Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One, 29th Nov, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Coventry City (A) League One, 29th Nov, 3.00pm

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Nice little unbeaten five match run in the league. Getting frustrated by the lack of goals though - we've had 54 shots in those games but only scored 4 goals. A very average League One strike force would have scored 6. A good attack more like 7-8. Should be five wins in a row, which would have put us top 10.

It is better to score more and win more with more losses...rather than being undefeated and not scoring and not winning.

46 draws in the league only gets you 46 points...and probable relegation.

1 win and 2 losses = 3 points

2 draws and 1 loss = 2 points

3 draws and 0 losses = 3 points

2 wins and 1 loss = 6 points

You can draw and NOT LOSE without scoring, BUT.....

You CAN'T win without scoring

This simple matter of mathematics and football league points rules makes clear the error of Dean Smith's thinking.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 pm

A good result ffs

I was not impressed by October and thought that Smith would need to show an upturn by the end of November - he has. Get Bradshaw fit and its comfortable mid-table. Add Mantom and you can look up. The defence is phenomenal this season. We are a selling team, borderline 3rd/4th division - magic another 1500 fans and I'd be shouting for the playoffs. Smith's no genius but him and O'Kelly make a solid managerial team - Graydons come around once every 30 years or so for us. I'd love to see us score more, but I personally, after seasons of effective direct stuff with Mr Touchy, followed by 2 long ball morons, enjoy how we play.

Didn't listen to the dongles whine tonight, but I'm not quick to judge them :o

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 pm

sallian wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Nice little unbeaten five match run in the league. Getting frustrated by the lack of goals though - we've had 54 shots in those games but only scored 4 goals. A very average League One strike force would have scored 6. A good attack more like 7-8. Should be five wins in a row, which would have put us top 10.

It is better to score more and win more with more losses...rather than being undefeated and not scoring and not winning.

46 draws in the league only gets you 46 points...and probable relegation.

1 win and 2 losses = 3 points

2 draws and 1 loss = 2 points

3 draws and 0 losses = 3 points

2 wins and 1 loss = 6 points

You can draw and NOT LOSE without scoring, BUT.....

You CAN'T win without scoring

This simple matter of mathematics and football league points rules makes clear the error of Dean Smith's thinking.

fudge me! is the library still open?

Brian Clough was a decent manager (you might have heard of him) who always believed in a strong defence and a strong spine to the team. It seems to have served him well over the years no?

You could put your posts on any football team message board with (insert name here) for different managers and players.

Yawn!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:43 pm

We need a bayonet up front,

So how do we go about attracting decent finishers to lill' 0'll Walsall?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Strange how the stats showed us being in total control for the majority of the match, but STILL unable to score, and then the opposition somehow turning the whole thing round until towards the very end of the match we were hanging on for grim death, Fleetwood was indeed similar but at least we HAD scored when we were well on top.......Luckily we appear to have been up against pretty 'average' opposition in these last two matches, however the likes of Preston/MK Dongs etc may be more confident of unzipping our 'magnificent' defence, once they realise we couldn't score if we played all day.....this is why mid table is an optimistic aim...at best. :(

superjorge

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Same old, same old. SAME OLD. I Love Smith, but he will never change. Why keep Cooke central, will Grimes ever start through the middle??? NO.
SAME SUBS..SAME SAME SAME..and it's boring

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:54 pm

For all the possession and playing some decent stuff the result was highly predictable.No cutting edge whatsoever, we had a couple of half chances despite dominating possession for long periods. Eve when those chances did come along It just seemed painfully obvious we wouldn't score.

Solid throughout and never really looked like losing. Felt sorry for Cook for the large part up front on his own trying to win balls hoofed up the field against defenders twice his size. Mansett was predictably pathetic when he came on. We are solid enough not to go down but this lack of goals or even the threat of a goal is boring me rigid

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Never been so bored watching the Saddlers

Smithzzzzzzzz

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Cully wrote: Look forward to a massive change in approach and tactics to this match resulting in an entertaining game and a comprehensive win

Time for radical change Cully. Need to get your missus to knit a new jumper for you.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Was a snooze fest today, it is so boring watching us and Smith has assembled the worst forward line since Mersons days. Coventry were there for the taking but could have played without a keeper. I'm bored with Smith's style of play now.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Was a snooze fest today, it is so boring watching us and Smith has assembled the worst forward line since Mersons days. Coventry were there for the taking but could have played without a keeper. I'm bored with Smith's style of play now.

It's sexy football.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:08 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:Was a snooze fest today, it is so boring watching us and Smith has assembled the worst forward line since Mersons days. Coventry were there for the taking but could have played without a keeper. I'm bored with Smith's style of play now.

It's sexy football.

:-)

It was, for a brief period 2 years ago, apart from that it hasn't been remotely sexy.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

It's sexy football.

It was, for a brief period 2 years ago, apart from that it hasn't been remotely sexy.

How very dare you :lol: :lol:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:16 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

It's sexy football.

How very dare you :lol: :lol:

I'll get dogs abuse from some on here! We're very pretty but the aim is to score goals and win, rarely do we combine the two or look like combining the two. Smith has done a great job making us difficult to beat and playing pretty football, I just want more than that! I want us to attack with pace and not keep stopping and slowing the game down and I want us to have the courage to shoot when we see the goals. A bit like the Buckley days.

wolfchild

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Long time no speak for me on UTS.

I have lived in Coventry for the last 15 years so day in, day out, talk with Cov fans and have always relished the prospect of an away game here while also taking my Cov supporting son (I tried, I really tried but Walsall v Carlisle, Macclesfield, Shrewsbury & Crewe instilled no confidence in him whatsoever) to home games.

Point me saying this is that we may not have really looked like scoring today, but credit where credit is due, our defence was completely sound, bar 2 occasions when Cov actually played the ball dangerously into the box from open play. Otherwise it was from corners and 2 shots from distance which were going nowhere.

I thought that O'Donnel and (Adam) Chambers in particular were rock solid and also thought Sawyers had a great game, even is some of his touches didn't quite come off. Smith has got the defence sorted, the midfield stroke the ball around comfortably, but it's just the attack that needs work. And probably new players we can't afford. However, I don't agree that the team performance is such that people will stop going if they continue to play like that. It's loads better than the last time we were at the Ricoh - took me a sodding year for me to live that one down too. So, a point from a game we were dominant in for long periods away from home and the Custard Bowlers get a tonking - I'll take that.

UTS.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:21 pm

wolfchild wrote:Long time no speak for me on UTS.

I have lived in Coventry for the last 15 years so day in, day out, talk with Cov fans and have always relished the prospect of an away game here while also taking my Cov supporting son (I tried, I really tried but Walsall v Carlisle, Macclesfield, Shrewsbury & Crewe instilled no confidence in him whatsoever) to home games.

Point me saying this is that we may not have really looked like scoring today, but credit where credit is due, our defence was completely sound, bar 2 occasions when Cov actually played the ball dangerously into the box from open play. Otherwise it was from corners and 2 shots from distance which were going nowhere.

I thought that O'Donnel and (Adam) Chambers in particular were rock solid and also thought Sawyers had a great game, even is some of his touches didn't quite come off. Smith has got the defence sorted, the midfield stroke the ball around comfortably, but it's just the attack that needs work. And probably new players we can't afford. However, I don't agree that the team performance is such that people will stop going if they continue to play like that. It's loads better than the last time we were at the Ricoh - took me a sodding year for me to live that one down too. So, a point from a game we were dominant in for long periods away from home and the Custard Bowlers get a tonking - I'll take that.

UTS.

The fair weather fans will stop going as it has come to either.

A, watch a game and do not expect many if any goals or

B, do something less boring instead (i'm an 80's child :D )

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Big Smith fan but that was painfully dull and Coventry were at best 'below par'. Atmosphere and game never really took off, 8,000 in a 30k seater stadium probably didn't help but it all felt a little training ground. We dominated the first half and should have taken advantage, but we didn't. The defence is astonishing, it really is. Confirmed today as the best defence in the division by a goal. IF only we could just get our little legend Bradshaw on the pitch long enough to start chipping the woeful goals scored column.

I'm afraid to say, Manshit has had his chance for me. Dire. Slow. Adds nothing. That performances vs the Blades was because the TV cameras were there and they made 5 changes. Grimes had a few nice touches early today and then dissapeared into an anonymous oblivion and Cook played centrally for 75 minutes without touching the ball and then looked our most lively player when he played wide - not a forward. Manshit, Grimes, Clifford and Morris can go for me - (unsure on Morris, feel he has potential but I'm not sure he will get a chance) and then we can bring another forward in to offer us something different.

As for the players. Defence were all excellent. Chambers ok, still too negative. Cook and Grimes anonymous, Forde woeful when he came on. Sawyers played well but he wasn't as involved in the game as normal. Cain was my MOTM, we passed the ball beautifully through the midfield and actually looked to run towards goal a few times with him. I'd ask if we can have him permanently, especially if Mantom is going to stay crocked. Special mention for Baxendale - I wrote him off a few weeks ago, but today was his best performance in months and months. Energetic, direct, looked to attack. Was it because he was on a big playing surface and so the physical side was less important?

So, a good point - but dissapointed for it not to be more. On the whole - today showed the steps we have taken forward under Smith since the last time we played at the Ricoh...the 5-1. We are solid, we control games, we dictate terms and our defence are a rock. But there are still no signs of us improving up top and the goals scored column is pathetic. 5 unbeaten in the league, best defensive record in the division and we have 2 key players missing.

Onwards.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 pm

It's disappointing that when Bradshaw doesn't play we are toothless up front, Smith has not assembled a good forward line and it is a major weakness that we rely so much on one player, that is why I've lost faith with Smith.

SWS1

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Manset looked good on telly. If he can't be a-rsed to do it week in, week out, that's totally unprofessional. :evil: Get rid or put a bayonet up his a-rse!
Can't see why the management can't sort him out. That's what they get paid their monthly peanuts for! :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:11 am

In a strange and maybe a little perverse way, I'm finding it quite exciting at the moment.

Our brilliant defence and toothless attack means that you always feel that any goal at any time could be the decider. It's like playing golden goal from the first whistle.

Thought we were alright today. Two very good saves by O'Donnell whilst their keeper could have come and sat with us despite us working a few decent positions.

Going to Coventry to do anything other than pay homage to 2 Tone is always a bit depressing and today was no exception. It's grim. Playing in front of 7,000 empty seats every week at our place ain't great but blimey, their place reminds me of that ridiculous ground that Darlington built for themselves.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:02 am

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:10 am

Bradshaw was co-commentator on Sadworld ( Mick Kearns in Tunisia). He came across really well and seemed a nice bloke. Said he was hoping to be fit for Tranmere game.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 am

theres still a certain striker that would be cheap and score goals whos not long out of jail!!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:49 am

wednesburysaddler wrote:theres still a certain striker that would be cheap and score goals whos not long out of jail!!

Would prefer to see us relegated than sign him.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:46 am

Guest wrote:O'Donnell saves.

[url]http://youtu.be/vww-Ag6WDdE

YTS trainee on the camera there! Zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out...

Got a link from that to a great goal against Coventry with a packed home end. Happy days....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKCsRvolWs[/youtube]

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 pm

PT wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:theres still a certain striker that would be cheap and score goals whos not long out of jail!!

Same here, PT. We are desperate, but not THAT desperate.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:35 pm

aaaae wrote:

Got a link from that to a great goal against Coventry with a packed home end. Happy days....

Possibly the best ever Walsall goal at the Bescot.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Really boring game there were at least 400 Walsall fans in the concourse area drinking after the second half kicked off we could still be playing now and not have scored. Dean smith's doing a decent job but we definitely need a striker Manset is up there with the worst player's iv ever seen in a Walsall shirt, Steven pressley is right when he says his attitude is bad he clearly doesn't give a toss not what I like to see at Walsall we can't afford player's like that at the club I'd like us to get bakayoko back and play him he'd put much more effort in.
Walsall fans turned up in good numbers but very quiet for a away game probably due to the surroundings I'm not a big fan of Bescot but it's better than the ricoh it's a ridiculous stadium for a club like coventry 24,000 empty seat's what a joke.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:42 pm

aaaae wrote:

Happy days indeed. I remember that season, in the depths of winter, playing Coventry away and routing them in a 1-5 defeat that drew such plaudits from the blessed Walsall faithful as "worst Walsall side in history" "going down without a whimper" "nailed on for relegation" and "send Paterson to Rushall Olympic". Happy days one and all.

SWS1

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:34 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
PT wrote:

Same here, PT. We are desperate, but not THAT desperate.

No need for a reply to a tongue-in-the-cheek remark from Wednesbury... :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season