Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7:45

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 pm

SWS1 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Not really bothered about tonight. Lets focus on promotion and the Football League Trophy.

Well I'm Donalding well bothered. A decent cup run is just what we needed for the revenue and the morale boost. But it's not to be in the "worth FA" cup. So, let's get to winning the REAL DEAL pot - the magnificent JPT. Way hey! :D
And on into the playoffs, obviously :D

You typed Donalding rather than fudge didn't you? :arrow:

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Just back from a truly awful experience ruined by a complete tool of a referee. We were not great bit got absolutely nothing all night, examplified when Grimes and one of their guys collided, both went down and he booked Grimes. Grimes also manhandled in the box and was penalised. Not sure about the red, genuine challenge for the ball.

We started both halves well and faded badly. Second to most things with Cain and Chambers outnumbered. Sawyers just not on it and Forde offered nothing - missed a great chance just after half time. Manset wasn't great but he got zero service from midfield or the wings, so maybe not all his fault. Back 4 not bad apart from a couple of Purkiss brainfarts. J Chambers probably MOM for me.

If Chambers gets a 3 game ban now and no Mantom or Bradshaw.........

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Guest wrote:The one cup I am not bothered about is the JPT. To play in a three-quarters empty Wembley on that awful pitch. A far cry from the 'hallowed turf' of bygone dreams.

If Walsall fc ever get to Wembley it's obviously going to be quite empty it holds 90 thousand fans so unless we convince the whole of the beechdale estate we're Manchester United in disguise and there's a free can of special brew waiting for you there we ain't gonna fill it.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Yet another predictable outcome in the Dean Smith 'lone survivor isolated striker' mission

As long as Dean Smith sticks to his philosophy and principles:-

* 1st goal is most important, because we don't need to try and score lots of goals when we have such good footballing principles

* It is important that we engineer situations where 4 players are on one wing trying to cross the ball to one man, its not the goal threat that counts....but passing the ball around many players,...even though time is running out, enough times to make the cross....this is an outstanding principled position which deserves praise...unmoved by the clamour for actual scoring chances and goals

* Doesn't matter that we have one shot on goal each half, as long we pass it around in our own half for 20 minutes

* Grimes is best striker in world...so I'll give him 35minutes because this top striker isn't needed because losing 0-1 all the time is very honorable for a principled man...who doesn't get affected, or wobbled from his principles by results.

* Keep playing the way we are and the results will come, one day we will win another game 1-0...or draw 1-1 and that is very honourable....as long as we stick to our principles

* Football is not about success in results, its about sticking to your principles...even if it means scoring....5 goals in 30 matches...that shows great character and principles

* Even if we go out of league football and end up losing the club altogether through another few seasons of not scoring......it is still wrong to play with two strikers, we need to stick to our principles

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Useless!

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Disgraceful

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 pm

fudge fuming.

It wasn't the bad performance.

It wasn't Manset doing fudge all other than somehow being able to twist his body so he could header the only chance he got wide.

It wasn't Chambers' tackle that to me looked just as bad as Woods' in the original fixture.

It wasn't not scoring without Bradshaw... AGAIN.

It's not that we lost to Shrewsbury.

It's that Goldson dived when cook slightly brushed past him, went down like he'd been shot, and then had the audacity to goad us after the final whistle. So, so, so angry.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Just to top of the night....hereeeeeeee's Sallian....

If you posted on here after we won games I would actually read what you type when we lose. You can't be bothered when we win, I can't be bothered to read your inane drivel when we lose.

I understand people being upset after losing to those; but just ask yourself this question; local rivalry apart, has there been any time in the last 25 years when you would swap places with Shrewsbury Town?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Sounds like a thorough off night to me - not as bad, but perhaps one for the Rochdale file? We seemingly have a good first XI but poor squad and Smith could do with some reinforcements. I think Smith should bin Grimes - Clifford - Morris and then put that into a loan winger and a centre forward to battle with Bradshaw. Manset won't cut it IMO. We may concede a few more without Chambers but we may actually employ a central midfielder to pass it forward and get into creative positions and not constantly crab it left to right without him, great in my books. Shrewsbury are basically a blue Walsall with less big local teams, let them smile it off tonight - they beat a weakened side in an FA Cup round 1 game.

They owe us, we've demolished and out-performed them for years in more important fixtures, all with less money and a biscuit tin of a stadia...forever in our shadows.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:20 pm

All this hot air - our problem is simple and it's been the same for 18months, hence my annoyance with smiths inability to fix it.

Namely; we do not score enough goals. Take the last 5 games - a relatively successful period of WDWDL... But we've still only scored 5 goals in those 5 games.

No team at any level of football can score an average of between 0.7 and 1 goal per game and expect to be successful, consistent or achieve anything.

Just seen a comment from Smith on Twitter which sums up his management for me:

"We didn't deserve to win, but we didnt deserve to lose"

Well whoop-di-doo you effin moron. If you don't score, you dont win games. Go figure.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Just to top of the night....hereeeeeeee's Sallian....

If you posted on here after we won games I would actually read what you type when we lose. You can't be bothered when we win, I can't be bothered to read your inane drivel when we lose.

I understand people being upset after losing to those; but just ask yourself this question; local rivalry apart, has there been any time in the last 25 years when you would swap places with Shrewsbury Town?

You should work for Ed Miliband he needs a decent spin doctor.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm

philthesaddler wrote:All this hot air - our problem is simple and it's been the same for 18months, hence my annoyance with smiths inability to fix it.

Namely; we do not score enough goals. Take the last 5 games - a relatively successful period of WDWDL... But we've still only scored 5 goals in those 5 games.

No team at any level of football can score an average of between 0.7 and 1 goal per game and expect to be successful, consistent or achieve anything.

Well whoop-di-doo you effin moron. If you don't score, you dont win games. Go figure.

He makes CH sound like a brain surgeon.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Zaddler wrote:You want bigger crowds then we need a (proper) cup run. We use to have a proud history in the cups but that is a dim and distant memory. We cannot achieve nor afford promotion so the
two cups are our best chances of boosting both the coffers and the fan base. Very very poor and disappointing.

Less than 4000 rolled up to see us play a Premier League club in one of those cups this season.

More to the point, the Super Saddlers unfortunately decided not to turn up for that game.
Although Grimes did hit the post, so it could be argued as being one of our more memorable recent cup outings....

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:25 pm

IHTC. wrote:

Its the way it is. Shrewsbury have been in non-league and have swapped places in the bottom two divisions a couple of times. Wow I'm so upset they get to travel to Preston and get hammered.

We lost there 0-1 a couple of seasons ago and I have never felt more dejected after a game; but then I remembered how pants their club is - before they were relegated (again) :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Its the way it is. Shrewsbury have been in non-league and have swapped places in the bottom two divisions a couple of times. Wow I'm so upset they get to travel to Preston and get hammered.

We lost there 0-1 a couple of seasons ago and I have never felt more dejected after a game; but then I remembered how pants their club is - before they were relegated (again) :lol:

I'm as angry tonight as I have ever been after a pathetic tepid performance, 770 other fans deserved better.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 pm

sallian wrote:* It is important that we engineer situations where 4 players are on one wing trying to cross the ball to one man, its not the goal threat that counts....but passing the ball around many players,...even though time is running out, enough times to make the cross....

Sallian gets a lot of criticism on here but he is bang on about this, and it's something I've been banging on about for a while.

During games we will quite frequently have Forde, Sawyers and Taylor all in advanced positions, pinned to the touch line, passing it amongst themselves before one of them finally crosses the ball. Great, but as sallian points out, the more players you commit to the wing, the less players likely to be in scoring positions. It's not rocket science - and don't take my word for it, see it for yourself.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:* It is important that we engineer situations where 4 players are on one wing trying to cross the ball to one man, its not the goal threat that counts....but passing the ball around many players,...even though time is running out, enough times to make the cross....

Sallian gets a lot of criticism on here but he is bang on about this, and it's something I've been banging on about for a while.

During games we will quite frequently have Forde, Sawyers and Taylor all in advanced positions, pinned to the touch line, passing it amongst themselves before one of them finally crosses the ball. Great, but as sallian points out, the more players you commit to the wing, the less players likely to be in scoring positions. It's not rocket science - and don't take my word for it, see it for yourself.

He gets criticism for disappearing when we are doing okay....find me a match thread he has commented on when we have won :?: I don't class that as support!

Additionally we don't need in-depth bullet pointed posts every time we fail to score....

I agree IHTC - just trying to take the edge off a bit.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:32 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Spot on, after watching it for a year and a half and Deano still not figuring it out it is really starting to grate on me.

Taylor to Cain, Cain to Taylor, Taylor to Forde, Forde to Taylor, Taylor to Cain, Cain switches to Purkiss, Purkiss to Cook, Cook to Chambers, Chambers to Purkiss, Purkiss to Cook - cross in, no one there and we get counter attacked.

That's our attack in a nutshell, same thing, different players, for a season and a half.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Well I'm afraid at the moment, I'm seeing our goals and wins as a blip in the normal form graph. So it's a rare event anyway....and unlikely to come from our holy footballing principles.

We might end up lower down the ladder than Shrewsbury Town the way we are going.

My comments should cheer you up when we lose....its like a collective mourning and it gives some relief and soothing when someone articulates the causes of failure that lead to frustration.

Try it....after the next loss and goaless one man striker episode....have some tea and read my comments and think to yourself "At least there is someone here to express our annoyance at silly tactics"

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:40 pm

philthesaddler wrote:All this hot air - our problem is simple and it's been the same for 18months, hence my annoyance with smiths inability to fix it.

thanks, that had me laughing in my tea...loudly :)

Winning would be cra_p as we wouldn't get these cutting sarcastic comments...and they are more enjoyable than the matches :lol:

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 pm

P poor tonight. Can't help but feel it's one step forward and then two back with us this season. We simply didn't turn up tonight . Mantom and Bradshaw a big miss for us so need decent back up for them , if we don't we will continue to struggle

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Doesn't look like anything has changed from when I last saw Walsall, usual performance with the same tedious and pointless passing, one cross in each half, one header and one shot on target [both straight at the goalkeeper], no excitement for all the fans that bother to go and zero attacking threat - absolutely useless performance by SMITHOUT and his DNA tactics [Do Not Attack]

Ratings

SMITHOUT 0 fudge useless

Anybody going to Fleetwood for more of the same? :D

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:49 pm

For all the people moaning about over passing I don't think we even passed it well tonight

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Momentum does seem to be a major issue - every time we think we have got going this Season we have gone and put in a piss poor performance in the next game.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 pm

If Dean Smith isn't decent enough (and he does seem decent) to think of the hard working people, who aren't rich....who spend a lot of money each week in travel/exorbitant ticket prices.....who turn up to matches expecting one goal at most.....or none (and being right in that expectation) being frustrated at a tactic/formation that consistently fails.....then perhaps he should think how long a manager will have a career in management who keeps doing the same thing that doesn't work and doesn't bear the necessary fruit.

People who put so much effort, time, money in supporting the team...and giving their loyalty deserve a bit more brain effort from the manager (and perhaps also the players...but I blame the manager more)

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:56 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Momentum does seem to be a major issue - every time we think we have got going this Season we have gone and put in a gypsy's poor performance in the next game.

I don't think Dean Smith has ever won 3 games in a row....at least not in the league...

It was funny commentary from Peter Beagrie on Sky talking about Walsall's 'run of form' he used words more praising than that, I can't remember....but that run was 2 consecutive wins! 2 consecutive wins is winning run for us!!!

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:01 am

Cully wrote:Doesn't look like anything has changed from when I last saw Walsall, usual performance with the same tedious and pointless passing, one cross in each half, one header and one shot on target [both straight at the goalkeeper], no excitement for all the fans that bother to go and zero attacking threat - absolutely useless performance by SMITHOUT and his DNA tactics [Do Not Attack]

Ratings

SMITHOUT 0 donald useless

Anybody going to Fleetwood for more of the same? :D

Yes its even more depressing and frustrating because if tactics/formation change then the players probably would be scoring.....this is all self inflicted misery by the manager. Like someone who gets dumped in a relationship and keeps harming themselves even though they know it wont do anything for them.....that's not a very good analogy actually as the self-harmer makes more sense than Smith's ways.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 am

Maybe Dean Smith thinks the goal mouth will be too crowded if there are two central strikers :?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 am

Consistent if not fickle Cully, welcome back. Where have you been since Crawley? I feel almost sad that you chose Walsall..what suffering you will go through in your life! Smith says we were below par and not good enough, perhaps some looked tired. Sounds about par. Onwards.

If we aren't champions in late March, can we give ring up Jose down at Chelsea?

Alternatively, if we don't make the JPT final and the playoff final, can we get fergie out of retirement?

I shall raise an ironic smirk to some of you when we eventually go down (likely within 5 years regardless of manager) and go through some real 'low times' near the bottom of league 2.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08 am

Or maybe we are all wrong and should be applauding from another angle....BRAVERY

It's like the bravery of Rambo taking on a whole army by himself in the jungle....one striker trying to make it past all the defenders and goalkeeper...all by himself, even if he loses out....its bravery, and who couldn't be proud about that?

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season