted and backed me up on that, your problem is you are to narrow minded to take on board anything anyone says you always think your right well I'm telling you your wrong about most things most of the time.

Post of the week and it is only Monday :D

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I reckon this board is like the Wolverhampton of the internet - don't even stop for petrol in that place :lol:

Well why stop for petrol here, if you hate it so much?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Ohhh look at the three of you getting your nickers in a twist :lol:

Who said I hated it on here? Can't find that anywhere in my posts? Maybe I should go 'and support someone else' :roll:

Otis, your correct I am wrong. I never agree with anything you have say....you miss out that most of the post from the Coventry fan was in direct contradiction to your ill-thought out, generalising post which was entirely based on whats in your head rather than reality. I apologise for trying to jump into Otis land to help you see that Coventry are not, in any way shape or form, a small Club. With much humble sorryness - Funk

p.s. narrow minded does not mean correcting someone that is entirely incorrect in their assessment - not sure what dictionary you have been using - in fact looking at the way you write you evidently do not have one.....

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Not sorry I had to 'miss' this game which I understand was played out and finished in the usual way but I shall return for the Barnsley game with my usual expert analysis. I am happy to predict an exciting win for all Walsall fans :D

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:26 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Ohhh look at the three of you getting your nickers in a twist :lol:

Who said I hated it on here? Can't find that anywhere in my posts? Maybe I should go 'and support someone else' :roll:

Otis, your correct I am wrong. I never agree with anything you have say....you miss out that most of the post from the Coventry fan was in direct contradiction to your ill-thought out, generalising post which was entirely based on whats in your head rather than reality. I apologise for trying to jump into Otis land to help you see that Coventry are not, in any way shape or form, a small Club. With much humble sorryness - Funk

p.s. narrow minded does not mean correcting someone that is entirely incorrect in their assessment - not sure what dictionary you have been using - in fact looking at the way you write you evidently do not have one.....

Sorry if I touched a nerve you know your narrow minded it hurts you inside but you can't help it. You say you agree with some things I say you then change your statement to you agree with nothing I say. The truth is you would be much more happy in Otis land because if you were you wouldn't be in your own miserable head.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:29 pm

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Ohhh look at the three of you getting your nickers in a twist :lol:

Sorry if I touched a nerve you know your narrow minded it hurts you inside but you can't help it. You say you agree with some things I say you then change your statement to you agree with nothing I say. The truth is you would be much more happy in Otis land because if you were you wouldn't be in your own miserable head.

I wouldn't like it in Otis land, I like things like grammar.

Sooo, back on topic, Coventry are a small club then?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

Sorry if I touched a nerve you know your narrow minded it hurts you inside but you can't help it. You say you agree with some things I say you then change your statement to you agree with nothing I say. The truth is you would be much tmore happy in Otis land because if you were you wouldn't be in your own miserable head.

Sooo, back on topic, Coventry is a small club then?

They are smaller than at least 35-40 other League clubs yes i know you love facts but it's late and I really can't be arsed to list them even though I know if I did you would cream your pants.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:40 pm

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

Sorry if I touched a nerve you know your narrow minded it hurts you inside but you can't help it. You say you agree with some things I say you then change your statement to you agree with nothing I say. The truth is you would be much tmore happy in Otis land because if you were you wouldn't be in your own miserable head.

Sooo, back on topic, Coventry is a small club then?

They are smaller than at least 35-40 other League clubs yes i know you love facts but it's late and I really can't be arsed to list them even though I know if I did you would cream your pants.

You didn't say they are smaller than anyone else you said they are a small club.

Now who is changing their argument.

Queue toys coming out of my pram and name calling? Nahhh......

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season