Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City - League One (H) August 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Bradford City - League One (H) August 16th, 3pm

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:... just someone who'd probably push his granny to get a goal, just a ruthless finisher which I don't really see from this group of forwards...

That can perhaps be solved by a bit more work on the psychology of the forward players....making them more motivated, determined, driven, ambitious for goals....

and on the tactical level (more shots, more confidence, more directness, more seeking the opportunistic run)

and by playing two rather than one

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 am

You can liken our performances to that of a lad in a night club. We all know someone who has the looks, charisma and charm, yet fails to get the girl in the taxi home. And yes, I'm that person, without the looks, charisma and charm!!

We defended really sensibly, realising we couldn't compete with Hanson, we concentrated on winning the second ball. Chambers and Clifford broke up play really well, just wish they would look for a more positive ball more often. Smith will have a real dilemma when Mantom is fit. Grimes looks lively, would like to see him played more centrally though. Benning was quiet today, which is to be expected from a young player learning a new position. Sawyers kept the ball well, sometimes I'd like to see him pull the trigger rather than choose the safer option. Bradshaw made some great runs, reminds me a lot of Grigg with his movement and showed good technique with a volly over the shoulder in the first half.

We just lack that ability to change it from the bench, everything is like for like. If we had a Hanson in our ranks I think we would have win the game. Lets see what Smith can do before the window closes.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:56 am

Rather pleased with the start to our season. The lads all have ability seem to be gelling very well and have the right attitude. As been said we just need to be more ruthless and shoot a bit more. However Bradford very good at getting men behind the ball . They and Vale will be up there so we are competing well. Would have given Bax a last ten mins today for Sawyers just to see if something came off.
Happy with defence unless we get injuries at the same time and the midfield has lots of competition just lack one more player up front that could make all the difference to our campaign but I'm convinced it all hangs on the Deeney situation. Special mention for Kinsella what a future star clearly been brought up the right footballing way as you would expect. Dreading the jan transfer window now !!
Yeovil must be put to the sword Tuesday not only for our points tally but to give the players added belief .
Up the Saddlers forever

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:37 am

I thought we played very well yesterday against a side who are pretty decent at our level. We might not have scored, but I think it's a bit harsh to criticise the team for being the same as last season when the movement up front was ten times better than it was 12 months ago.

Kinsella was a revelation at right back - he was one of our best attacking threats in the first half and looked like he'd been playing there a good few years. The fact that he beat Hanson in their air shows how much bottle he's got too. Definitely needs to be kept in the side for Tuesday.

Likewise, Clifford looks a real find and ran the game at times. He was absolutely shattered after an hour and Smith probably should have taken him off to save a few sloppy passes putting our back four under pressure, but all in all, what a great full debut.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a major weakness, but I don't think we've quite got things right in the wide positions. Benning wants to hog the touchline, which is the opposite of what you need when you're only playing one up front, and his service into the box doesn't tend to be up to much. On the other side, Grimes looks a bit more threatening but all too often he & Sawyers are practically treading on eachothers' toes. I'd like to think Forde & Cook will help us become a bit more direct in those positions but time will tell I suppose. Forde created the best chance of the game when he came on, which we could do with a bit more of.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:44 am

Happy with that result. Unbeaten, potential coming into the squad, and some early signs of decent signings, again, for the season. Again, looks like we're missing that goal poacher, but again, we haven't the money so we'll have to think, if I'm allowed to paraphrase Ernest Rutherford on here...

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Another game where I think not signing Manset or a player of similar ilk will be the difference between 1 point and 3. Arsenal play the way we do and yesterday they struggled to a 2-1 win, not because there football won it but because they also had a set piece threat - to which we don't. Until that is rectified that we will always look just short in front of goal whenever a team plays us and doesn't let us counter them (most teams wont at home). As I said until a plan B or a slight tweak in tactic happens, we will always slightly flatter to deceive and ultimately fall short of any play-off hops IMO.

Quietly pleased with the opening to the season, I just hope Yeovil at home Tuesday doesn't turn into that 'typical Walsall' kind of game.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

I don't think we looked as shaky at the back as I was expecting today, Kinsella played a blinder against a seasoned player in Hanson and an awfully akward player to defend against with his stature. Hope Holden goes through the back end of sawyers in training to show the kid he isn't made of glass, I think we'll look better with cook wide on the right to give us natural width and hopefully be more positive in good areas, Bradshaw put a good shift in looks a good player, grimes needs to play uptop he's wasted on the wing an offers the RB no protection at all.

We really need a win on Tuesday and I'm positive we'll turn them over

SWS1

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:27 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:. However Bradford very good at getting men behind the ball . They and Vale will be up there so we are competing well. Up the Saddlers forever

You might be right about Bratford getting people back behind the ball, but my expert informant at the game opined that the main reason for that is that we had a tendency to get into the final third efficiently, but then look for a pass or two rather than quickly pressing home the attack. Gave the opposition time to get back behind the faux-leather roundy thing....
If that is true, the management ought to be able to coach it out of them :D

(If only life were so simple :roll: )

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Good performance, on another day we would've taken all three points.

There are some glaring weaknesses in the squad. The right hand side being one of them. Grimes isn't a winger and it shows. He's always inside leaving us with no out ball on the right, bar Kinsella who would then be isolated and no protection in front on the fullback. Kinsella was very impressive, especially considering he was playing out of position.

Also, I know Benning is adapting to being a winger but he isn't direct enough. Needs to take his man on and get the ball in rather than waiting for Taylor to overlap. He used to do it from fullback so there shouldn't be any reason he can't from the wing as he has a decent turn of pace.

Bradshaw looks like a decent prospect but he was isolated. Several times he won a flick on and every time there was no one running beyond him to try and get on the end of him. Also, he makes rather intelligent runs but these all too often get ignored. Only one was picked up on when Clifford played him through for the volley over his shoulder.

As for Clifford, he was superb. I can see Mantom struggling to get back into the team if Clifford keeps it up. He's a class above most. He did tire towards the end so I think he may not be fully fit yet but that will come given a few weeks.

J.Chambers was my MOTM. I will admit that I was concerned with him playing centre half but so far he's done nothing but prove my doubts wrong. He was fantastic both in the air and on the ground. Him and Downing look comfortable together and are both good on the ball which helps our style. I hope he isn't out for too long with this injury.

Oh and a special mention to the referee who seemed to leave his cards in the changing room. Couldn't believe how many tackles he let Bradford get away with which were more than deserving of a booking!

Overall, many positives from the performance. Disappointed we couldn't nick a win but still unbeaten. I think we just need to be a bit more direct in the final third rather than just knocking it across the edge of the box constantly. Playing with two wingers rather than one would help. Forde looked right footed so may be he could start on the right against Yeovil.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season