Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League One, Sat. 23rd August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League One, Sat. 23rd August 3pm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 pm

TheSwift wrote:Image

Face, Palm.

:shock:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
asimpson wrote:I have to say that is two points lost having gone to the game. Two average teams but we were the only one trying to play football. Leyton Orient were very predictable lumping it up to Henderson to knock on or getting it wide to Cox and McAnuff to cross for Henderson. Once we sussed this tactic out we looked pretty comfortable at the back.

Forde missed an absolute sitter from 3 yards having done all the good work to close the keeper down. He tried to be clever by back heeling it in and it went wide.

O'Donnell: Made a good save from Cox in second half and was solid throughout, particularly from the many crosses that came in.

Kinsella: What a talent this boy is, calm on the ball and can pick out a pass. First choice right back for me.

Holden: Very solid. Not the quickest but reads the game very well. Perfectly capable as a back up to Chambers.

Downing: Solid enough but not as confident on the ball as Holden.

Taylor: Mr Consistent. Got forward very well when needed.

Chambers: Won lots of tackles and kept the ball moving.

Clifford: Always looking for ball but gave it away far too much in the first half. Improved in the second half but needs to improve his decision making if he is to keep Mantom out the team.

Forde: Couple of good moments but drifted in and out of the game. Missed the open goal.

Baxendale: Like Forde a couple of good moments but pretty average.

Grimes: Too slow to get in support of Bradshaw which meant he wasn't able to get in the game. Also quite lazy when it comes to getting back to defend.

Bradshaw: Love this guy! Worked his socks off from first minute to the last and held the ball up well. His work rate alone means he will get goals. Reminds me a lot of Grigg. Left isolated for most of the game and would have benefited from someone else alongside him.

Subs

Sawyers: Few good touches when he came on but has a tendency to overplay.

Morris: Looked good when he came on and stated a good claim to get in the starting 11 instead of Grimes. Likes to make things happen.

Flanagan: Some nice passes but not on long enough to make that much of an impression.

very good summary

Agree.
100 posts in 9 years asimpson - an average of around 11 per annum - maybe you should post more!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Distinct lack of posts following our latest 0-0 win, plonking us well and truly in the relegation mire...
We REALLY have to stop scoring all these goals...just makes yer dizzy! :?

Are UTS'ers getting a tad 'fed up' with this nonsense? :(

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Yep - fed up of talk of "relegation mire" after 4 games :roll:

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote: Are UTS'ers getting a tad 'fed up' with this nonsense? :(

To be honest, I'm getting more fed up with your nonsense....

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Andrew Johnson hasn't got a club....he is 33 and is one of most clinical strikers I have ever seen

Remember the Walsall Birmingham game many years back....may have been his debut, was maybe a 16 or 17yr old at the time (him not me)....He looked like he was going to score with every touch.... Hehttps://www.google.co.uk/ looked so neat, clinical, accurate....like a proper drilled mechanical finisher....

He got injured for a long time during that match, and Walsall won 1-0, Rammell I think......but we know what he went to afterwards, but I feel he never filled his potential....like David Kelly didn't either

But he would still be EXACTLY what we need

Maybe he is well above the pay grade though.... maybe throw in a few extras for him ;)

(I couldn't post this in the appropriate section.... maybe I have restrictions imposed on me :o )

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

sallian wrote:
I couldn't post this in the appropriate section.... maybe I have restrictions imposed on me :o

Amputation, at the elbows, would seem far more befitting.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:51 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:
I couldn't post this in the appropriate section.... maybe I have restrictions imposed on me :o

Amputation, at the elbows, would seem far more befitting.

Barbaric and brutal! :shock:

Just suspend me some pocket money... would be more fitting ...or make me miss an episode of the Twilight zone

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 pm

sallian wrote:Andrew Johnson hasn't got a club....he is 33 and is one of most clinical strikers I have ever seen

(I couldn't post this in the appropriate section.... maybe I have restrictions imposed on me :o )

You posted it in the "appropriate section at 8.37pm, and this post of yours appeared at 9.27pm.

There are no restrictions placed on you, so you can stop being paranoid. :roll:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 pm

cookyskid wrote:Yep - fed up of talk of "relegation mire" after 4 games :roll:

Well, we certainly aint in the 4 wins after four matches category are we?
A challenge for the play off places somewhat flat at this stage don't you think?
One goal in four matches, we are certainly tearing up the turf aye we!

Accrington Stanley form, from a squad that is good on paper, but a pauper on the pitch.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:

Just tell me squire, what is exciting you about our start to the season?
Are you to be counted in the minority of folk who think 'we can turn this around'?
Or who think we actually WILL sign a 'striker'?

:?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Draw away at a fancied club... new players settling in... 4 games, two draws, one win in the cup and a loss to a team who were Championship last year.

Relegation I reckon.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 am

Good point away and we could have it won it. Us Walsall fans are so starved of excitement at the moment though, 14 goals in 22 league games really is awful. For all the talk of 'good football' we are such a dull side to watch.

All of the defence played well and both Morris and Flannagan impressed me with their confidence when they came on.

The biggest question mark for me was Grimes. What is this guy exactly supposed to offer? Deano hailed him as an amazing finisher, but has played him out wide and now in the No.10 position. He's not really creative and has fluffed all his chances so far. Unless he's going to play upfront, I'm not really sure why he's on the pitch.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 am

pumajaguar wrote:Good point away and we could have it won it. Us Walsall fans are so starved of excitement at the moment though, 14 goals in 22 league games really is awful. For all the talk of 'good football' we are such a dull side to watch.

All of the defence played well and both Morris and Flannagan impressed me with their confidence when they came on.

The biggest question mark for me was Grimes. What is this guy exactly supposed to offer? Deano hailed him as an amazing finisher, but has played him out wide and now in the No.10 position. He's not really creative and has fluffed all his chances so far. Unless he's going to play upfront, I'm not really sure why he's on the pitch.

I agree. Surely it makes sense to give 442 a go with Grimes playing alongside Bradshaw?

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:31 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
cookyskid wrote:Yep - fed up of talk of "relegation mire" after 4 games :roll:

Well, we certainly aint in the 4 wins after four matches category are we?
A challenge for the play off places somewhat flat at this stage don't you think?
One goal in four matches, we are certainly tearing up the turf aye we!

Accrington Stanley form, from a squad that is good on paper, but a pauper on the pitch.

You clearly misunderstood my point. Only an idiot could pretend that we have made a good start, but it's is much too early to talk about relegation or play-off challenges at this stage, for any team in this Division. We are no more in the "relegation mire" with our 3 points from 4 games than, say, Barnsley are making a "play-off challenge" with their 7. I'll reserve judgement until (a) I've seen them play (Scunthorpe on Saturday) and (b) we have at least seen September out.

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Are you to be counted in the minority of folk who think 'we can turn this around'?

Well, i was pretty worried before going to Port Vale and only decided to go last minute (due to cost and travel - i now live in Gateshead) but came away more than happy with that performance. From the few games we have had this season there has only been one really dire performance against Yeovil judging by all accounts. You made a comment at the start of this thread waxing lyrical about their forward line and that it will be tough not to concede - i dont know if you noticed but all those great forwards failed to score as well.
Also on the orients website there is a thread about how they want to sign the "walsall's number 9" and another stating it was embarrassing to see them outplayed in the second half so we can't be that bad.

Yes, i'm concerned about the lack of goals and I'd love us to sign a striker and I'm certain Deano does as well but you appear to take pleasure in telling us all that we don't score a lot.

As if the rest of us hadn't noticed....

Never mind Palace, next weekend against Scunthorpe is the real test - we really need to get a result and i'll be there HOPING to see us score - and i presume you'll be there GLAD if we don't.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:Good point away and we could have it won it. Us Walsall fans are so starved of excitement at the moment though, 14 goals in 22 league games really is awful. For all the talk of 'good football' we are such a dull side to watch.

I agree. Surely it makes sense to give 442 a go with Grimes playing alongside Bradshaw?

442 doesn't go with our passing style. I don't think it would work and would be a backward step.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:02 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Well, i was pretty worried before going to Port Vale and only decided to go last minute (due to cost and travel - i now live in Gateshead) but came away more than happy with that performance. From the few games we have had this season there has only been one really dire performance against Yeovil judging by all accounts. You made a comment at the start of this thread waxing lyrical about their forward line and that it will be tough not to concede - i dont know if you noticed but all those great forwards failed to score as well.
Also on the orients website there is a thread about how they want to sign the "walsall's number 9" and another stating it was embarrassing to see them outplayed in the second half so we can't be that bad.

Yes, i'm concerned about the lack of goals and I'd love us to sign a striker and I'm certain Deano does as well but you appear to take pleasure in telling us all that we don't score a lot.

As if the rest of us hadn't noticed....

Never mind Palace, next weekend against Scunthorpe is the real test - we really need to get a result and i'll be there HOPING to see us score - and i presume you'll be there GLAD if we don't.

Totally understand and agree with your comments, and yes I WILL be there on Saturday, hoping that we will at last begin to understand that putting the ball in the back of the net is what footy is all about!
I am a ref so I DO know about the game! I've been watching the Saddlers for well over 55 years, but the 'nonsense' I originally referred to is about the managements current total disregard of the clubs problems. We cannot score, this has been a misfortune at the club for about 3/4 years, but we stubbornly refuse to 'see' or accept, that there is a problem! I do believe that the current blathering from Deano about signing striker is just stonewalling to keep the punters happy ( :lol: )
I would love us to start scoring and climb the league, but, if we cant, we wont!

Up the Saddlers for ever!

SWS1

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:27 pm

The good news. :D
TheSwift wrote:Although we are creating more chances and having more shots which is pleasing. :D

The bad news
We ain't scored with any of them. :(

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season