Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League One 1st Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Notts County (A) League One 1st Nov, 3pm

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:58 am

Is it just me or does Sawyers point to the fans after the penalty was converted?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:14 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Is it just me or does Sawyers point to the fans after the penalty was converted?

dont know mate, was it you or sawyers ?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:52 pm

windowman wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Is it just me or does Sawyers point to the fans after the penalty was converted?

dont know mate, was it you or sawyers ?

Is it just me or does that response make no sense

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:47 pm

I think he was directing Bradshaw as originally Tom went the opposite way to celebrate.

SWS1

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Another good result and more evidence that Smith is the right manager for us. I'm so glad we're not like most clubs who sack their manager when the pressure is cranked up. Hopefully we can build on this and get up the table and away from the relegation zone. The 1st mission is to get to 51 points and then we see what we can do from there!!

Statistics suggest that teams who stick with a manager do better than those who change managers frequently. Occasionally, the "new boss bounce" can get a team out of trouble in the short term but a bit of loyalty pays dividends more often. Unless the manager is clearly pony-and-trap, a drunk or a wastrel (e.g. see several Walsall managers from just a few years ago). :mrgreen:

SWS1

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Can we have the extended highlights, please?
:D

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:51 pm

There was an idiot woman sat behind me who kept shouting "Get him off!" at Sawyers. Some people have no idea about football. :?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:28 pm

great away day, seemed like every saddler in attendance was under the influence and loving it. awesome.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:59 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:So the signings that our fans were screaming for (Manset, Butler) in the name of 'ambition' have turned out to be a waste of our budget? Well isn't that a turn-up fo the books.

After the performance against Leicester people were correct for wanting him to sign, since then he's offered very little. Butler was a decent signing for the month but would have been a waste of budget for this month as he would miss 2 games, so not quite sure what your point is.

The Manset signing was probably the right signing at that time, but it's what's happened since that's bugged me. He's been in our squad for what, two months? Yet he's still not fully fit and still not trusted to deputise for Bradshaw for longer than about five minutes at a time. I'm not sure whether that's purely down it him or the way he's been managed, but I can't help but think we need to find a way to bin him off fairly sharpish.

After Leicester yes. I didn't get a good feeling there was a few weeks delay and then seemingly the club went back cap in hand to him after a few other targets like McAlinden seemingly fell through for various reasons.

At the moment everything is fine with Cook, Sawyers and Bradshaw fit and available.

I said it a few weeks back that front trio has the potential to cause most teams in the division problems. It's not quite Brandy-Grigg-Paterson but on the budget Smith has he's done well to assemble that. Even better when Mantom is starting games and linking up with them.

The trouble and losses were again occur if there are injuries and Manset and Grimes reappear. Manset is way off the pace still and Grimes simply isn't good enough for this league.

I'd rather get a loan striker in for a month if Bradshaw's hamstring goes again. Loan O'Connor out to free up some wages if needs be.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:12 am

TheSwift wrote:

I think he was directing Bradshaw as originally Tom went the opposite way to celebrate.

Well that's what I thought - nice touch..... :)

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:490 was announced - an anomaly of nearly 400?

Wouldn't be the first time at Notts :D

You are referring I imagine, to the incident of the promotion winning match a few year's ago, when only 3,500 Saddlers magically managed to completely fill a stand with a capacity of over 5,000? And we were all fed with a bag of baps and a tin of sardines...

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:00 am

Hmmmm. I can see why people slag off Grimes but at the same time has he had a game up top?

I have only seen him on the right, and I saw some neat feet. If he is a #9 then surely he cannot be judged until he is played there.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 am

I thought we deserved to win. You could say the goals were lucky, but you make your own luck in football and both were forced by our play.

First half was even and we were the better side in the second. O'Donnel the undoubted man of the match, nearly of all of the chances County created required him to make a save.

Sawyers was involved in everything, Adam Chambers and Taylor were a bit off it I thought.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:09 am

fensaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:490 was announced - an anomaly of nearly 400?

Wouldn't be the first time at Notts :D

You are referring I imagine, to the incident of the promotion winning match a few year's ago, when only 3,500 Saddlers magically managed to completely fill a stand with a capacity of over 5,000? And we were all fed with a bag of baps and a tin of sardines...

The official away attendance that day was actually 2,538 :lol: .

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:Hmmmm. I can see why people slag off Grimes but at the same time has he had a game up top?

I have only seen him on the right, and I saw some neat feet. If he is a #9 then surely he cannot be judged until he is played there.

Played up front away at Gillingham if I remember correctly. Missed a relatively easy chance early on.

He is a tidy player, but is clearly low on confidence. He might come good, he might not, but obviously the very worst thing to do in such a situation is to get on his back,which a lot of Walsall fans appear to do :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:Hmmmm. I can see why people slag off Grimes but at the same time has he had a game up top?

We still don't play with a great deal of width, lots of stuff through middle still, so he could still do a job "on the right" surely? Its the defending bit that is the problem there though. And if he is the "best finisher in Mozambique" as Smith says, why would you stick him wide, leave him in and around the box to have a pop at things.

He isn't a poor player by any means, he has scored enough goals in League two for me to believe he can finish, im not convinced there is a great difference between most of L1 and L2. I think it another case of "where/how/what/when do we play him?" from Smith.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:So the signings that our fans were screaming for (Manset, Butler) in the name of 'ambition' have turned out to be a waste of our budget? Well isn't that a turn-up fo the books.

After the performance against Leicester people were correct for wanting him to sign, since then he's offered very little. Butler was a decent signing for the month but would have been a waste of budget for this month as he would miss 2 games, so not quite sure what your point is.

The point is that the hive mind of Walsall fans (or any club's fans) is very often wrong. When Butler left and Manset looked like he was the one that got away, there were plenty of fans willing to take a pop at Smith/Bonser for lack of ambition etc etc. Turns out that neither signing has helped us. So people jumped to conclusions after the Leicester game? More fool them, I say. There was plenty of evidence of Manset's patchy ability from his spells at Carlisle and Coventry. Sometimes it seems the club can't do right for doing wrong; sometimes I just think people are way too quick to point the finger.

BTW our worst defensive display of the season came with Butler in the team. Since he's gone we've won two in a row. We could have played a back line of Kinsella/Purkiss - Chambers/OConnor - Downing - Taylor for most of his month with us. Waste of budget.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:15 pm

SWS1 wrote:Statistics suggest that teams who stick with a manager do better than those who change managers frequently.

I always think that often quoted statistic is a complete load of twaddle.

Surely it's more of a case that clubs that employ good managers (and hence are successful) don't sack managers as often as those clubs that employ duffers?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

The point is that the hive mind of Walsall fans (or any club's fans) is very often wrong. When Butler left and Manset looked like he was the one that got away, there were plenty of fans willing to take a pop at Smith/Bonser for lack of ambition etc etc. Turns out that neither signing has helped us. So people jumped to conclusions after the Leicester game? More fool them, I say. There was plenty of evidence of Manset's patchy ability from his spells at Carlisle and Coventry. Sometimes it seems the club can't do right for doing wrong; sometimes I just think people are way too quick to point the finger.

BTW our worst defensive display of the season came with Butler in the team. Since he's gone we've won two in a row. We could have played a back line of Kinsella/Purkiss - Chambers/OConnor - Downing - Taylor for most of his month with us. Waste of budget.

I completely agree with the point you make. I said at the time I wasn't hugely convinced the Butler signing was that sensible a use of budget - we'd kept the most clean sheets in the league at that time.

That said, I do think the win against Preston was as much down to Butler as anyone - it was almost as if it was just meant to be.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:58 pm

tinned wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Statistics suggest that teams who stick with a manager do better than those who change managers frequently.

I always think that often quoted statistic is a complete load of twaddle.

Surely it's more of a case that clubs that employ good managers (and hence are successful) don't sack managers as often as those clubs that employ duffers?

Unless he's totally incompetent, In the short term I don't think it matters if you sack the manager or not. See this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

In the long term I personally do think you get continuity benefits from keeping a manager in place. Also you save paying compensation etc that can be invested in the team.

SMITHIN :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:30 pm

IHTC. wrote:

If they had had 3 or 4 friendlies to make an informed decision then yes slate people but not after 1 game, that was all people had to go on and it was indeed a good impression to go by, even the Leicester fans were impressed.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 pm

SWS1 wrote:Can we have the extended highlights, please?
:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE74eHgE73I

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 am

Just watched extended highlights and ive gota say O'Donnell won us those 3 points. Great performance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:02 pm

They are normally decent but that looks like it was filmed on a gameboy. Rubbish.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:43 pm

tipton saddler wrote:Just watched extended highlights and ive gota say O'Donnell won us those 3 points. Great performance.

Also helped set up the first goal with a smart kick out to Purkiss on the right flank. We should be sorting him out a new contract now.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

tipton saddler wrote:Just watched extended highlights and ive gota say O'Donnell won us those 3 points. Great performance.

Also helped set up the first goal with a smart kick out to Purkiss on the right flank. We should be sorting him out a new contract now.

Yep, definitely time to tie Purkiss down with a longer deal. I'd possibly consider giving O'Donnell one too.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

bangsection wrote:I'd possibly consider giving O'Donnell one too.

He's certainly a good looking lad.

Decent goalie too. In fact I'd be thinking about giving him a longer contract.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:02 pm

bangsection wrote:

Yep, definitely time to tie Purkiss down with a longer deal. I'd possibly consider giving O'Donnell one too.

utter filth

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season