Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7:45

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Shrewsbury (A) FA Cup First Round Replay 18/11/14 K.O- 7

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Another cup run draws to a close...

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Sadders wrote:Over the top of the ball challenge according to Twitter, probably sightly mis-timed. It'l be no malice with Chambers.

Onwards to the JPT.

It would help if Bradshaw is back for that...or a loan striker who knows where the goal is.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Over the top of the ball challenge according to Twitter, probably sightly mis-timed. It'l be no malice with Chambers.

Onwards to the JPT.

It would help if Bradshaw is back for that...or a loan striker who knows where the goal is.

Indeed. Wonder if McAlinden is still available? Either way, no need to be too downhearted about this evening even if it is dissapointing. First defeat in 5, it's 1-0 and a long range goal again. County lost to Accy, Dagenham lost to Southport, Mansfield can only draw with Concord rangers, Rochdale being held to a draw by Northampton.

Maybe next year eh?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:35 pm

As positive as ever on here during a game :roll:

Tbf couldnt give a toss about this one - knowing us we would go and lose to Preston and then they would draw Liverpool in the next round :lol:

711 is a fair turnout given the circumstances - well done Saddlers
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Not really bothered about tonight. Lets focus on promotion and the Football League Trophy.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 pm

14 yellow cards and 1 red in the last 3 games. Still think the refs get a bonus. But at this rate we will be losing players suspended when we can least afford to.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Sadders wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Onwards to the JPT.

Indeed. Wonder if McAlinden is still available? Either way, no need to be too downhearted about this evening even if it is dissapointing. First defeat in 5, it's 1-0 and a long range goal again. County lost to Accy, Dagenham lost to Southport, Mansfield can only draw with Concord rangers, Rochdale being held to a draw by Northampton.

Maybe next year eh?

Probably not :wink: .

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:40 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:As positive as ever on here during a game :roll:

Tbf couldnt give a toss about this one - knowing us we would go and lose to Preston and then they would draw Liverpool in the next round :lol:

Seems like 711 did give a toss, Funkster.

It's not the end of the world, but scoring more than the occasional goal would be nice.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:43 pm

You want bigger crowds then we need a (proper) cup run. We use to have a proud history in the cups but that is a dim and distant memory. We cannot achieve nor afford promotion so the
two cups are our best chances of boosting both the coffers and the fan base. Very very poor and disappointing.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:As positive as ever on here during a game :roll:

Seems like 711 did give a toss, Funkster.

It's not the end of the world, but scoring more than the occasional goal would be nice.

I imagine half of them went for a piss up :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Absolutely pathetic performance, 1 effort on target.

Ref was a right barsteward.

Manset is crud

Smiths tactics are crud.

Apart from our defence we are crud.

So effing angry about that shower of shite tonight.

UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Zaddler wrote:You want bigger crowds then we need a (proper) cup run. We use to have a proud history in the cups but that is a dim and distant memory. We cannot achieve nor afford promotion so the
two cups are our best chances of boosting both the coffers and the fan base. Very very poor and disappointing.

Absolutely right.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 pm

IHTC. wrote:Absolutely pathetic performance, 1 effort on target.

Manset is crud

Smiths tactics are crud.

I don't want to 'prod' you, whilst your angry. But all the signs of what unfolded were there for all to see miles before kick off.

As others said, I'm far more bothered about the JPT and after 1 defeat in recent times, better performances and beating teams higher in the league than us, I can safely say - I'd rather we went through tonight, but it would have felt rather shallow considering we'd take an arse bashing at PNE (much like Shrewsbury will anyway) in a few weeks time anyway - so tonight felt like we just lost a friendly to St Neots Town, nothing more, nothing less.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Zaddler wrote:You want bigger crowds then we need a (proper) cup run. We use to have a proud history in the cups but that is a dim and distant memory. We cannot achieve nor afford promotion so the

Less than 4000 rolled up to see us play a Premier League club in one of those cups this season.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Guest wrote:

Absolutely right.

Eloquently put, Zaddler. Perhaps you will get the ultimate accolade of being accused by Funkster of being "a moaner".

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Annoyed we lost, annoyed we played cack, But it was all very predictable really lets be honest?

Big up to the 711 fans who went.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I can't believe fans saying they ain't bothered we lost to shrewsbury in the FA cup i never thought I'd see the day I'd hear that from Walsall fans i'm gutted. We're not gonna get promoted we don't score near enough to finish in the top 10 so forget that.
We better get to the final of the JPT now today's result shows we can lose away to league 2 opposition so we can't take it for granted we will beat Tranmere.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Less than 4000 rolled up to see us play a Premier League club in one of those cups this season.

Maybe so but I bet you if that was 5th round match you would have seen a bigger figure, plus let's be honest palace are not quite the draw that Liverpool or Man Utd would be

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Will someone tell Smith we were the lowest attempts on goal in any of the cup games tonight, doesn't that say something.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 pm

otiswfc wrote:I can't believe fans saying they ain't bothered we lost to shrewsbury in the FA cup i never thought I'd see the day I'd hear that from Walsall fans i'm gutted. We're not gonna get promoted we don't score near enough to finish in the top 10 so forget that.
We better get to the final of the JPT now today's result shows we can lose away to league 2 opposition so we can't take it for granted we will beat Tranmere.

Opposition that are now better than during the time they spent in league 1. There's very minimal difference between the top 8 of league 2 and the bottom 12 or so of league 1. Momentum, confidence, a home tie, haven't played 4 times in 10 days, have the best players fit. How do you think the County fans felt at Accy tonight? Higher in the league than us, check. Better squad than ours, check. Playing a team who rarely get 1,100 home fans for a league game, check. Yes tonight isn't brillant, but it's hardly some big cup shock exit. It's cack, but I'm not surprised, nor was it unexpected - anything but - we were underdogs with the bookies, quite comfortably. 6/5 vs 11/4 after 20 or so minutes!

This happens to run of the mill league 1 teams, each and every single season, country wide and yet I can almost feel, despite our first defeat in time the amount of fingers that are itching to type 'SMITH OUT'. It was hardly a 5-0 embarassment was it? We didn't get off the coach and lost 1-0 to a long range effort.

This is what happens supporting Walsall, it could be much, much, much, much, much worse. (As it could better).

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Sadders wrote:

Manset is crud

Smiths tactics are crud.

I don't want to 'prod' you, whilst your angry. But all the signs of what unfolded were there for all to see miles before kick off.

As others said, I'm far more bothered about the JPT and after 1 defeat in recent times, better performances and beating teams higher in the league than us, I can safely say - I'd rather we went through tonight, but it would have felt rather shallow considering we'd take an Arsenal bashing at PNE (much like Shrewsbury will anyway) in a few weeks time anyway - so tonight felt like we just lost a friendly to St Neots Town, nothing more, nothing less.

We don't lose many because we are Defensively solid hence our many 0-0 draws, but going forward without Bradshaw and Mantom we are clueless.

The only positive I can take is that it did not go to extra time.

3 efforts on goal against a L2 side.

Let's hope Smith reflects.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Crystal Palace in the League Cup.

Around 3900 with 890 from London.

Says it all...cups aren't what they were - and I am one of the traditionalists that wished they were!

Always annoying to lose to the Sloppies (I would probably be pretty upset if I was rolling out the meadow of Gays), but you know what, if we make Wembley in the JPT and they get knocked out at Preston who has had the last laugh....

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Zaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Maybe so but I bet you if that was 5th round match you would have seen a bigger figure, plus let's be honest palace are not quite the draw that Liverpool or Man Utd would be

Are Liverpool or Man United reserves a draw? Times have changed. Crumbs from the rich mans table. fudge 'em.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Sadders wrote:

Manset is crud

Smiths tactics are crud.

As others said, I'm far more bothered about the JPT and after 1 defeat in recent times, better performances and beating teams higher in the league than us, I can safely say - I'd rather we went through tonight, but it would have felt rather shallow considering we'd take an Arsenal bashing at PNE (much like Shrewsbury will anyway) in a few weeks time anyway - so tonight felt like we just lost a friendly to St Neots Town, nothing more, nothing less.

We don't lose many because we are Defensively solid hence our many 0-0 draws, but going forward without Bradshaw and Mantom we are clueless.

No, I agree with you entirely. I just wish people would post that and then keep perspective of the overall position - not just lean back to the Smith out camp, over 1 game that we lost 1-0 to a team in form, scoring goals with confidence and momentum in the cup - notorious for abnormal results. Also, just one quick point. If we had a defence as good as our attack, we'd be invincible - something that will never happen. You watch...if we score some more goals - the defence will go to pot. Nothing ever comes together like that for us.
Last edited by Sadders on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Sadders wrote:
otiswfc wrote:I can't believe fans saying they ain't bothered we lost to shrewsbury in the FA cup i never thought I'd see the day I'd hear that from Walsall fans i'm gutted. We're not gonna get promoted we don't score near enough to finish in the top 10 so forget that.

Opposition that are now better than during the time they spent in league 1. There's very minimal difference between the top 8 of league 2 and the bottom 12 or so of league 1. Momentum, confidence, a home tie, haven't played 4 times in 10 days, have the best players fit. How do you think the County fans felt at Accy tonight? Higher in the league than us, check. Better squad than ours, check. Playing a team who rarely get 1,100 home fans for a league game, check. Yes tonight isn't brillant, but it's hardly some big cup shock exit. It's eartha, but I'm not surprised, nor was it unexpected - anything but - we were underdogs with the bookies, quite comfortably. 6/5 vs 11/4 after 20 or so minutes!

This happens to run of the mill league 1 teams, each and every single season, country wide and yet I can almost feel, despite our first defeat in time the amount of fingers that are itching to type 'SMITH OUT'. It was hardly a 5-0 embarassment was it? We didn't get off the coach and lost 1-0 to a long range effort.

This is what happens supporting Walsall, it could be much, much, much, much, much worse. (As it could better).

I'm not bothered how notts County got on to be honest what I am bothered about is how Walsall fc can't score a goal in a fa cup replay vs a team in a league below us and some of our fans think we should be getting promoted from league 1 not a chance. Smith needs to find a solution to the lack of goals it's his job to do it not mine not anyone else's on here smiths if he doesn't solve this problem he's not doing his job properly, simple.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Sadders wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Sadders wrote:

Manset is crud

Smiths tactics are crud.

No, I agree with you entirely. I just wish people would post that and then keep perspective of the overall position - not just lean back to the Smith out camp, over 1 game that we lost 1-0 to a team in form, scoring goals with confidence and momentum in the cup - notorious for abnormal results. Also, just one quick point. If we had a defence as good as our attack, we'd be invincible - something that will never happen. You watch...if we score some more goals - the defence will go to pot. Nothing ever comes together like that for us.

I will lay off the smithout at the min (even tho I'm fuming) as I think if we can get mantom and Bradshaw fit we will be a more positive attacking force. But blame does have to lie at smiths door for having quantity over quality.

Manset and Grimes are awful.

Forde only plays at home being subbed by a fake winger in Benning is embarrassing.

As awful and he was truely pathetic tonight sawyers will probably be as equally brilliant Saturday.

Cains worse game so far.

Chambers deserved his red card.

Cook non-existant

Baxendale is like a little boy lost.
Last edited by IHTC. on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm

The one cup I am not bothered about is the JPT. To play in a three-quarters empty Wembley on that awful pitch. A far cry from the 'hallowed turf' of bygone dreams.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Guest wrote:The one cup I am not bothered about is the JPT. To play in a three-quarters empty Wembley on that awful pitch. A far cry from the 'hallowed turf' of bygone dreams.

The only cup we can hope to win. 48 teams enter. I don't get the apathy :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Lost interest in this as soon as the draw away to one of the highest ranked league one teams came out, I actually said before the first game it would be a draw and Walsall would lose the replay.

Please don't fack up the JPT now.

SWS1

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Not really bothered about tonight. Lets focus on promotion and the Football League Trophy.

Well I'm Donalding well bothered. A decent cup run is just what we needed for the revenue and the morale boost. But it's not to be in the "worth FA" cup. So, let's get to winning the REAL DEAL pot - the magnificent JPT. Way hey! :D
And on into the playoffs, obviously :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season