Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One 11 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One 11 Oct, 3pm

Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Cook took his goal very well, as I said previously Cook, Sawyers and Bradshaw as a front trio excites me, it will unsettle a lot of defences in this division.

I thought the first Oldham goal came from needlessly losing possesion on the halfway line (thought it was a free kick) as at the time I was listening in to a bloke infront of me (who took half an hour to eat his pie) asking the row infront "where Sawyers was" and then asking "why he's playing in the Carribean when he was born in England." :lol: :roll: Just looked up to seeing O'Connor getting skinned before the goal, no surprise there.

The second was a good strike (if an awful clearence by Downing on second viewing). Harsh to blame O'Donnell. Thought Mike Jones was Oldham's best player yesterday by a distance. Like Gary Jones, he seems like one of these midfield generals who floats around Northern clubs. Good player.

Dominic Poleon on the other hand is a twerp who seems to have a massive chip on both shoulders, he'll be playing non league in a few years.

Edit:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/46008-mike-jones/

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:52 pm

I've always respected the views of the Smith Out gang, but to suddenly call for his head again after this game is a bit silly. Yes it was a poor performance, but we lost 2-1 to a side who are now unbeaten in ten and we had four key players missing.

If we fail to beat Crewe I will be worried, however.

This should be the team in my opinion:

O'donnel

Taylor (if fit) Butler Downing Chambers

Chambers Clifford (he's not been great when starting, but would still take him over Flanagan, who needs to be blooded slowly)

Forde Sawyers Cook

Bradshaw if fit, Manset if not.

If Grimes starts again I'll cry.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:39 am

Really disappointing Saturday, the result flattered us. For 80 minutes we were shocking. I am not sure what the tactical plan was but it clearly didn't work. Cook took his goal well and after that it was like the Alamo for the rest of the first half. They completely over ran us and we got deeper and deeper leaving Cook more and more isolated. As a result every time we hoofed it clear it came straight back. We offered absolutely nothing going forward. Equaliser was inevitable.

2nd half was not much better except we split out "good" 5 minutes into 2 spells of 2 and half minutes each. Again the winner was inevitable. If O'Donnel hadn't made a few good saves and middle of defence hadn't played well (under constant pressure) then it would have been like Rochdale league match. Subs made little impact. Manset threw his arms up in the air a couple of times complaining at team mates but once again looked lazy, unable to trap a bag of cement and unable to make or see intelligent runs that would have caused their defence problems and given our (admittedly poor on the day) midfield something viable to pass to. He also managed to get caught offside lord knows how many times again. He even managed to accomplish this when standing alone on the left wing looking across the whole width of the pitch, this bloke must have been born offside :lol: As for his chance in injury time, well the less said the better.

Of the rest, both fullbacks were dodgy, Forde and Grimes were totally non-existent (Grimes..... why?????), Baxendale was ineffective (another opportunity missed to play him in the number 10 all game with sawyers being away), Clifford didn't pass to a Walsall player all day and seems to have gone backwards since his promising start, confidence I assume? Cook is not a lone striker but it didn't take a genius to work that out, took his goal well, hopefully benefit from playing the full 90 mins. Flanagan needs taking out of firing line.

Yes Mantom, Sawyers, Bradshaw and Chambers would have made a difference. But that was still an utterly garbage performance.
Last edited by belgiansaddler on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 am

I'm not in the Smith out gang, but it's not just 4 wins out of 27 or something that worries me.
It's how many players who were good now look so poor, so regularly.

They clearly had a 'bit of a chat' after the first Rochdale game and appeared to have turned the corner.
What's happened now?

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

Not panicking yet. Yes we're equal points with 21st but we're only 2 wins off play-offs! 6 draws out of 12 league games, too. How easily they can start turning into wins when players return from injury or hit a vein of form.

In Smithout we trust. At least until Christmas! UTS

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:26 pm

After the mini good run we've just had I'm not letting this single defeat put me back in the Smith Out camp just yet. I'm waiting to see how the next 2 or 3 games pan out first. We seem to have runs of bad and then good results (with the bad lasting longer than the good). If this extends into another run of 5, 6 or 7 without a win then I will finally take out life membership of the Smith Out club.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Lose Saturday to crewe & it has to be time for smith to go. We'll be nearly a 3rd into the season & in a relegation battle.

People who keep saying we're only 6 points off the play offs are deluded. It's s relegation battle this season, end of. The squads not good enough.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Off the back of impressive performances against teams expected to be at the top of the league we contrive to put in a bit of a cack performance against someone "at our level".

Its pretty much been this way all my life, the only time it hasn't we got promoted.

Needs to win Saturday to brush this off.

Seems to be a recurring theme of gifting the ball to the opposition which they then blast into the goal.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:47 pm

latviancheese wrote:Off the back of impressive performances against teams expected to be at the top of the league we contrive to put in a bit of a eartha performance against someone "at our level".

Its pretty much been this way all my life, the only time it hasn't we got promoted.

Seems to be a recurring theme of gifting the ball to the opposition which they then blast into the goal.

A voice of reason. We seem to be getting into habit of playing well for couple of games then whole of uts says we turned corner but then we collapse. My views are obviously based on when I see us play. Unfortunately last two matches I seen have been Dale away in league and Oldham last week. We were shocking both times. Still not going to call for deans head. He is trying to implement his philosophy on a pittance of a budget. His philosophy and tactics obviously fail sometimes. Young team full of rejects, only option for us. Walsall have always punched above our weight but the reality is we have pathetic support for a town our size. Easy to criticise smith but could any smith haters actually do anything better? Easy to criticise.

I need to go more often to home matches but due to where I live it's hard and I go to loads more away matches. Criticise me all you want for that. I move heaven and earth to go to Walsall matches when I can. See you at Crawley

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Off the back of impressive performances against teams expected to be at the top of the league we contrive to put in a bit of a eartha performance against someone "at our level".

A voice of reason. We seem to be getting into habit of playing well for couple of games then whole of uts says we turned corner but then we collapse. My views are obviously based on when I see us play. Unfortunately last two matches I seen have been Dale away in league and Oldham last week. We were shocking both times. Still not going to call for deans head. He is trying to implement his philosophy on a pittance of a budget. His philosophy and tactics obviously fail sometimes. Young team full of rejects, only option for us. Walsall have always punched above our weight but the reality is we have pathetic support for a town our size. Easy to criticise smith but could any smith haters actually do anything better? Easy to criticise.

I need to go more often to home matches but due to where I live it's hard and I go to loads more away matches. Criticise me all you want for that. I move heaven and earth to go to Walsall matches when I can. See you at Crawley

With reasoned points like that, please attend more games and sit near me.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:06 am

kshammer wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Belgian is one VERY intelligent fella, I would hope to say that I know him well enough to be able to make that point.......He has hit the nail firmly on the head, we can all grumble and protest as much as we like, but with home gates of 3,500 or less, how can ANY manager compete in the open 'player market' when compared to the likes of Brizzle City/Coventry/Swindon/Bradford etc who regularly command gates in the mid teens of thousands.
Residents of Walsall Borough and it's surrounding areas...hang your head in shame! How many UTS'ers are exiles like me and Belg? I would say a good third of all posts.
I realise supporting gurrole Worsul is not considered to be the done thing, it's far easier to hang on the coat tails of our surrounding big brothers, I also realise that our teams performances over the past few years have not exactly set the town alight, but come on...3,500?
What does amaze me is how in the event of a Big club fixture (which lets face it, has not been common over the last few years) up to 15/20,000 are suddenly clamouring for tickets, and the likes of me and Belg probably have to buy our tickets on the black market, yet once the game is over, it's back to 3,500! Really annoys me.
Rant over......UTS for ever

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
kshammer wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

Belgian is one VERY intelligent fella, I would hope to say that I know him well enough to be able to make that point.......He has hit the nail firmly on the head, we can all grumble and protest as much as we like, but with home gates of 3,500 or less, how can ANY manager compete in the open 'player market' when compared to the likes of Brizzle City/Coventry/Swindon/Bradford etc who regularly command gates in the mid teens of thousands.
Residents of Walsall Borough and it's surrounding areas...hang your head in shame! How many UTS'ers are exiles like me and Belg? I would say a good third of all posts.
I realise supporting gurrole Worsul is not considered to be the done thing, it's far easier to hang on the coat tails of our surrounding big brothers, I also realise that our teams performances over the past few years have not exactly set the town alight, but come on...3,500?
What does amaze me is how in the event of a Big club fixture (which lets face it, has not been common over the last few years) up to 15/20,000 are suddenly clamouring for tickets, and the likes of me and Belg probably have to buy our tickets on the black market, yet once the game is over, it's back to 3,500! Really annoys me.
Rant over......UTS for ever

It just goes t show what utter crap it was when the club stated that our off the field commercial ventures would help us compete with clubs that enjoy much higher attendances than our own!

SWS1

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:05 pm

With a full squad to choose from, we could compete at this level. How many teams could win consistently with their three or four best players missing? Admittedly we don't really have strength in depth, but a bit of good fortune on the injury front would help and the internationals will soon be back. Let's see what we can do then.
UTS

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season