Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League One 1st Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Notts County (A) League One 1st Nov, 3pm

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Let's hope this mini revival turns in to some consistent form of the good kind.

Losses here and there are acceptable, but to go on runs like we do - 2 wins in 32, or 12 if you don't want to count the previous season, simply isn't good enough.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:22 pm

IHTC. wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:There will no doubt be those doom-and-gloom merchants who say that because our goals were a combination of an o.g. and a penalty, the win wasn't really deserved.

Only a cretin would opine such jacksons.

Very true

I've just had a report from my brother and a mate and they said that the win wasn't really deserved because it was a combination of an O.G. and a penalty :D

SMITHOUT - he's garbage :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Cully wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:There will no doubt be those doom-and-gloom merchants who say that because our goals were a combination of an o.g. and a penalty, the win wasn't really deserved.

Only a cretin would opine such jacksons.

Very true

I've just had a report from my brother and a mate and they said that the win wasn't really deserved because it was a combination of an O.G. and a penalty :D

SMITHOUT - he's garbage :D

:lol:

SWS1

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 pm

I know we've failed dismally on (many) occasions lately to stick the leather in the web but the fact is, with the possible exception of Rochdale, we haven't actually played badly and we certainly haven't been done over. A bit of luck (well, better shooting, to be honest) we could easily have won three more games. I look forward to reports of the real supporters - them what goes away - before passing judgement on this game but the fact remains, once again, we got ourselves in a position to at least threaten a goal more times than the opposition, this time as an away team. That's got to be a good sign. The Shrewsbury game is going to be very interesting as they seem to be in a fine vein of form and we seem to be getting our act together.
EXCELSIOR!
UTS!

:D One happy fan!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm here all night Chester after I've watched 'Strictly' and popped out for a little evening soiree with Mrs Cully although we might not bother and just order room service instead.

SMITHOUT - he's still garbage :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Cully wrote:I'm here all night Chester after I've watched 'Strictly' and popped out for a little evening soiree with Mrs Cully although we might not bother and just order room service instead.

I thought you were overseas?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Good game, boisterous away end, notts county announced that there were 884 away fans, a lot paid on the door like ourselves. O'Donnell played a blinder today, well done him, he looked well pumped at the end. Mansett needs shooting. Defence did well, Sawyers is frustrating but he is a talent, just needs to focus on his decision making.

Now enjoying a triple IPA, good night!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:56 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Well, since I called for DS to go after Crewe/Crawley, we have won our last two. The same happened the last time my patience ran out [v Yeovil in December 2012] when we then went from bottom 6 to top 6 in three months.

I'm happy to have been proved wrong [again!] for now, but we are still only an injury or two from struggle, which is still a great concern. We can't rely on Bradshaw all the time, but tonight is for celebrating the best result of the season so far.

Well done to DS, ROK and the players. I look forward to hearing from those who were there.

If you were less patient, we might well be top of the league :twisted:

I'm kicking myself about that, chester.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:I'm here all night Chester after I've watched 'Strictly' and popped out for a little evening soiree with Mrs Cully although we might not bother and just order room service instead.

I thought you were overseas?

Woolacombe for a long weekend and then I'll be back for a few days in Rugeley before I set off for Tallinn early on Friday morning so will miss the cup game :( You can keep up my spirits with regular reports from the match :D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Good game, boisterous away end, notts county announced that there were 884 away fans, a lot paid on the door like ourselves. O'Donnell played a blinder today, well done him, he looked well pumped at the end. Mansett needs shooting. Defence did well, Sawyers is frustrating but he is a talent, just needs to focus on his decision making.

490 was announced - an anomaly of nearly 400?

Wouldn't be the first time at Notts :D

Great, unexpected win! Having a dependable keeper is invaluable
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:21 pm

We owe all 3 points to RoD, he was a rock.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Cracking result! Happy with that, even if it wasn't the 7-0 I predicted.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Great result. Feared for us after 1st half defence was all over the place . The highlight being their number 36 ran through unchallenged from just inside our half only to be stopped by O'Donnel getting in the way of his shot. 2nd half we were a different team not giving them one chance and were by far the better team.
Shame about Manset full time made straight for the tunnel ignoring us only to reappear maybe pushed back out by Smith / O'Kelly ?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Great win today - hopefully the tide is turning for us now.

Tom Bradshaw... it may have only been a penalty but I love the bloke.

Lone Striker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Really impressed by our performance today, great to hear the opposition Manager on local radio complimenting us on our performance accepting his team were beaten by the better team on the day.

No weak links today but must mention a couple of outstanding saves by ROD at important times, Purkiss outstanding not putting a foot wrong all game, and Michael Cain who grew in confidence and looked a really good player second half.

Disappointed to see Manset trudge straight off at the end without any appreciation of what was a terrific away support today, looked disinterested and if that's the case ship him out and get Bakayoko back in the squad.

Things are looking up, on to next week

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Thought the first half was pretty even, but we were definitely the better side in the 2nd. As said previously some excellent saves by R O'D. I am surprised Manset found the tunnel as he couldn't pass the ball to whoever was completely in the clear on the right side of the area in the last couple of mins of injury time. Not impressed with him at all.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Would not be suprised if Manset has his contract terminated by mutual agreement soon.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:00 pm

IHTC. wrote:Would not be suprised if Manset has his contract terminated by mutual agreement soon.

Again

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 pm

So the signings that our fans were screaming for (Manset, Butler) in the name of 'ambition' have turned out to be a waste of our budget? Well isn't that a turn-up fo the books.

SWS1

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:43 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
derbysaddler wrote: O'Donnell played a blinder today, well done him, he looked well pumped at the end. Mansett needs shooting. Defence did well, Sawyers is frustrating but he is a talent, just needs to focus on his decision making.

Some on here were giving O'D a bit of stick recently. Seems unfair. On the whole, he's been a great asset. Everyone can have a bad day at the office but he's been very dependable mostly. :D

SWS1

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:45 pm

We'm now a mossive three points above the drop zone!
:D

SWS1

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Lone Striker wrote:Really impressed by our performance today, great to hear the opposition Manager on local radio complimenting us on our performance accepting his team were beaten by the better team on the day.

Things are looking up, on to next week

That is refreshing. The Crawley manager should have come out and said:
" God, how did we win that one? Incredible! We were absolute pony-and-trap but got a lucky break at the end. Good job Walsall couldn't hit a cow's R-se with a banjo today. They as good as slaughtered us but didn't score. We was dead lucky. Best team we've played this season" :mrgreen:

:? By the way, what did he actually say? Probably some pony-and-trap like:
"We were under the cosh but dug in and got our reward for a gritty display" or some such absolute eartha kit. :evil:

Er, am I in the right thread for this? :oops:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:So the signings that our fans were screaming for (Manset, Butler) in the name of 'ambition' have turned out to be a waste of our budget? Well isn't that a turn-up fo the books.

After the performance against Leicester people were correct for wanting him to sign, since then he's offered very little. Butler was a decent signing for the month but would have been a waste of budget for this month as he would miss 2 games, so not quite sure what your point is.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:04 pm

SWS1 wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
derbysaddler wrote: O'Donnell played a blinder today, well done him, he looked well pumped at the end. Mansett needs shooting. Defence did well, Sawyers is frustrating but he is a talent, just needs to focus on his decision making.

Some on here were giving O'D a bit of stick recently. Seems unfair. On the whole, he's been a great asset. Everyone can have a bad day at the office but he's been very dependable mostly. :D

Delighted he's back on form but any flack he's received was well deserved. It has been more than one bad day at the office this season and noone is above criticism.

He's a cracking keeper at this level and hopefully his, and the team's, form continues now.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 am

Really pleasing victory today, ground it out against a very committed Notts County who will probably be in and around the play-off picture come May.

1st half I thought we played mainly on the counter and it was probably fair to go in at the break all square.

Second half however we really kicked on, which was very pleasing, with some real hard working performances across the pitch and some fantastic saves from O'Donnell to keep us in it.

The only downside was Manset, trying to beat 3 men on his own when he had Forde open and through on goal was simply disgraceful coupled with the fact he headed straight for the tunnel at the final whistle, I can't see him staying at the Bescot for too much longer...

Onwards and upwards, the Shrewsbury game is lining up to be a real cracker!

Oh and the travelling support was fantastic today, certainly sounded more than 490!

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:16 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=54F17503

A view of the handball which resulted in our penalty.
Their player is clearly inside the area.
Not sure whether his hand is though.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:26 am

A great result to wake up to!
As another who has been calling for smith to go I'm both delighted and a little amazed that fortunes have turned over the last 2 games.
Just hope we can maintain it.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:47 am

A nicely worked OG. Good play for the penalty, too. :D

http://youtu.be/CsqMboVGPHQ

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 am

IHTC. wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:So the signings that our fans were screaming for (Manset, Butler) in the name of 'ambition' have turned out to be a waste of our budget? Well isn't that a turn-up fo the books.

After the performance against Leicester people were correct for wanting him to sign, since then he's offered very little. Butler was a decent signing for the month but would have been a waste of budget for this month as he would miss 2 games, so not quite sure what your point is.

The Manset signing was probably the right signing at that time, but it's what's happened since that's bugged me. He's been in our squad for what, two months? Yet he's still not fully fit and still not trusted to deputise for Bradshaw for longer than about five minutes at a time. I'm not sure whether that's purely down it him or the way he's been managed, but I can't help but think we need to find a way to bin him off fairly sharpish.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:32 am

Another good result and more evidence that Smith is the right manager for us. I'm so glad we're not like most clubs who sack their manager when the pressure is cranked up. Hopefully we can build on this and get up the table and away from the relegation zone. The 1st mission is to get to 51 points and then we see what we can do from there!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season