Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) F'ball L'gue Trophy, Wed Nov 12, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
m&m
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield United (H) F'ball L'gue Trophy, Wed Nov 12, 7.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:14 am

otiswfc wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Good win good performance.

I heard more chants tonight that I have in my last 3 visits and there was under 2000 Walsall fans there!?

I give up trying to work us out ha.

I've told you before the atmosphere would be better with the away end was shut up also close the upper tier so the fans are less spread out imagine if they did that every game 4000 fans would sound even better because we'd basically be playing in a 6000 capacity stadium it's not rocket science.

Agreed. The club should close the upper tier for all games with less than 4000 in attendance. Alright it would upset a few season ticket holders who would have to move but would contribute to a much better atmosphere for most matches instead of the current morgue.

JAL-WFC

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:23 am

m&m wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

I heard more chants tonight that I have in my last 3 visits and there was under 2000 Walsall fans there!?

I've told you before the atmosphere would be better with the away end was shut up also close the upper tier so the fans are less spread out imagine if they did that every game 4000 fans would sound even better because we'd basically be playing in a 6000 capacity stadium it's not rocket science.

Agreed. The club should close the upper tier for all games with less than 4000 in attendance. Alright it would upset a few season ticket holders who would have to move but would contribute to a much better atmosphere for most matches instead of the current morgue.

But what about the view...

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 pm

JAL-WFC wrote:
m&m wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

The view in the bottom tiers better without the backdrop of the busiest stretch of motorway in the UK.
Really don't understand people in the top tier I went up there once and thought it was terrible.

UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:37 pm

The motorway provides distraction occasionally.

UTS Legend

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:40 pm

JAL-WFC wrote:
m&m wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

Indeed. Are you paying for the view or the atmosphere?

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:I feel like a glory hunting Premier League fan after watching it at home (well, a mates home).

What an absolute hypocrite of the highest order.
FACT!

Yes, of course Sheff, whatever you say :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I understand the reasons why people like to sit up there, the view is fantastic, but rather an atmosphere personally. I dont think the view is bad in the lower tier anyway, and i cant even join the forces cause my eyes are so cack :P

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 pm

otiswfc wrote:
JAL-WFC wrote:
m&m wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

The view in the bottom tiers better without the backdrop of the busiest stretch of motorway in the UK.
Really don't understand people in the top tier I went up there once and thought it was terrible.

Each to their own mate. I was forced to sit downstairs for the first game of the season last season and I thought the view was awful. You can't see the spaces or angles. It's just a view of a jumble of legs and bodies with a ball flying about between them.

Add to that you get wet when it rains and there is basically no leg room. I pay a premium (over the price of the lower tier) to sit where I do. If the club ever want to put that in jeopardy just to force me downstairs then that's their choice.

SWS1

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:59 pm

tinned wrote:I feel like a glory hunting Premier League fan after watching it at home (well, a mates home).

Decent performance and a enjoyable(ish) second half. Both Chambers had good games. Manset impressed me, hopefully his performances will improve now he's getting fitter. I thought I'd entered an alternative universe when Grimes nearly scored.

I actually thought we were more fluent and "on top" in a rather dull first half. SU came out for the second a bit more up for it, but the goal changed the game (obviously) and we could - should - have had a couple more goals.
Anyway, I'm always happy with a win :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Was a good performance in the end - and when Mantom came on, you could see how much we've missed his quality. He gets stuck in, wins challenges that other midfields back out of, and has a lot of forward thinking vision, like when he played Manset in first time.

SWS1

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Looks like Sawyers has been credited with the goal (according to the BBC "report") so R O'K owes him a fiver for scoring with a header :lol:

SWS1

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 pm

On TV after the Walsall game Gordon Strachan said words to the effect:

Managing's no' that defficult. Find decent players, play them weer they like ter play. It's no' rocket science.

He wasn't talking about Walsall but about his role as Scotland manager. But was he talking to DS on the sly??
:mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Just got round to watching the game.

The penalty decision was a case of two wrongs making a right. The linesman missed the offside and the ref missed the trip by O'Donnell.

Both Sawyers looked good :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:56 pm

latviancheese wrote:... I can't even join the Forces because my eyes are so cack :P

Have you thought of taking up refereeing? :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:11 am

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:... I can't even join the Forces because my eyes are so cack :P

Never, id have to send myself off.

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 am

latviancheese wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

You know what causes bad eyesight...

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:41 am

kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:... I can't even join the Forces because my eyes are so eartha :P

Not enough carrots?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:34 pm

kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Yeah genetics, my dads from Wolves and me moms from West Brom, i was always gonna be retarded :lol:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Leatherman wrote:
kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:... I can't even join the Forces because my eyes are so eartha :P

Not enough carrots?

Or shagging your mates girlfriend.

Unless, of course, your mate is Clayton McDonald.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:37 pm

m&m wrote:Thanks to the provider of the link to watch the game over the net.
Watched the first half with my 7 year old who would not have been able to go tonight but is already dreaming of Wembley (like his dad!)
This season for me should be about achieving a mid table finish in L1 and going all out in the JPT.
It would be amazing to see us at Wembley and its quite achievable. Tranmere at home next please.
I will definitely be there home or away in the next round and hope lots or other Saddlers will to in the hope we will eventually achieve the dream of playing at Wembley.

Mid-table? Wembley?

Are you real (or deluded) m&m?

SWS1

Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Leatherman wrote:
kshammer wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Not enough carrots?

I thort it was playing with your carrot. :mrgreen:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 pm

He's dreaming of Chantenay! (that's about the size of it anyway) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season