Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) League One Nov 15th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough United (H) League One Nov 15th, 3pm

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:28 pm

sallian wrote:
Sadders wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Meanwhile, Baxendale is a weedy skinny little boy who does and provides nothing for the team bar the odd rapser and legs getting back to cover the defence. He's gone miles backwards, hasn't evolved his game and seems to now lack confidence. Get rid for me. Even if he does have a churlish cheeky grin that makes you want to hug him. Bin him off. He's done less than Alex Nicholls did in his final years and yet he got dogs abuse!

He speaks highly of you too :roll:

I like Bax, seems a great hard working lad but he should be judged on his performances - not his personality and so far in the last 18 or so months, especially this season - he's been weak and like playing with 10 men. Just saying it how I see it. If he proves me wrong, then great - I want him too. For me, he needs to put 2 stone of muscle on and work hard on his strength/ball retention and so on. I hope he's successful here, but I don't see it currently.

Another thing....Baxendale reacts quick and creates bursts of activity...but Dean SMith's formations and style mean the team doesn't react quickly enough to the type of openings Baxendale initiates.

Attacking minded, more observant managers would have this Walsall team scoring 3 and 4 goals a match. It is like trying to instigate a riot with 3,000 people at your disposal but only sending in one person in at a time....it ends up losing all impact and effect.

Bax is half the player Sawyers is. He's rubbish on the wing and not as effective as Sawyers behind the striker. He is too weak to play at this level. I don't understand how you can say those things considering how poor Baxo has been. Sawyers controls games on his own! You must be at a different game to 99% of Walsall fans.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Is it the time of night or what?

Cowshed and others (you know who you are) please read my post and state if you were at the game so I can understand your posts, because I don't think you were.

However, I do agree that the family stand being full created a much better atmosphere. Some of these kids will definitely want to come back which must be a good thing.

I am Optimistic

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 am

scott_powell wrote:
sallian wrote:
Sadders wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Meanwhile, Baxendale is a weedy skinny little boy who does and provides nothing for the team bar the odd rapser and legs getting back to cover the defence. He's gone miles backwards, hasn't evolved his game and seems to now lack confidence. Get rid for me. Even if he does have a churlish cheeky grin that makes you want to hug him. Bin him off. He's done less than Alex Nicholls did in his final years and yet he got dogs abuse!

He speaks highly of you too :roll:

I like Bax, seems a great hard working lad but he should be judged on his performances - not his personality and so far in the last 18 or so months, especially this season - he's been weak and like playing with 10 men. Just saying it how I see it. If he proves me wrong, then great - I want him too. For me, he needs to put 2 stone of muscle on and work hard on his strength/ball retention and so on. I hope he's successful here, but I don't see it currently.

Another thing....Baxendale reacts quick and creates bursts of activity...but Dean SMith's formations and style mean the team doesn't react quickly enough to the type of openings Baxendale initiates.

Attacking minded, more observant managers would have this Walsall team scoring 3 and 4 goals a match. It is like trying to instigate a riot with 3,000 people at your disposal but only sending in one person in at a time....it ends up losing all impact and effect.

Bax is half the player Sawyers is. He's rubbish on the wing and not as effective as Sawyers behind the striker. He is too weak to play at this level. I don't understand how you can say those things considering how poor Baxo has been. Sawyers controls games on his own! You must be at a different game to 99% of Walsall fans.

No, Sawyers can make good link play and 'blind side' passes when the game flows at his sort of pace and in particular break situations etc.... But Baxendale has energy and tricks to unlock the tight spaces, to score, to draw players (true that Sawyers also draws players in a different way) and he can make creative movement in and around the box whereas Sawyers walks into walls in similar situations... But like I said, Dean Smith doesn't utilize the Baxendale qualities correctly and not regularly enough...Sawyers has an unjustified place in the selection hierarchy.

If Baxendale is in the gap (hole, interspace, pivot point, or whatever you want to call it) between two advanced central strikers (centrally, not on the wing)...I'm telling you Walsall will likely have goals showering in...whether it be Grimes and Bradshaw, Manset and Grimes, or Bradshaw and Manset.... If Dean Smith were to do that for a few games it would revolutionise their attacking threat.

Grimes is also being TOTALLY WASTED its ridiculous. Grimes looks to be the better technical striker to me....rather than Bradshaw....but obviously Bradshaw is good. The sad thing is if Grimes was alongside him....probably Bradshaw as well as Grimes would be scoring more. They could have 20+ goals each in the season. But the way it is going it will be something like 15 + 5. Someone needs to write to Dean Smith or speak to him.....or Richard O Kelly.

Of course you would use Sawyers too....depending on circumstances...he would be another option and style to adopt when things are locked down.

But at the moment Walsall are locked down by their own formation, team selection and rigidly imposed style/plan.

And when you keep on playing players out of position and stop them from having regular places when they should be there....then they start forgetting or getting rusty...or they snatch at chances and passes....or they try to over elaborate for missed time off the park. The manager can create a lot of psychological and technical hurdles he is unaware of.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:58 am

I like Bax, seems a great hard working lad but he should be judged on his performances - not his personality and so far in the last 18 or so months, especially this season - he's been weak and like playing with 10 men. Just saying it how I see it. If he proves me wrong, then great - I want him too. For me, he needs to put 2 stone of muscle on and work hard on his strength/ball retention and so on. I hope he's successful here, but I don't see it currently.[/quote]

Attacking minded, more observant managers would have this Walsall team scoring 3 and 4 goals a match. It is like trying to instigate a riot with 3,000 people at your disposal but only sending in one person in at a time....it ends up losing all impact and effect.[/quote]

Bax is half the player Sawyers is. He's rubbish on the wing and not as effective as Sawyers behind the striker. He is too weak to play at this level. I don't understand how you can say those things considering how poor Baxo has been. Sawyers controls games on his own! You must be at a different game to 99% of Walsall fans.[/quote]

No, Sawyers can make good link play and 'blind side' passes when the game flows at his sort of pace and in particular break situations etc.... But Baxendale has energy and tricks to unlock the tight spaces, to score, to draw players (true that Sawyers also draws players in a different way) and he can make creative movement in and around the box whereas Sawyers walks into walls in similar situations... But like I said, Dean Smith doesn't utilize the Baxendale qualities correctly and not regularly enough...Sawyers has an unjustified place in the selection hierarchy.

If Baxendale is in the gap (hole, interspace, pivot point, or whatever you want to call it) between two advanced central strikers (centrally, not on the wing)...I'm telling you Walsall will likely have goals showering in...whether it be Grimes and Bradshaw, Manset and Grimes, or Bradshaw and Manset.... If Dean Smith were to do that for a few games it would revolutionise their attacking threat.

Grimes is also being TOTALLY WASTED its ridiculous. Grimes looks to be the better technical striker to me....rather than Bradshaw....but obviously Bradshaw is good. The sad thing is if Grimes was alongside him....probably Bradshaw as well as Grimes would be scoring more. They could have 20+ goals each in the season. But the way it is going it will be something like 15 + 5. Someone needs to write to Dean Smith or speak to him.....or Richard O Kelly.

Of course you would use Sawyers too....depending on circumstances...he would be another option and style to adopt when things are locked down.

But at the moment Walsall are locked down by their own formation, team selection and rigidly imposed style/plan.

And when you keep on playing players out of position and stop them from having regular places when they should be there....then they start forgetting or getting rusty...or they snatch at chances and passes....or they try to over elaborate for missed time off the park. The manager can create a lot of psychological and technical hurdles he is unaware of.[/quote]

Just out of interest, how many times have you seen us play in the last couple of months? Sawyers' performances have been consistently higher than anyone else in the squad. Even those who were booing him off earlier in the season are having their opinions changed. Surely if you'd seen him play a handful of games, you'd see that he's well worth his starting place.

Also, on the Sawyers v Baxendale debate. If Bax had been roughed up like Sawyers did in the second half, he'd have gone missing. Romaine always wanted the ball, even after been clattered from behind on numerous occasions. Football is all about opinions, but personally I can't see how you are forming yours!

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 am

Great game, had everything except a goal,keep playing like that and the results will follow. uts

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 am

in general how many times the opposition managers/teams have said that's the worse we'd played all season when they playing against us. are we that good in keeping possession of the ball/are we that good that other teams acknowledge and were in a false position in the league. Sometimes we do make other higher teams look mediocre when we play against them...

:wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 am

mosaddler wrote:in general how many times the opposition managers/teams have said that's the worse we'd played all season when they playing against us. are we that good in keeping possession of the ball/are we that good that other teams acknowledge and were in a false position in the league. Sometimes we do make other higher teams look mediocre when we play against them...

You are right, "fair point well made" (with due deference to David senior! :) ) I am beginning to realise that very same conclusion, the after match explanation of managers from higher teams that are 'given a good game', by our team of 'right off's' and 'no hopers', that they actually expected to 'see us off' quite easily.....perhaps we are not as bad as we think we are?

Wembley here we come? (before I shuttle off this mortal coil, and shake off that unfortunate 'tag' that we share with the giants Accrington Stanley & Hartlepool!).

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
mosaddler wrote:in general how many times the opposition managers/teams have said that's the worse we'd played all season when they playing against us. are we that good in keeping possession of the ball/are we that good that other teams acknowledge and were in a false position in the league. Sometimes we do make other higher teams look mediocre when we play against them...

You are right, "fair point well made" (with due deference to David senior! :) ) I am beginning to realise that very same conclusion, the after match explanation of managers from higher teams that are 'given a good game', by our team of 'right off's' and 'no hopers', that they actually expected to 'see us off' quite easily.....perhaps we are not as bad as we think we are?

Wembley here we come? (before I shuttle off this mortal coil, and shake off that unfortunate 'tag' that we share with the giants Accrington Stanley & Hartlepool!).

They were shamelessly wasting time from very early on yesterday. If they have serious promotion aspirations they should surely come to a lower to mid table side with a bit more intent than they showed yesterday. Each goal-kick and throw-in was taking an age. As paying punters we were probably robbed of 10 minutes. The five minutes of stoppage time was nowhere near right. The six subs should be three minutes and there were several long stoppages for injuries and the big Cook incident on top of all of the time wasting.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Cowshed wrote:Only 3points off relegation

Can't see us scoring without Bradshaw and he seems injury prone

Anyone else nervous?

Not really, not at all
sallian wrote:Baxendale like Messi

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:00 pm

PT wrote:there were several long stoppages for injuries and the big Cook incident on top of all of the time wasting.

:?:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
PT wrote:there were several long stoppages for injuries and the big Cook incident on top of all of the time wasting.

:?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big cook lost the recipe for chips. Little cook flew off on his spoon and it took him abut eight years. So five minutes was well short.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 pm

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 pm

saddler_nic wrote:I like Bax, seems a great hard working lad but he should be judged on his performances - not his personality and so far in the last 18 or so months, especially this season - he's been weak and like playing with 10 men. Just saying it how I see it. If he proves me wrong, then great - I want him too. For me, he needs to put 2 stone of muscle on and work hard on his strength/ball retention and so on. I hope he's successful here, but I don't see it currently.

Attacking minded, more observant managers would have this Walsall team scoring 3 and 4 goals a match. It is like trying to instigate a riot with 3,000 people at your disposal but only sending in one person in at a time....it ends up losing all impact and effect.[/quote]

Bax is half the player Sawyers is. He's rubbish on the wing and not as effective as Sawyers behind the striker. He is too weak to play at this level. I don't understand how you can say those things considering how poor Baxo has been. Sawyers controls games on his own! You must be at a different game to 99% of Walsall fans.[/quote]

And when you keep on playing players out of position and stop them from having regular places when they should be there....then they start forgetting or getting rusty...or they snatch at chances and passes....or they try to over elaborate for missed time off the park. The manager can create a lot of psychological and technical hurdles he is unaware of.[/quote]

Just out of interest, how many times have you seen us play in the last couple of months? Sawyers' performances have been consistently higher than anyone else in the squad. Even those who were booing him off earlier in the season are having their opinions changed. Surely if you'd seen him play a handful of games, you'd see that he's well worth his starting place.

Also, on the Sawyers v Baxendale debate. If Bax had been roughed up like Sawyers did in the second half, he'd have gone missing. Romaine always wanted the ball, even after been clattered from behind on numerous occasions. Football is all about opinions, but personally I can't see how you are forming yours![/quote]

Some people can see a lot from a little, and some can't see what is always before them... 8)

Maybe 'Name that tune' was before your time, but a trained, experienced ear can sometimes declare 'I will name that tune in one'.... Some are chauffers and others connoisseurs :shock:

If Bax had been roughed up he would have perhaps drawn more direct free kicks.

I am not against Sawyers, all players should be encouraged and supported...and any booing etc is shameful and counterproductive. For me, Baxendale is more likely to score and create opportunities....as long as he is in the right position and especially if they have two central strikers in front. I think Dean Smith's 'one man stranded , lone survivor striker' attacking philosophy has been decisively proven ineffective by results and prolonged goal drought.

But it is frustrating when when Walsall have weapons that can wreak havoc with opposition but end up being muted and impotent due to mis/non-deployment.

Baxendale can unlock doors....Grimes can open doors....yes Sawyers can in some situations carry the keys and hand them to those who know how to twist their wrist at the right time.

SWS1

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Baxo. Not comparing them directly, of course, but Alan Clarke was as skinny as a pair of braces when he started playing for Walsall. So was Brian Taylor (remember him?). Plenty of other examples of "successful" Walsall players who were lacking in the bulk department, I'm sure. Sheer muscle is not the be all and end all, although it probably helps in many cases (just look at Aguero and Costa - both built like brick schmitthouses, but Hazard and Oscar, less so). Having said all that, I do think Baxo would benefit from putting on a bit of muscle. But I really would like to see him playing in his best position for a bit, with one of the formations suggested above, before making a judgement.
:|

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:17 pm

sallian wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:I like Bax, seems a great hard working lad but he should be judged on his performances - not his personality and so far in the last 18 or so months, especially this season - he's been weak and like playing with 10 men. Just saying it how I see it. If he proves me wrong, then great - I want him too. For me, he needs to put 2 stone of muscle on and work hard on his strength/ball retention and so on. I hope he's successful here, but I don't see it currently.

Also, on the Sawyers v Baxendale debate. If Bax had been roughed up like Sawyers did in the second half, he'd have gone missing. Romaine always wanted the ball, even after been clattered from behind on numerous occasions. Football is all about opinions, but personally I can't see how you are forming yours![/quote]

Some people can see a lot from a little, and some can't see what is always before them... 8)

Maybe 'Name that tune' was before your time, but a trained, experienced ear can sometimes declare 'I will name that tune in one'.... Some are chauffers and others connoisseurs :shock:

I am not against Sawyers, all players should be encouraged and supported...and any booing etc is shameful and counterproductive. For me, Baxendale is more likely to score and create opportunities....as long as he is in the right position and especially if they have two central strikers in front. I think Dean Smith's 'one man stranded , lone survivor striker' attacking philosophy has been decisively proven ineffective by results and prolonged goal drought.

But it is frustrating when when Walsall have weapons that can wreak havoc with opposition but end up being muted and impotent due to mis/non-deployment.

Baxendale can unlock doors....Grimes can open doors....yes Sawyers can in some situations carry the keys and hand them to those who know how to twist their wrist at the right time.[/quote]

It's just not feesable to drop Sawyers when he's probably playing his best football for us at a more consistent level than usual. I agree, Baxendale would do a good job "in the hole", it's his best position, entirely wasted when he's shoved out wide. The reason he's not getting a look in is the fact that Sawyers is simply better than him. Technically he's the best player we've had at the club for some time. Part of the reason he gives the ball away is because he sees things tat others don't. He's a lot like Merson was in that respect.

As for two up front, I'd like to see it myself, but it's just not going to happen. Smith now has teams at every level within our club playing the same way, so he won't change it, even if it's the right thing to do. It also begs the question, if you play two up top, where would Baxendale/Sawyers fit? Neither of them can play as an orthodox CM. with a lack of creative talent from elsewhere bar Forde and maybe Cook, where is the service coming from?

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:53 pm

cracking perfomamce, nice to see the wide men heavily involved after some lacklustre displays. forde appeared to miss a good chance too, failing to connect in the box. good point, made a decent side look hopeless, coulda had all 3.

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:59 pm

saddler_nic wrote:
sallian wrote:

Baxendale can unlock doors....Grimes can open doors....yes Sawyers can in some situations carry the keys and hand them to those who know how to twist their wrist at the right time.[/quote]

It's just not feesable to drop Sawyers when he's probably playing his best football for us at a more consistent level than usual. I agree, Baxendale would do a good job "in the hole", it's his best position, entirely wasted when he's shoved out wide. The reason he's not getting a look in is the fact that Sawyers is simply better than him. Technically he's the best player we've had at the club for some time. Part of the reason he gives the ball away is because he sees things tat others don't. He's a lot like Merson was in that respect.

As for two up front, I'd like to see it myself, but it's just not going to happen. Smith now has teams at every level within our club playing the same way, so he won't change it, even if it's the right thing to do. It also begs the question, if you play two up top, where would Baxendale/Sawyers fit? Neither of them can play as an orthodox CM. with a lack of creative talent from elsewhere bar Forde and maybe Cook, where is the service coming from?[/quote]

Well if Dean Smith has based his whole strategy and philosophy one one rigid formation he is a real dopey drip....formation adjustment is one of the weapons a manager has at his disposal, and it is a mighty weapon....if he doesn't understand that then he is the weak link.

The service to the front two (any combo of manset, bradshaw, bakayoko, grimes, bradshaw....i also expect cook would be good) would come from the 'hole' player (Baxendale)....and either of the two holding midfield players....occasionally from the full backs (not wing backs in this formation....i.e. don't go all the way forward like a winger....but they can still cross from deeper positions when suitable)....and mainly from one winger (Ford....or whoever else)...and that winger swaps sides when suitable and that winger is substituted for another winger when he isn't having much success) There are plenty of options there for service both from central, deep wide and advanced wide positions....BUT one of the key issues about service is that when any pass from full backs, wing, hole or midfield FAILS (and it often does) to reach its intended striker....the OTHER striker has a chance to reach it....NOT ONLY THAT....but they also are in a position to assist each other and NOT ONLY THAT....they can also feed off each other's failed attempts....all of those reasons are highly likely to result in many more goals that the isolated hopeful striker wrong methodology.....who gets ONLY two chances in each half!

Two wingers (which puts emphasis on wide delivery over central delivery) is suited to when you have at least one player who is tall or exceptionally good in the air (which Walsall don't)....that is why delivery has to be from central positions as much as width in Walsall's case.

So basically Walsall's ideal formation for me is 4-2-1-3 (the 1 being baxo) the 3 including a winger who is not as advanced as the two central strikers...so you could also call it 4-2-2-2.... like a two layered midfield...its attacking layer with a central and wide element. But you can also put Sawyers there as I said, especially if Baxendale is having a bad game...its just I think Baxendale is more capable there.

Walsall have the players to make this formation work very well and they have enough options to interchange those positions.......it's mile better that Dean Smith's way....gives them a much better chance of scoring and they don't have to compromise on a passing game at all.....it just means they are more engineered to making quick and effective passes to a greater populated box.

Too much of Walsall's passing is redundant....i.e. in non threatening areas.....and it is misleading, as people think 'excellent football' but it isn't as it is not focussed on the aim of football....goals....and always comes up short where it counts.

I know people don't like hearing this ...but on this issue SALLIAN IS FRIPKINNNNN RIGHT!!!!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:49 pm

As 0-0s go it was an entertaining game, which we controlled from start to finish and really should have won. With Bradshaw on the pitch, or had Sawyers scored a sitter we would have.

For me the wingers need to do more, otherwise we are going to keep struggling to score. Neither Forde or Cook look like bad players, but it's rare they do something that gets me excited. I'd like to see them get at their full backs a lot more, especially Cook who is the quicker of the two.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:45 pm

It's not the personel in my view - we've had plenty of players during Smith's tenure, and with the exception of a short period when Pato, Brandy and Grigg were firing on all cylinders, we've consistently had a poor goal scoring record.

One moment in the Peterborough game summed it up for me. Ball over the top, Grimes gets in behind, he's one on one with the keep - albeit it at a narrow angle - 99% of strikers at any level of football would try to score without involving anyone else, but no, this is Walsall, Grimes delayed for that critical millisecond and try to lay on a pass for the advancing Sawyers - who had 2 men on him, ball gets played across and cleared.

That's just inexcusable - you cannot get in to that kind of position and not even test the keeper.

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:22 pm

philthesaddler wrote:It's not the personel in my view - we've had plenty of players during Smith's tenure, and with the exception of a short period when Pato, Brandy and Grigg were firing on all cylinders, we've consistently had a poor goal scoring record.

One moment in the Peterborough game summed it up for me. Ball over the top, Grimes gets in behind, he's one on one with the keep - albeit it at a narrow angle - 99% of strikers at any level of football would try to score without involving anyone else, but no, this is Walsall, Grimes delayed for that critical millisecond and try to lay on a pass for the advancing Sawyers - who had 2 men on him, ball gets played across and cleared.

That's just inexcusable - you cannot get in to that kind of position and not even test the keeper.

Yes it's true....Walsall have got used to not shooting enough and not passing quick enough and not shooting early enough

As for Grimes his sharpness and confidence will be decreased due to being played out of position all the time. Every time he misses it will be more failed expectations for him....Dean Smith's fault...... 'Best finisher I've seen...so I'll stick you out on the wing, where you only need the finest angles!' Makes sense I suppose.....but maybe he should review that decision and give him a clearer view of goal until he gets his precise finishing touch back!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 pm

sallian wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:It's not the personel in my view - we've had plenty of players during Smith's tenure, and with the exception of a short period when Pato, Brandy and Grigg were firing on all cylinders, we've consistently had a poor goal scoring record.

Yes it's true....Walsall have got used to not shooting enough and not passing quick enough and not shooting early enough

As for Grimes his sharpness and confidence will be decreased due to being played out of position all the time. Every time he misses it will be more failed expectations for him....Dean Smith's fault...... 'Best finisher I've seen...so I'll stick you out on the wing, where you only need the finest angles!' Makes sense I suppose.....but maybe he should review that decision and give him a clearer view of goal until he gets his precise finishing touch back!

Grimes wasn't playing on the wing; he replaced Mansit.

This is something you would have seen and known had you have been there. Instead you pick up "clues" from others posts and try and draw conclusions from that. All this in the fervent hope that someone may find your posts insightful and knowledgeable.

I think you are wasting your time.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:25 pm

sallian wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:
sallian wrote:

And when you keep on playing players out of position and stop them from having regular places when they should be there....then they start forgetting or getting rusty...or they snatch at chances and passes....or they try to over elaborate for missed time off the park. The manager can create a lot of psychological and technical hurdles he is unaware of.

As for two up front, I'd like to see it myself, but it's just not going to happen. Smith now has teams at every level within our club playing the same way, so he won't change it, even if it's the right thing to do. It also begs the question, if you play two up top, where would Baxendale/Sawyers fit? Neither of them can play as an orthodox CM. with a lack of creative talent from elsewhere bar Forde and maybe Cook, where is the service coming from?[/quote]

Well if Dean Smith has based his whole strategy and philosophy one one rigid formation he is a real dopey drip....formation adjustment is one of the weapons a manager has at his disposal, and it is a mighty weapon....if he doesn't understand that then he is the weak link.

The service to the front two (any combo of manset, bradshaw, bakayoko, grimes, bradshaw....i also expect cook would be good) would come from the 'hole' player (Baxendale)....and either of the two holding midfield players....occasionally from the full backs (not wing backs in this formation....i.e. don't go all the way forward like a winger....but they can still cross from deeper positions when suitable)....and mainly from one winger (Ford....or whoever else)...and that winger swaps sides when suitable and that winger is substituted for another winger when he isn't having much success) There are plenty of options there for service both from central, deep wide and advanced wide positions....BUT one of the key issues about service is that when any pass from full backs, wing, hole or midfield FAILS (and it often does) to reach its intended striker....the OTHER striker has a chance to reach it....NOT ONLY THAT....but they also are in a position to assist each other and NOT ONLY THAT....they can also feed off each other's failed attempts....all of those reasons are highly likely to result in many more goals that the isolated hopeful striker wrong methodology.....who gets ONLY two chances in each half!

Two wingers (which puts emphasis on wide delivery over central delivery) is suited to when you have at least one player who is tall or exceptionally good in the air (which Walsall don't)....that is why delivery has to be from central positions as much as width in Walsall's case.

So basically Walsall's ideal formation for me is 4-2-1-3 (the 1 being baxo) the 3 including a winger who is not as advanced as the two central strikers...so you could also call it 4-2-2-2.... like a two layered midfield...its attacking layer with a central and wide element. But you can also put Sawyers there as I said, especially if Baxendale is having a bad game...its just I think Baxendale is more capable there.

Walsall have the players to make this formation work very well and they have enough options to interchange those positions.......it's mile better that Dean Smith's way....gives them a much better chance of scoring and they don't have to compromise on a passing game at all.....it just means they are more engineered to making quick and effective passes to a greater populated box.

Too much of Walsall's passing is redundant....i.e. in non threatening areas.....and it is misleading, as people think 'excellent football' but it isn't as it is not focussed on the aim of football....goals....and always comes up short where it counts.

I know people don't like hearing this ...but on this issue SALLIAN IS FRIPKINNNNN RIGHT!!!![/quote]

You may be right, you may be wrong, but the fact is, Smith's not going to change formation. He's stuck by the same principles throughout the winless runs so now it's on the up, he's not suddenly going to drop his beliefs and stick two up front as much as you'd like to see it. I wouldn't be adverse to it seeing it, but it's just not going to happen.

As for your point of our wingers wasting their time crossing due to us not having players who are tall (Manset) or good in the air (Did you not see Bradshaw's bullet header against Preston?) look at the facts!! Didnt our last goal come from a corner that was "crossed"?

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

saddler_nic wrote:You may be right, you may be wrong, but the fact is, Smith's not going to change formation. He's stuck by the same principles throughout the winless runs so now it's on the up, he's not suddenly going to drop his beliefs and stick two up front as much as you'd like to see it. I wouldn't be adverse to it seeing it, but it's just not going to happen.

As for your point of our wingers wasting their time crossing due to us not having players who are tall (Manset) or good in the air (Did you not see Bradshaw's bullet header against Preston?) look at the facts!! Didnt our last goal come from a corner that was "crossed"?

Yes saw the header, good header....but my point is that he wont be winning many aerial battles

I'm not saying its a waste of time for wingers to cross or cross in the air....obviously if a man is free and it is suitable...or we have runners who are likely to win it in the air or feed off the rebounds

I am saying the main delivery shouldn't be concentrated on aerial crosses from wingers...as Walsall's strikers are not of that type 'target men' or whatever.

I'm saying that they should put more emphasis on central supply from midfielders, hole men and 2nd strikers...But I think they should have one winger on the pitch...and he can draw out the opposing full backs and central defenders to make even more spaced for the two central strikers and hole man...(baxo/sawyers)

The lone winger would be their for some direct passes, changing up the attack, decoy runs, drawing the defence for quick release to the other three etc....its like an attacking reverse triangle with the winger as a satellite as he alternates sides.

Another advantage of two central strikers is that you have more chance of dispossessing the opposing defenders at an earlier stage (i.e. deeper in their own half)

Another advantage of two central strikers is that midfielders are drawn back to defend...which means you are freed up in midfield to win the ball in the first place
Last edited by sallian on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 am

Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:

This is something you would have seen and known had you have been there. Instead you pick up "clues" from others posts and try and draw conclusions from that. All this in the fervent hope that someone may find your posts insightful and knowledgeable.

You are missing the point...being replaced doesn't make a dual central striker force...Dean Smith has a few strikers this season and decides to play one at a time or one in position and one and out of position.

Last season we had 2 or 3 fast players...in Hemmings and Lalkovic...but their pace was never utilized by early balls delivered into space.

Instead of these babyish catty remarks...think about whether my points make sense or not, it might give you a different perspective on the goal drought.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 am

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:

You are missing the point...being replaced doesn't make a dual central striker force...Dean Smith has a few strikers this season and decides to play one at a time or one in position and one and out of position.

Last season we had 2 or 3 fast players...in Hemmings and Lalkovic...but their pace was never utilized by early balls delivered into space.

Instead of these babyish catty remarks...think about whether my points make sense or not, it might give you a different perspective on the goal drought.

How can I miss the point when your posts are pointless?

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:

How can I miss the point when your posts are pointless?

Instead of me humouring that with a response, I will give you something far more difficult to swallow...

I haven't seen Grimes much...but I don't need to.

Its clear to those who understand ability, technique, footballing demeanour....that Grimes could be a Premier league striker or at least a successful championship striker. He has some of the qualities of Andrew Johnson and Kevin Phillips

However he is being played out of position here, and he is lacking in ambition and confidence.

So as for Dean Smith's appraisal 'Best finisher he has seen'.... I actually have no doubt about it at all, as he does have the qualities which would justify that judgement...but he needs support from manager and fans, but sadly a lot of the fans are highly ignorant and fickle....so they get what they deserve.....failed teams, managers, players and results.
Last edited by sallian on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:00 pm

I think the fact Smith won't play Grimes in his best position and, instead, preferring another player proves he doesn't believe what he said.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Smith doesn't play Grimes in his best position as he fears a premiership manager will spot him and snap him up.He will save him until the transfer window closes when Grimes will score 20 in our push for promotion.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 pm

tinned wrote:I think the fact Smith won't play Grimes in his best position and, instead, preferring another player proves he doesn't believe what he said.

maybe, or maybe he is doing it out of love.....to teach him his own value :lol:

or he wants everyone to criticise himself and grimes...for a big told you so moment :cry:

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 pm

tinned wrote:I think the fact Smith won't play Grimes in his best position and, instead, preferring another player proves he doesn't believe what he said.

or Smith doesn't want to taste the reality of his own scouting acumen :?
Last edited by sallian on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season