Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood (A) league one, Sat 22 Nov

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
clawtheolder
Glitterati

Re: Fleetwood (A) league one, Sat 22 Nov

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
bangsection wrote:For those asking about John Wark, he is a former team mate of our own Michael Cain, as this picture shows.

I remember that side. Terribly unbalanced, too many right wingers.

Bob remembers that team, he was in the same camp :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
bangsection wrote:For those asking about John Wark, he is a former team mate of our own Michael Cain, as this picture shows.

Nah, you're thinking of the opposition! :mrgreen:

(For the benefit of the younger UTSers, John Wark is 5th from the left on the back row and Michael Caine is 3rd from the left on the front row).

Actually, on reflection, take out Stallone and Caine and that's not a bad team! :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Apparently, 'Sly' wanted a rewrite so that he (playing the goalkeeper) took and scored a last minute penalty winner.
The actual footballers in the cast told him to forget it, so he had to make do with saving a penalty instead.

SWS1

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Strongest feature there was de fence :lol:
Also, the referee looks a bit authoritarian :lol: :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

(For the benefit of the younger UTSers, John Wark is 5th from the left on the back row and Michael Caine is 3rd from the left on the front row).

Actually, on reflection, take out Stallone and Caine and that's not a bad team! :D

I thought he was 3rd from the right? (not including the Jerry)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:42 pm

pumajaguar wrote:We all criticise the lack of goals, but give Deano credit where it's due, he knows how to build a defence.

I was worried when I saw the front four, as to me, three - Bax, Grimes and Cook - were outside their best position. In the end we edged what was a fairly close game, although we had a good spell after scoring and the first 25 minutes of the second half.

I want some of what they've given Purkiss, never seen him looking so good.

Have to agree, he was, again, immense, we have two 'proper full backs (with Taylor) in our team that must be some of the best in our league!
Great day out, great support too, even the old codgers around me were joining in with the singing and chanting!
This was a great result, remember Fleetwood had not lost at home for 9 months prior to the visit of the mighty reds. And yes, the result DID spoil many a fixed odd coupon.
The word to describe our victory yesterday was 'different', we looked a decent team, and, given the input of a decent striker, we could make mid table or even beyond! :shock:
Very special mention too for Bax, he ran himself into the ground for our cause, Sawyers is a must for our team, he is worlds apart in the quality stakes (despite still pulling out of dodgy tackles, I can only think that he must have had a 'bad' experience in his earlier career. :? ). O'Donnells first half miracle save kept us well and truly in the match, but overall we controlled most of the game and made Fleetwood look very 'ordinary'.
Anyone else get caught in that 'works' traffic control? 15 minutes stood still coming in, 12 minutes going back, incredible delays for such 'simple' road works! :twisted: :twisted:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

I thought he was 3rd from the right? (not including the Jerry)

He'd wark into our side.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm

The way our fan base seems to be going I wouldn't be surprised if some would rather have the Nazi officer in the side.

Louise
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 am

Well I did listen to an interesting conversation between fans on Saturday along the lines of Ched Evans may be a scumbag but he would get us goals !!
We played well and deserved the win. For me Andy Taylor was man of the match closely followed by Sawyers .
O Donnell is fast becoming a really good keeper and I love how he Walker like marshals the defence.
Fleetwood was a great away day, cracking ground, friendly stewards and good facilities.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 am

Louise wrote:Well I did listen to an interesting conversation between fans on Saturday along the lines of Ched Evans may be a scumbag but he would get us goals !!
We played well and deserved the win. For me Andy Taylor was man of the match closely followed by Sawyers .
O Donnell is fast becoming a really good keeper and I love how he Walker like marshals the defence.
Fleetwood was a great away day, cracking ground, friendly stewards and good facilities.

I bet fans of every club in the Championship, League 1 and League 2 has said that, Louise. Very Depressing.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

So would I be right in thinking that Cook played up top and Grimes out wide again?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

quote="Rushall Saddler"]So would I be right in thinking that Cook played up top and Grimes out wide again?[/quote]

Well he tried, but was kicked up in the air so often by the brutish defenders that he probably though he was playing not only 'up top' but through the air! Grimes tried to play out wide but I don't think this is by any means his natural position, so was a little ineffective, which goes a good way to pacifying
his detractors! Have to agree with Deano regarding the switching cross field passes, they were superb!
Manset come on to the field late on, but was exhausted already by trotting to the byline in his 'warm up' routine! :lol: :lol:

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:quote="Rushall Saddler"]So would I be right in thinking that Cook played up top and Grimes out wide again?

Well he tried, but was kicked up in the air so often by the brutish defenders that he probably though he was playing not only 'up top' but through the air! Grimes tried to play out wide but I don't think this is by any means his natural position, so was a little ineffective, which goes a good way to pacifying
his detractors! Have to agree with Deano regarding the switching cross field passes, they were superb!
Manset come on to the field late on, but was exhausted already by trotting to the byline in his 'warm up' routine! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Gotcha. Thanks AM.

Was just thinking that as Cook is more accustomed to playing out wide when Bradshaw is in the team, coupled with Grimes being one of the best finishers he has seen, they may have switched roles. I dare say they may have done at points during the game with our fluid system. Either way, it worked which is the main thing. :D

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:56 pm

gray wrote:The way our fan base seems to be going I wouldn't be surprised if some would rather have the Nazi officer in the side.

At least we might get a bit of variety

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
gray wrote:The way our fan base seems to be going I wouldn't be surprised if some would rather have the Nazi officer in the side.

At least we might get a bit of variety

Ar, some goose-step overs a bit like Marshy used to do.

SWS1

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Ar. Heil do for us. :mrgreen:

SWS1

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 pm

He might help to blitz the opposition goal :mrgreen:
Or camp out in their half, all reich? :mrgreen:
I don't suppose they played much footy in Germany then, as I believe their leader only had one ball :mrgreen:

Oh, come on! I've got me coat on. :mrgreen:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 am

That was good to watch, is this what the REAL Walsall F.C. are capable of? Captivating, flowing movement, some of Sawyers 'deft' flicks were superb. We WERE good, and looked good, keep this up and we'll finish Mid Table, something none of us would have imagined when we were relegation fodder earlier in the season!

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:That was good to watch, is this what the REAL Walsall F.C. are capable of? Captivating, flowing movement, some of Sawyers 'deft' flicks were superb. We WERE good, and looked good, keep this up and we'll finish Mid Table, something none of us would have imagined when we were relegation fodder earlier in the season!

I imagined it and I'm pretty sure a number of others did too.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 pm

SWS1 wrote:He might help to blitz the opposition goal :mrgreen:
Or camp out in their half, all reich? :mrgreen:
I don't suppose they played much footy in Germany then, as I believe their leader only had one ball :mrgreen:

Oh, come on! I've got me coat on. :mrgreen:

There's some daft Focke (as in Wulf :roll: ) on here! :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:12 am

Messerschmidt out?

Great result.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season