Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Sat 18 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Sat 18 Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:There`s a bit of a game going on at Notts Country who were 3 up now Crawley have pulled 2 back. Plus 4 bookings so far!

AM as you say utter pap the week after giving Smith another 12 months.

ATT: 4.127 (438 Crewe Alexandra)

Manset set to come on for Benning.

Have I missed something? ...............another twelve months of this garbage, please tell me your kidding..........................The bloke has the worst stats of any manager in recent history and he is rewarded for this with a twelve month contract extension? Are we living in the real world?

Sorry I read a note this morning that he had been given a 12 month extension that was dated 7th October now only realised it was dated 2013 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:There`s a bit of a game going on at Notts Country who were 3 up now Crawley have pulled 2 back. Plus 4 bookings so far!

AM as you say utter pap the week after giving Smith another 12 months.

ATT: 4.127 (438 Crewe Alexandra)

Manset set to come on for Benning.

Have I missed something? ...............another twelve months of this garbage, please tell me your kidding..........................The bloke has the worst stats of any manager in recent history and he is rewarded for this with a twelve month contract extension? Are we living in the real world?

Sorry I read a note this morning that he had been given a 12 month extension that was dated 7th October now only realised it was dated 2013 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks....it was all a dream after all!! :D :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Billy Clifford on for Reece Flanagan. After Marcus Haber comes on in place of Febian Brandy.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Think I would rather be watching Notts County 7 goals and 6 bookings.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:44 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Think I would rather be watching Notts County 7 goals and 6 bookings.

I bet some of those at the Bonks's's would rather be watching paint dry.......I think there will be some dreadful reports coming up......'Smithout' will by todays byword!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Fakkin ell :evil:

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:46 pm

What CACK 0-1 to the bottom team Rubbish.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Oh no. Just about to say it sounds dismal fare to listen to.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm

The untouchable 'Super Rich' crap again, how many goals is that he has looked bad for again this season - he won POTS last year though and he's a lad, so he's a tremendous club legend.

A massive Smith fan, but losing at home to Crewe is a sackable offence. Watch us beat Crawley on Tuesday :lol:

Shame Crewe decided to win against Coventry last week, right in time to play us.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Fakkin ell :evil:

Says it all......................relegation candidates....................no excuses...utter garbage!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:52 pm

Sadders wrote:The untouchable 'Super Rich' crap again, how many goals is that he has looked bad for again this season - he won POTS last year though and he's a lad, so he's a tremendous club legend.

A massive Smith fan, but losing at home to Crewe is a sackable offence. Watch us beat Crawley on Tuesday :lol:

Shame Crewe decided to win against Coventry last week, right in time to play us.

It was a miskick in front of goal by Sawyers according to Mick.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:53 pm

laughable

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Fair enough, just going by reports.
Last edited by Sadders on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm

There is something radically wrong at the club, and it needs sorting...NOW!
If that means losing Deano, by mutual consent, then so be it, otherwise we will be in the Fourth Division next season.....no doubt about it...the happy clappers will HAVE to admit we have reached 'rock bottom' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm

In the bottom 4...

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 pm

"We haven't had zip or zest" Mick K

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Cack result.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Cack result.

As good as that eh!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:There is something radically wrong at the club, and it needs sorting...NOW!
If that means losing Deano, by mutual consent, then so be it, otherwise we will be in the Fourth Division next season.....no doubt about it...the happy clappers will HAVE to admit we have reached 'rock bottom' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It's pretty dreadful, but we've lost 1-0. Not 4-1 like we did to Tranmere under Hutchings. Crewe beat Coventry last week, so they were probably up a level on confidence. We are just in the drop zone, it's October. Win at Crawley and we are sat mid table. It's not December, we don't need miracles, our crowds are about where they've always been. It can get plenty worse. No defending that result though - it's crap. But calls of rock bottom are relative to our success in recent years - nothing more or less.

Hartlepool are at rock bottom. The Sunderland fans are at rock bottom. Bristol Rovers are at rock bottom. Walsall FC are far, far from.

Still not in the Smith out camp, but some sort of remote consistency to the team selection and results would at least be a little more bearable. Why was Downing not playing? What impact did Purkiss have? Clifford can't play more than an hour so it doesn't surprise me that Flanagan starts - least Mantom is back in training. Benning can't play wide left though. I'd sooner play Bax or loan a winger in.

Smith will help himself by getting rid of Grimes, not playing Benning and getting Mantom/Bradshaw fit and firing. Once that happens, we will finish anywhere from 12th - 15th. Perfectly adequate for us.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Downing was Ill apparently.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Utter f***ing s***!

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Sadders wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:There is something radically wrong at the club, and it needs sorting...NOW!

It's pretty dreadful, but we've lost 1-0. Not 4-1 like we did to Tranmere under Hutchings. Crewe beat Coventry last week, so they were probably up a level on confidence. We are just in the drop zone, it's October. Win at Crawley and we are sat mid table. It's not December, we don't need miracles, our crowds are about where they've always been. It can get plenty worse. No defending that result though - it's crap. But calls of rock bottom are relative to our success in recent years - nothing more or less.

Hartlepool are at rock bottom. The Sunderland fans are at rock bottom. Bristol Rovers are at rock bottom. Walsall FC are far, far from.

Still not in the Smith out camp, but some sort of remote consistency to the team selection and results would at least be a little more bearable. Why was Downing not playing? What impact did Purkiss have? Clifford can't play more than an hour so it doesn't surprise me that Flanagan starts - least Mantom is back in training. Benning can't play wide left though. I'd sooner play Bax or loan a winger in.

Smith will help himself by getting rid of Grimes, not playing Benning and getting Mantom/Bradshaw fit and firing. Once that happens, we will finish anywhere from 12th - 15th. Perfectly adequate for us.

Take the blinkers off. Performances are getting worse. How much longer are people keep going to go on about, get Mantom back & we'll be alright we'll be mid table. There's no sign of him playing anytime soon. So we wait till we're half way through the season then sack smith? Then it'll take another month or so to find a new manager, who then has to evaluate the players he has before signing others. By then the transfer window is closed & we're up sh*t creek without a paddle

Smith to go ASAP. Or we'll be playing the likes of accrington & stevenage next season

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Well one thing's for sure. This board will be red hot for the rest of the weekend after that result.

We were dire. Gutless, spineless, pedestrian, lacklustre, lethargic, and lightweight.

A truly woeful afternoon began with the team selection. Yes, I understand that Smith wasn't happy last week, but it was almost like he'd gone back to picking numbers out of a hat again. In his defence, the back four picked itself, but Flanagan's not ready to be starting, Benning wouldn't know what quality was if it slapped him in the face, and as for Cook starting up front on his own - if ever there was a player who's not suited to playing with his back to goal, it's him.

The issue we've got is for the third season in a row, Smith's wasted a large portion of his budget on players he know aren't good enough. O'Connor, Grimes & Manset are all players Smith only plays when he absolutely has to and add diddly squat to the quality of the squad. Manset doesn't start even when Bradshaw's injured, which shows how little Smith rates him. It's quantity over quality again and it's holding us back.

The stuff about us playing the ball backwards winds me up because anyone with half a brain cell can see that it all stems from having nothing to hit up front, and no movement from the wide players coming inside. What are the likes of Adam Chambers supposed to do other than play the ball to another red shirt and hope they have something more to hit?

There were minor plus points in that Sawyers played ok and Purkiss was comfortably our best player both at the back and going forward (isn't that saying something in itself!) but after that we really are clutching at straws.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Atrocious performance. One of those days where we could have played for 10 hours and not scored.

Against bottom of the league, you've really gotta question the sanity of a manager who starts the game with 4 fullbacks on the pitch, and not a single striker.

Some may say this wasn't as bad as when we lost 4-1 to Tranmere under Hutchings - well I don't think Crewe could have scored 4 if they tried, that's how bad they were

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Atrocious performance. One of those days where we could have played for 10 hours and not scored.

Against bottom of the league, you've really gotta question the sanity of a manager who starts the game with 4 fullbacks on the pitch, and not a single striker.

Some may say this wasn't as bad as when we lost 4-1 to Tranmere under Hutchings - well I don't think Crewe could have scored 4 if they tried, that's how bad they were

Against a team that had already shipped in 30 goals this season and go on to keep their first clean sheet against us.

And people still support and back Smith :lol:

31 games - 4 wins, enough is enough.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:17 pm

I don't drink, never will, but that performance made me want to drink enough whiskey for me to black out multiple times.

I'm not Smith out at the moment, but to be honest right now I ain't Smith in either, emotions of anger and boredom still raw.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:23 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Well one thing's for sure. This board will be red hot for the rest of the weekend after that result.

We were dire. Gutless, spineless, pedestrian, lacklustre, lethargic, and lightweight.

A truly woeful afternoon began with the team selection. Yes, I understand that Smith wasn't happy last week, but it was almost like he'd gone back to picking numbers out of a hat again. In his defence, the back four picked itself, but Flanagan's not ready to be starting, Benning wouldn't know what quality was if it slapped him in the face, and as for Cook starting up front on his own - if ever there was a player who's not suited to playing with his back to goal, it's him.

The issue we've got is for the third season in a row, Smith's wasted a large portion of his budget on players he know aren't good enough. O'Connor, Grimes & Manset are all players Smith only plays when he absolutely has to and add diddly squat to the quality of the squad. Manset doesn't start even when Bradshaw's injured, which shows how little Smith rates him. It's quantity over quality again and it's holding us back.

The stuff about us playing the ball backwards winds me up because anyone with half a brain cell can see that it all stems from having nothing to hit up front, and no movement from the wide players coming inside. What are the likes of Adam Chambers supposed to do other than play the ball to another red shirt and hope they have something more to hit?

There were minor plus points in that Sawyers played ok and Purkiss was comfortably our best player both at the back and going forward (isn't that saying something in itself!) but after that we really are clutching at straws.

Man set isn't fit having missed pre-season, he was blowing out his arse after 5 mins so the bloke would need the St Johns Ambulance at half time if he was to start!

I can understand your point about playing the ball backwards to a degree but when we put Manset on we still did the same. Just as the ref blew for full time we had Manset and Butler up front and we still managed to fanny about with it just inside our own half!

The way we are going at the moment we are a 2 man team in Mantom and Bradshaw! Nothing like a bit of pressure on those boys shoulders, I hope they are broad enough to cope.

It is these defeats that are the most dangerous as we haven't got tanked so they go under the radar. Enough 1 - 0 losses though ends up in the same outcome as losing every game 5 - 0 and that is relegation. A big week ahead for Smith. Defeats on Tuesday and Saturday and I can see the calls for his head coming from the stands.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Let's get one thing clear anyone who went today could clearly see if we played till you midnight we wouldn't score dean smiths time is up people can ramble on about who would do a better job it's getting to the point we're you could pick someone off the street and they would do better our win ratio under him will be the worst in Europe soon.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Yet another dreadful performance against a team that looked identical to us and fully deserved their win, same tactics ie 1 striker running around a bit, the rest pissing about with the ball until they lose it, absolute garbage again from SMITHOUT. Anyone with half a brain can see that the constant back passing and pissing about is nothing to do with the players it's all to do with SMITHOUT'S formations and instructions. Only he decides to play one upfront in every game and I have no idea why the thickard thinks that this is a world beating tactic. I'm so fed up with the crap I see week in week out from SMITHOUT's teams, home or away it's just the same, no attacking play, no direction, pointless passing and aimless management from SMITHOUT. get rid of him, he's garbage.

There can't be anybody with a brain, who having witnessed the past three seasons under SMITHOUT both home and away, that think SMITHOUT should continue as manager. :D

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Smith blaming j chambers coming off to change his boots for us losing control of the game :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season