Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (A) League One Tues 21 Oct, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Crawley Town (A) League One Tues 21 Oct, 7.45pm

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Ffs get a grip. This is Walsall, it makes me sick how much our fans moan. If you expect championship or success bog off and support someone else. Yes our form is poor, yes we lost again. Ffs,if you tjink these are and times you are either young or have short memory. See anyone who can be arsed at next away match.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Easiest thing in the world is moan. But didn't see Amy of main moaners at Crawley tonight.
Easy to moan from a distance without witnessing what you moaning about. I only comment on matches I been to. Moaners need to get a grip or start going to away matches.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:33 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:There is an almost untolerable level of bullshit posted on this website. The older I grow, the more I realise that I actually can't stand about 95% of our own fanbase, which is quite sad really. It's like some are urging us to fail. Not only is that weird, it kind of defies the object of the word 'support' in 'supporters'. I shall still give me pennies worth each and every matchday though, even if only to hand some sort of balance to some of the complete crud spouted.

Mid table we will finish this season, with or without Dean Smith managing us and FWIW Smith WON'T be sacked anytime soon, unless the margin of defeats gets considerably worse. Support it, or only increase the negativity throughout the club and help absolutely nobody.

It is absolutely fascinating that you post reams of endless "support" for the club, unless it is anything to do with Richard O'Donnell , where you seek to attack him for very error, actual or fabricated.
Your eagerness to blame him for conceding the goal against Crewe, when he was actually totally blameless, was an intolerable level of bullshit completely off the scale of irrationality.
Now that is what I would call weird.

Yes, which was an incorrect text message from someone in the ground at the time - who later corrected themselves and apologised having seen I'd posted a message on here.

O'Donnell is 'okay'. I give him criticism when I see fit and find this entire 'untouchable' thing he and Adam Chambers have going on to be dumbfounding. They are both very, very average. Some people are seemingly blinded by the fact that the Chambers brothers are lovely blokes, good professionals and work hard - but ultimately, Adam has been predominantly poor at his time at this club, bar a few short periods. O'Donnell was good last year, but during the early part of last season he dropped some worrying clangers and he has a habbit of being beaten from distance with questionable strikes. So far this season he has got worse, his kicking has got worse, his distribution at Oldham in particular resembled Jonny Brain, and he hasn't saved shots that a lot of keepers at this level would have. No vendetta, just deserved criticism towards, what is - a very average league one goalkeeper, not a lower league hero. He isn't fit to lace Walkers/Clayton Ince's boots. Just as a reference, I actually have to defend O'Donnell to the person I go to the games with, he has a far lesser opinion of him than me and has done for some time.

Just because I have these opinions doesn't mean I'd voice them at the game, or in public where it's most important. I don't jeer any players off, I don't boo players off. If anything, I provided virtual blind loyalty to Sawyers this season when everyone bar a man and his dog said he needed to be shot, despite having a real and obvious talent. There is a rather large difference between me commenting on players and what happens on the pitch and then completely condeming everything the manager does, regardless of whether it is good or bad to the point that you almost come into the matchday section on this website just to give jibes, make cocky jokes that nobody finds amusing, piss, moan and winge like that specific game is a battle of life or death and even lean towards the team losing - so you can moan more and not just that, but frankly, I've read so much cack on this website recently, I'm almost dissapointed to be associated with Walsall fans. It's the kind of stuff I see and condemn from other football clubs.

Smith brought Butler back and was told he'd wasted the budget because we had too many defenders. Whilst Butler is here he does perfectly well but our attack goes back to being predominantly miss, rather than hit. So Smith tells Butler he'd sooner use the budget on a midfielder or something to help us attack better (clear and obvious logic, which obviously worked, we had 30 shots tonight) and then Smith is clueless, because we will now be poor at the back and we already have central midfielders?! Nice one.

Oh, and 20 year old Reece Flanagan is the worst footballer to ever play for the club because after a grand total of 10 or so performances in the first team, during his first proper season playing league football - he hasn't turned into a ginger messi?! Jesus fudge christ. Some people really don't have the first shred of a clue.

:lol: :shock: That's what I call weird.

I will continue to support the club the way I want too, and continue to voice what I think is my right of opinion on this thread whether it pleases or dis-please people.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:27 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Easiest thing in the world is moan. But didn't see Amy of main moaners at Crawley tonight.
Easy to moan from a distance without witnessing what you moaning about. I only comment on matches I been to. Moaners need to get a grip or start going to away matches.

My point exactly.
The match day threads are largely a pathetic and insane moanfest until we get reports from attendees.
It's sickening seeing the moans rising to a crescendo as the Cully-driven idiots blast everything WFC.

belgiansaddler wrote:Moaners need to get a grip or start going to away matches.

I'd suggest somewhere else they could go.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 am

Whitters wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Easiest thing in the world is moan. But didn't see Amy of main moaners at Crawley tonight.

My point exactly.
The match day threads are largely a pathetic and insane moanfest until we get reports from attendees.
It's sickening seeing the moans rising to a crescendo as the Cully-driven idiots blast everything WFC.

4 wins in 32 games and your moaning that people are moaning :lol: :lol:

Why do you not make this forum only available to those that go to every game? Maybe get some kind of keycode or barcode from tickets sorted so when they sign in the you have to punch in the numbers? Absolutely pathetic.

When did we become such a poor excuse of a football club that 1 win every 8 games does not become acceptable? Or a previous run of 16 games without a win?

Smith signed these players and built this squad in his mind to win games and as he says every year 'we aim to win the league', they do not so he's failed.

As a previous posters suggested, get your head out of the sand and give it a good wobble.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 am

IHTC. wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Sadders wrote:There is an almost untolerable level of bullshit posted on this website. The older I grow, the more I realise that I actually can't stand about 95% of our own fanbase, which is quite sad really. It's like some are urging us to fail. Not only is that weird, it kind of defies the object of the word 'support' in 'supporters'. I shall still give me pennies worth each and every matchday though, even if only to hand some sort of balance to some of the complete crud spouted.

Mid table we will finish this season, with or without Dean Smith managing us and FWIW Smith WON'T be sacked anytime soon, unless the margin of defeats gets considerably worse. Support it, or only increase the negativity throughout the club and help absolutely nobody.

nothing like edging your bets is there?

what about hedging your bets? that's pretty close.

What's an H between friends? But Thankyou anyway.

frihends?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am

IHTC. wrote:
Whitters wrote:

My point exactly.

Why do you not make this forum only available to those that go to every game? Maybe get some kind of keycode or barcode from tickets sorted so when they sign in the you have to punch in the numbers? Absolutely pathetic.

When did we become such a poor excuse of a football club that 1 win every 8 games does not become acceptable? Or a previous run of 16 games without a win?

Smith signed these players and built this squad in his mind to win games and as he says every year 'we aim to win the league', they do not so he's failed.

As a previous posters suggested, get your head out of the sand and give it a good wobble.

I am pathetic? Take the advice of our jeff and go support or rovrum burnmuff or Luton. Our pathetic support is taking it's tole. Our natural level has become league 2. Get used to it. I might be pathetic but I will still go. Your constructive criticism makes me loff

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 am

I think when we get to the 'I'm a better supporter than you' and 'You shouldn't support this club because I say so' phases we are kind of getting off track from the main discussion points. Not much will be achieved down this road.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 am

When we get to the stage when 4 wins in 32 is greeted with silence from the fans I'd be very worried. A reaction good or bad is better than none at all as it demonstrates a connection with the club.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 am

Well I went and we totally dominated the whole game.
The defence marshalled their strikers, the midfield were active, pushing forward the whole game.
None of this pass it around the half way line and then back to O'Donnel garbage.
There were loads of balls into the box for our strikers to run onto.
No-one could put the ball into the net.
If we were still playing now we could not have scored.
If there goalie had played a blinder I could have understood it, but I can't remember him pulling
off great saves.
We did all the usual shots in practice at the start with great goals going in.
As soon as the game kicked off we did not have any idea where the goal was.
I cannot remember us ever having dominated a game so much without scoring.
It was really demoralising coming home after that.
No-one can criticize Smith's tactics last night. So many chances created, but without Bradshaw we don't have anyone to finish. :(
Last edited by saddla on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:33 am

As you are more of a fan than everybody else Belgian then you should be the one that purchases the barn door for Grimes to use at the training ground.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 am

saddla wrote:Well I went and we totally dominated the whole game.
The defence marshalled their strikers, the midfield were active, pushing forward the whole game.
None of this pass it around the half way line and then back to O'Donnel garbage.
There were loads of balls into the box for our strikers to run onto.
No-one could put the ball into the net.
If we were still playing now we could not have scored.
If there goalie had played a blinder I could have understood it, but I can't remember him pulling
off great saves.
We did all the usual shots in practice at the start with great goals going in.
As soon as the game kicked off we did not have any idea where the goal was.
I cannot remember us ever having dominated a game so much without scoring.
It was really demoralising coming home after that.

at wycombe away a coupla decades back we didn't give 'em a kick 1st half, but couldn't put the ball away. we were spectacular except for finishing. 2nd half we were by far the better side yet lost 3-0. sounds a bit like that.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 am

m&m wrote:As you are more of a fan than everybody else Belgian then you should be the one that purchases the barn door for Grimes to use at the training ground.

Sorry if that is the impression I gave, it certainly wasn't intended. I don't claim to be better fan than anyone else. I go when I can like most of us. Just bugs me that certain people don't post on here when we win but are directly on here when we lose. I will be happy to pay for barn door for grimes, unfortunately doubt it will change things. Surely the worst syncing since Dave syrett

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:As you are more of a fan than everybody else Belgian then you should be the one that purchases the barn door for Grimes to use at the training ground.

Sorry if that is the impression I gave, it certainly wasn't intended. I don't claim to be better fan than anyone else. I go when I can like most of us. Just bugs me that certain people don't post on here when we win but are directly on here when we lose. I will be happy to pay for barn door for grimes, unfortunately doubt it will change things. Surely the worst syncing since Dave syrett

Apologies for not being able to make the near 400 mile round trip to Crawley, and further apologies that this then defers my right to an opinion.

As I posted earlier in the thread - the stats are pretty damning.

It is not just last night's results, it's the cummulative effect of nearly 10 months of dire performances - many of us have been predicting this for a long time, and those chickens are coming home to roost.

I said 2 months ago that I'd spotted severe deficiencies in this team, and that Smith had until the end of October to sort it out - then I said after the Crewe game he needed 4 points from Crawley and Chesterfield to save his job.

You are very much in a minority Belg in thinking that Smith is the man to take us forward. It's time he went.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 am

Add a couple of hundred miles for my round trip from Wigan. Don't patronise me, Phil. I don't care about being in a minority because I honestly don't think sacking Smith will change things at this point. Dean Smith has done lots of good things for us, bringing kids through, trying to play football. But for me at least, I can see he has a vision, unlike the last few disasters of managers have had. He has gambled on certain players and lost. The signing of Ashley Grimes is a prime example and puts Smith in a bad light in terms of his judgement. Things are grim, but they have been grimmer. Our current form hurts me mate. But at the end of day, I just think people need to rein in their expectations.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 am

m&m wrote:I posted that he should have gone after Scunthorpe only for many to defend him.
surely even Mr Untouchable can't survive this.

4 wins in 32 games....

Are you for real Nottmsaddler?

Depends on what you mean by 'real'. If it means I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and agreeing 100% with you then I guess I'm not. But I'll take that any day over some of the 'real' I read on here.

I'm saying that a team that creates 30 chances in an away game can't be as bad as the hysteria would try and have you believe. And therefore, with a bit of luck and the forwards getting their act together, I can see us turning it around just as much with Smith as without. If we sack him, then its a lottery and with JB any number could come up, from messiah to absolute disaster and I'd take a team creating 30+ chances over kick and rush rubbish any day of the week.

That real enough for you?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:20 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Whitters wrote:

My point exactly.

I am pathetic? Take the advice of our jeff and go support or rovrum burnmuff or Luton. Our pathetic support is taking it's tole. Our natural level has become league 2. Get used to it. I might be pathetic but I will still go. Your constructive criticism makes me loff

Telling someone to not go and also not take my client with me in the process has just done the club out of the best part of £700 - £800, brilliant well done. Always fancied trying the pies at kiddy.

Like I said, pathetic.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am

m&m wrote:
yoda wrote:I hear there's a clause in the football league that says if you have a striker injured, you don't get relegated.

And another one which says that if you have over 30 shots at goal without scoring you are automatically awarded all 3 points.

Or, by 'real' do you mean I should write mind-numbingly boring lines like this instead?

No thanks

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 am

belgiansaddler wrote:add a couple of hundred miles for my round trip from wigan. Don't patronise me Phil. I don't care about being in a minority cos I honestly don't think sacking smith will change things at this point. Dean smith has done lots of good things for us, bringing kids through, trying to play football. But for me at least I can see he has a vision unlike the last few disasters of managers have had. He has gambled on certain players and lost. The signing of Ashley grimes is a prime example and puts smith in a bad light in terms of his judgement. Things are grim, but they have been grimmer. Our current form hurts me mate. But at end of day I just think people need to reign in their expectations.

Having stuck up for you in the other thread, just going to even things up.

Has Smith done anything good for us? Sure, it's not been that bad, we stayed up 2 seasons in a row, once when we looked buried. We had two top half finishes, not to be
sniffed at at all. He got mighty lucky with Brandy, and having Paterson was a bonus.

Whatever anyway, his terrible squad building has fudge us up good and proper. Don't ever want to hear the small budget or difficult circumstances excuse again, he's wasted so
much money on players he has no idea what he is going to do with, no clear plan. You say you see his vision, I don't think he knows what that is to be honest. The one position
that desperately needed addressing after losing Butler and he failed to sort this, then got him back for 1 month , which in his own words he said cost a fortune. Good management ?

Good managers at the lower levels keep it simple, have a small squad, sign players to do a specific job that is part of a well oiled engine. Smith makes it all as complicated as possible, signs players he has no idea what he is going to do with. If he is to stay, stop signing cack players for the sake of it, sign a proper center half to play next to downing, off load some cack, and start playing players to their strengths. Otherwise shut the door on the way out.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:31 am

nottmsaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:
yoda wrote:I hear there's a clause in the football league that says if you have a striker injured, you don't get relegated.

And another one which says that if you have over 30 shots at goal without scoring you are automatically awarded all 3 points.

Or, by 'real' do you mean I should write mind-numbingly boring lines like this instead?

No thanks

Sorry mate for real read deluded.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am

nottmsaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:

No thanks

Can't argue with that fella. I still believe in what he is trying to do. But faith is starting to demise

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 am

philthesaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Apologies for not being able to make the near 400 mile round trip to Crawley, and further apologies that this then defers my right to an opinion.

As I posted earlier in the thread - the stats are pretty damning.

It is not just last night's results, it's the cummulative effect of nearly 10 months of dire performances - many of us have been predicting this for a long time, and those chickens are coming home to roost.

I said 2 months ago that I'd spotted severe deficiencies in this team, and that Smith had until the end of October to sort it out - then I said after the Crewe game he needed 4 points from Crawley and Chesterfield to save his job.

You are very much in a minority Belg in thinking that Smith is the man to take us forward. It's time he went.

as el-p states on vital nerve by company flow "when sales control stats i place no faith in the majority". and belge wasn't criticizing those who didn't go, but those who only post when we struggle.

you said smith needed 4 points to save his job? so what? who in hell do you think you are?

i'll break it down for you and disabuse you of your delusions of grandeur: you're a message board nobody who can't spell cumulative.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Why on earth didn't Cook go across goal instead of prodding it? Didn't think it was a free kick either. Very good finish though.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Gotta say I'm shocked by Belge's posts. I totally admire (and any other fan) that can regularly be bothered to have time off work/pay through the nose/travel hundreds of miles to attend away games. However, many fans have made their decisions over Smith based on 4 wins out of the last 30odd, we don't need to have gone to Crawley to be allowed to hold and share those opinions. And to tell people to stop attending at all, well, I'm shocked.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:33 pm

yoda wrote:I think when we get to the 'I'm a better supporter than you' and 'You shouldn't support this club because I say so' phases we are kind of getting off track from the main discussion points. Not much will be achieved down this road.

Yep. Thats usually a sign of how cack things have become.

There was a buzz a few seasons ago of everyone pulling in one direction, thats gone now.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Exactly how I feel Latvian :cry:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Problem at a club likes ours is, you become a hero and leave, or you stay to become the villian.

No manager on earth would keep this football club as it currently is, challenging around the play-offs and rolling off brillant kids for sale year on year, so when you set the bar midway through your tenure, the chances are - eventually things will go cack. You can't overachieve for 5 years running, things will go wrong, your luck of finding gems on a shoestring runs out. It's fairly common in football, especially when your a small club in the division. See Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Tisdale down at Exeter. Mr Untouchable down at the Dons probably should have been sacked, but was kept by a good chairman, has been handed a whopper and is finally doing well.

Wonder what Smith would do if that was him?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Sadders wrote:Problem at a club likes ours is, you become a hero and leave, or you stay to become the villian.

No manager on earth would keep this football club as it currently is, challenging around the play-offs and rolling off brillant kids for sale year on year, so when you set the bar midway through your tenure, the chances are - eventually things will go eartha. You can't overachieve for 5 years running, things will go wrong, your luck of finding gems on a shoestring runs out. It's fairly common in football, especially when your a small club in the division. See Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Tisdale down at Exeter. Mr Untouchable down at the Dons probably should have been sacked, but was kept by a good chairman, has been handed a whopper and is finally doing well.

Wonder what Smith would do if that was him?

Although I don't agree with all of that, there is some truth in what you say there. It's just debate really as far as I am concerned, I'm not all that fussed if he stays or goes. Still be Walsall F.C, I'll still go whenever I can. I don't think you can have such a poor run of form and expect questions not to be asked, I think Smith has had more patience from the fans than any other manager I remember. Graydon got more stick than Smith has had.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 pm

tinned wrote:Gotta say I'm shocked by Belge's posts. I totally admire (and any other fan) that can regularly be bothered to have time off work/pay through the nose/travel hundreds of miles to attend away games. However, many fans have made their decisions over Smith based on 4 wins out of the last 30odd, we don't need to have gone to Crawley to be allowed to hold and share those opinions. And to tell people to stop attending at all, well, I'm shocked.

Maybe I put my point across badly Tinned. I would never criticise anyone who goes when they can like I do. I would also never say people don't have a right to voice their opinions. It just bugs me that some people seem to revel in it when we have a bad run and disappear when we win a couple. Me and you differ in sense that I still just about have faith in smith, eventhough patience is wearing thin. I respect your opinion same as I respect others who go when they can. Many of people on here have more right to moan than I do cos they go more than me. Living in wigan means I cannot go as often as I would like with distance and family commitments.

It's football. Emotions run high at times. That's why we love it. Sometimes people make posts in heat of moment that later when you look at them you think maybe I could of said that in a different way. I am happy to say I have had a couple of pms from people I slagged off and who slagged me off saying no hard feelings. That really cheered me up cos it was never my intention to slag anyone off in a personal way or to claim I have more right to say something than they do. Those who know me well know I am not like that. I do agree with whoever posted earlier about this seems to be one of those times when there are big divisions between posters on here and we need to pull in same direction. I completely disagree with mates who have certain views about bonser and smith etc. I have my own strong views on both. Doesn't mean I am right or they are wrong.

As WAW said, we are walsall, we will always be Walsall. That's all that matters. hope to "shock" you sometime again soon Tinned :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season