Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (H) League One, Sat 4th October 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol City (H) League One, Sat 4th October 3.00pm

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:22 am

Flanagan shouldn't start while Clifford and maybe Kinsella are available,his awful pass cost us the goal.He has potential but I don't think he is ready yet.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:00 am

Got to give credit to Smith for his in game management yesterday. The timing of the substitutions, bar Bradshaw's were spit on. Clifford gave us that drive and positivity that we needed at just the right time. Manset coming on when he did really caused some problems too, gave their defenders something different to think about.

I noticed we seemed to switch to a proper 4-3-3 before the goal too, smart move in my opinion. Against Donny it was the same, Smiths changes affected us positively rather than making them for the sake of it. Maybe he's turned a bit of a corner?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 am

Sawyers was a class above anyone else on the pitch yesterday

Great goal and to some extent you have to give some credit to Neil cutler. He gets the forwards to practice shooting before the game and I notice sawyers rarely misses finding the top corner.

Mind you Manset's practice shots rarely have power to reach the goal and you must be mad to sit at the back of block1 when it's Clifford's turn! I am sure cutler shouts heads before Clifford actually hits it.

I would probably bring in James chambers for downing next to butler and purkiss for o Connor

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 am

Super goal from Sawyers! Just seen it on the Football League Show courtesy of my new Filmon app on my Android tablet. (A great app if you're overseas - you don't even have to pretend you're in the UK.)

So good they showed it twice...

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:19 am

saddler_nic wrote:Got to give credit to Smith for his in game management yesterday. The timing of the substitutions, bar Bradshaw's were spit on. Clifford gave us that drive and positivity that we needed at just the right time. Manset coming on when he did really caused some problems too, gave their defenders something different to think about.

I noticed we seemed to switch to a proper 4-3-3 before the goal too, smart move in my opinion. Against Donny it was the same, Smiths changes affected us positively rather than making them for the sake of it. Maybe he's turned a bit of a corner?

Good shout.

I'm not sure Cook can lead the line by himself in the same way Bradshaw can. He looked a different player once Mansett came on with his physical presence.

If Bradshaw is out next week and with Sawyers missing for sure, I'd go 442 next week and play the slightly more direct version of "the philosophy". Get some ball in the box and mix it up a bit. Whilst the last bit of the goal yesterday was sexy, the genesis was a long diagonal for Mansett to have a muscle-off with a defender. Also, it is within the laws of the game that you can put free-kicks directly into the opposition penalty area and it is not mandatory to play a 10 yard ball sideways or backwards. Not only for their goal but on other occasions a free-kick to us turned into an advantage to them very quickly.

Not suggesting we revert to hoofing it, just mixing it up a bit. Ugly goals count the same as the sexy ones and with having less sexual options next week (I fear a Grimes re-selection), let's give ourselves the chance of winning ugly away from home.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 am

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Fair play - I hadn't noticed the work that Manset put into the build-up for the goal. Taking the whole move into account, that goal was poetry.....pure poetry!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Got to love how R'OD runs half the length of the pitch to celebrate with Sawyers

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:01 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Flanagan shouldn't start while Clifford and maybe Kinsella are available,his awful pass cost us the goal.He has potential but I don't think he is ready yet.

Clifford's only contracted until the end of the year so I understand, so long term he doesn't feature. Flanagan needs game time to improve in much the same way as Deeney, Grigg, and Patterson did.

He will make the odd 'cock-up' but he needs to learn in front of a crowd which, as we often see, can be hostile.

It will be interesting to see how the 'Butler scenario' unfolds. Budget wise, Smith must be near to or over it by now - this is the biggest squad I can recall for a long time.

Sawyers got 'stuck in' yesterday which made a difference and I thought, along with Forde, that he was a contender for MoM before his goal sealed it.

Contrary to others, I thought Baxendale did Ok.

I also believe that part of the teams revival is a consistant team selection. This will be disrupted by Sawyers international call up and the possibility that Bradshaw is fudge. So I wouldn't change anything else.

Where's Sallian by the way?

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:06 pm

I can totally understand why Smith is starting Flanagan instead of Clifford. In addition to the above, Cliffords best performances have come from the bench as an impact sub. He's been less influential in the games he's started.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:25 pm

UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:21 am

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season