Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster H

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Doncaster H

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Forde looks like the type so far who'll be great in home games when the team click but in the tough away games when he gets kicked he'll just disappear.

That said someone on here a few weeks back made a good point that league one wingers are all much of a muchness, really spoilt a few years back when Pato and Brandy were running riot for 6 months.

bigste

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 pm

A great win, another clean sheet, and 3 class goals.
Thought Forde had a great game today, first 20 mins he was running at them, and had a couple of shots blocked very early on. Contender for MOTM today.
O conner looked solid at RB, got his head in, and some great tackles.
Downing and Butler solid pairing. Got to mention butlers challenge with their keeper, forcing him to go off injured. Nice one !!
O donnell had nothing to do all game, thought his kicking was good.
Bradshaw runs his socks off. Best signing in years. A Cross between Jorge and Grigg. Can see him beating westcarrs tally from last year easy.
Baxendale, thought he was poor up untill his goal. Came out 2 nd half a different player. Worked well on the right wing.
Only player on the pitch who had a poor game was Flanagan , weak on distribution of passes, got knocked off the ball to easy. I like him, he has so much potential. Time to give him a break. Can't start him next week against Bristol.
Ref was shocking, and made some bizarre decisions for both teams. Him and linesman missed stone walled penalty.
Looking forward to next week, Bristol should bring a few which will make for a good atmosphere. 2 home wins on the trot, 6 goals scored, and confidence high.
Happy Days !!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:06 pm

What a result. To a man, really good but special mention to Sawyers and Bax.

As for Tom Bradshaw, well he's superb. I try to not go over the top with players too early, but he looks like the best striker/number 9 we've had since Fryatt. Proper striker, always looking to sniff something out and he'll have goals in him even when he has off days.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:15 pm

First half was pretty even and pretty poor in all honest. However, Doncaster seemed to be pressing more in the last few minutes so ok grab the lead just befor half time was superb.

Second half we dominated. Fully deserved the 3-0 score line and in all honesty it could've been more. Bradshaw was denied a stonewall penalty from some dodgey refereeing.

O'Donnell - Didn't have an awful lot to do but did what was asked of him comfortably.

O'Connor - Shakey at times, but still had an ok game on the whole.
Butler - Won everything in the air. Typical. Butler performance
Downing - Had a very good game, seemed to be intercepting everything.
Taylor - Mr Reliable and some. Fantastic from him both defensively and offensively.

A. Chambers - Ran the middle of the park. Broke up play and distributed effectively.
Flanagan - Played ok but struggled at times. His passing was abit off a few too many times

Baxendale - Poor first half, kept falling over. He must've changed his studs second half as he was superb, constant threat with his clever tricky feet.
Sawyers - Head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. He was unplayable today, finally back to his best.
Forde - Growing in confidence. He had a good game today where he was willing to try and make things happen. Clever free kick for his goal

Bradshaw - Tireless performance, constant nuisance to the defence. Took his goal well.

Subs
Clifford - Sured things up in huge middle when we came on
Manset - Should've had himself a goal with a header, did ok in a short amount of time
Grimes - A few nice touches and got into space well. Didn't have a lot of time to make an impact.

Hopefully we will turn a corner now, especially with the injury list currently shortening. Two clean sheets in the bounce is also pleasing. Onwards and upwards!

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:26 pm

39 points to safety

Good win

In Smityout we trust

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Poor, boring first half performance. So much so I went down early and had a very rare Bonser Bitter and missed the goal.

Much better second half, ran the show and could've won by more.

Nice to see Sawyers actually putting himself about a bit and winning a few balls.

Hopefully we've turned a corner but thought that after Preston and we turned into the path of a articulated lorry. Next week will be tough but a good performance and a point will be most welcome.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:16 am

So, for those of us who for obvious reasons aren't getting to matches, what has made the difference in the last few weeks? Seems not that long ago reading this board felt like peeking into depressives anonymous, but clearly the corner has been turned and we've started to play reasonably well. Is it formation, organisation, tactics, someone coming back, players hitting a streak of form, the team beginning to gel or what?

BTW down under we have just finished the Aussie Rules season (Hawthorn won the Grand Final yesterday at the MCG) and our soccer season starts on the 11th. In the off season, my chosen team has changed its owners, its name, its badge and its strip...

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:31 am

fensaddler wrote:So, for those of us who for obvious reasons aren't getting to matches, what has made the difference in the last few weeks? Seems not that long ago reading this board felt like peeking into depressives anonymous, but clearly the corner has been turned and we've started to play reasonably well. Is it formation, organisation, tactics, someone coming back, players hitting a streak of form, the team beginning to gel or what?

BTW down under we have just finished the Aussie Rules season (Hawthorn won the Grand Final yesterday at the MCG) and our soccer season starts on the 11th. In the off season, my chosen team has changed its owners, its name, its badge and its strip...

I cannot comment on the away games but the last two home games both opposition's have come out to play rather than put 10 men behind the ball ( that's when we struggle to open teams up) and hit us on the break. Two goals for Bradshaw from crosses into the box, this was not happening last season or the start of this season. Also players appear to be willing to shoot from distance Aswel, as yet this has not given us a goal but its good too see.

P.s Question to the morons waving your arms about like idiots moaning at Flanagan for putting one high wide and handsome, Are you the same people who shout SHOOT at any given time? Just a thought.

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:41 am

A nice video of Forde's goal:

http://youtu.be/tPsuKhdFoXc

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 am

[/quote]
P.s Question to the morons waving your arms about like idiots moaning at Flanagan for putting one high wide and handsome, Are you the same people who shout SHOOT at any given time? Just a thought.[/quote]

Phew, I'm glad the idiots have a potential boo boy now that Sawyers and Baxendale are starting to show some form. Always great to pick the youngest, most inexperienced player and then complain bitterly when they go on to become better players elsewhere. :roll:

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:14 am

Some light at the end of the tunnel at last! Very tough game up next though.

We actually have one of the best defences in the league at the moment, would be even better were it not for the Rochdale debacle.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:51 am

pumajaguar wrote:We actually have one of the best defences in the league at the moment, would be even better were it not for the Rochdale debacle.

It'll certainly be tested next week - Bristol City have scored three goals in each of their last three games.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 am

Great result and greater performance too by the sounds of it. Hopefully players getting confidence back and we can build on it

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:54 am

Well ya coor mone at that

I really enjoyed yesterday

Perhaps as it has always been there is not too much separating most teams In the division and it will come down to the best strikers. In which case Bradshaw gives great hope.

I don't think you can read too much into the Bristol result whatever the outcome because it appears most teams in the league won't pick up anything from them. Although if they don't sit back and defend deep who knows - perhaps we can expect an high scoring game.

The pressure needs to be kept on smith because to be fair he seems to be sticks motivated rather than carrots. He rallies well in under criticism when the team are lower in the league but when we chase a playoff place and he starts to get the plaudits and not pressure it's as if things somehow get derailed.

Have to congratulate smith on his teams performance yesterday as it is only fair but the standard has been set now and with mantom cook and j chambers missing there is no reason why standards should drop.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Brillant win, 3 good goals and signs of hope that if we get everyone fit and confident we can once again stay away from the bottom of the division, a fair achievement for a team with our fan base and relative budget. Game of 2 halves would sum it up best. The first was a game of 'you keep ball and we will follow'. Donny had just started to look like they could create something when Bax popped that lovely finish in from a well worked set piece.

Second half was very good. Sawyers and Bradshaw clicked and they were absolutely unplayable for 20 minutes when we could have run riot. Sawyers was back to his very best and deserved his MOTM, he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, his movement and ball for the second goal were from another level. Bradshaw is brillant, hard worker and not only does he convert the chances he gets, he also showed signs yesterday of being able to skin a man and create his own shooting opportunities. The defence were all solid, marshalled well by Butler. Taylor and O'Connor seemed to get higher up the pitch as the score went from 0-0 to 3-0 in relatively quick time and Manset finally showed signs of life when he came on, though he should have absolutely broken the net with a late header after a brillant cross from Taylor. Baxendale and Forde actually ran at the defence with some pace and they both looked to create something. Hopefully that gives Bax some confidence and we get that out of Forde more regularly, I won't hold my breath however.

I think you can count next weekend out, give me a point right now and I'll snap your hand off. Bristol City will be the only obvious promotion candidates this season, with perhaps Dons/Posh and the Blades running them close. If someone offered me 6 points from 3 home games vs Preston, Doncaster and Bristol City - I'd have accepted it on the spot and any other Walsall fan would have been stupid not too. With reference to the comment above - what was different? Well we won absolutely every single 50-50 in the second half, which meant we could exploit Doncaster trying to get back into the game with the freedom and space of the top end of the pitch. O'Connor and Taylor intercepted the ball numerous times and Clifford (who by the way was brought on at just the right time from Smith, we moan at his tactics/subs but he got that bang on) seemed to win everything in the middle. We've also noticeably started mixing it up in how we get the ball forward, lots of crosses yesterday and some better set piece delivery from corners.

O'Donnell - Had pretty much nothing to do but save a couple of shots straight at him.

O'Connor - Slow start, likes a hoof. Grew into the game and got forward well. Champagne back heel late on.
Downing - Is less of a footballer than Roper was, but was steady and won everything in the air.
Butler - Didn't lose a thing, so calm and collected - he makes it look easy.
Taylor - Started okay and grew into the game. His cross late on was inch perfect. So good when he gets forward.

Baxendale - Dreadful for 40 minutes. Kept falling over. Scored a lovely goal and was a different player after the break. Passed the ball well, but most importantly was aggressive and ran at Donny.
Chambers - Worst of our players IMO. Gave the ball away a few times in the second half. He had a shot though and won a couple of tackles in the second half, so it's hard to give him much stick. The improvement since Scunthorpe where he was dire was vast.
Flanagan - Did okay, looks good on the ball but is a little ambitious at times. Give him a few years to bulk and we have a player.
Forde - An under the radar MOTM candidate. Had some snap shots early on that were blocked, attacked his full back and a few of his set pieces were excellent. Nice free kick, sold the keeper well.

Sawyers - MOTM. Absolutely outstanding, strong, worked hard, jumped for headers, his vision and first touch were sublime and the dink ball for Bradshaw's goal was virtually undefendable. Back to his very best and comfortably the best player on the park.

Bradshaw - Thought he started slowly, you could tell he was shaking off an injury but his second half performance was exceptional. His movement, tireless workrate and finishing could see him become a serious rival to Butler for my favourite player. If we build the team around him and have Cook/Manset to play where he does too, then we could be on to a big money player here. Hope he keeps his head down. Smith's best signing of the summer by absolutely miles.

Donny were by the way, absolutely horrific. They crumbled and capitulated infront of our eyes in the second half and once it went 1-0, they barely had a kick. They are in serious need of a new manager and quick, or else they will be in for a long season. O'Donnell didn't make one single save.

Bristol City top who are flying and will bring a good 2k next week and then Oldham, unbeaten in 7 with some good forwards next - give me 2 points and I'll be satisfied. Onwards!

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:35 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRotIMjUlI

Thanks SaddlerCrewe :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:53 pm

fensaddler wrote:So, for those of us who for obvious reasons aren't getting to matches, what has made the difference in the last few weeks?

Ahem.....

First 5 games: Welsh Saddler. P5 W0 D3 L2 F3 A5 Pts 3

Last 4 games: Chestersaddler. P4 W2 D1 L1 F6 A5 Pts 7

:D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:16 pm

fensaddler wrote:So, for those of us who for obvious reasons aren't getting to matches, what has made the difference in the last few weeks?

Cully's sweater

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Sadders wrote:Forde - An under the radar MOTM candidate. Had some snap shots early on that were blocked, attacked his full back and a few of his set pieces were excellent. Nice free kick, sold the keeper well.

I'm not sure a winger should ever be an 'under the radar' MOTM candidate, should he?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:11 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Ahem.....

You must really hate me.......... :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:31 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:Forde - An under the radar MOTM candidate. Had some snap shots early on that were blocked, attacked his full back and a few of his set pieces were excellent. Nice free kick, sold the keeper well.

I'm not sure a winger should ever be an 'under the radar' MOTM candidate, should he?

Maybe not normally, but he definetely was yesterday. Sawyers and Bradshaw will take the plaudits, along with Taylor and Butler - but he had snapshots early on, scored a free kick and just generally went about his business with a constant 7 out of 10 sort of rating. He wasn't right at the core of everything, but a lot of the good things we did came through him.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Ahem.....

Don't tell anyone i told ya, but there's a collection going round to pay for you to extend your holiday til May :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:18 pm

fensaddler wrote:Seems not that long ago reading this board felt like peeking into depressives anonymous,

That was only last week.
Many posters seem to suffer from a borderline bipolar disorder.
They post on here and then we suffer from their disorder too.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Ahem.....

Your P45 will be in the post :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Doncaster's "Wall" almost as bad as that one we had v palace.

Love that second goal though.

Not been much this season but i already love Bradshaw.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:38 am

Really chuffed with another emphatic home win.

Onwards and upwards...

UTS

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:46 pm

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 am

I watched those highlights and focused on Sawyers particularly.

fudge great player when he's like that.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Smith realising that if you put pressure on teams penalty area with a mixture of attacking plays it will get results with this team. Sawyers getting back to the player we know he can be, good confident boosters for Bax & Forde, plus the defence getting stronger again. Hopefully Cook will be available soon as well so we can see what he has to offer.

Happy days

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season