Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend Utd (A) Capital One Cup, Tues 12th August 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Southend Utd (A) Capital One Cup, Tues 12th August 7.45

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Speaking of ex-Saddlers, Reuben Reid scored two for Plymouth Argyle tonight :shock:

I never heard of him, can only remember Reuben Agboola....of Sunderland

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

We play League 2 opposition away and win by the odd goal in 90 minutes

Dingles play League 2 opposition at home and lose by the odd goal in 90 minutes

Can life be any more wonderful today :lol: :lol:

Don't care how well or badly we played. Cups are all about a result and staying in the hat

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 pm

goalfest at Dagenham...Brentford match, 5-5....Cureton....he's still scoring all those years after the Millenium....stadium

ws9swift

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Good to see the young lads chipping in with goals. Thought Deano would have given mcgillivay a shot in goal 2nigt though.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Speaking of ex-Saddlers, Reuben Reid scored two for Plymouth Argyle tonight :shock:

Reid played for us 2010-11........ 21 appearances and 6 goals. Do try and keep up. :wink:

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Dagenham 6 - 5 Brentford

Hemmings with his second

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

Reid played for us 2010-11........ 21 appearances and 6 goals. Do try and keep up. :wink:

Remember him scoring against us for Yeovil during that infamous winless run in 12/13 to make it 2-2.

Twelthofapenny
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:26 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Will we hear the first Jackett out call.

"AHHH HE'S GORRA GEW, FRANKSIE"

He'sGorraGew

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Twelthofapenny wrote:

Yes?

Twelthofapenny
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:38 pm

He'sGorraGew wrote:
Twelthofapenny wrote:

Yes?

:? :|

:lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

okay thanks...maybe its just my memory fading

hooray, hooray, hooray, hooray, hooray, yaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooo ...those are six belated cheers for his 6 goals that i missed....NOTE: the last yahoooo being an homage to the posh boy in 'The Wild Geese' when Richard Harris....gives him some good news.

[youtube]watch?v=E4AQPQWyVrg[/youtube] see it from 3:05.... but the editor chopped it short.... so its a yahooooo rather than a yaahhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooo
Last edited by sallian on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Bigmoylan wrote:Dagenham 6 - 5 Brentford

Hemmings with his second

that's more potency than he had all season for us

a bit like the great Butler who was weak with us then became fantastic...when he left us...almost terrorizing us in the play off final......then when he returned to us...we made sure we gave him no service to ruin his twilight years

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Excellent result against a very good League 2 side.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 am

He'sGorraGew wrote:
Twelthofapenny wrote:

Yes?

I've been on Molineux mix looking for a jackett out nothing so far but below is a nice one.

Old Yesterday, 21:36
Has alot to say

An absolute disgrace. We are Wolverhampton Wanderers. To play a game not caring if you win or lose is a betrayal of 140 years glorious history.

bobbyb

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 am

He'sGorraGew wrote:
Twelthofapenny wrote:

Yes?

I've been on Molineux mix looking for a jackett out nothing so far but below is a nice one.

Old Yesterday, 21:36

Quality

Wonder what Tonka (Franks`s best mate on WM) thinks

I think we should all be so grateful to our parents for us being Saddlers fans.

I have and always will despise everything about the Dingles and their six fingered fans.
Has alot to say

An absolute disgrace. We are Wolverhampton Wanderers. To play a game not caring if you win or lose is a betrayal of 140 years glorious history.

DawleyDick

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 am

Saddlers Player. I could hear the commentary in the first half but it was not available for the 2nd. I was expecting an improvement after having no commentary at all for the Port Vale match on Saturday. What a terrible service. I am canceling my subscription.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:15 am

It's a long way... To the end of that pier!
A good result which was hard work , particularly in the second half.

We looked vulnerable down our right again and if Bradford had anyone watching will look to exploit that on Saturday.

Benning's goal was nicely worked combining with Taylor for a 'tap-in' al be it off the bar. Morris's goal was a screamer and came just as I was thinking too over elaborate again after Taylor picked him out with a clever through ball.

In between, Southend looked unlucky not to get a penalty at the end of the first half and after dominating the second half saw a fine free kick scored and a terrific save from O'Donnel from a deflected shot.

Billy Clifford had a bit longer on the pitch than on Saturday and capped it with an improved performance. Morris won't be too displeased with his part either looking a sound prospect for the future.

All in all a good result that had phil Brown jumping up and down pulling his hair out, so not too bad from that point of view either.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 am

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:The kiss of D'Ath for Mordor at home to Northampton...

So could the story be that "D'Ath mauled the wolves" at molineux!!

:lol: :lol:

Dingles beaten at home by Northampton.
Elsewhere Vale have hit six at home to Hartlepool and Blues are currently holding Cambridge to a 1-1 draw at St Andrews

Shouldn't that be Jackett OFF?..... :P

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 am

Cup win? Away? I'll take that!

We'll done Deano and the lads. Good to see the academy bringing us the goals too.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:57 am

I was swapping containers at Felixstowe docks listening to BBC radio Essex,the commentators were furious the way the ref was in their opinion favouring Walsall in every department, and couldn't believe Southend didn't get a penalty just before half time.I always thought the BBC were supposed to be neutral when commentating on football games,or does that only apply to 5 live games.you could certainly feel the hate coming over the airwaves..... :o

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:13 am

Not a clue how we managed to win that.

It was a very odd performance. O'Connor was atrocious, but yet again he had no support from the winger down that right hand side. We kept playing the offside trap and their pacey forwards kept beating it, getting to O'Donnell and either firing wide or making him pull of a great save. Very much a defensive off day. Offensively we were quite good I though, good passing interplay, but again at times didn't pull the trigger when we should of and then overplayed the move by a pass. Our goal was a lovely move where Southend couldn't get the ball off us around their area, and in their attempts to get it back they left Taylor unmarked on the wing, Sawyers played a nice ball to him who whipped in an excellent LOW cross. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO MORE OF, LOW CROSSES.

The referee had a shocker as well, they should of probably had a penalty, even though I don't think it was a foul (but I haven't watched it back). We also had a goal disallowed and that was questionable as well. Second half we were under a bit more pressure, but this allowed us to counter attack more into space, and Bradshaw kept beating the defenders to clearences and through balls up the pitch to him. His decision making needs to be worked on as he found himself with 2 defenders and a goalkeeper ahead of him right on the edge of the box with reinforcements from both sides running back quite slowly, and instead of laying it off or mixing things up, each time he cut onto his right and had a shot blocked or it would go over. Looks a very handy player though, just needs some more match time.

Morris goal game from a good move, and then he just sort of hit it when he could see the goal, and it went in, a bit of a weird goal to be honest as I never expected us to score 2 let alone 1. Morris played very well when he did come on, Mal is more of a proper winger who beats full backs and crosses it where Morris looks to beat the full back and shoot across goal.

O'Donnell was immense, top keeper.

Don't think we deserved to win at all, but we did, and don't people say that is the making of a good team? :mrgreen:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:02 pm

DawleyDick wrote:Saddlers Player. I could hear the commentary in the first half but it was not available for the 2nd. I was expecting an improvement after having no commentary at all for the Port Vale match on Saturday. What a terrible service. I am canceling my subscription.

They mentioned the lack of commentary for the Vale match, a technical issue with the connections provided by Vale, and Vale staff being 'unhelpful' in supplying an alternative. We should retaliate for the home match, and confiscate the Vale commentator's cocoa-tins and hairy string.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Attendance 3146.

That's a good 1,000 more than we'd get if the game had been at the Bezla.

Yep, very decent, including 153 Saddlers.

Good following for a beast of a First Round draw

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Don't think we deserved to win at all, but we did, and don't people say that is the making of a good team? :mrgreen:

So they say. We can only hope that is the case. In my years watching Walsall, though, it usually means we're about to be found out and are soon due a hiding.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
DawleyDick wrote:Saddlers Player. I could hear the commentary in the first half but it was not available for the 2nd. I was expecting an improvement after having no commentary at all for the Port Vale match on Saturday. What a terrible service. I am canceling my subscription.

They mentioned the lack of commentary for the Vale match, a technical issue with the connections provided by Vale, and Vale staff being 'unhelpful' in supplying an alternative. We should retaliate for the home match, and confiscate the Vale commentator's cocoa-tins and hairy string.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goboQfh8 ... AH9beGN4Aw

"highlights" - just the three goals.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Judging by those highlights, all three the keepers could be at fault. Not sure if that freekick swerved but O Donnell should have saved it really.

Pleased to see two youngsters score. Whilst the keeper should have saved it, Morris had a shot and scored. The old saying goes "dont buy a ticket you cant win the raffle". Midfielders take note.

Bennings goal came from a cross too, did we even score of a cross last season? :P

Phil Brown was very complimentary of us after the game too, always nice to hear other managers praise us.

Fancy Newcastle at home in the next round.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

latviancheese wrote:Judging by those highlights, all three the keepers could be at fault. Not sure if that freekick swerved but O Donnell should have saved it really.

Pleased to see two youngsters score. Whilst the keeper should have saved it, Morris had a shot and scored. The old saying goes "dont buy a ticket you cant win the raffle". Midfielders take note.

Bennings goal came from a cross too, did we even score of a cross last season? :P

Phil Brown was very complimentary of us after the game too, always nice to hear other managers praise us.

Fancy Newcastle at home in the next round.

Southend goalkeeper certainly at fault for our winner but don't really care!! Their free kick should have been stopped by the wall, keeper had no chance.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Phil Brown spoke about the extra quality we had in the final third costing money. :lol:

SWS1

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Don't know what else he said but claiming they were the better team, should have had a penalty and should have won doesn't sound all that complimentary to Walsall's efforts. However, I shouldn't be surprised to see Southend "there or thereabouts" in Div 4 at season's end.

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season