Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town - League One (H) Tuesday 19th August 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town - League One (H) Tuesday 19th August 7.45pm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:50 am

I wonder if we'll waste another quarter/third of the season until the penny drops again for the management?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:02 am

Just a word of encouragement.....16 shots against an ex championship club....not all on target obviously, but while you are making chances there is always hope.Its when you stop making chances that you need to start worrying.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am

Oh how I wish the second half hadn't have finished when it did - we were on top and looked like scoring. There are some positives in there like Bradshaw (proper number 9 who actually moves like a striker), Clifford (not fully fit yet but a real gem in there), Kinsella (really promising after a couple of early mistakes), but there are also plenty of worries.

Sawyers form is awful and now he's a boo boy for the idiots i'm guessing it is a downward spiral now for him. His problem is that he thinks he has alot more time than he has and so he'll do a nice touch and then mess around on the next touch. Grimes runs around alot but doesn't offer much. Holden, while i'm not blaming him for anything, is not more than a sub. Benning, again should be a sub at best and there is a general lack of cohesion in the way the team plays.

A decent player behind/along Bradshaw is a must. He could bang goals in of we get a partner who he clicks with. Centre half is needed, regardless of whether Deano thinks J.Chambers is great or not and it needs to be a Butler style player. Personally i'd love to see Clifford, Mantom and A.Chambers in midfield - I think that would give real quality and let one of Mantom or Clifford push on, but you'd have to sacrifice an attacking player for that.

There are good players to come back and hopefully Deano will strengthen. I know he's got a boner for forwards but my priority for this team would be a centre half without doubt and then a powerful forward next. If our next signing is another, 5 foot, not a midfielder-not a winger-not a forward type then i'll not be happy.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 am

The formation doesn't work with the players we have

We need to play 2 up front

Both our wingers aren't wingers

We need Wingers

A striker who can hold the ball up to play off bradshaw is required

We need a centre half

Sawyers needs taking out of the firing line

We need a player who is direct, no one even trys to beat a man

We need a plan B

We need some height in a team

Our corners lead to counter attacks

I'd rather not have corners

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 am

saddlerJP wrote:The formation doesn't work with the players we have

We need to play 2 up front

Both our wingers aren't wingers

We need Wingers

A striker who can hold the ball up to play off bradshaw is required

We need a centre half

Sawyers needs taking out of the firing line

We need a player who is direct, no one even trys to beat a man

We need a plan B

We need some height in a team

Our corners lead to counter attacks

I'd rather not have corners

Although we did score from a corner last night. :shock:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 am

Not too much to shout about really, was there?

I can't quite make my mind up as to whether Yeovil were better than their previous results would indicate or that we were utter cack.

MoM for me was Andy Taylor. OK, he did cock up the odd cross, but he is a Full-back for heaven's sake.

Also what annoyed me somewhat, was the tendency to take free kicks quickly, almost to the point were they might just as we'll have given the ball straight back to the opposition.

Kinsella has a promising future ahead of him that's for sure, and I'd like to see him in Central midfield.

I'm keeping an open mind about Clifford. I thought he got in the way of Chambers a few times last night. Perhaps the Sam Mantom role is not for him?

Morris looked good when he came on and so did Forde and Bakayoko. The latter I thought should have earned us a penalty in the dying minutes when it looked like he was barged off the ball when in space in the box. The Ref. probably bottled it, as to have given it he would then have had to send off the culprit.

Possession football is all about denying opportunities to the opposition and carving out good goal scoring opportunities for you. However, passing for the sake of it, without what appears to be a plan, ain't possession football - it's a fudge shambles.
Last edited by Leatherman on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am

Not sure what all this talk of Bradshaw being a class act, or a really great signing is.

He looked "ok", nothing more. Certainly not a class act.

He runs hard and works hard - granted - but he's not got the pace or strength to trouble many defenders at this level. His opportunities last night came about due to mistakes. Every other time he was through he got beaten for pace.

He's a decent little player, he's better than Hewitt but not a patch on a Will Grigg for holding up the ball, or the Julian Joachim style striker we need to stretch defences with pace.

It was a poor performance last night, Yeovil were there for the taking. Combined with the end of last season, smith is presiding over relegation form - let's see if he can change things for the better.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:05 am

sallian wrote:Put Grimes central and advanced with Bradshaw.....Dean Smith stop turning football into a matter of FORMATION DOGMA

You can't have FIXED PHILOSOPHY and CERTAIN BELIEFS about formations that are not working

Or imposing a system on players who consistently come up short on applying it....maybe the system is wrong

Leave out SAWYERS PERMANENTLY...he is an illusion, the characteristics which makes him stylistically pleasing, partially and occasionally effective are the same qualities that make him regularly UNRELIABLE and DETRIMENTAL...unless there is a transformation of his style...therefore...BAXENDALE is better or one or two others.

TARGET PRACTISE is STILL an ISSUE...... 500 shots a day for three weeks "I must shoot on target"

I am revising my psychological affirmation advice to the strikers.... No longer "I must score five goals every match" but

"I MUST SCORE FIVE GOALS EVERY HALF" this is much better than the celebratory, congratulatory...double page spread in the Express and Star for the Walsall player who scored a goal for the first time in a few months

Dean SMith "I am very pleased for him....he scored a goal" Yes we celebrate scoring a single goal, Newspaper articles get dedicated to one of our strikers scoring one goal.....

If this doesn't tell us there is something wrong with the attacking ambitions of the management, then nothing will.

Other normal teams in the real world of acceptable football have newpapers articles on routing a team, a player scoring a hatrick, a player scoring 25 in a season, winning a cup, finishing in the play offs...that sort of thing.....

but us... we score a goal...and its like we won the FA Cup....

The Express and Star is in collusion with Club ownership to subliminally influence us into having a high tolerance of goal famine

Express and Star eh? I didn't think they delivered were you live. Otherwise you'd have little excuse for not attending matches.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am

Although we did score from a corner last night. :shock:

We had a corner on 72, they scored on 73. Point Proved :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:42 am

Their second goal is atrocious defending. And goalkeeping.

The first goal he had enough time to make a cup of tea before heading it in.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm

sid swifty wrote:while you are making chances there is always hope.Its when you stop making chances that you need to start worrying.

Ahh, that old cliché.

I would be inclined to agree, but the chances we're creating are hardly gilt-edged. Grimes had a snapshot well saved, Sawyers missed a chance when he was probably too wide to have ever had a realistic chance of scoring, and everything else was a half chance at best. Sawyers, Benning, and Grimes have all looked terrified of venturing into the box since the season started, and it's costing us big time.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I would be inclined to agree, but the chances we're creating are hardly gilt-edged. Grimes had a snapshot well saved, Sawyers missed a chance when he was probably too wide to have ever had a realistic chance of scoring, and everything else was a half chance at best. Sawyers, Benning, and Grimes have all looked terrified of venturing into the box since the season started, and it's costing us big time.

Yet that was the problem last season, different personnel, same problems.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Very frustrating match last night and it's stirred up the debate on here!

A few things:

Yeovil weren't a bad side and didn't look like a team with confidence issues. When they were 2-1 up they were pushing for a third and attacked quite swiftly and in numbers and looked much more of a danger then Bradford ever did last Saturday.

Possession football - fine and better than route one dirge but 2 problems: too much looking to pass the ball backwards (Chambers especially) and then around the box lots of sideways passes and lack of movement or cutting edge in the final third and players willing to take on defenders - in fact Taylor, ironically is probably is our best player at getting past a man and crossing the ball.

We need some pace and creativity (things we miss from not having a Brandy, Lalkovic, Paterson type player).

Our midfield looks cluttered. I am not sure I can work out who is playing where. We have Chambers and Clifford in the centre plus Sawyers and Grimes who seem to play in and around the centre a lot too. Neither Sawyers or Grimes are wingers so we end up with 4 players operating around the centre of the midfield where we need 2 or maybe 3 max: in the middle I would have Clifford and Mantom or Clifford and Baxendale for me, until Chambers gets his form back.

What is Grimes' role? Is he a striker or a just sit behind the No 9 type of player?. He has something about him but hasn't added much to the team from what I have seen so far.

Sawyers - a lot has been said. Woeful miss last night and his sticking out a boot to try flicks routines (at least 3 or 4 of these) all failed to come off. I am not one of those "boo boys" but was relieved he got subbed. Should have gone off after 50-55 mins really. Bad day at the office but he hasn't had a really good day at the office for months, from what I have seen. Not good for some fans to cheer loudly and ironically when he got subbed but I bet most were thinking "thank **** he's been taken off" and should have happened early in 2nd half.

The bloke on WM comparing him to Merson in his ability to change a game!! Are you serious?

Holden - not as bad as some make out and was actually doing a lot of talking / encouraging to those around him.

Bradshaw had a decent game and Kinsella again did.

Not seen enough of Forde yet but I would start with him on Saturday.

I think attention needs to be given to who and what formation the 6 midfield/forwards should be.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I wonder if Smith will ever try changing formation again. He seems absolutely set on playing 3 behind Bradshaw and a number 10 when it's obvious we would look better with 2 forwards. If I was smith I would consider playing a 4-3-3 when cook is fully fit, especially if we sign Milan or someone of his ilk.
That way we could fit Mantom - Clifford - Chambers all together and it would give Bax/Kinsella a more full time role from the bench. It would also provide some width and give us more men in the box at the same time.

For everyone that's getting on Sawyers back, opposition fans think he is our best and most likely player to create. I can't help but think that Smith has built another squad with too many players in one position and then others playing a square peg in a round hole kind of role. Whether Smith was handed another turd budget and believes he is doing his best, I'm not sure. Some big mistakes were made..

1) Signing sick note O'Connor so that we could put James Chambers to centre back and avoid having to bring a proper recognised and well paid centre half in. Chambers doesn't have the best injury record anyway and O'Connor has barely played for years. That's left us with Holden and Kinsella. Holden is finished as a pro footballer at league one level and has been for about 3 years. Cheapskate bullshine.

2) Not signing wingers - Instead we have started the season with a forward playing wide who offers nothing, including no tracking back apart from when he feels like picking up a yellow card. All that despite saying he's one of the best natural finishers he has ever seen. On the other side we have a left back convert who whilst doing okay offers no natural width and just doesn't bring anything a winger should other than tracking back and defensive duties.

They bring issues in the tactical department......

1) We look narrow - which means every single attack has to come through Sawyers, who is clearly low on confidence and suffering from a lack of support around him. I honestly don't think Bax will help us out either, he's so weak and small I just don't see what he will offer us other than perhaps a long range shot. So no width, no proper wingers, a number 10 who is clearly very low on form and confidence who is now being abused by his own fans despite being 22? So we have no natural width and our key central player is so out of form he's useless.

2) Both Flanks look exposed - We have two left backs playing down the left and a number 10/forward playing out wide right who is offering our central midfield right back absolutely no protection and for it, we look leaky at the back.

Then you have injuries, once you mix that with whatever else is going on you would say Smith has a tough job. As far as I'm concerned O'Connor, Grimes, Holden, Benning, Baxendale and Morris are squad players at the very best and most of them shouldn't get more than sub appearances. That's not to say they are all horrendous I just don't feel they fit or haven't found form yet to perform on a consistent basis at league one standard yet.

Someone above mentioned Brandy - Westcarr - Milan and whether we had improved. Well Bradshaw offers more all round than Westcarr but neither winger has been remotely replaced. We have players shoe-horned there. So the answer is no, we haven't replaced them. I think we need a Manset style forward to play off Bradshaw, a proper right winger and a proper Butler replacement. We also need Cook, Mantom and Chambers fit quickly.

Lastly a message to Deano...

1) Please consider playing 2 forwards, especially at home.
2) Please sign proper wingers and don't play bit part players in positions they aren't suited.
3) Sign someone who offers something from set pieces.
4) Ask the players to not only shoot more but pass it quicker.

My XI

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
New Cb
Taylor

Cook
Mantom
Clifford
New Winger

Bradshaw
New forward

Or Alternatively

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
New Cb
Taylor

Mantom
Clifford
Chambers

Cook
Bradshaw
New forward/winger

I just wanted to say that I'm nothing like on smith's back, much the opposite. But I just feel that cracks are showing now and we need to show some more versatility in tactic/formation and personnel,. Once everyone is fit and the squad is complete then I believe we are more than good enough to finish out of the bottom 6-8 but until then Smith needs a rethink on how we go about scoring enough goals to win games.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 pm

I think thinking about implementing the Diamond that Deano toyed around with in pre-season for home games should be used. Chambers or Mantom anchoring it. This allows Dean to play two up front which we all want, but also keep his beloved number 10 as well as the two wingers. At home we press up higher and teams sit back, meaning we don't need so many bodes in midfield as we do at the moment with 3 of them. But another up top next to Bradshaw gives the defenders one more thing to think about, our players one more target to pass to in the area as well as more men when we break.

For me, my number 1 starting 11 at home would be.

-------------O'Donnell---------------
Purkiss--Downing--J Chambers--Taylor
-------------A Chambers-------------
Cook----------------------------Forde
----------------Grimes---------------
--------Bradshaw---New Striker-------

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:If we had a player like James Hayter or jamie cuerton we would have won that game but I know for a fact people on here would be going mad saying there to old blah blah blah but I can guarantee one thing these old has been strikers will be punishing us for various teams all season while we have forwards that would struggle in the conference to score.

Cureton's scored one in three, Hayter's scored one in three, Bradshaw's scored two in three, but let's not let the facts get in the way I guess.

Facts will speak for themselves at the end of the season i watch enough football to know bradshaw and grimes won't score near enough goals this season they haven't before so they damn well won't in a walsall team the way we set up to play. Heskey and Phillips up front everyone on here goes mad no no we can't sign them has beens. bradshaw and cook oh well let's give them a chance they have never done anything it there whole careers and will probably end up at Tamworth in 3 yrs but hey who cares :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Absolute garbage - Stubborn Smith has learned absolutely nothing from the past three seasons. Terrible tactics - ie none, awful team selection, pointless substitutions and utterly dismal pitchside comments.
Why do 3rd division footballers think that every time we get a free kick just outside the penalty area there should be a 5 minute debate before one of the idiots then predictably hoofs the ball into the atmosphere at least 5 metres wide or high of the goal? They are 3rd division footballers for a reason, not Premiership, world class or even Championship footballers who might score perhaps 1 in 5 times at best. Utterly pointless including their mock shock at not even forcing a save from the goalkeeper or missing the target by at least 5 metres. Why does our manager persist with this option or is he just an idiot?

2 wins in 22 games, SMITH OUT - PERIOD

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Tracker34 wrote:5) Bradshaw another one - looks very promising - great running and work rate and from the goals at Vale and today he looks good in the box, but the system isn't helping him. When long balls are pumped forward the best he can do is head on to the keeper or a few feet up in the air. When he gets it far out he doesn't have the support to lay it off too and doesn't appear strong enough to take players on. Looks a great potential, but maybe better with a Grimes or Bakayoko up there with him.

My thoughts exactly. What's the point in playing long balls up to him - which I thought he dealt with as well as he could in the circumstances - if the best we can hope for is a nod backwards to an oncoming midfielder. No one was making a run to receive a potential flick on.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:I think thinking about implementing the Diamond that Deano toyed around with in pre-season for home games should be used. Chambers or Mantom anchoring it. This allows Dean to play two up front which we all want, but also keep his beloved number 10 as well as the two wingers. At home we press up higher and teams sit back, meaning we don't need so many bodes in midfield as we do at the moment with 3 of them. But another up top next to Bradshaw gives the defenders one more thing to think about, our players one more target to pass to in the area as well as more men when we break.

For me, my number 1 starting 11 at home would be.

-------------O'Donnell---------------
Purkiss--Downing--J Chambers--Taylor
-------------A Chambers-------------
Cook----------------------------Forde
----------------Grimes---------------
--------Bradshaw---New Striker-------

Good post jonny Owen. I think we need to do something at home to make us more threatening up front too

It won't happen, but I'd be interested to see how a 3-4-1-2 formation like van gaal is trying at Man U would work, this would give us more presence up front.

Or of course it be a total night mare with other teams finding too much space in our defence.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 pm

We won't play with a midfield diamond now we've signed Clifford as Smith clearly wants to play a system where two of Chambers, Mantom & Clifford are in the side.

The next step needs to be binning off the dross. Benning might have shown flashes in pre-season, but he doesn't have the quality to threaten in that position. Same goes for Grimes - we're carrying both of them. The problem is, til Cook's fit, we can only replace one of them. Forde needs to start on Saturday for me, and I'd be tempted to play Baxendale in Sawyers's place too.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Failure to replace butler adequately will cost us big time

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Butler is a loss, Lalkovic is a loss....Brandy is not a loss

Walsall should try a 6-5-0-0 formation.....that doesn't means five defenders...five midfield

it means 5 men + the GK standing on the goal line for the whole match and five defenders...no midfielders and no strikers

and in last 5 minutes send three players forward...it will create chaos

or 11-0-0-0 formation...all men standing on the goal line and get really fat and tall players....the opposition will never score...do it every match...at least will go down not conceding...better to master simple tactics first before they try formations where they don't know whether they are meant to stand

The most radical formation though is 0-3-5-3.....the goalkeeper just plays as a normal defender out of goal....it give the team an extra man in defence or midfield...this is not so high risk as it seems, as often an opposing team will manage only 2 or 3 shots on target....so as long as Walsall score 4+ its easy...they win most games in the season then with the extra man

There is one more trick too.... the team start with 11 but at half time....a player comes out with a long shirt on hiding the teammate whose shoulders he is sitting on...this gives him a 3 foot height advantage on corners and free kicks

Whoever doesn't agree with any of these tactics and formations clearly doesn't know anything about football and deserves to see their team lose

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 pm

sallian wrote:The most radical formation though is 0-3-5-3.....the goalkeeper just plays as a normal defender out of goal....it give the team an extra man in defence or midfield...this is not so high risk as it seems, as often an opposing team will manage only 2 or 3 shots on target....so as long as Walsall score 4+ its easy...they win most games in the season then with the extra man

Do you not think the opposing team might try to score some screamers from far back with no goalie. Also, there is a weak spot in defence as a goalkeeper isnt exactly the best at being a normal defender.

Plus with Walsall, an extra man will probably mean nothing.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 pm

TheSwift wrote:
sallian wrote:The most radical formation though is 0-3-5-3.....the goalkeeper just plays as a normal defender out of goal....it give the team an extra man in defence or midfield...this is not so high risk as it seems, as often an opposing team will manage only 2 or 3 shots on target....so as long as Walsall score 4+ its easy...they win most games in the season then with the extra man

Do you not think the opposing team might try to score some screamers from far back with no goalie. Also, there is a weak spot in defence as a goalkeeper isnt exactly the best at being a normal defender.

Plus with Walsall, an extra man will probably mean nothing.

Yes true....but remeber everytime they miss Walsall have a chance to score direct from the goal kick...and if they score from there the other team might start getting psychological problems....mass on pitch suicides and nervous breakdowns even.....they might turn on one another in recriminations

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:40 am

Who is it, that hasn't been administered his medication, again, today ?

Are you on the run from "that place", Salian, or just on day release ? And what have you done with your carer ?

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 am

gerryhatrick wrote:Who is it, that hasn't been administered his medication, again, today ?

Are you on the run from "that place", Salian, or just on day release ? And what have you done with your carer ?

I don't trust their medicine it's all for profit and they want to keep my mind numb. According to clinical definitions I have several mental illnesses but I don't agree with their classification of 'normal'

I think the crazier people are outside the institution...I trust the patients on the inside more. I have let down all my various carers so I think they don't care anymore.

But one crazy thing is to play one striker when we need to and another crazy thing is this:-

"He is the best finisher I've seen...." thus.... "I will stick him out on the wing where he will get less opportunities" (unless he is such a good finisher that he doesn't have to shoot from positions where you would normally have a chance of scoring from)

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 am

I can't help but think Danny Webber would have been the person we need as the second striker, every one is calling for, up front with Bradshaw.

While he didn't score in how many games... The media have stated this is why smith let him go. His hold up play, willing to run at and around players would have been perfect.

He could have received the long balls we keep sending to Bradshaw then sent Bradshaw on his way goalwards.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 am

Bigmoylan wrote:I can't help but think Danny Webber would have been the person we need as the second striker, every one is calling for, up front with Bradshaw.

While he didn't score in how many games... The media have stated this is why smith let him go. His hold up play, willing to run at and around players would have been perfect.

He could have received the long balls we keep sending to Bradshaw then sent Bradshaw on his way goalwards.

But arguably, so could Grimes, so could Sawyers, so could Baxendale. To play that way, you'd have to change our formation, which is something Smith's been reluctant to do for over a year.

You've missed the point if you think signing Danny Webber would have made a major difference.

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:49 am

I haven't missed the point.

Just if things were to change the way every one is calling for (two up front) then I personally think webber would have been, out all the players we've seen this season, the best for that role.

None of the players you have mentioned would ever dare to run at a player so, in my opinion, they wouldn't be the best option. This doesn't mean i don't like any if players you said btw.

SWS1

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:I was there. Players simply not good enough
Good players left. Far inferior ones bought in
Smith needs 2 sign at least 2 PROVEN players at this level
One definitely being a centre half. The other a striker

I'll ask again, would the experienced Alan Tate (superfluous at Swansea) be a decent medium-term solution to the dominant centre back problem?

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season