Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) F'ball L'gue Trophy, Wed Nov 12, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Sheffield United (H) F'ball L'gue Trophy, Wed Nov 12, 7.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Mantom is looking sharp, Sawyers played great and I don't think Manset did a lot wrong. good performances all round in a fairly dull game.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:No one had an out-and-out poor game but both Forde and Cain were average at best.

Disagree with this actually. Cain is a massive improvement on Clifford and Flanagan and it's no surprise to me that our results have improved with him in the team (although a fit Sam Mantom will be an improvement on Cain). Forde is disciplined in his role and I think he'd benefit from swapping with Cook, who is more likely to come inside on to his stronger right foot, whereas Forde wants to hug the touchline which he can't really do on the left.

Fair enough, RS. Cain is an improvement on Clifford, for sure, and the results since he has been in the side does speak for itself. As regards Forde, he was okay tonight, but seems reluctant to take on his man most of the time, which is surely the point of a winger. Perhaps I have not forgiven him yet for his back heel open goal miss at Leyton Orient :wink: .

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:35 pm

Good second half. Manset was much better than I expected after reading about him on this board. Last saw him against Leicester, when he was also good. What was the holdup during injury time about? Sky didn't show what was happening.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Watching the game tonight i didn't think Manset did anything wrong, he held the ball up as well as anyone, the shot the goalkeeper parried and the run in the box Bradshaw would have scored off the loose balls, i think him paired with Bradshaw would be immense, but who would you leave out.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:42 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:No one had an out-and-out poor game but both Forde and Cain were average at best.

Disagree with this actually. Cain is a massive improvement on Clifford and Flanagan and it's no surprise to me that our results have improved with him in the team (although a fit Sam Mantom will be an improvement on Cain). Forde is disciplined in his role and I think he'd benefit from swapping with Cook, who is more likely to come inside on to his stronger right foot, whereas Forde wants to hug the touchline which he can't really do on the left.

Fair enough, RS. Cain is an improvement on Clifford, for sure, and the results since he has been in the side does speak for itself. As regards Forde, he was okay tonight, but seems reluctant to take on his man most of the time, which is surely the point of a winger. Perhaps I have not forgiven him yet for his back heel open goal miss at Leyton Orient :wink: .

Oh, Id forgotten all about that howler. Thanks for the reminder! :cry:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Guest wrote:Good second half. Manset was much better than I expected after reading about him on this board. Last saw him against Leicester, when he was also good. What was the holdup during injury time about? Sky didn't show what was happening.

Fat dullard thought it would be fun to have a one man pitch invasion. Needs a lobotomy.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Guest the delay was caused by a fat idiot running on the pitch-he was eventually caught and the game resumed.
A good second half-Manset much better but the biggest lift for me was that Mantom looks ready to return. Lets hope he can play Saturday.I also say to all the folk on here dont write players off until they have played at least a dozen games. Who knows Manset,Grimes,Forde may yet become good acquisitions.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 pm

I feel like a glory hunting Premier League fan after watching it at home (well, a mates home).

Decent performance and a enjoyable(ish) second half. Both Chambers had good games. Manset impressed me, hopefully his performances will improve now he's getting fitter. I thought I'd entered an alternative universe when Grimes nearly scored.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:55 pm

Good win. 3 wins in 4 games. Into the semi final of the JPT, the draw for the second round of the FA Cup and are just a league win away from mid table security. All that with a clueless manager that's lost the dressing and had half the squad unfit for most of the season. Will Bonser persuade Ferguson out of retirement for our next managerial appointment?

Jokes aside. Thought we deserved that and I still firmly believe that a fully fit squad will finish anywhere from 9th - 12th. Created the better chances and overall played much the better football. We are a good pair of wingers (or Cook/Forde growing into consistent form) from being a very good side, especially if Mantom stays fit and Manset stays interested/gets fitter - my cynical side says he's had that performance in him for weeks, but now the TV cameras are here, he decides to show it, I might be being overally cynical there though. He was excellent this evening.

Not a huge fan of Cain, he's another willing runner who only gets involved in the game when he's allowed, which usually involves passing backwards or sideways to the nearest red shirt - good players are involved regardless. Chambers brothers excellent, Forde worked hard and Purkiss is having his best spell at the club. Bradshaw worked tirelessly in the first half again but my MOTM was Sawyers. Still not at full whack tonight, but every good thing we do attacking wise comes directly through him, goal or not - just superb. Extremely fortunate to have him. The downside? Cook was anonymous again and he looks nervous/tentative and Taylor was poor again.

If Sawyers or Bradshaw get injured long term, we need an immediate loan replacement or we are entirely screwed.

SWS1

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm

I thought we were the better team over 90 minutes. Played some very pretty (if relatively ineffective) football at times. SU looked dangerous going forward but we could easily have had two more goals, whereas the penno shout was, more or less, their only really solid chance. I don't know why the ref day buy it, but the bloke was clearly looking for it and trailed his leg, as you can see on the replay. I think the ref (who was well back) was actually unsighted. Don't know why their defender wasn't penalised when he took Bradshaw out in the middle of the park. I reckon that was the tackle that caused his half-time substitution. Manset did well when he came on. He's our only player who can bully the opposition a bit. Kind of a Drogba type (at a slightly different level, of course :lol: )
Well pleased with our performance and the result :D :D :D :D :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 pm

Sadders wrote:Good win. 3 wins in 4 games. Into the semi final of the JPT, the draw for the second round of the FA Cup and are just a league win away from mid table security. All that with a clueless manager that's lost the dressing and had half the squad unfit for most of the season. Will Bonser persuade Ferguson out of retirement for our next managerial appointment?

Jokes aside. Thought we deserved that and I still firmly believe that a fully fit squad will finish anywhere from 9th - 12th. Created the better chances and overall played much the better football. We are a good pair of wingers (or Cook/Forde growing into consistent form) from being a very good side, especially if Mantom stays fit and Manset stays interested/gets fitter - my cynical side says he's had that performance in him for weeks, but now the TV cameras are here, he decides to show it, I might be being overally cynical there though. He was excellent this evening.

Not a huge fan of Cain, he's another willing runner who only gets involved in the game when he's allowed, which usually involves passing backwards or sideways to the nearest red shirt - good players are involved regardless. Chambers brothers excellent, Forde worked hard and Purkiss is having his best spell at the club. Bradshaw worked tirelessly in the first half again but my MOTM was Sawyers. Still not at full whack tonight, but every good thing we do attacking wise comes directly through him, goal or not - just superb. Extremely fortunate to have him. The downside? Cook was anonymous again and he looks nervous/tentative and Taylor was poor again.

If Sawyers or Bradshaw get injured long term, we need an immediate loan replacement or we are entirely screwed.

I generally agree with your outlook. I just think we're missing something for a top 12 finish. We need to be able to up the pace of our attacks when suitable. We also need to push on when we're on top and dominate teams. We just seem to be missing that extra gear when it would really help us. Is it down to Smith's instructions or the players we've got?

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks to the provider of the link to watch the game over the net.
Watched the first half with my 7 year old who would not have been able to go tonight but is already dreaming of Wembley (like his dad!)
This season for me should be about achieving a mid table finish in L1 and going all out in the JPT.
It would be amazing to see us at Wembley and its quite achievable. Tranmere at home next please.
I will definitely be there home or away in the next round and hope lots or other Saddlers will to in the hope we will eventually achieve the dream of playing at Wembley.

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:10 pm

tinned wrote:I thought I'd entered an alternative universe when Grimes nearly scored.

From the look on his face, so did he!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:12 pm

m&m wrote:Thanks to the provider of the link to watch the game over the net.
Watched the first half with my 7 year old who would not have been able to go tonight but is already dreaming of Wembley (like his dad!)
This season for me should be about achieving a mid table finish in L1 and going all out in the JPT.
It would be amazing to see us at Wembley and its quite achievable. Tranmere at home next please.
I will definitely be there home or away in the next round and hope lots or other Saddlers will to in the hope we will eventually achieve the dream of playing at Wembley.

A day out at Wembley in the JPT would be the best way to play at Wembley. A morning on the lash, a game at Wembley and not being the slightest bit bothered about the result :mrgreen:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 pm

tinned wrote:
Sadders wrote:Good win. 3 wins in 4 games. Into the semi final of the JPT, the draw for the second round of the FA Cup and are just a league win away from mid table security. All that with a clueless manager that's lost the dressing and had half the squad unfit for most of the season. Will Bonser persuade Ferguson out of retirement for our next managerial appointment?

I generally agree with your outlook. I just think we're missing something for a top 12 finish. We need to be able to up the pace of our attacks when suitable. We also need to push on when we're on top and dominate teams. We just seem to be missing that extra gear when it would really help us. Is it down to Smith's instructions or the players we've got?

Probably both, I would presume that Smith whilst sticking to his philosophy of football probably realised that we were painfully one dimensional towards the end of last season and wanted to be able to mix it up a little more this season. Hence the signings of Bradshaw, who offers a bit of strength and is the kind of forward you would expect to get on the end of crosses and Manset.

However, we relied on pace to enable us to use the counter attack so effectively with Paterson/Brandy/Lalkovic etc and I think Smith probably took a little bit of a hit on that front to make us more dynamic. By signing classier ball players and using what pace we do have to counter occasionally, but also having players to mix it up a little bit from dead balls/wide areas. Forde for example, you would say his mind set is that of a traditional winger - ie to skin his man, get to the byline and cross the ball for forwards, but he doesn't have the direct pace to be as clinical on the counter as say Brandy would have been and I think maybe Smith deserved a little more credit for his signings, even though - to the eye, they may not look as good as players in recent years. Method to the madness lets say.

The team we have, COULD be effective if we can build some momentum with everyone fit.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Why don't you knobs get off Grimes back. The Ginger Wizard signed him as a striker describing him as the best finisher he has seen and then plays him out wide. I am sure if Smith played him up front he would do a decent job. Be great for him to get a few goals then them knobs could go back to slagging off Sawyers.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Why don't you knobs get off Grimes back. The Ginger Wizard signed him as a striker describing him as the best finisher he has seen and then plays him out wide. I am sure if Smith played him up front he would do a decent job. Be great for him to get a few goals then them knobs could go back to slagging off Sawyers.

Agree with this. Grimes doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of stick he gets on here.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:45 pm

m&m wrote:Thanks to the provider of the link to watch the game over the net.

No. Doncaster at home, then Tranmere over two legs please.

If we get to one game away from wembley I want the lower league team at that point.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Always enjoy beating that shower of shite.

Did an old school Fellows Park thing and went on the side for the first half and moved behind the goal we were attacking for the second half. Dunno how it came across on the box but I think we made a bit of decent noise.

Having gone to Rochdale in the previous round and being there tonight, I'm well and truly committed to this competition now (I was also at the bye - we were fudge magic).

Up The Saddlers.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:55 am

Although not an important game, Walsall still not showing enough ambition in getting forward, earlly passes, crosses and shots on goal. Also need more running off the ball especially in last third of pitch.

Bradshaw is obviously good and would score more probably if the formation and style was more supporting.

I think Smith's signings have been quite good really but he has not utilized them properly.

Cook looks to have some creativity and neat skills....

Manset was strong, hard working and skilled when he came on....he needs to be given more time on pitch. No-one should get on his back, supporters should give him warm encouragement....I like him.

Grimes again in the little I saw of him....he looked good, neat touch and he worked his chance well and had a quality shot on goal....I did to be honest see hints of Dean Smith's 'best finisher seen' .... and THEREFORE.....Give him more time on the pitch and more in a position where he is likely to bear fruit. Very unfair to put that tag on a player and then not give him the correct opportunity in the right places.

I believe Dean Smith has chosen good players who can indeed create chances and score them....he has some good quality forward players, but they SHOULD NOT be shackled by a stubborn manager imposing only one style and formation on them....

It is blatantly obvious that two of these strikers should be on the pitch at the same time.

I am a fan of Baxendale...and he again can make things happen....two strikers in front of him and I'm sure Walsall could score a cartload of goals in this division if drilled to pass and shoot fast enough. (and run off the ball, especially when it counts)...ANd in the holding players of Chambers etc...the team can have good balance with many options of personnel and formations.

Dean Smith is very frustrating, he has done well....but if he opens his mind a bit then these players could achieve a lot more...its a big shame.

Forde looks useful too.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 am

Graydon48 wrote:Why don't you knobs get off Grimes back. The Ginger Wizard signed him as a striker describing him as the best finisher he has seen and then plays him out wide. I am sure if Smith played him up front he would do a decent job. Be great for him to get a few goals then them knobs could go back to slagging off Sawyers.

Indeed...and when he came on he did look like a high quality finisher to me..the way he he controlled the ball and worked his shot on goal....He needs to be played centrally.... even the serious determined look on his face made him look the real deal. Very out of order if anyone is giving him stick and not getting behind him.

Maybe many of you should write direct letters to the club addressed to players...to encourage them and mention that their skills are recognized and appreciated.

And many letters to Dean Smith to give some of these players a better chance by playing them in more suited positions...it may well have an impact on him if enough people do it.

"Dear Dean ...well done for getting Walsall playing football, well done for some good signings....but please put goalscorers support centrally...put them where they can score" etc

UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 am

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:55 am

Guest wrote:Sawyers or OG?

http://youtu.be/Aj3bm2Cn9A4

When interviewed he said his header was on target so therefore he's claiming it.
Good movement from him to get to the ball anyway.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 am

Guest wrote:Sawyers or OG?

http://youtu.be/Aj3bm2Cn9A4

If it WAS an own goal, it was thoroughly deserved - the Sheffield United defender had Cook in a bear-hug as the ball came over, and if he was giving all his attention to preventing Cook's movement he brought misfortune on to himself.

I'm sure Nigel will be asking questions of his defence/keeper, because Sawyers wasn't exactly standing on the goal line - his glancing header threaded its way past quite a few black shirts, showing the benefits of getting to the ball first !! :mrgreen:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 am

tinned wrote:I feel like a glory hunting Premier League fan after watching it at home (well, a mates home).

What an absolute hypocrite of the highest order.
FACT!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:38 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:I feel like a glory hunting Premier League fan after watching it at home (well, a mates home).

What an absolute hypocrite of the highest order.
FACT!

:lol:

Louise
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 am

Not the most exciting of games but its the result that counts.
For me Adam Chambers was my Man of the Match.
Dreaming of Wembley.....

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Good win good performance.

I heard more chants tonight that I have in my last 3 visits and there was under 2000 Walsall fans there!?

I give up trying to work us out ha.

I've told you before the atmosphere would be better with the away end was shut up also close the upper tier so the fans are less spread out imagine if they did that every game 4000 fans would sound even better because we'd basically be playing in a 6000 capacity stadium it's not rocket science.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am

Pleasing performance against a weakened Sheffield United side. The stand-out players for me were A. Chambers (my MOTM), J. Chambers and Sawyers - the spine. For the first time this season I can see things starting to come together now. Key for us now is the fitness of Mantom, Cook and Bradshaw. Mention for Cain – good solid performance. He seems keen to get on the ball, keeps things moving which allow Sawyers more time and freedom.

Dare we dream?...

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:56 am

Good, solid performance last night. Usually on tenterhooks at 1-0 but was never really concerned last night that we were going to concede.

Similar thoughts to most on here in terms of individual performances. Both Chambers brothers, Sawyers and Bradshaw all impressive. Cain unspectacular but certainly does a job. Mantom looking fitter all the time. Manset looked the best I've seen him and could have quite easily grabbed a goal or two, although with his final rampaging effort he should have laid in Grimes who was unmarked, screaming on the penalty spot.

Said to a mate last night, again as others have said on here, that if Cook and Forde can find any sort of consistent form then we could be in and around the play off picture but mid table security is probably more likely.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season