Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (H) League One, Sat 4th October 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Bristol City (H) League One, Sat 4th October 3.00pm

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Good result and performance by sounds of it. looking forward to seeing goals sounds like it was bostin!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Fair result

Good performance with the exception of baxendale who offered little.

Not that impressed by bristol City, they didn't look that good, and only scored thanks to a misplaced pass by Flanagan and a missed headed by Downing, who continues to look iffy.

OConnor was once again solid. However, forde was my MOM, developing in to a proper winger.

Bradshaw went off injured after 30mins, and smith brought cook on, strange decision considering he has only just come back to fitness and the lone forward role wouldn't be the role I imagine cook will be playing when he is fit, even more strange when he had manset on the bench.

The equaliser was a terrific goal, a dummied one-two (like Andy cole and Dwight Yorke used to do) followed by a beautifully placed missile in to the top corner by Sawyers, we'll worth seeing again.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Fair result

Not that impressed by bristol City, they didn't look that good, and only scored thanks to a misplaced pass by Flanagan and a missed headed by Downing, who continues to look iffy.

OConnor was once again solid. However, forde was my MOM, developing in to a proper winger.

Bradshaw went off injured after 30mins, and smith brought cook on, strange decision considering he has only just come back to fitness and the lone forward role wouldn't be the role I imagine cook will be playing when he is fit, even more strange when he had manset on the bench.

The equaliser was a terrific goal, a dummied one-two (like Andy cole and Dwight Yorke used to do) followed by a beautifully placed missile in to the top corner by Sawyers, we'll worth seeing again.

Almost exactly what i said earlier in the thread, but once again got shot down for it. :roll:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Cook was anonymous when he came on, but grew into the game and was excellent for the majority of the second half. He set up Sawyers' goal and put a delightful ball across the area that I am sure Bradshaw would of tapped in to win the game.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Just seen the Sawyers goal on Twitter. My word.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Fair result

Good summing up Phil and I agree with all of that, in particular your comments re Forde, that was probably his most effective game so far, very confident with the ball and constantly making himself available.
I just wish we could be a little more attack minded and move the ball quickly but I accept that's not Smithout's way.

Oh and I like Mansett..............you can't beat a big, skilful, ugly striker :D

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Good performance, Bristol City are a good team. O'Conner is good going forward, defensively extremely poor. people who are saying he had a good game can you watch the Bristol City goal and tell me who else was suppose to mark the assisting player please.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 pm

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm still undecided on O'Conner. Had his best game against Colchester at centre half. If Butler's loan doesn't get extended, wouldn't mind him given an extended run there.

Got to agree with what everyone else has said. Strange to see Cook as the loan striker, far more effective when moved out wide. With him
on one side and Forde on the other, we'll look we'll balanced.

Downings form continues to puzzle me. Looked back to his best last week then seems to have taken a step back again this week

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Poor first half. Very sloppy at times. Flannagan was rubbish.

The introduction of Clifford was the difference. He drove us forward and was superb. It brought Forde into the game and he was oustanding for the last half an hour.

Sawyers is class. Ran the show. His goal was something else. Fantastic team goal too

Could have and should have won it. Battered them in that 2nd half.

A very good point though

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Thought we were our own worst enemies first half - poor play and defending for their goal and numerous times giving possession away cheaply. Bristol worked hard, closing down well, but showed little else to impress.

Second half we run the show and always looked like we could get back into it. They may have been top but they went in at the end happy with a draw, there's no doubt about that. Our goal was top drawer and wouldn't have looked out of place in any game. The pass, dummy, lay off and sublime curled finish was as good as you'll see.

Thought Flanagan looked nervous today and had a mare (as did Downing at times) - Clifford's introduction was massive and added drive into the midfield. Forde continues to improve (he is a proper wide man), Bax was quiet and Sawyers continues to show that when confident, he's a class above. I agree on the comments that Manset should have come on for Bradshaw and Cook looks like a wide man to me - he'll end up there when Bradshaw is fit.

Great point though and I actually think we'd have won if Bradshaw had stayed on - there was the odd scrap he'd have fed on.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Bristol calling us Brummies on their match thread...

WE AYE fudge BRUMMIES :evil:

bigste

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:27 pm

A good point, but I thought we could have nicked it. Wasn't overly impressed with Bristol to be honest.
Flanagan was poor again, think its time to drop him and get Clifford in the starting 11. When he came on he offered us much more attacking wise than Flanagan. Forde had another good game, growing in conference. Baxo didn't do much, other than keep brushing his fringe over every 2 mins !! Get ya hair cut. Chambers was solid, and got some good tackles in. Downing was a bit ropey in parts, a stark contrast from last week. Great tackle from Cook on the linesman !! Onwards and upwards !!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Excellent point that.

Bristol City are pretty much unbeatable at the minute. What was more impressive is only conceding 1 goal to them as they've been scoring hatfuls. The defence has really settled down after the Rochdale massacre and apart from a couple of other dodgy halves has been pretty good this season.

I'd assume Bradshaw hag to go off with the injury that was bugging him a few weeks ago so must make him doubtful for Oldham and no Welsh call up.

I'd be interested to see what Smith does next week. Oldham have hit a bit of form recently. To those that went today do you reckon Cook has 60 minutes in him to lead the line as I can understand why Smith would be reluctant to start Manset again after his non existant game at Rochdale.

It does also look to me inevitable that Grimes will be shoehorned back into midfield aswell.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Good performance and a good result which could have been even better but for a bit of luck and a bit more bottle.

For at least an hour of that game, we were the better side but didn't really have any punch in the final third. Bradshaw going off was a blow and having to play Cook up front on his own was even more of a blow. People are asking why Manset didn't come on instead, but I think that's fairly obvious - he's not fit enough to play for more than 20 minutes. I felt sorry for Cook as he was understandably rusty and if there's one position you don't want to find yourself in when you're rusty, it's as a lone and very isolated striker.

Sawyers was head and shoulders above any player on the pitch today and the goal really was something else. He's unplayable on his day and his performances of late have been one of the main reasons we've improved our results.

One of the pleasing things about where we're at now is the potential to improve even further. We're automatically better when Bradshaw plays, Forde and O'Connor both look twice the players they were a month ago, Mantom's still to come back, and Manset looks handy despite the average pub player being twice as fit as him.

I'm not sure about Phil's suggestion that Bristol City weren't that good - I think we didn't let them be very good. Let's not forget, today was the first game in four where they didn't score three goals.

One final thing - was the tackle Cotterill said he apologised for really that bad? And any news on what Bradshaw's injury was?

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Impressive performance. Bristol City are a decent side and will be up there come the end of the season for sure.

We had our moments during the first half but really came into the game in the second period. I thought Forde and O'Conner had really strong games. Forde was a major threat for City most of the game. Forde could well be a key player for us going forward.

Well done boys!

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Improved atmosphere also. Well done to those who got behind the boys.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Could've won that in the end.

Cook looked very rusty and on what I've seen, I'm not sure why we're playing our fourth best right back when the others are all fit. But overall very pleasing and I think i leaked a bit when the equaliser went in. We won't half miss him next week but to be fair he came back in far better nick than he left last time so can't complain about international call ups too much. Like others, I thought Forde did well today.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Good performance and a good result which could have been even better but for a bit of luck and a bit more bottle.

For at least an hour of that game, we were the better side but didn't really have any punch in the final third. Bradshaw going off was a blow and having to play Cook up front on his own was even more of a blow. People are asking why Manset didn't come on instead, but I think that's fairly obvious - he's not fit enough to play for more than 20 minutes. I felt sorry for Cook as he was understandably rusty and if there's one position you don't want to find yourself in when you're rusty, it's as a lone and very isolated striker.

Sawyers was head and shoulders above any player on the pitch today and the goal really was something else. He's unplayable on his day and his performances of late have been one of the main reasons we've improved our results.

One of the pleasing things about where we're at now is the potential to improve even further. We're automatically better when Bradshaw plays, Forde and O'Connor both look twice the players they were a month ago, Mantom's still to come back, and Manset looks handy despite the average pub player being twice as fit as him.

I'm not sure about Phil's suggestion that Bristol City weren't that good - I think we didn't let them be very good. Let's not forget, today was the first game in four where they didn't score three goals.

One final thing - was the tackle Cotterill said he apologised for really that bad? And any news on what Bradshaw's injury was?

Recurrence of his hamstring niggle.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Decent point, maybe we could've had all three.

Start with the negatives. I'm not a fan of O'Connor, he's ok going forward but defensively he's useless. Why the heck was he marking Downing's man rather than his own for their goal? I'd expect that off someone like Kinsella who's a youngster playing out of position, not a seasoned pro. If J.Chambers is fit, I'd put him in.

Downing had a mare. Too many misplaced passes and far too many mistakes.

Flanagan, once again, was out of his depth. He looked lost at times. Bags of potential, but he's not quite ready. Things Sured up in the middle of the park when Clifford came on.

Onto the positives, as a team it was a good performance. We made a very good Bristol City team look very ordinary.

Sawyers was once again superb. Best player on the pitch and fully deserved MOTM. What a finish for his goal too. Funny what a bit of confidence can do.

Forde is growing. As each game goes by he gets better and better. I think he can become a decent winger for us. Him and Cook on the wings could cause problems for most teams in this division.

Cook, although started slowly he got into things. He's clearly more effective on the wing and didn't look fully fit, which is to be expected. However, the flashes he showed indicate he's still got the skill he had when he was here on loan.

I'd have taken a point before hand, and pleased with a point afterwards. I think we have turned a corner and I'm hoping that Bradshaw's injury isn't too serious as it could seriously hamper our progress.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Bristol calling us Brummies on their match thread...

WE AYE donald BRUMMIES :evil:

They do it because:

Either they're clever enough to spot a wind-up opportunity,
Or stupid enough not to understand

Cornish halfwits. :wink:

Great outcome, I thought. Happy with that.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:46 pm

When Bradshaw was substituted the Dinglefm reporter said it was a tactical decision before correcting himself at half time :lol: :lol:

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 pm

deserved the win. truly great goal. bax got outmuscled a bit early on but grew into the game, he's playing well at the moment. city less horrible than last time but still fudge horrible. random number generators would yield more consistency than today's officials because at least they observe the law of averages. o'donnel still not collecting balls that are easily his. cook did pretty well. killed them with the ball on the deck but lumped it too often. butler manset would be some collision.

very enjoyable stuff, glad everybody on here was so patient.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:30 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Bristol calling us Brummies on their match thread...

WE AYE fudge BRUMMIES :evil:

funny lot those welsh pirates.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:36 pm

fudge good goal. Sawyers was twice the player once Clifford came on and ran at them to make some space.

Brizzle were nasty cheating shite who'll probably win a cack division (to put the result into a positive light which is really encouraging).

Loved Cook taking out out the twerp!

SWS1

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Can someone supply a link to the highlights, like last week?
Ta :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 pm

They won't be out till Monday on YouTube, but if you go to BBC 1 you can watch the highlights on The Football League Show in the next hour or so.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:50 pm

http://youtu.be/VCZRfNj1tAs slight extension on Sawyers strike.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:01 pm

I guess it can be argued that the possession football we play, even without a cutting edge, is an investment in the last part of the match. The Bristol players looked more tired than ours, and that extra half a yard of room makes goals like Sawyers' possible.
Cottrell mentioned in a post-match interview that they'd needed 'strong thighs' because of the way we were moving his team around.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:17 am

Over the moon with a point if im honest. Didnt see us getting much at all yesterday but we outplayed them for the majority of the game. Very poor defending from O'connor for their goal. It was so obvious the guy wanted to cut in on his right foot and O'connor got well and truly stictched up by a drop of the shoulder, good finish though. Sawyers...what can you say about this lad? Admittedly im not his biggest fan but with confidence he is unplayable at times, his vision and movement for the goal were as good as you will see in any league. I honestly thought the kid would go into his shell after the abuse he go but not a bit of it and fair fudge play to the lad. Between him and forde today for MOTM imo as forde was excellent, looking like a "proper" winger. Get cook on the other wing once hes fully fit because as much as I love Bax hes not a winger and I cant see a place for him in the starting 11 at the moment. A mention for Clifford aswell, came on vs Doncaster 2nd half and we totally outplayed them. Came on yesterday in the 2nd half and we improved again. Coincidence? I dont think so. I do like Flanagan, can see him being a cracking player in a couple years but hes not there yet, clifford is.

All in all a great performance to the point where im actually bit disappointed we didnt win. Still a fantastic point from a team who are running away with the division atm.

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season