Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (H) League One Sat 13 Sept

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Preston at um

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:35 pm

tipton saddler wrote:This enough of an atmosphere for ya u moaning Scunthorpe

:?: :?:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:37 pm

typical Walsall, always good when im skint.

We have scored a header from a cross, and direct from a corner. I think im going to pass out.

Sawyers shutting up a few people tonight, his holiday must of done him good. :)

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:39 pm

From a corner!!!!????

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Guest wrote:From a corner!!!!????

The Butler Effect

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Make this 4 and i might do a wee.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm

FT 3-1

Fantastic result.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:54 pm

3-1 :D :D :D Great result well done the lads.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Excellent!

Sadders
UTS Legend

There it is! Hopefully this is where things pick up a little. Great win. Sounds like it should have been by more and that Butler was well and truly everywhere. Let's see if we can get something at Spotland on Tuesday.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

......and breath.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

What mate?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:05 pm

tipton saddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

What mate?

Don't understand the post :?

Fantastic win, over the moon. Now, where is PNEthor? :lol:

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:13 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
tipton saddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

What mate?

Still modelling for the advertising board. Couldn't fit his head in the picture before 3pm today, shouldn't have a problem now though :mrgreen:

Chasetown saddler

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:16 pm

soon as i saw Butler had signed i knew we were going to win.

The Butler Effect

SWS1

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:23 pm

:D :D :D Oh my, oh my! Lovely! :D :D :D

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:38 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
tipton saddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

What mate?

Sorry mate got caught up in the moment lol
Best atmosphere in months today, much of that is owed to the away fans but still fantastic. More of this please.
Apart from downings distribution 1st half we played some great football today. Didnt agree with the MOM though. Not saying sawyers didnt play well because he really did put a shift in today and finished off a great move with abrilliant finish. I think it should have gone to bradshaw myself, superb again today, cracking header for the goal, led the line well and it was a shame he picked up what looks like a hamstring injury. O'Donnell is an idiot and was lucky to not see red himself after running 40-50 yards to get involved but having said that its nice to see players sticking up for their team mates although the shove was totally unnecessary. Lucky the ref saw it and only booked him ss I believe no further action can be taken now(may be wrong on that)

Overall fantastic game, performance and result.

UTS

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Two things.

1. Can you start the next few match threads, Chester? Until we lose, anyway - then Welsh can have it back.

2. Can't we get this Butler chap on a more permanent deal? He seems to have an effect ...

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:50 pm

O'Donnell is a fudge hero, ran half the pitch and just absolutley clattered Hugill, don't fudge mess with Andy Butler! :lol:

Great performance.

Sir Andrew Peter Butler is a true Walsall Legend, always put his head where it hurts for us, he is legendary.

Forde was excellent, Benning was hard working, Clifford was very good, Sawyers was back to his old self and Bradshaw is still a bloody brilliant workhorse and striker. O'Connor and Downing, very, very solid and Taylor is the best LB in the league. Flanagan is a good talent, worked very hard and has very nice feet.

Onwards and upwards.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Guest wrote:Two things.

1. Can you start the next few match threads, Chester? Until we lose, anyway - then Welsh can have it back.

2. Can't we get this Butler chap on a more permanent deal? He seems to have an effect ...

No problem. Another few days won't hurt :lol: I'll start my research on Rochdale in the morning.

I imagine Cully wore the lucky jumper today. That'll explain it :D

Great win btw :D

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Guest wrote:Two things.

Welsh Out. :wink:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Brilliant performance, 3 goals, nice to see smiles on peoples faces and Sawyers was almost back to his best,

How were Preston unbeaten? Absolutely shocking.

Only donwside is the possibility of more injury's. Bradshaw was definately feeling the back of his thigh.

p.s special mention to O'Connor, one of those faultless performances that go unnoticed.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Only thing that disappointed me was that they didn't find PNEThor out of the crowd to do the crossbar challenge :( . Although their representative took a shocking effort :lol: .

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Another plus point wingers going down the wing and putting crosses in, what a beautiful sight that was.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Great win today against a horrible Pne side that pushed pulled and feigned injury at every opportunity.

Butlers leadership is exactly what we have been missing.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:55 pm

That's better

I enjoyed that- just shows that the injury situation wasn't the problem that it was being made out to be and really cant be used as an excuse again.

shame we cant find a formation to play both Manset and Bradshaw. There was some good DIRECT play and when Bradshaw was on he was getting roughed up and struggled to hold the ball up then when Manset came on he was comfortably winning the flick ons but there was no one to benefit.

Super Tom will get a few this year though and his goal today alone was worth the entrance fee

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:59 pm

It feels weird starting a Saturday night after a win.

We were great for the first 10-15 minutes, then second best for the rest of the second half and once they equalised, I think 90 per cent of the home crowd saw another defeat on the cards.

Thankfully, we started the second half as well as we'd started the first, scored again, and were the better side for the rest of the game. Even if without the sending off, I'm sure we'd have held our lead at the very least.

In summary, we just looked like we wanted it more than them. Whether Butler's signing made a difference or not I'm not sure, but he played like he'd never been away and Downing played like a man possessed alongside him. Further up the pitch, Sawyers looked like the dangerous player we know, rather than the liability he'd become before the international break, and the fans really got behind him, which will do him the world of good.

In terms of individual performances, there were plenty of good ones, but also still some room for improvement, which I'm taking as a good thing for now. I thought Forde was poor, but his cross for the second goal was spot-on, so fair play to him. Benning flatters to deceive too, but he works really hard and that made a contribution in the second half in particular. Adam Chambers probably had his best 45 minutes of the season in the first half and even had a hand in the first goal. When Clifford replaced him though, there was a noticeable increase in the tempo of our football, which has to give Smith food for thought. O'Donnell was lucky to escape a red but was otherwise very good, as was his entire back four. Bradshaw ran his socks off and took his goal amazingly well, and Manset looked a handful - finally we have the options to change things up front.

Smith's taken a fair amount of stick recently and most of it's been justified. That said, he can take all the plaudits tonight because there was nothing lucky about that win - one of the most fancied sides in the league will have made their way back to Lancashire knowing they were well beaten.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:15 pm

Well done to the boys for a fantastic victory today, an all round good performance. Glad to see Smith finally decided to do what we have all been saying for weeks and played with 2 wide men. Stretched the play and created openings. How brilliant was that header from Bradshaw? Our best centrw forward for donkeys years.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Well done to the boys for a fantastic victory today, an all round good performance. Glad to see Smith finally decided to do what we have all been saying for weeks and played with 2 wide men. Stretched the play and created openings. How brilliant was that header from Bradshaw? Our best centrw forward for donkeys years.

He is immense, just hope he's not to bad injured.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:19 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:Well done to the boys for a fantastic victory today, an all round good performance. Glad to see Smith finally decided to do what we have all been saying for weeks and played with 2 wide men. Stretched the play and created openings. How brilliant was that header from Bradshaw? Our best centrw forward for donkeys years.

He is immense, just hope he's not to bad injured.

Lets hope not, Manset still looks well short of fitness and match sharpness.

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Totally agree that Manset is not fit enough, however looks like he will cause problems and will score plenty of goals. Best performance of the season. Played like a team at last I and if we continue like this them everyone else will fear us. Let's make it the fortress we have been waiting for. Onwards and upwards from now on.....

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season