Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood (A) league one, Sat 22 Nov

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood away

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:23 pm

sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:W :D

SMITHOUT

Oh dear.

Well done lads great win, well done to all that went!

Up and down like a roller coaster atm, but all positive tonight!

Now, where's Sallian....more chance of Lord Lucan posting on here tonight.

I was just about to post before I even saw that....but as seeing as you called me out....

Sounds like a good defensive performance, and a win obviously helps the survival campaign

But 2 shots on target is poor and wont cut it in most games

I was hoping Grimes might score today...but Smith predictably subjected him to isolation therapy (I guess)...to help the goal situation as he likes to......Of course a 1-0 win will further confirm all of Smith's delusions and misguided theories about isolated strikers and the first goal....so this can all be like mirage in the desert.....or even in the dessert. And it all looks like instant custard but isn't even that.

A post after a win!!?

Gonna frame this.....

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:32 pm

The way Smith has got our defence so tight is extremely impressive. Bradshaw is clearly very good and I think if Grimes gets a goal he could start getting goals. Basically we're one striker away from being play off chasers and with the budget and fanbase we have that's marvellous. Well done Deano. UTS!!!

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:The way Smith has got our defence so tight is extremely impressive. Bradshaw is clearly very good and I think if Grimes gets a goal he could start getting goals. Basically we're one striker away from being play off chasers and with the budget and fanbase we have that's marvellous. Well done Deano. UTS!!!

I will never know whether we will be play off chasers at the end of the season as I will have died from boredom well before then.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:The way Smith has got our defence so tight is extremely impressive. Bradshaw is clearly very good and I think if Grimes gets a goal he could start getting goals. Basically we're one striker away from being play off chasers and with the budget and fanbase we have that's marvellous. Well done Deano. UTS!!!

I will never know whether we will be play off chasers at the end of the season as I will have died from boredom well before then.

Thats okay - the rest of u shall enjoy it then :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:15 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:

Any chance you could fall asleep long enough to not bother using this website again? :D

My, my, my - what a terrible performance and result. Only 1 goal? How much longer will this clueless mong stay in charge?

- Best defence in the league
- Mid-table
- Semi finals of the JPT (already a 'cup run' regardless of whether we go out vs Tranmere)
- Producing a young centre forward that's going to score goals and potentially earn us money.
- Using youth (Flanagan, Kinsella) and young lads (Downing, Forde, Cain) only bodes well for the future.
- Both of our key, best and most influential players having not stamped anything like consistent fitness on the season.
- A few more goals away from a promotion outfit.

Every time my heart beats, the crisis deepens.

SMITH OUT
HUTCHINGS IN!!!!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Sadders wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:

Any chance you could fall asleep long enough to not bother using this website again? :D

My, my, my - what a terrible performance and result. Only 1 goal? How much longer will this clueless mong stay in charge?

- Best defence in the league
- Mid-table
- Semi finals of the JPT (already a 'cup run' regardless of whether we go out vs Tranmere)
- Producing a young centre forward that's going to score goals and potentially earn us money.
- Using youth (Flanagan, Kinsella) and young lads (Downing, Forde, Cain) only bodes well for the future.
- Both of our key, best and most influential players having not stamped anything like consistent fitness on the season.
- A few more goals away from a promotion outfit.

Every time my heart beats, the crisis deepens.

SMITH OUT
HUTCHINGS IN!!!!!

Exactly.

SWS1

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Great result :D but I'm not sure my nerves will stand all the minutes I have to sweat with us on one - nil. :shock: Successful teams nearly always build from a sound defence, which we seem to have. The mid-field ain't so dusty, either and we have decent forwards....who simply find difficulty sticking the ball in the net. I've just got a feeling we are close to having more than one player who is going to run into scoring form (but I think that every week :roll: ).
Still, things are coming together if we go by (most) recent results and PERFORMANCES, n'est-ce pas?
UTS!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:56 pm

I do believe in encouragement, gratitude, getting things in perspective.......

....but I think some posting on this board maybe guilty of narcotic substance abuse

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Fairly even until we rather unexpectedly scored. After that I thought we were the better side without being able to kill off the game which led to a feeling that they would undeservedly scrape an equaliser but thankfully the defence held firm. Thought Purkiss made one superb block in first half then O'Donnell & a clearance from James Chambers(?) towards the end saved the 3 points for us. Thought everyone had pretty reasonable games but Sawyers probably my man of the match. Just wish we were more ruthless when dominating. Was bit worried when I saw Manset lumbering up on the sidelines but he thankfully wasn't on long.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Fleetwood (A) league one, Sat 22 Nov

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Happy with that, especially after reading the pre-match predictions (Optimist aside)!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Great win against a side very hard to beat at home. DS is proving me wrong big time at the moment.

UTS :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Just one last thing to add...Fleetwood hadn't lost at home for 9 months. Nice to break an oppo runs instead of vice versa, which is usually the case. Nice to see Fleetwood's moneybags aren't in the running (yet, won't be long) for promotion to the Championship, they've clearly been spending big again with the likes of Martin Paterson and Stephen Dobbie on the books (still amazed they pulled that one off).

The only downside to today would be the fact Coventry won for the first time in a while, that will fill them with confidence, rather similar to Crewe a few weeks back...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 pm

That was a pretty near perfect away performance against a side who were apparently unbeaten at home for nine months prior to today. Yes, they had a couple of decent chances, but as their manager said after the game, we controlled it for an hour and the only thing missing between Sawyers' goal and half time was the second goal we would have deserved.

Smith gets criticised for being stubborn when he falls short tactically, so it's only fair to praise the way he set us up today. Whilst I'm still not convinced Cook suits playing with his back to goal, what the team selection did do was give us a forward line (Cook, Baxendale, Grimes & Sawyers) whose movement was exceptional and allowed us to break forward with intent. Baxendale showed some of the attacking intent we were used to seeing a couple of seasons ago, Grimes had the best game I've seen him have in a Walsall shirt, and Sawyers was again the man our best moves stemmed from. Had Smith played Manset up front, would we have kept the ball so purposefully? Probably not.

Every player's performance was a 7/10 or above and we seem to be really benefitting from having a stable back five. Our defensive record is now the joint best in the league, which shows how close we are if we can find a few more goals from somewhere. The fact that today was our first league win without Bradshaw could add more confidence into the mix too.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Excellent performance defensively. Deano and the lads got everything spot on, organised, compact, made some incredible tackles and was just impenetrable.

Fleetwood is a propa weird place.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Good solid win that, good to see Sawyers score too after i criticised his lack of goals.

From what i heard/saw on the commentaries it seemed like Grimes played a decent game today too.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:59 pm

latviancheese wrote:
From what i heard/saw on the commentaries it seemed like Grimes played a decent game today too.

Agree. My initial reaction on seeing him in the starting line-up was a very sarcastic one, but I was happy to join in the applause when he was substituted. Perhaps it's a fresh start for him.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Optimistic wrote:Don't you just love it when we lose the first game for a while. The Glass Half Empty lot come streaming out with thoughts of doom and gloom.

Me? I'm loving life. I am confident, I am busy, I find the games more entertaining than some of the hoofball in the past but more than that I am Optimistic.

I think a nice away win for the Saddlers.

Great win to the lads!
I too was bought down by the negative crew - what sad and empty unfulfilling lives they must lead.
Folks - you get one chance, take it and do something.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 am

WOSOC???

All in all this will be a season of mid-table medriocrity, if we're lucky............

Perspective. Such an awful word!

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:That's 5 match threads started by yours truly

W3
D1
L1

Period

60% win rate
2.5 points per game

Welsh out :mrgreen: :arrow:

Maybe he can go on holiday more often.

His life is one big holiday. He is back this afternoon so will be chuffed when he finds out the result once the carrier pigeon arrives up the valleys.

Swift, surely?

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:11 am

Awful kit! (Moan, moan...)

http://youtu.be/Add_LLUw2HA

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 am

The Football League Show on SMITHIN/OUT.

http://youtu.be/JI1VKXSCZW4

gray
Glitterati

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 am

A really good performance. Andy Taylor was absolutely immense. Playing in a position that can sometimes go unnoticed, I thought he was easily the best player on the pitch. Sawyers had a good game too and I was really impressed with Cain. He had a really dodgy start but grew into the game and gave the side a real balance that we sometimes lack. Onwards and Upwards!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am

Just back. A very competent away performance. O'Donnell has started making points-winning saves in the last few weeks and to me that is the big difference. He wasn't necassarily making mistakes earlier in the season but he wasn't pulling out a save to win us a point or three either. So he would be my MOTM.

We looked dangerous on the break but the were one or two heart-stopping moments.

The parsnip soup starter was a delight, Sid Little's boozer was exactly what you'd expect and we found a natty little mod shop hidden away. Called Northern Rags if you like that kind of thing and happen to be in Fleetwood any time soon.

Top awayday.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:08 pm

On balance, a deserved win. Fleetwood had the better of the exchanges in the first half but O'Donnell only made one save. We totally dominated the second half until a frantic last ten minutes (+ 5 minutes stoppage time) when Fleetwood pressed hard for a last-gasp equaliser.

Defensively, we were sound - O'Donnell with a couple of good saves, Purkiss and Taylor in top form and James Chambers as cool as ever. Downing worried me a little. He doesn't look as composed and confident as he did when Butler was his partner. However, his team-mates ensured that his mistakes were never punished by the home side.

Our midfield is just not good enough - not defensively, where we work hard enough to cancel out the opposition, but in the creative department. Very few penetrative passes come from midfield, just the usual slow, tippy-tappy possession stuff which allows opponents to re-group. As for midfield players making positive runs, supporting the man-in-possession AHEAD of the ball - absolutely no chance! Perhaps Deano could show our midfield players a video of John Wark in his heyday at Ipswich and Liverpool (Yes, I know that gives my age away!). Cain and Adam Chambers both played very deep. I'm sure that they would get nosebleeds if they ventured upfield more than 10 yards in front of our defence. I was a bit surprised at the words of praise for Grimes in a couple of the posts above. I thought that he was totally and completely anonymous. He didn't do things badly - he just didn't do anything! I watched him closely to see if his work off the ball was helping others - no, it wasn't. However, I don't feel critical of Grimes, rather sympathetic. He is being asked to do a job for which he is clearly unfitted - a regular criticism of DS, playing players out of position (e.g. Baxendale). The manager says that Grimes is a good striker. If that be true, why not try him there? We are vulnerable by relying so heavily on Bradshaw. On the subject of Baxendale (played on the right wing), he is technically very gifted and never hides or shirks responsibility but is clearly not comfortable with the physical side of the game. He can't head a ball, under pressure, to save his life, either.

I would apply the same positives and negatives to Sawyers as to Baxendale. I would like to see him and Baxendale making runs from midfield into the penalty-area and trying some shots (see comments in previous paragraph). Cook is another player who seems to be in search of a rôle. I wonder if DS and ROK know what his best position is?

Altogether, a very encouraging performance but still very much a "work in progress". We have actually won a match without Bradshaw!!! I do sometimes worry about the apparent fixed mindsets of Messrs Smith and O'Kelly, though.

Highbury is a nice, tidy little ground, albeit very hemmed in by housing for over half of its perimeter. If they were to reach (and stay in for at least 3 seasons) the Championship then major redevelopment would be needed. Fleetwood's recent progress has been very impressive. Only six years ago, they were playing in the division that Rushall Olympic are playing in now!! It just goes to show what a wealthy, ambitious chairman can achieve! :D

The staff were very friendly there and I can recommend the fish & chips from the Highbury Chippie, opposite the ground. Mid you, if you can't get fresh fish from Fleetwood, where can you get it?!

UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Our midfield is just not good enough - not defensively, where we work hard enough to cancel out the opposition, but in the creative department. Very few penetrative passes come from midfield, just the usual slow, tippy-tappy possession stuff which allows opponents to re-group. As for midfield players making positive runs, supporting the man-in-possession AHEAD of the ball - absolutely no chance! Perhaps Deano could show our midfield players a video of John Wark in his heyday at Ipswich and Liverpool (Yes, I know that gives my age away!). Cain and Adam Chambers both played very deep. I'm sure that they would get nosebleeds if they ventured upfield more than 10 yards in front of our defence. I was a bit surprised at the words of praise for Grimes in a couple of the posts above. I thought that he was totally and completely anonymous. He didn't do things badly - he just didn't do anything! I watched him closely to see if his work off the ball was helping others - no, it wasn't. However, I don't feel critical of Grimes, rather sympathetic. He is being asked to do a job for which he is clearly unfitted - a regular criticism of DS, playing players out of position (e.g. Baxendale). The manager says that Grimes is a good striker. If that be true, why not try him there? We are vulnerable by relying so heavily on Bradshaw. On the subject of Baxendale (played on the right wing), he is technically very gifted and never hides or shirks responsibility but is clearly not comfortable with the physical side of the game. He can't head a ball, under pressure, to save his life, either.

I would apply the same positives and negatives to Sawyers as to Baxendale. I would like to see him and Baxendale making runs from midfield into the penalty-area and trying some shots (see comments in previous paragraph). Cook is another player who seems to be in search of a rôle. I wonder if DS and ROK know what his best position is?

I'm not going to disagree with you completely, but I think you're being pretty harsh on Grimes and Baxendale, who both had good games. Baxendale was constantly an outlet on the right, carried the ball forward a number of times, and helped us to keep the ball in their half for large parts of the first half in particular. Grimes did similar on the opposite side.

If what you're after is a pair of wingers who repeatedly get to the byline and whip crosses in (can't say I know who John Wark is!), Baxendale and Grimes certainly don't do that, but nor should they. Who exactly would they be whipping these crosses in for? Our system, which is completely, 100% dependent on Sawyers making us tick from 'the hole' means we're never going to have two out and out strikers challenging for the ball in the box - like it or not, that's how Smith sets us up to play.

I completely agree with you on Cook, who for me is ideally suited to the roles Baxendale and Grimes played in yesterday. Our shortage of options up front means that Cook's essentially the fall guy (quite literally given the way he was assaulted by their centre halves yesterday), who's the least worst option we have in that position when Bradshaw can't play. I'm not quite sure why Smith keeps saying how good a striker Cook is when he didn't play in that position last time he played for us and can't have played there since, but there you go.

When Sawyers isn't creating chances, scoring goals, or playing well, there's an argument to say we'd be better off playing with two 'wingers' and two strikers. Given that he had a good game and scored yesterday, and that we claimed three points away from home, I don't think now's the time to make that argument though.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 pm

We all criticise the lack of goals, but give Deano credit where it's due, he knows how to build a defence.

I was worried when I saw the front four, as to me, three - Bax, Grimes and Cook - were outside their best position. In the end we edged what was a fairly close game, although we had a good spell after scoring and the first 25 minutes of the second half.

I want some of what they've given Purkiss, never seen him looking so good.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

For those asking about John Wark, he is a former team mate of our own Michael Cain, as this picture shows.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I was worried when I saw the front four, as to me, three - Bax, Grimes and Cook - were outside their best position. In the end we edged what was a fairly close game, although we had a good spell after scoring and the first 25 minutes of the second half.

I realise how cringeworthy this might sound, but it's almost as if Smith tries to play Spain's 'false 9' system of a couple of years ago, where the idea is that players don't have set positions as such, just as long as there are enough options for the man on the ball. Regardless of how threatening Bax, Grimes and Cook prove to be, you can't dispute the fact that all three are technically very good, so theoretically suit that way of playing.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

bangsection wrote:For those asking about John Wark, he is a former team mate of our own Michael Cain, as this picture shows.

I remember that side. Terribly unbalanced, too many right wingers.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:I was worried when I saw the front four, as to me, three - Bax, Grimes and Cook - were outside their best position. In the end we edged what was a fairly close game, although we had a good spell after scoring and the first 25 minutes of the second half.

I realise how cringeworthy this might sound, but it's almost as if Smith tries to play Spain's 'false 9' system of a couple of years ago, where the idea is that players don't have set positions as such, just as long as there are enough options for the man on the ball. Regardless of how threatening Bax, Grimes and Cook prove to be, you can't dispute the fact that all three are technically very good, so theoretically suit that way of playing.

I was thinking something similar myself, he wants to have players that can move across the front line at will. It's a good idea, although I sometimes worry that at this level it can confuse our own players as much as the opposition.

I'm not a huge fan of the wide man switching flanks, I can understand it if we are struggling for a break through, but we still do it even if one of them is getting real joy against his full back, which really annoys me!

Many people planning to attend the Coventry game? Hopefully we can take a fair few down to the rent dodgers!

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season