Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United - League One (H) Saturday 6th September

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Re: Colchester United - League One (H) Saturday 6th Septembe

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:43 pm

So much for Smith`s home truths after the Scunthorpe match and promising a better match.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:44 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Rochdale are 4-0 up at Crawley, having won 5-2 at Crewe last week. Not bad for a side with a budget lower than us.

Similar, or perhaps slightly better with the Hogan dosh. They don't pay any rent either. Don't be deceived.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:45 pm

BathSaddler wrote:No shot on target from either side so far.

Well Colchester must have sensational iron clad...hyper-reactive, radar, light speed anticipation defence then as seeing as we have assembled the greatest strike force in Walsall history.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Sadders wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Rochdale are 4-0 up at Crawley, having won 5-2 at Crewe last week. Not bad for a side with a budget lower than us.

Similar, or perhaps slightly better with the Hogan dosh. They don't pay any rent either. Don't be deceived.

I bet their budget is lower than ours, Sadders. Not by much, but I bet it is.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Maybe we could beat Crawley or Crewe?

deldras
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 pm

FIVE added minutes....seems a bit cruel :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 pm

I think Walsall have a collective, team inherited psychological condition...like Obsessive Compulsive Urge not to score.... It is like the 15 match run of consecutive defeats in the former Second Division (Championship) (a record we still hold)...That team would be playing well, attacking...then concede a goal and inevitably lose with heads down...

There is the thought in the players mind....'We can't win and can't score' even if they have the physical and footballing capability to do so....maybe they need to change the name of the team to break the psychological decay. maybe 'Walsall Goalscorers F.C.' or something

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I think Dean Smith has perhaps too many players now competing for similar roles, and no-one is getting used to anything...not their own roles and abilities nor anyone else's.

The few quality players who could be progressing are being held ba ck by the traffic jam and spaghetti junction of team selection

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:54 pm

First shot on target by either side in the 90th minute, their keeper saving from Forde. Bradshaw then shoots wide after a corner [according to BBC Text].

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:54 pm

0-0 At least we went up a place even if we didn't score :?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:55 pm

I didn't expect this goal drought....I thought on paper they have some guys ho will score....now the expectation is the same...as last season.... either 0 or 1 is the most likely output...which invites the classic philosophy of last season 'THE FIRST GOAL IS MOST IMPORTANT [as we can't score anymore than that]'

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Pathetically predictable. The complete and utter lack of excitement must be the worst thing about all of this.

Time is running out Deano.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:00 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:0-0 At least we went up a place even if we didn't score :?

I will take a 0-0 under the current circumstances, even if it is against a side who had lost the last 4. I will reserve judgement on Smith until the better players are back, but I'm not confident or optimistic.

8 goals and only 1 win in the last 14 home league games now.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:01 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:0-0 At least we went up a place even if we didn't score :?

Yes, a clean sheet, and an upward arrow next to us in the league table. Playoffs here we come!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Only positive is the clean sheet.

Poor result.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:07 pm

was going to take my kids today as it was a family fun day etc...it must have been more exciting before the game outside the stadium.
my prediction before the season was and still is a relegation battle. things look too predictable and Smith and co need to change things sooner rather than late or else were doomed.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Again, some perspective needed. We have a mass of injuries, to not just players - but our best players. They had a full side out and reading the Colchester collective viewpoint on social media and other forums they have done well so far this season in games and lost on undeserved goals or bad personal mistakes. They didn't do much at the other end and we got lucky with what sounded a cast iron penalty. We've done well in the last few years and are now having a patch with injuries and transition and have a squad that reflect our pathetic attendances/budget. As I've said in the last 3 years, it's only so long before the financial realities catch up and each season when we avoid that, we've done well. Yes we shouldn't just blame that and I'm not, Smith has big problems. But if we don't finish in the bottom 6 one season, then I bet 3 or 4 of the poorer budgets/smaller clubs do and it's only so long you can avoid that until it's our turn to fight off relegation. This is what being a Walsall fan is about, enjoying the ups and sticking through the long dips.

Let's see if Smith can get Butler back and then get 3 or 4 absolutely key players back in and then judge him. We had 6 youth products on show today, an average age that's not much passed puberty and 3 starters who have barely kicked a first team ball for us. I firmly believe things will improve once Cook, Mantom, Chambers and Sawyers all come back in and get themselves fit and confident.

It's going to be a long 9 months for some of you.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:13 pm

One thing's for sure. Those players on the treatment table at present have all enhanced their reputations being out of the side.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Mantom is a big loss, but I have my doubts about how much of an impact the other injured players' absence is really having.

J. Chambers - Good player yes, but this is what you get when you look to an injury prone veteran full back to replace Andy Butler.

Cook - There seems to be natural assumption that Cook will be instant improvement on what we already have. I hope he is and was pleased we signed him, but it's not a given. He's only played about 30 games in the last three years, so who knows how good he will be.

Grimes - Been rubbish so far to be honest.

Perkiss - Lucky to still be at the club. At best, he his our third-choice right back.

Sawyers - Got potential, but has been poor for months now. I wouldn't be starting him even if he was available.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:29 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:One thing's for sure. Those players on the treatment table at present have all enhanced their reputations being out of the side.

Perhaps they think it's better to stay on that table.

SWS1

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:40 pm

OK. So we is disappointed again but our injury list really is horrendous. We can't judge the team until DS has a more or less full squad to pick from. Then see us roar into mid-table obscurity (which, of course, most fans would relish as relative success for us). I agree with general opinion that we still need a good central defender to replace Butler but, that aside, I think the squad is capable of attaining safety if nothing else.
UTS
Glass 0.49999% full.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:47 pm

After 6 matches Walsall are the lowest goalscoring team in the division.....one goal every 2 matches...... 3 in 6.

So our goalscoring average has worsened since last season...and last season was worst in the whole league or worst in Walsall history? I've forgotten

SWS1

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:50 pm

According to the BBC, they only had one shot all game. That can't be right can it? :shock:
Apparently we had 8 but only one on target. :(
Sounds a bit dire 'ere (diarrhoea - geddit? :lol: But I hope you don't. :mrgreen: )

But see my other, wise post. :)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Smith got it wrong all game, took him 75 minutes to fix it but by then it was too late.

- 3 in midfield, at home AGAIN. I thought you learnt your lesson last season Deano, too negative.
- Started with Flanagan as the deep defensive midfielder of the 3, and A Chambers as a wider, more advanced midfielder... what the fudge?
- No width, put poor Morris in the hole. Problem was he is a player that likes to run at defenders, but when you have another 3 central midfielders behind you, Colchester naturally defender narrower, meaning less, and less room for him to do what he is good at, leaving him excluded and useless.
- No width also meant no cover for the full backs, poor Kinsella and Taylor had horrid times trying to stop their two wingers who had all the time and space to do what we cannot, run at our defenders.
- Second half, I thought he had wised up when I saw Baxendale and Forde warming up, but no, instead of changing the shape HE KEPT THE EXACT SAME SHAPE, Baxo straight swap for Clifford and Forde straight swap for Morris (Forde looked lazy in that role)
- It took him till the 78th odd minute to wise up and go for A Chambers on his own in central defensive midfield, and Baxo ahead of him. Benning and Forde on the wings providing width, but also defensive cover as they track back well in that position. By then it was too late.

Impressed with Manset, Bradshaw and Kinsella again.

Someone kill that John who phones up WM after every game even though he has never been, and always says the same thing about Bonser. It's almost as boring and frustrating a the football.

I think the personnel is fine, for me, Deano needs to buck up his ideas and quick because more and more people are getting annoyed with the performances.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Totally predictable result and performance. Deano seemed to think it was ok in his post match interview. 6 games in and no win.
As a season ticket holder I'm starting to dread home games. The only positive that can be taken was the performances of the young players who grew into the game as it went on. After a shaky start Flanagan improved and it seemed baffling that he was substituted at that point.
Can't see what Forde brings to the side though and we have him on a 2 year deal.Crazy.
We had nobody in the side who can beat a man until Benning came on. I think he has had a raw deal being dropped.

I really cannot see where points are coming from this season.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
I think the personnel is fine, for me, Deano needs to buck up his ideas and quick because more and more people are getting annoyed with the performances.

exactly how I see it...the talent is there but deano needs to change the formation as currently the one he sets out week in week out is the stumbling block

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:05 pm

cack team selection, cack tactics (if there were any), cack game

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Game was dire so enough on that. Let's look at what it tells us about Smith and where he is currently at:

1. Leaving Holden out the team - are we now saying he isn't adequate back up and therefore have made a mistake with our defensive recruitment.
2. O'Connor played well at centre back, but does Smith see him as a right back given he hasn't played him there to date?
3. Why are we playing a left winger in the number 10 position?
4. What is the point of Baxendale? Smith gives him a 3 year deal, we have injuries yet he would rather play Morris in that position? No wonder Bonsor doesn't give him funds if this is how he's punks them up the wall.
5. Morris, Forde, Baxendale, Benning - 4 wingers that played today. If you were not at the game you would have thought we would have played with width today. Wrong it took Smith until 80 mins to do this despite us using 4 wingers during the course of the match.
6. So far this season we have crossed balls into the box hoping we would have pinpoint accuracy to get it to our one man in the box (Bradshaw). Today we play with 2 up front, do we cross it.....? Answers on a postcard.
7. Forde is the next 2 seasons version of Hemmings.
8. Chambers is not a captain in a million years.

Smith has started on the Slippery slope of appearing clueless and panicking with selections and tactics. If next week sees a raft of changes (excluding those where injured players are returning) then the end will be nigh. As someone else has posted, we may have injuries but barring Mantom, Chambers and Cook the others wouldn't or shouldn't be near the starting 11. If smith thought he would get through the season without injuries or suspensions then he was simply being ignorant and therefore he was happy to go into the season with the depth of squad he had as both Mantom and Cook we injured during pre season with time to loan players to cover.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:27 pm

What can you say?

Fed up with the season already

Can't see where the next win/goal will come from

Smith is clueless

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:36 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Smith has started on the Slippery slope of appearing clueless and panicking with selections and tactics. .

Yes it appears so at a distance...

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season