Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League One 25th Oct, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chesterfield (H) League One 25th Oct, 3.00pm

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:16 pm

The spireites grace us with their presence on Saturday as we look to reverse the latest mini-slump and climb out of the relegation mire. After the disaster that was Crewe Alexandra, the performance at Crawley was a huge improvement in terms of effort, attitude and concentration on peppering the opponents' goal. Unfortunately none of the pepper made the back of the net rustle, and a Crawley 30-yard free kick settled matters. I can't help but think that 25 to 30 attempts on goal must bring some reward, and I hope the boys can provide a repeat performance against Chesterfield.

Chesterfield are currently 10th in the League One table on 19 points, but they have conceded more goals than we have (20 against our 15 - do you get the feeling I'm clutching at straws here?)...they also have League One's leading scorer by some distance, Eoin Doyle having found the net 14 times, which is only one less than Walsall have managed as a team. Chesterfield's current form:

20 Sep Doncaster Rovers (A) Lost 3-2
27 Sep Notts County (H) Drew 1-1
4 Oct Sheffield United (H) Won 3-2
11 Oct Bristol City (A) Lost 3-2
18 Oct Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
21 Oct Colchester United (A) Lost 2-1

They've only failed to score in 2 of their away games this season, so it does look as though we will have to locate our shooting boots from wherever they've been hiding. The good news is that the return of Tom Bradshaw is looking encouraging, and the same goes for Sam Mantom, who played most of a reserve game this week at Port Vale with no reported ill-effects. We have to see goals in this game, they're long overdue, so I'll go for a 2-1 win, with Bradshaw and Cook for the Saddlers.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (H) League One 25th Oct, 3.00pm

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Walsall to win 2-0.

Westcarr to score both.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I think we will score but so will chesterfield definitely with the league's leading scorer in there team and butler not in ours.
Walsall 1 chesterfield 3
Att :4905. 945 from chesterfield.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Lets hope we can find a win, not many things in life worse than losing to Chesterfield.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Lets hope we can find a win, not many things in life worse than losing to Chesterfield.

You have forgotten Crewe?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:19 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Lets hope we can find a win, not many things in life worse than losing to Chesterfield.

You have forgotten Crewe?

I've tried to every day since they did us 5-1 in the play offs, but there aren't many days it doesn't cross my mind. Chesterfield is worse though, far worse.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for the preview Welsh!

This is a cup final for me.
My best mate supports Chesterfield.
He reckons they've sold their allocation and some fans will also be paying on the gate.
He also reckons a lot of their goals have come from excellent work by Daniel Johnson who is on loan from the Villa.
He goes back to Villa after the next couple of games.
Strangely he was only a sub in their last game so maybe they are testing the waters without him....

I'm going for us to smash them based on the number of shots we had against Crawley.
4-1 to us.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am

Whitters wrote:Thanks for the preview Welsh!

He reckons they've sold their allocation and some fans will also be paying on the gate.
He also reckons a lot of their goals have come from excellent work by Daniel Johnson who is on loan from the Villa.
Strangely he was only a sub in their last game so maybe they are testing the waters without him....

I'm going for us to smash them based on the number of shots we had against Crawley.
4-1 to us.

I may not agree with all of your posts, but I'd like that a lot !

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 am

An incident filled 3-2 victory.

Cain, Bradshaw and a stoppage time Mantom winner for us.
Doyle and Roberts for them.

Attendance 4,286.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am

An entertaining 2-2

Bradshaw and Cain for us with 750 from Derbyshire.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

Just been reading one of their fan sites and although they have sold their original allocation, it was only for 400.

Why so low I wonder? Were we trying to fob them off up the corner or just trying to get more of them to pay on the gate for the £2 uplift in revenue?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am

Rushall Saddler wrote:Just been reading one of their fan sites and although they have sold their original allocation, it was only for 400.

Why so low I wonder? Were we trying to fob them off up the corner or just trying to get more of them to pay on the gate for the £2 uplift in revenue?

They would have only asked for 400 because any unsold tickets sent still have to be paid for so there probably just playing it safe they can still phone our ticket office and get them for the original price. They should bring around 1000 not bad about 500 more than we will take up there if we don't improve.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am

Ahh, the home game against the remote and rather strange inhabitants of Chesterfield. No doubt due to their success so far this season we can expect many crab like scuttling folk in the away end.

Head say's we'll lose this, which is gutting because losing to Chesterfield is similar to losing an intellectual argument with a stale bread roll (seedless)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 am

I really hate losing to this lot. Since their move support has increased considerably [from 3,500 to 5,500+] and they currently have a decent side. I understand they even try and play a bit of football these days, something they haven't previously done since Arthur Cox managed them and Alan Birch [and Ernie Moss] was playing for them.

I used to enjoy our rivalry, particularly when we pipped them to automatic promotion under Chris Nicholl in 1994-5. For a number of seasons there was a 'bit of an edge' to games with the Spireites and I always looked forward to my visits to Saltergate.

We may just nick a point or three here, so I'll go for a 1-1 draw in front of just over 4,000, including 700 from Derbyshire.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Fully fit squad to pick from, well. Bradshaw and Mantom will return to the squad anyway - neither will be properly fit for 90 minutes, especially not Mantom who won't start for a few weeks IMO. Cain is an ex Mansfield boy, so let's hope he finds the net vs their main rivals. I've got a strange feeling that this will be a certain result either way. We will either lose heavily and probably be 2 or 3 down early (see Notts County under Hutchings, or Bristol Rovers) or we will win the game comfortably 3-1 perhaps.

We had 30 shots on goal the other night so if Bradshaw is even remotely fit I would expect him to offer us more goal threat. Should he play I'd imagine Baxendale will be dropped and Cook sent to play wide. Gary Roberts is unfit for them, but Daniel Johnson who plays in central midfield (looks a little like Sawyers) has had an exceptional season so far, very mobile, one touch, pass and move kind of player (kind of like Cuvelier, but better?) and Eoin Doyle has scored 15 goals already this season.

I'd go with.

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Chambers
Downing
Taylor

Cook
Cain
Chambers
Forde

Sawyers
Bradshaw

Mantom for Cain after the hour and Manset for Bradshaw after 75 minutes, especially if we are winning. Baxendale for Cook for some extra legs around the same time as Manset.

Head says we'l take a hammering and Smith out calls will only get louder, heart says Bradshaw is fit and we should have won by 4 or 5 goals on Tuesday night, and we will dig deep like vs Bristol City/PNE/Donny and win the game by a few goals.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:14 pm

If we don't in this one then I will be starting a Welsh out thread :mrgreen:

I'll go for a 1-0 win in front of 85.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:17 pm

chestersaddler wrote:If we don't in this one then I will be starting a Welsh out thread :mrgreen:

I'll go for a 1-0 win in front of 85.

Just get in the queue......... :D

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 pm

4-1 to us.

I hope you enjoy your cup final! Walsall FC is located rather handily just off junction 9 of the M6, the home end is now called the Tile Choice stand which I am led to believe gives off a certain odour on warm Saturdays. Home chants include the ever popular 'Ginger Mourinho', 'We're the best team in the world' and 'Duh duh der, sexy football' - please note that the average IQ of the supporters who chant these ditty's is probably at the same level as yours. There is a good chance that Walsall might win, draw or lose so please feel free to post your opinion on the message board after the game, I'm sure no one will burst into tears if you should post your usual baseless drivel.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Cully wrote:

4-1 to us.

I hope you enjoy your cup final! Walsall FC is located rather handily just off junction 9 of the M6, the home end is now called the Tile Choice stand which I am led to believe gives off a certain odour on warm Saturdays. Home chants include the ever popular 'Ginger Mourinho', 'We're the best team in the world' and 'Duh duh der, sexy football' - please note that the average IQ of the supporters who chant these ditty's is probably at the same level as yours. There is a good chance that Walsall might win, draw or lose so please feel free to post your opinion on the message board after the game, I'm sure no one will burst into tears if you should post your usual baseless drivel.

Thanks Cully - you're in my little black book with a star against your name for that diatribe.
It simply means that when I take over the club you won't be invited onto the board of directors.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I understand they even try and play a bit of football these days, something they haven't previously done since Arthur Cox managed them and Alan Birch [and Ernie Moss] was playing for them.

Moss has similar-to-Astle-dementia apparently.
Didn't he score a hatrick against us at our place in the 1980s?

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Chesterfield without a win in 4 so away win banker 1:2

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:Chesterfield without a win in 4 so away win banker 1:2

Given it's such a banker, you will be providing us with evidence of the mossive bet you will be putting on this 'banker'?

Otherwise you are surely giving up free money?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:41 am

Come on me babbies 3 much needed points today plz

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 am

Chesterfield 3-1 :(

Bradshaw with our goal, 4473 there today with 763 from Chesterfield

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

2-0 to the mighty saddlers....on another note I forgot we were at home today :oops: (disgraceful I know) at least I found out before I set out for Chesterfield :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am

tipton saddler wrote:2-0 to the mighty saddlers....on another note I forgot we were at home today :oops: (disgraceful I know) at least I found out before I set out for Chesterfield :lol:

I have a bad memory Aswel, must be a Tipton thing :lol:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:21 am

BIG game today.

For me personally this could be the game that turns the tide.

Need a good performance and a win to show the players are still behind the manager.

3-1 4253 (680)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:36 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:BIG game today.

For me personally this could be the game that turns the tide.

Need a good performance and a win to show the players are still behind the manager.

3-1 4253 (680)

Lets hope not

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Starting line-up against Chesterfield:

O'Donnell

Purkiss
Downing
Chambers
Taylor