Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7:45

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 am

Is Smith just thick or completely pig headed?

Keep doing the same things and we'll keep getting the same outcomes.

Big decisions to be made Dean.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:24 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Just to top of the night....hereeeeeeee's Sallian....
If you posted on here after we won games I would actually read what you type when we lose. You can't be bothered when we win, I can't be bothered to read your inane drivel when we lose.

I also skip his posts - well life's short ay it?

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 am

Sadders wrote:Consistent if not fickle Cully, welcome back. Where have you been since Crawley? I feel almost sad that you chose Walsall..what suffering you will go through in your life! Smith says we were below par and not good enough, perhaps some looked tired. Sounds about par. Onwards.

If we aren't champions in late March, can we give ring up Jose down at Chelsea?

Alternatively, if we don't make the JPT final and the playoff final, can we get fergie out of retirement?

I shall raise an ironic smirk to some of you when we eventually go down (likely within 5 years regardless of manager) and go through some real 'low times' near the bottom of league 2.

Thanks for the welcome, [I think you need to check the dictionary regards fickle :idea: ] I'm sorry I missed attending the last few games but it appears I didn't miss anything, in particular your inability to recognise SMITHOUT's failings and your slavish acceptance of his excuses which you list with pride..........'below par', 'not good enough' and 'some looked tired'. 'Onwards', what does that mean? If you had attended last night you would have seen a tactical performance that was the same as usual from a team that barring one player was the same as usual playing the same as usual way. No one looked tired, there was plenty of effort from the team, in particular from the Chambers twins, Downing who actually played well, Purkiss and Taylor. Lots of procession but a total lack of urgency or attacking threat when we have the ball, no crosses as usual, no shots but just a mess of pointless and tedious passing in the oppositions half.
Regards the rest of your post and your wishful prediction I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't think you do either. I would be interested to know what you actually look for from our players/team when you watch a match and what the objective is rather than bursting into tears when someone has the temerity to cast into doubt the God like status you attach to SMITHOUT.

Fleetwood up next..............see you there for more pain for the occasional gain.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 am

If you posted on here after we won games I would actually read what you type when we lose. You can't be bothered when we win, I can't be bothered to read your inane drivel when we lose.

I understand people being upset after losing to those; but just ask yourself this question; local rivalry apart, has there been any time in the last 25 years when you would swap places with Shrewsbury Town?

Its called life, get over it.

The vast majority of people never say "well done" when they receive good service.

The vast majoirty of people will complain then they receive bad service.

I hope you fall into the first category, but very much doubt it.

Move on.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 am

You only have to look at the shrewsbury fc forum to see what they think of us and phrases like defensive and predictable being used quite a lot if they can see it after 90 minutes why can't smith.
I really hope he can sort out this problem it's starting to get ridiculous now if we'd lost last night 3-2 I wouldn't be worried but everyone knows he won't take anything on board from yesterday's performance we go to Fleetwood Saturday same performance similar result then onto coventry and same again. I've put on here month's ago smiths more like ginger wenger than ginger mourinho and nothing changed he's so arrogant and pig headed it's unbelievable.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am

Smith will not change a thing. He has already said playing 2 up front didn't work at Scunthorpe ignoring the fact playing 1 up front hasn't worked plenty of times this season.
It wouldn't hurt to change things especially in games like last night when a change of system to 2 up front would have been nothing ventured nothing gained. That he refuses to change his system sometimes just shows how one tracked he is.
Smith Out.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 am

A few comments from Blue & Amber after 2 games they can see the problem,wake up Deano & your pupeteer before we swap places with them in the league pyramid'

Walsall look organised but offering little up front

Disappointed with Walsall looked a very poor, slow and cumbersome side. Can see why they need Bradshaw so much as totally toothless up front.

Personally I thought Walsall were very predictable . Can't remember them having a shot at goal .

No wonder 'Bradders' is their hero, they have absolutely ZERO threat without him n his flappy hair up front.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

I understand people being upset after losing to those; but just ask yourself this question; local rivalry apart, has there been any time in the last 25 years when you would swap places with Shrewsbury Town?

Its called life, get over it.

The vast majority of people never say "well done" when they receive good service.

The vast majoirty of people will complain then they receive bad service.

I hope you fall into the first category, but very much doubt it.

Move on.

Taking life tips from Sheffield Saddler - I really have made it :lol:

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:55 am

Graydon48 wrote:Smith will not change a thing. He has already said playing 2 up front didn't work at Scunthorpe ignoring the fact playing 1 up front hasn't worked plenty of times this season.
It wouldn't hurt to change things especially in games like last night when a change of system to 2 up front would have been nothing ventured nothing gained. That he refuses to change his system sometimes just shows how one tracked he is.
Smith Out.

All anyone needs to do is look at last season's final league 1 table in the goals for column and then look at it now we're currently 17 game's into the season and we've scored 14 goals different player's same stats he will never change he's drilled the philosophy into the player's heads so much that after the game yesterday downing said something like we need to bounce back and become hard to beat. It's like they have all forgot that football is about winning game's and to win game's you have to score goals.
We've won 4 game's out of 17 in the league so far this season only Yeovil and crewe and scored less goals and they are the bottom 2 teams.

SWS1

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
SWS1 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Not really bothered about tonight. Lets focus on promotion and the Football League Trophy.

Well I'm Donalding well bothered. A decent cup run is just what we needed for the revenue and the morale boost. But it's not to be in the "worth FA" cup. So, let's get to winning the REAL DEAL pot - the magnificent JPT. Way hey! :D
And on into the playoffs, obviously :D

You typed Donalding rather than donald didn't you? :arrow:

I believe in using the correct parts of speech, except for ironic purposes (although I'm not sure about the appropriateness of the capital letter :? Auto-correct done it :lol: )
Examples:
We are donalded this year.
The referee was a donalder.
The Premier League can donald off.
It's a donald up again (e.g. Shrewsbury)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 pm

We dont play with 1 up front though do we? We play 3, well we do on paper, but not in reality. Cook was signed to score goals, Sawyers should be scoring more i don't care how good he is he does not score enough considering he is playing in a "free role", Forde should be chipping in, maybe the odd goal from Chambers or Cain.

Its just no one else ever scores, or even attempts too. Its not rocket science, Bradshaw is not a great footballer, but when he is in the box he rarely takes more than one touch and he has a pop at goal. I wasnt even there and didnt even bother listening to the game to the game but i know what happened. So does everyone who has watched us play in the last 18 months. Pretty much everyone predicted a piss weak defeat to them in the replay.

We seem to cross it more often now, but its still the same old problems, there is only ever one target. You cant cross it to one bloke, its nonsense. The opposite winger has to come inside to support the striker, a central player like Sawyers also needs to get in the box etc etc.

Some games it clicks into place and we look very good, more of the time we dont. Its pretty boring but i suppose nothing will change as we toddle along safely in League 1. No one really pays to watch a defence do they?

Smith appears to have abandoned the "youth" too. Bit odd. Considering thats one of his "things"

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 pm

It was a shame that on night when the fans really got there in numbers and created a great atmosphere, the team didn't bother to show the same enthusiasm.

I thought last week that Sheff Utd had a 'not that bovvered' attitude and didn't lose much sleep over losing given their other priorities.

Unfortunately, we gave exactly the same impression last night. The red card (very harsh I thought but I haven't seen TV footage) apart, we seemed to go through the motions and anyone who thought we were guilty of over-passing it needs to go to STFC for a recording of the match (or Specsavers) because we hardly passed it at all. The one time we did, with any intent, we had our only first half chance which Manset headed a mile wide.

Which brings me to the other real point thats been said a million times. If Bradshaw doesn't play, we don't score. And if anyone argues 'what about Sheff Utd?', two of their players touched it after Sawyers did to help it on its way.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:04 pm

As it happens, we get a rest now before the Tranmere game so last night's defeat could prove to be a blessing.

If Smith had the same attitude, I can live with it even though it was not nice losing to a League 2 team. If he sent out the team to win then I'm worried but the no risk policy with TB and SM speaks volumes

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:05 pm

theres a bloke training with sheff utd at moment who knows where the net is would be cheap and is looking for a club.

discuss

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:08 pm

You cant even laugh at that Manset header, it actually defies logic and physics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30112608

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:23 pm

No Bradshaw, no party.

If he and Mantom can stay fit I think we'll make mid-table, if not I think I think we'll finish around 16th to 20th.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Still something not right with the Mantom situation,Smith says one day he's going to get a full game,next day he's not on the bench.Is he sold subject to contract.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Nope, felt his knee again.

We're Walsall not the KGB, why would not playing Mantom at all for months benefit us in selling him in anyway? Never mind the fact this injury could LOWER his price tag because of a possible injury problem.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Just checked out the stats, Manset and Grimes have made 34 appearances between them this season, producing a mighty one goal for their efforts.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:46 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Nope, felt his knee again.

We're Walsall not the KGB, why would not playing Mantom at all for months benefit us in selling him in anyway? Never mind the fact this injury could LOWER his price tag because of a possible injury problem.

Martin Butler, Jimmy Walker, Paul Ritchie

...all prevented from being selected for contractual reasons.

Not suggesting anything is going on with Mantom - but it's certainly a bit fishy in that he was fit enough to come on for 30 mins against Sheffield United, but then hasn't been in a squad since. Surely they're training for more than 30 mins a day, so what would he have done to himself in the 30mins vs Sheff Utd, that he hadn't done in the previous 2 months of training?

Knee injuries are horrid - I've had 3 myself, and they can take a lot of time to get over

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:52 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Just checked out the stats, Manset and Grimes have made 34 appearances between them this season, producing a mighty one goal for their efforts.

Hmm yeh lets do a little statistical analysis.

If you added up all the appearances made by all players this season, excluding Richard ODonnell, there have been a total of 218 appearances across 23 different outfield players.

In all of those appearances by those 23 players, only 13 goals have been returned.

That's 1 goal for every 16 appearances per player.

So, to play devils advocate, Grimes and Manset aren't that far behind the club average.

I'll say it again - it's not the personnel - it's the style of play.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Just wait until we've got a full squad to pick from - tick
..............and some extra loan players, perhaps another couple of mid fielders because we badly need some more - tick
............. and another striker who looks good on a you tube video and has a funny sounding name - tick
..............and we have the best finisher ever at the club - tick
..............and SMITHOUT says this is the best squad ever - tick
............. and we get a decent referee and some luck because we've been very, very unlucky - tick
..............and we have our largest playing budget for four seasons - tick
..............and we sell chips - tick
..............and we have a large proportion of our fan base who are satisfied every week provided they can sing 'Ginger Mourinho' - tick
..............and every opposition team have never seen us play or know of our one tactic and doesn't have a slightest clue how to prevent us walking the ball into their net after wearing the grass out with a blistering 86 pass interchange between every member of the team except our one striker who can run around distracting the opposition with his bouncy hair - PROBLEM

I agree with Phil...............it's not the players fault it's the style of play that SMITHOUT has drummed into them season after season after season.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:32 pm

I don't think it is so much the style of play, there is nowt wrong with trying to be a passing team. It's more to do with the lack of flexibility to switch between styles when necessary. We are too predictable and are very easy to play against. Not sure if it's down to the inability of smith to realise that we need to be able to adapt and adopt different styles according to how a particular match is going or the inability of the players to execute it. Maybe a bit of both. Last night was one of a fair few shambles I have witnessed this season. We needed to go there and match them for pride and passion then impose our game on them. We didn't do either. It shows frailties of our squad that we are so reliant on Bradshaw to make the team tick. He is a good player but no world beater. Manset and Grimes are a joke, get rid

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Nope, felt his knee again.

Are you saying that smith felt Mantoms knee and he refused to play because of sexual harassment.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 pm

I don't accept all this 'felt his knee again' nonsense surrounding Mantom. This is a professional footballer, to whom being 'fit' is part and parcel of his profession.
In my last few years of work, as I eeked out my time towards retirement, I was required to lift VERY heavy weights of industrial fasteners (bolts & nuts etc) indeed it was expected that I should be able to swing 1/2 cwt sacks of 'em as if they were bars of chocs. I was in my very late sixties, but I was not expected to cry off work cus I had a bad back, I just got on with what was expected of you to earn a living.
This moly codling of Mantom is soooo embarrassing, either get him match fit, sell him or get him to sling his hook!
Rant over.
See you all at Fleetwood for more tippy- tappy sideways and backwards shexey football with no end product.
UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 am

philthesaddler wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:Just checked out the stats, Manset and Grimes have made 34 appearances between them this season, producing a mighty one goal for their efforts.

If you added up all the appearances made by all players this season, excluding Richard ODonnell, there have been a total of 218 appearances across 23 different outfield players.

In all of those appearances by those 23 players, only 13 goals have been returned.

So, to play devils advocate, Grimes and Manset aren't that far behind the club average.

you hit the nail on the head :) now i know i am not alone

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 am

Cully wrote:Just wait until we've got a full squad to pick from - tick
..............and some extra loan players, perhaps another couple of mid fielders because we badly need some more - tick
............. and another striker who looks good on a you tube video and has a funny sounding name - tick
..............and we have the best finisher ever at the club - tick
..............and SMITHOUT says this is the best squad ever - tick
............. and we get a decent referee and some luck because we've been very, very unlucky - tick
..............and we have our largest playing budget for four seasons - tick
..............and we sell chips - tick
..............and we have a large proportion of our fan base who are satisfied every week provided they can sing 'Ginger Mourinho' - tick
..............and every opposition team have never seen us play or know of our one tactic and doesn't have a slightest clue how to prevent us walking the ball into their net after wearing the grass out with a blistering 86 pass interchange between every member of the team except our one striker who can run around distracting the opposition with his bouncy hair - PROBLEM

I agree with Phil...............it's not the players fault it's the style of play that SMITHOUT has drummed into them season after season after season.

an accurate analysis.... :) the conformists can no longer keep the record player spinning the disc without obvious scratching noises

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 am

belgiansaddler wrote:I don't think it is so much the style of play, there is nowt wrong with trying to be a passing team. ............ Manset and Grimes are a joke, get rid

Its not about 'not passing' but the nature of the passing (where it takes place, its objective, its urgency, its options etc)....some of the adaptability....formation as well as strategy, tactics, movement etc.

Manset and Grimes have the qualities to do a good job if given a structure that supports their abilities.....if we had one isolated defender....and we were conceding 20 goals a match....would we blame that defender....or the manager for asking him to do an impossible job?

And get rid of those two and replace them with who? Another two who will also face exactly the same problem.....they are alone, one at a time, stranded...relying on 100% accurate passing...along with SPACE which is less because there are SO MANY DEFENDERS READY TO DEAL WITH ONLY ONE STRIKER....

I would rather Smith goes than the players.........but better than that is that his rigidity goes.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 am

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........Yaaahhhhhhhoooooooooooooo

spifffffffingggggggggggggggg.......

I am celebrating the Andy Savile and Stuart Rimmer goals against Manchester City....3-3 draw when we came went 2-0 up.....then went 2-3 down then made it 3-3....and all the inflatable bananas could not stop us..... I had much more expectation of goals being scored under Coakley and Barnwell when we finished bottom with a run of 15 losses (British record) Those were the days of two strikers.......we are sophisticated now....we have evolved with the game so that we realize that if you want to win you play one striker and hardly ever score....and concentrate on passing the ball in itself rather than passing the ball to make as many chances as possible for a sufficient number of players who have a chance of scoring.

Anyway....that was a celebration of goal scoring and drawing (with Man City who went up in 2nd place...along with Chelsea)......we drew with Man city twice that season......well done Walsall (See not all doom and gloom from me) All the inflatable bananas couldn't stop us...even though our inflatable swifts kept popping as they were crud quality

How many of my detractors cheer goals that happened over 20yrs ago? See..... I destroyed them all.....we didn't even win the Man City game and I am celebrating....destroyed them again...twice in one celebration

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 am

philthesaddler wrote:

I see your point, but on that basis you'd be expecting every outfield player to contribute the same number of goals, when the forwards are obviously expected, and needed, to do more.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season