Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One 11 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic (A) League One 11 Oct, 3pm

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Having disposed of Rochdale perhaps unexpectedly on Tuesday, we stay in Lancashire for the League One game at Boundary Park. The Latics sit 12th in the table on 15 points, and their form is very similar to ours in that we both hold the current record for the most drawn games (6 out of 11). They're on an unbeaten run of 7 League games, having lost at Preston on August 23rd, and manager Lee Johnson is on record as saying that "Walsall are a good side, it's going to be difficult". To help him in his preparation he's signed a familiar face on a 3-month loan deal - 31-year old Jabo Ibehre from Colchester United. Another loan striker, Conor Wilkinson, will be returning to his parent club Bolton after the game on Saturday. Their leading scorer is Jonathan Forte, with 7 goals to his name this season. Oldham's most recent games:

13 Sep Gillingham (H) Drew 0-0
16 Sep Swindon Town (A) Drew 2-2
20 Sep Notts County (A) Drew 0-0
27 Sep Scunthorpe United (H) Won 3-2
4 Oct Peterborough United (A) Drew 2-2
7 Oct Barnsley (H) F.L.Trophy (H) Drew 2-2 (won 4-2 on penalties)

I suppose the strength of our squad was illustrated on Tuesday night when we managed to win at Rochdale without the services of Bradshaw and Mantom (injured), Sawyers (international call-up), and Butler (cup-tied). Nevertheless I would be somewhat reassured to see at least Butler back, if only to cope with either Forte or Ibehre. One Walsall player who has already gone to Lancashire is Amadou Bakayoko, but he's not heading for Oldham as he's been loaned out to Southport for a month to get some games under his belt.

Following another thread elsewhere, I feel we have turned something of a corner, and as such I'll go for a 0-2 win with Baxendale and a rejuvenated Manset on target for us.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One 11 Oct, 3pm

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:35 pm

No, Sawyers, no Bradshaw and no Mantom.

Arguably our 3 best and most promising players, and I am still quieting confident of doing well here. We've got some weird thing called squad depth that I have never heard of before this season.

For me.

O'Donnell
Purkiss Downing Butler Taylor
Cook Clifford Chambers Forde
Baxo
Manset

Manset occupying centre halves gives Baxo more space to do what he does best and run with the ball, Forde also gets a dangerous crossing target in Manset. Cook has the pace to run beyond their defence and cause problems that way.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Jabo plays for Oldham now, missed him signing for them?

They're 8 unbeaten so tough game, would be happy with a point.

1-1.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Don't want people heading into this game thinking it's Oldham, who have been 15th in league one forever. They are slightly different this time around and have been kind of following our way of thinking in the last 18 months. Young manager, who wants a mix of youth and experience, trying to play passing football but not quite 100% getting it right. They sold Johnson Clarke-Harris in the summer and have invested it back in the side. Jonathon Forte, Dom Poleon, Danny Philliskirk and now Jabo - that's a decent forward line. Our defence will have to be on form to keep them away from the goal. Unbeaten in 8 and Johnson is being nominated for MOTM.

We have also only lost 1 in 6, the strange hammering at Rochdale. We will be missing Sawyers, Bradshaw and Mantom - 3 of our 4 best players so we may struggle. It says it all though about where we are now, compared to 4 years ago that we can miss those players and I'm still fairly confident that our team produce a good result from the game. Imagine taking Cuvelier, Butler and Macken out 3 or 4 years ago - our team would have looked like a non league outfit. This time it looks threatening enough still and our bench won't literally be school kids. Whether you like Smith or aren't bothered, we are now a club 'at the next level' when you compare to years back.

My XI would be.

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
Butler
Taylor

Baxendale
Clifford
Chambers
Forde

Manset
Cook

Smith will stick with O'Connor at right back and probably play Flanagan in midfield for an hour. I wouldn't play Purkiss regardless of midweek. JPT game sounded like it was played at friendly pace, and not only that - it's his first full 90 minutes for yonks. He may be knackered or not up to speed fitness wise to play a couple of games in 4 days.

252 Saddlers.
Settle for a point, have a feeling we could win or lose the game though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Draw

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 am

I'm taking advantage of the Lancashire in-laws & heading up the M6 for this one.

A gritty 1-1, Forde for us.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Sadders wrote:Don't want people heading into this game thinking it's Oldham, who have been 15th in league one forever. They are slightly different this time around and have been kind of following our way of thinking in the last 18 months. Young manager, who wants a mix of youth and experience, trying to play passing football but not quite 100% getting it right. They sold Johnson Clarke-Harris in the summer and have invested it back in the side. Jonathon Forte, Dom Poleon, Danny Philliskirk and now Jabo - that's a decent forward line. Our defence will have to be on form to keep them away from the goal. Unbeaten in 8 and Johnson is being nominated for MOTM.

We have also only lost 1 in 6, the strange hammering at Rochdale. We will be missing Sawyers, Bradshaw and Mantom - 3 of our 4 best players so we may struggle. It says it all though about where we are now, compared to 4 years ago that we can miss those players and I'm still fairly confident that our team produce a good result from the game. Imagine taking Cuvelier, Butler and Macken out 3 or 4 years ago - our team would have looked like a non league outfit. This time it looks threatening enough still and our bench won't literally be school kids. Whether you like Smith or aren't bothered, we are now a club 'at the next level' when you compare to years back.

My XI would be.

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
Butler
Taylor

Baxendale
Clifford
Chambers
Forde

Manset
Cook

Smith will stick with O'Connor at right back and probably play Flanagan in midfield for an hour. I wouldn't play Purkiss regardless of midweek.[b] JPT game sounded like it was played at friendly pace, and not only that - it's his first full 90 minutes for yonks. [/b]He may be knackered or not up to speed fitness wise to play a couple of games in 4 days.

252 Saddlers.

Would have to disagree on this point, Rochdale were furious to have lost this one after previously hammered us like a non league side! The game was fast and furious, with a few 'tasty' tackles going in......it certainly was not 'friendly'.
Purkiss HAS to retain his place, he was a rock, put his body 'in the line of fire' on numerous occasions, and made very impressive through balls to midfield and attack, somewhat reminded me of their No.7 who ran us ragged in our earlier 'mauling'.
Oldham will be a severe test indeed, would love to come away with a point, but I somehow doubt it, they are playing well and will be too strong for us with our missing major squad members.
Nevertheless I will be there hoping for a good result.
UTS.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:56 pm

We'll play decent but lose 2-1, in front of 4,239, including 330 of us.

..and Baxendale gets back on the scoresheet for us.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:09 pm

0-0 draw

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Forte is a doubt with injury so Jabo might start, lad call Wilkinson has been getting rave reviews for them. They hardly have any defenders fit either.

This is the sort of game where Bax should be played just off the main striker with the players missing. Really don't want to see Grimes shoe-horned on the left again either. If Cook can manage an hour, start him please. If he can't I have a feeling Benning will start to negate their attacking threat.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I shall be in attendance and will wear my new sweater shirt/hoody in honour of my youth. If we win I will not wash it until we lose or resign Alan Buckley.
My prediction is a glorious win with the French bloke scoring twice and a rather large pie being eaten at halftime by someone who doesn't need the calories.

Hopefully Baxendale will miss the coach because he's too small and over rated.

SWS1

Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 am

Sadders wrote:Don't want people heading into this game thinking it's Oldham, who have been 15th in league one forever. They are slightly different this time around and have been kind of following our way of thinking in the last 18 months. Young manager, who wants a mix of youth and experience, trying to play passing football but not quite 100% getting it right. They sold Johnson Clarke-Harris in the summer and have invested it back in the side. Jonathon Forte, Dom Poleon, Danny Philliskirk and now Jabo - that's a decent forward line. Our defence will have to be on form to keep them away from the goal. Unbeaten in 8 and Johnson is being nominated for MOTM.

My XI would be.

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
Butler
Taylor

Baxendale
Clifford
Chambers
Forde

Manset
Cook

Smith will stick with O'Connor at right back and probably play Flanagan in midfield for an hour. I wouldn't play Purkiss regardless of midweek. JPT game sounded like it was played at friendly pace, and not only that - it's his first full 90 minutes for yonks. He may be knackered or not up to speed fitness wise to play a couple of games in 4 days.

252 Saddlers.

That's what I call precise forecasting: we could win or lose the game - but we might draw! :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:11 am

Can't make it after all....gutted...and Belgian was giving me a lift as well...bugga.....
Please give 'em an almighty shout for me!
UTS.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:55 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Can't make it after all....gutted...and Belgian was giving me a lift as well...bugga.....
UTS.

I'm quite relieved tbh. A bloke your age could easily catch pneumonia at Boundary Park :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Pre-match odds.........

Oldham to win.......13/10 favourites
The draw.............. 9/4
Walsall to win....... 11/5

A mere hairsbreadth between us and the draw :?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Starting line-up against Oldham Athletic:

O'Donnell

O'Connor
Downing
Butler
Benning

Forde
Chambers
Clifford
Baxendale

Grimes
Cook

Substitutes: Purkiss, McGillivray, Chambers, Flanagan, Morris, Henry, Manset.

(Jabo Ibehre on the bench for Oldham, as is Jonathan Forte their top scorer)

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:43 pm

So much for Manset's good work during the week...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Early goals elsewhere..... Crawley 1 Peterborough 0 (1 min, McLeod)

Bristol City 1 Chesterfield 0 (o.g., 8 min)

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:11 pm

1-0 Cook! :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:13 pm

We're COOKing...... !!!!!!!! 0-1, 9 min :D :D :D (13th place in the League, as things stand)

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Cook nearly scores twice more with two close shots from distance :shock: :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Blimey 2 games running I have joined late to be welcomed by being in front. Keep it up lads. :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Score one more and we go above Oldham on goal diff., into the top half of the table.......... :shock:

Pressure from Oldham - 3 corners in quick succession.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:20 pm

According to Wm its 1-0 to Port Vale, with Tom Pope scoring for Yeovil :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Our usual style of possession play doesn't seem to be coming off today - after 22 minutes the BBC sources have Oldham with 58% possession, Walsall 42%.

Don't tell me we're sitting back on an early lead. :evil:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:28 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Can't make it after all....gutted...and Belgian was giving me a lift as well...bugga.....
UTS.

I'm quite relieved tbh. A bloke your age could easily catch pneumonia at Boundary Park :wink:

Boundary Park HAS to be the coldest place on earth, anyone remember that awful Boxing Day game, when it was about -5/6 degrees, and it showed, with a boring 0-0 draw, I've never been as cold, my Bovril froze over! :) :)

1-0 up Eh...Looks as if Cook wants to make amends for that gentle pass to their goalie when he was put clean through on Tuesday night!!

Keep 'em out me babbies....UTS

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Brandy scores for Crewe. Two miracles in one sentence :D .

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Goal at Gresty Road........... Crewe Alex 1 Coventry City 0 (25 min............ scorer F. Brandy, whoever that is!!!)

Meanwhile, Oldham now have their 5th corner..............

EDIT.... now 1-1 (Wilkinson)

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:32 pm

1-1 been pretty anonymous all game.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:32 pm

1-1 Wilkinson for them :(

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season