Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United - League One (H) Saturday 6th September

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
clawtheolder
Glitterati

Re: Colchester United - League One (H) Saturday 6th Septembe

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 am

He keeps going on about injured players coming back, but i don't think they will make any difference, if that team yesterday couldn't beat them two more players ie Manton, & Cooke won't make the difference. it's his tactics that are all wrong.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 am

I have come to the conclusion that the views of most on this board do not represent the majority of our support.As desparate as it was yesterday still they sang Dean Smiths barmy army!

Either -You don't know what your doing or We want Deano out would be more apt.

It would seem afterall that 2 wins in 20 odd games and 3 goals in 6 games is quite acceptable to most of our fans.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:17 pm

m&m wrote:I have come to the conclusion that the views of most on this board do not represent the majority of our support.As desparate as it was yesterday still they sang Dean Smiths barmy army!

Either -You don't know what your doing or We want Deano out would be more apt.

It would seem afterall that 2 wins in 20 odd games and 3 goals in 6 games is quite acceptable to most of our fans.

It's not acceptable but when most of us go to the match the default position has to be to support the players and manager. Jeering either won't help us get a win. As the support whittles down towards our traditional 2,000 or so hardcore that default position becomes even more pronounced. Then a couple of whoppers who don't go to the games phone up WM to do the whinging and whining they probably used to do when they actually "supported" the team. I'm sure that if the 2,000 folk who stopped going 5 or 6 years ago were still there, then we'd have heard more because by definition they were our more flakey/fickle fans who are quicker to turn.

There's a lot of chatter on here and at the games about Smiths limitations and if things don't improve they will manifest themselves more audibly at games at some point, but once that begins with the hardcore it is very difficult to turn the tide back. Dean is right on the cusp and he must know that.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:22 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Someone kill that John who phones up WM after every game even though he has never been, and always says the same thing about Bonser. It's almost as boring and frustrating a the football.

Was he the one who said he couldn't go today because he was starting a job tomorrow?

What job is it that requires this 24hrs preparation?

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
What job is it that requires this 24hrs preparation?

I don't know...but it's certainly not opposition goalkeeper at a Walsall match :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm

In some respects it would be emotionally and psychologically boring if Walsall were winning all the time and scoring loads of goals.... There would be nothing to analyze....

The fact that we are so predictably bad is beginning to be more appealing altogether, maybe that is the seeds of masochism or something, I'm not sure....

We are much more interesting by being so poor...only scoring one goal in every two games is quite an achievement when you think about it, how many other teams in professional football can do that?

Another unique achievement is obtaining a whole load of attacking midfielders and strikers and yet threatening the opposition goal so little.....and it's not because they are old men or anything, they are young.... so again, how many clubs can match that?

And they meet expectations regularly of only scoring one or none, again...try and make that prediction with other teams on a regular basis....

I think we are all better and more interesting people with more textured experiences due to this...and it meets the geographical profile when you think about it in terms of support scale....all the professional West Midlands clubs relatively well supported...but not us.

And this is the only club in the world that I pay any attention to...and no other club has Sallian, so that proves my point decisively.
Last edited by sallian on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:37 pm

sallian wrote:In some respects it would be emotionally and psychologically boring if Walsall were winning all the time and scoring loads of goals.... There would be nothing to analyze....

The fact that we are so predictably bad is beginning to be more appealing altogether, maybe that is the seeds of masochism or something, I'm not sure....

We are much more interesting by being so poor...only scoring one goal in every two games is quite an achievement when you think about it, how many other teams in professional football can do that?

Another unique achievement is obtaining a whole load of attacking midfieldersa nd strikers and yet threatening the opposition goal so little.....and it's not because they are old men or anything, they are young.... so again, how many clubs can match that?

And they meet expectations regularly of only scoring one or none, again...try and make that prediction with other teams on a regular basis....

I think we are all better and more interesting people with more textured experiences due to this...and it meets the geographical profile when you think about it in terms of support scale....all the professional West Midlands clubs relatively well supported...but not us.

And this is the only club in the world that I pay any attention to...and no other club has Sallian, so that proves my point decisively.

And one of the key historical omens, that again is a clear indicator of this, was the first game at Bescot.... Bryant make his debut, in the first real game in the stadium...and scores an own goal in the second minute.... This sort of thing shows that this club is special....but only connoisseurs of such tapestries of meta-physical differentiation sub-cultural placement can understand such things...but it is there if you open your inward eyes.

SWS1

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:25 pm

In some respects it would be emotionally and psychologically boring if Walsall were winning all the time and scoring loads of goals.... There would be nothing to analyze.... Sallian says.

What rowlocks. For me, no way would that be boring. Emotionally or psychologically. I'd be on cloud nine - and I wouldn't care much about the football served up, either. Gimme goals and wins any day over tippy tappy relegation; although tippy tappy promotion would suit me nicely, too.
:mrgreen:

SWS1

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:18 pm

On a more serious note: surely DS does not decide on team, shape and tactics on his own? Don't other members of the management team have a say, too? What about Richard O'Kelly - he's first team coach? With all his experience, you'd think he would be able to spot what UTSers think they can see. (You'd expect the same from DS, of course). So what's going on? I always assume the club management a) are more experienced in football than me b) know more about football than me and c) know the players better than me. Those things are obvious as I am pretty clueless about all those things if the truth be told, BUT I assume that a) and/or b) and/or c) are true about ALL UTSers. So why can't the management see what seems so clear to many UTSers? Beats me. Can someone explain?
:?: :?

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:31 pm

SWS1 wrote:On a more serious note: surely DS does not decide on team, shape and tactics on his own? Don't other members of the management team have a say, too? What about Richard O'Kelly - he's first team coach? With all his experience, you'd think he would be able to spot what UTSers think they can see. (You'd expect the same from DS, of course). So what's going on? I always assume the club management a) are more experienced in football than me b) know more about football than me and c) know the players better than me. Those things are obvious as I am pretty clueless about all those things if the truth be told, BUT I assume that a) and/or b) and/or c) are true about ALL UTSers. So why can't the management see what seems so clear to many UTSers? Beats me. Can someone explain?
:?: :?

Know the players better and have more experience, indeed most likely....but have a better idea about tactics, style, formation, problems and solutions....not necessarily the case.....as there are so many variables in football and so many variables and approaches to analyzing a game.... the spectator might have much more accurate assessment of some issues and may have better ideas.

Results can be misleading...six inches difference and everyone will be cheering even if the underlying mechanisms were the same.

Everything could have been fine if it hadn't been for one player making a dumb decision or daydreaming for 1 second.

Football frustrating as you are relying on 11 to all click and do their jobs at the same time.....and if just one doesn't you can be down the pan...despite good coaching and tactics.

However....there are those issues all should be able to see like:-

i) Not enough shots
ii) Not enough early passes
iii) Not enough runs into the box
iv) Not early enough crosses
v) Not breaking quick enough
vi) Not enough running off the ball
vii) Not enough passes into space
viii) Zero creativity on set pieces for many years

and along with that....not enough high aspiration and ambition from players.....indicating a lack of belief, drive and expectation.....a GOOD MANAGER can lift people in those areas.........but another one will tolerate a low drive and not know how to motivate and inspire..... I think despite all the tactical errors I'm thinking it is this latter point that might be the main issue.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:05 am

More exciting stuff down the Bank'sssss I see

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:04 pm

derbysaddler wrote:More exciting stuff down the Bank'sssss I see

The final whistle was exciting.

Perhaps it just sounded a much more pleasing pitch because we were all looking forward to it so much.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:06 pm

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Cast iron penalty. Why back off into the penalty area before making a half arsed challenge? If you are going to make a tackle do it outside the box.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:25 am

Eartha afternoon.

Just scanning through some of the posts on here- with regards to formations and tactics, I'm glad a few fans in the stands seemed to be able to spot some shape, because I couldn't. Looks like a team of strangers who'd never even met let alone played together. There's no system at all, no game plan. So much just passing aimlessly into space. Apparently, according to Smith this is mostly ok, because (to roll out his old favourite line) "it's when we stop creating chances that we start to worry." Guess what? Booting the ball upfield to nobody is not creating chances. Just because the ball hovers for 5 minutes around the opposition penalty area before slowly working its way back for O'Donnell for him to boot it into dugout does not mean we are pressing or threatening. There was one move in the game that was dangerous, and that was when Bradshaw (who I love) was through at the end. That's it. In 90 minutes against a manager-less, winless team.

I don't really care who's injured. Part of a successful campaign is having squad depth and its clear that we have none. Sure, Mantom and Cook are out but that's no excuse for eartha tactics and clueless, boring football. I realise we aren't at full strength but we should be able to muster something that's vaguely entertaining, surely?! And I shudder to think what might happen if Downing and J. Chambers get injured at the same time! :shock:

Here are two comments from Smith in the latest Express and Dingle "Don't panic!" article.

"We’re not worried about the table because we’re six games in."
"We’re six points off the play-offs so are we in a relegation battle? No, I don’t think so"

Both in the same article/interview. So we're not paying attention to the table but it's ok that we can't win or score and we play boring football that's less interesting than watching the traffic on the M6 because we're 6 points off the play-offs.

Ridiculous.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Luckily I was scorching my mcGorbals off in Sunny Kos whilst this latest debacle unfolded, I note that it is late Thursday night now, but still no one has started off the Preston match report.....perhaps no one is brave enough to predict how many they will get against us.......what are the latest odds on Preston winning? 500/1-on perhaps?
Also Tuesdays game at Spotland was usually a good night out with a few bevvies thrown in, expecting a good, or average performance, but we can quite honestly expect a 'Preston' tonking from the Dale as well? And I was looking forward to a match. :?
NOT good times to be a Walsall fan methinks

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Luckily I was scorching my mcGorbals off in Sunny Kos whilst this latest debacle unfolded, I note that it is late Thursday night now, but still no one has started off the Preston match report.....perhaps no one is brave enough to predict how many they will get against us.......what are the latest odds on Preston winning? 500/1-on perhaps?
Also Tuesdays game at Spotland was usually a good night out with a few bevvies thrown in, expecting a good, or average performance, but we can quite honestly expect a 'Preston' tonking from the Dale as well? And I was looking forward to a match. :?

Someone could coax PNEThor into doing it?!? :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:13 pm

TheSwift wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Luckily I was scorching my mcGorbals off in Sunny Kos whilst this latest debacle unfolded, I note that it is late Thursday night now, but still no one has started off the Preston match report.....perhaps no one is brave enough to predict how many they will get against us.......what are the latest odds on Preston winning? 500/1-on perhaps?

Someone could coax PNEThor into doing it?!? :mrgreen:

We would have to ask his 'minders' to let him out of his straightjacket for a few minutes!!

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season