Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League One 25th Oct, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (H) League One 25th Oct, 3.00pm

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Final score 1-0. Sounds like a "grinding out" result, but a very welcome 3 points anyway. Look forward to reports from those who went to the game.

I'm looking at a train ride to Nottingham next week - where do we get the pre-match beer???? :D

Well done on your first win of the season, Welsh! First of many?

Hear, hear.

He's been invited to start the match thread on the Blues forum next week :lol:

...and I turned it down - even I draw the line somewhere !!! :D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:938 Chesterfield!!!!

How many did we take to Crawley 101?

Timely reminder from a club that is considered smaller than Walsall just how pathetic our support is - even when we are doing well it's dire.

Seems a slightly unfair comparison 332 mile round trip on a Tuesday night with 120 miles on a Saturday afternoon

We would have taken 938 to Chesterfield? Would have been lucky to top 400 - we took 500 there when we were doing really well a couple of Seasons ago with Grigg & Paterson on top form.

So compare that instead.

How about the fact that Chesterfield are still riding the wave of promotion whilst we trudge on with our win one in a blue moon form.

Riding the wave of promotion? Why don't you jump on their message boards and check out that 'wave' after this win-less run!! I'll await your findings with interest.......

I would also suggest that Chesterfield have been a yo-yo clubs for a number of years and trip to Walsall is not a glamour tie for them by any means.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

Timely reminder from a club that is considered smaller than Walsall just how pathetic our support is - even when we are doing well it's dire.

Seems a slightly unfair comparison 332 mile round trip on a Tuesday night with 120 miles on a Saturday afternoon

We would have taken 938 to Chesterfield? Would have been lucky to top 400 - we took 500 there when we were doing really well a couple of Seasons ago with Grigg & Paterson on top form.

So compare that instead.

How about the fact that Chesterfield are still riding the wave of promotion whilst we trudge on with our win one in a blue moon form.

How much did you win on your banker?

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

So compare that instead.

How much did you win on your banker?

I'm not a betting man. Walsall have a knack of handing out of form teams with a nice 3 point pick me up. It was my forecast and nothing else. :roll:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:I'm not a betting man. Walsall have a knack of handing out of form teams with a nice 3 point pick me up. It was my forecast and nothing else. :roll:

So not really a banker then?

If it's any consolation I associate the word banker with most of your posts.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:10 pm

:lol:

Been on the Chesterfield boards have we Ghost? I'm waiting to hear all about this 'positive wave' they are currently enjoying?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:I'm not a betting man. Walsall have a knack of handing out of form teams with a nice 3 point pick me up. It was my forecast and nothing else. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

So compare that instead.

Riding the wave of promotion? Why don't you jump on their message boards and check out that 'wave' after this win-less run!! I'll await your findings with interest.......

I would also suggest that Chesterfield have been a yo-yo clubs for a number of years and trip to Walsall is not a glamour tie for them by any means.

Still say their current attendances and following will still reflect a promotion despite their recent downturn. Takes a while for attendances to go up or down. If they continue their own bad run I'd expect their following to drop slowly just like ours would increase slowly if our muppet ever fixed his broken squad. I would also think events in their recent history such as the excitement of moving to a new ground would also boost their following as it has for Rotherham.

Failing any of the above it could be purely down to our Balti Pies vs. their god damn awful meat pies.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:

:lol: careful you don't over stretch that brain cell with that clever wit of yours. By the way I didn't see you joining in the spirit of predicting a scoreline. Is that a struggle with numbers or a fear of getting it wrong? bless.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Wow, this place is buzzing tonight. Oh, nope. Sorry - we won the game and people don't want to comment when that happens do they?! Just meets the vindication of most modern day football fans who just LOVE a good old reasons to moan.

Far from a polished performance, but how many games do we lose 1-0 when a Draw was probabaly a better reflection of the game? The game was tight, could have gone either way but we took our chance and I felt we had the best of the chances overall. Chesterfield were a decent side, but Doyle didn't trouble us and despite having more of the territory they didn't create a great deal bar a couple of headers from distance and a late chance that Gary Roberts fluffed trying to finish with his left foot when a right footed finish was so much easier.

I just feel so more confident that if we get a chance, we will take it when Bradshaw is on the pitch. Once again he was tireless, brillant with his back to goal, offered running and will. He's everything I wanted Westcarr to be, but the difference in the all round game of Bradshaw and Westcarr couldn't be any further apart. I thought Downing, Bradshaw, Sawyers, Purkiss and James Chambers were excellent. Cain barely touched the ball and we seemed to leave numerous pockets where there central midfielder Morsy could take the ball on the half way line and make a surge towards a shooting position on our goal. Better teams would have taken advantage of that. Cook was fairly anonymous out wide and Baxendale horrific, Forde was miles better when he came on. Something looks wrong with Taylor, wonder if he's still carrying a knock or an illness? Barely left his half in an attacking sense - certainly nothing like that Taylor of last year. Benning came and on and nearly scored a peachy second goal late on, very good save from the keeper. Hopefully that does his confidence some good. Mantom looked rusty when he came on, but got a warm reception and should be back to fitness within a few weeks.

Hopefully this is the start of a more consistent patch when we even out into mid table, but with a tough month including a very hard game at Notts County next week - I shant be holding my breath.

O'Donnell - Did okay, his distribution has been poor for weeks though. Nearly dropped a shot early on. Needs some work. 6

Purkiss - Excellent. Only me that thinks he has lost a stone? Looks lighter on his feet, got forward well and defended nicely. 8

Chambers - Solid, didn't put a foot wrong really. Couple of loose passes but won virtually everything otherwise.

Downing - Probabaly my MOTM. Since Rochdale, he's been excellent I feel. Won everything in the air, positionally excellent. 9

Taylor - Worst of the back 4. Dragged in constantly and has lost attacking confidence. One brillant covering tackle late in the first half that had goal written all over it otherwise though. 6

Chambers - Worked hard and got a foot in. Still doesn't do enough for me though. Passing and first touch poor at times. 5

Cain - Had a hand in the goal but offered very little else really. Fairly anonymous. Mantom to play when fit. 5

Baxendale - Horrendous. A man in a childs body. A scared little boy with very little pace or skill. Even the basics poor. 3

Cook - Did okay when he got into the game. Should have scored but for a brillant block down the other end late in the first half. Seemed to struggle to stay in the game and obviously doesn't want to play wide. 5

Sawyers - Pulled the strings again. Showed a different side to his game today though, got his shoulder in, took some niggly fouls from that orrible lump Evatt. Wasn't at his fluent best by any means, but his ball retention and just general brain improve us 100 fold. 8

Bradshaw - Looked like he hadn't missed a beat. Struggled a little bit early on. Once again, he was tireless, strong, inventive, always a willing runner. He should have buried a chance in the first half but scored with a smart weak footed finish in the second half. Probably our most exciting forward since Leitao, potential to be miles better than Grigg. 9

SUBS -

Forde - Excellent, must start over Baxendale. Ran at his full back, beat a few men and looked generally creative whenever he was on the ball. He's just a more natural winger than Cook or Bax and must take a slot on one wing. 7

Benning - Was dreading seeing him come on, but he was okay actually. Worked hard and nearly scored what would have been a brillant late second from a tight angle after skinning 3 or 4 men near the byline. 7

Mantom - Looked rusty, misplaced a few passes and just generally didn't look ready to be starting games anytime soon. Very understandable though. Enjoyed his reception. 5.

Overall, a good win against a tough side to play against. A good cleansheet and relief to get 3 points that we arguably deserved from Tuesday night, more so than today. A very tough game against County next week, high on confidence, form and most importantly MOMENTUM - the key word in league one this season I feel (see Oldham).

UTS.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Pretty sure Walsall took just under 1000 to Vale on the opening day which is a comparable 50 minute trip so not really sure what the point is here.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Pretty sure Walsall took just under 1000 to Vale on the opening day which is a comparable 50 minute trip so not really sure what the point is here.

If you need me to tell you why the opening day is not comparable with today then I am worried about you.

Tell me; how many would we have taken to Chesterfield? We were chasing the play-offs when we took 500 there - as stated above? How many would Chesterfield have brought if they were chasing the play-offs? Bearing all this in mind they are meant to be a 'lower ranked' team than us!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:33 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Pretty sure Walsall took just under 1000 to Vale on the opening day which is a comparable 50 minute trip so not really sure what the point is here.

If you need me to tell you why the opening day is not comparable with today then I am worried about you.

Tell me; how many would we have taken to Chesterfield? We were chasing the play-offs when we took 500 there - as stated above? How many would Chesterfield have brought if they were chasing the play-offs? Bearing all this in mind they are meant to be a 'lower ranked' team than us!

Stop arguing and enjoy the win ffs, I'm sure you would argue with your own shadow given the opportunity.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Stop arguing and enjoy the win ffs, I'm sure you would argue with your own shadow given the opportunity.

I was about to post the same. Bicker elsewhere please. This thread is supposed to be about the match! It enables those who couldn't make it get an insight into how it went.
Last edited by DonningtonSaddler on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm

I thought that was probably our least convincing home performance of the season, but if you believe Dean Smith our showing at Crawley was one of our best and we walked away with nothing. I'll certainly take the three points today, however fortunate we were.

Being completely honest, I don't think many would get a rating higher than a 6/10 for their performance this afternoon. Sawyers and Bradshaw were decent, Taylor grew into the game after a shaky start, and Forde was excellent when he came on. Other than that though, it was a performance littered with dodgy first touches and needless giving the ball away.

Today proved yet again that Bradshaw is the only player capable of playing up front. He occupies defenders, moves them around, and really comes alive in the box. I'm sure we'd be 5-6 points better off if he'd been fit for every game, but his injuries and Smith's poor use of his budget means we look absolutely toothless when he doesn't play. When he does play though, we only need to create one chance in the confidence he'll tuck it away.

Forde's an interesting one. He played like a world-beater when he came on, but that's come after a couple of pretty poor showings. In fairness, I think you have to give the manager credit for the way he's handled that one because he seems to have put a bit of fire in Forde's belly again.

Today was quite refreshing in a way because I can't remember the last time we won a game we probably didn't deserve to, yet how many times have we played reasonably well and lost? To coin the old cliche, perhaps that's the sign of a good side.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:51 pm

What a relief to win today. Wasn't always pretty although we showed what we are capable of in the second half. Our no. 9 is a proper star ! He was given two chances and buried one to win it.
Winning on a Saturday almost makes cack factor and the wife's yapping about it bearable :P
Up the Saddlers forever

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:58 pm

What a difference one player can make. Sounds like a game that was decided on a finish.

Keep him fit, try and stop these little niggles and knocks and we might just dent something this season. It becomes clearer and clearer every week he plays how much we need him in the side.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Also, Bradshaw looked like he was struggling with either a hamstring or calf injury shortly after we'd made out third sub. Let's hope this isn't recurring hamstring injury round 3.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Latvian I've just seen your location comment and nearly spat my beer out :lol:
Is it just me or does young Samson in emmerdale remind you of Bax ?? Shtick brew on !!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Also, Bradshaw looked like he was struggling with either a hamstring or calf injury shortly after we'd made out third sub. Let's hope this isn't recurring hamstring injury round 3.

:evil:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:32 pm

It is with some relief that we finally got a win. The difference? one man.................Tom Bradshaw. The first half followed a now familiar pattern at home, a cautious tedious build up mixed up with the occasional bright move but usually ending with a misplaced pass or running into trouble and choosing the 'safe' backward route. Can't say I and everyone around me were optimistic about the second half, although I suspect from the actions and words coming from their manager [Paul Cook] I don't think he was too happy either, sending out his team a little early for the second half - possible half time rollicking.
Once again I am mystified by the frequent inclusion of the ineffective Baxendale and his substitution early in the second half for Forde at last gave the side a little urgency. It was the best performance I have seen by Forde as he extravagantly took on player after player and within minutes we were ahead with an assured finish by Bradshaw after being on the end of a cross from Cain, bit worried that he may have been offside but no flag and we were ahead :D

No doubt that the win will be greeted by SMITHOUT's blind followers with their well used mantra of 'results and performances don't matter so long as he's given to the end of time etc...' for the rest of us, is this any different from the last three years? Well I hope so, just like I hoped the last time we won and the last time and the last time etc etc

Notts County next week anybody for a repeat of last seasons visit? Unfortunately I will be taking a short break but will message in to congratulate the team for an outstanding result without my support :D

SMITHOUT..........he's garbage PERIOD :arrow:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Cully wrote:It is with some relief that we finally got a win. The difference? one man.................Tom Bradshaw. The first half followed a now familiar pattern at home, a cautious tedious build up mixed up with the occasional bright move but usually ending with a misplaced pass or running into trouble and choosing the 'safe' backward route. Can't say I and everyone around me were optimistic about the second half, although I suspect from the actions and words coming from their manager [Paul Cook] I don't think he was too happy either, sending out his team a little early for the second half - possible half time rollicking.
Once again I am mystified by the frequent inclusion of the ineffective Baxendale and his substitution early in the second half for Forde at last gave the side a little urgency. It was the best performance I have seen by Forde as he extravagantly took on player after player and within minutes we were ahead with an assured finish by Bradshaw after being on the end of a cross from Cain, bit worried that he may have been offside but no flag and we were ahead :D

No doubt that the win will be greeted by SMITHOUT's blind followers with their well used mantra of 'results and performances don't matter so long as he's given to the end of time etc...' for the rest of us, is this any different from the last three years? Well I hope so, just like I hoped the last time we won and the last time and the last time etc etc

Notts County next week anybody for a repeat of last seasons visit? Unfortunately I will be taking a short break but will message in to congratulate the team for an outstanding result without my support :D

Cue me. Good result Dean well done. 5 points would have been a fairer haul from the last three games so I'm not despairing at all. As before I think Deano's doing a fine job.
For all the tosh about Grimes etc..Deano has brought some wonderful players to this club. Bradshaw being one. Guess what, not every player you bring in is going to work.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Tom Bradshaw is like Will Grigg 2.0, can do everything he could do, but we don't have to put up with 3 years of a raw young striker or him celebrating to empty seats when he scores. Proper fans favourite, proper striker.

Let's get a run going.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

My last post on this will end it, Walsall last played Chesterfield away in December 2011, that was a relegation battle season so I don't recall any play off chases that year.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

My last post on this will end it, Walsall last played Chesterfield away in December 2011, that was a relegation battle season so I don't recall any play off chases that year.

Don't go stating facts to Funk SoccerHQ, you now that's not allowed :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Forde's an interesting one. He played like a world-beater when he came on, but that's come after a couple of pretty poor showings. In fairness, I think you have to give the manager credit for the way he's handled that one because he seems to have put a bit of fire in Forde's belly again.

My opinion on Forde early doors (and I've seen little to change my mind) is he's a "homer." Which in my language means he's a player that in the comfy surroundings of home games will be effective but away from home where he'll get kicked in the first 10 minutes and won't get as much of the ball you just won't see him, he was non-existant at Oldham.

It's interesting with the team set up that amusingly for the first time in about 100 years it's much easier to get home results. I think that's due to the lack of pace in the team...2 seasons ago it was brandy and Paterson sparking counter attackers and away wins...even last season it was still a reasonably quick forward line with Westcarr and Lakovic so the away form was still very good.

Now the team is a lot slower pace which means away games are now a struggle to win yet 3 wins out of the last 5 at home which we haven't said very often in the last few years.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Don't go stating facts to Funk SoccerHQ, you now that's not allowed :D

Understood Tyldesley. :D

Chesterfield are one of these clubs that veer from being on the verge of being busted to flushed with cash every 5 minutes. Bournmouth were like that a few years back and Scunny have been the recent examples.

They're going through a better spell at the minute so inevitably will get more fans coming home and away. Would imagine they'll end up in mid table.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
Cully wrote:It is with some relief that we finally got a win. The difference? one man.................Tom Bradshaw. The first half followed a now familiar pattern at home, a cautious tedious build up mixed up with the occasional bright move but usually ending with a misplaced pass or running into trouble and choosing the 'safe' backward route. Can't say I and everyone around me were optimistic about the second half, although I suspect from the actions and words coming from their manager [Paul Cook] I don't think he was too happy either, sending out his team a little early for the second half - possible half time rollicking.

Cue me. Good result Dean well done. 5 points would have been a fairer haul from the last three games so I'm not despairing at all. As before I think Deano's doing a fine job.
For all the tosh about Grimes etc..Deano has brought some wonderful players to this club. Bradshaw being one. Guess what, not every player you bring in is going to work.

Interesting if somewhat subjective view of SMITHOUT considering the actual facts ie results and performances witnessed by those of us who have seen most of his games in charge :wink:

Anyway let us hope this unbeaten run leads eventually to his appointment as the next England manager.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Cully wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:

Interesting if somewhat subjective view of SMITHOUT considering the actual facts ie results and performances witnessed by those of us who have seen most of his games in charge :wink:

Anyway let us hope this unbeaten run leads eventually to his appointment as the next England manager.

Hodgsonout

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Cully wrote:Unfortunately I will be taking a short break

Rehab?

Well done the lads!!!
What's that sound I hear?
Oh, it's the sound of Smith's win/loss percentage being recalculated....

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season