Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale - League One (a) 9th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: Port Vale - League One (a) 9th August 3pm

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 pm

I'll take a point at Port Vale any day - particularly as I expected none.
Well done to the lads and also Exile and MMF who both predicted 1-1....

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Cully wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Sawyers was good yesterday in patches, in the patches he wasn't he was absolutely atrocious. It wasn't him laying one pass to many, he was passing to thin air, flicking it into defenders shins etc.

Its no coincidence we scored and built momentum when he kept it simple. The lad is unplayable when he is on it because no one ever knocks him off the ball, so its even more annoying when he simply gives them the ball back.

Its just irritating he seems to be immune from criticism while Baxendale, who had one of his best games yesterday for a long time, is cack, and we should bin him, apparently. :?

All about opinions ay it. Wandering about the pitch a bit with the occasional hop and a skip, making mock attempts to win the ball in the air, never winning a tackle and passing the ball 5 yards to Downing doesn't turn me on or make him an effective player. I'm not sure what role Smith Out thinks he should fulfil and my suggestion of water boy is unlikely to be adopted.
Sawyers has been roundly criticised by one and all including some idiots who think that any black skinned footballers are 'lazy'. However, and luckily for them, they will never realise how wrong they are due to the lack of brain cells.
I have been wrong in the past about players, I distinctly remember thinking that Taundry would have a decent footballing career and that Paul Merson would never wear flip flops at a match he was in charge of. Oh well I'll get over it.
:arrow:

I love Sawyers, i see how good he can be, but yesterday he was fudge dreadful for a large portion of the game. ITs not just Saturday, he has been defended before even when he was been barclays.

I see it, i see how sometimes he looks a beastly player in L1. Yesterday our best period came when he kept it simple.

He is immune from criticism from some though, FACT is he hast not been great for some time. I hope he sorts it out, and id give him the time. But anyone who blindly says he was wonderful on Saturday needs a long look at themself.

I also thought Taundry would make a good player, what do we know eh.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am

Lots of possession and very limited end product. Sometimes reminds me of watching Arsenal and Barcelona, the fact we try at times to walk the ball into the net.
Played well in second half, although for 10 minutes after we scored we seem to go quiet, but came into it again the latter stages, where there only looked one winner.
Impressed with Bradshaw, but needs a partner who he can feed off.
Clifford was class when he came on, but ex Chelsea, what do people expect... :D

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:52 am

My Take on things

O'Donnell - 5 - didn't have much to do, but a complete howler for the goal
Taylor - 7 - Standard Andy Taylor performance, a defender who's good at Defending and keeps it simple. Nearly scored in 2nd half as well
Downing - 7- Did ok, but though he looked a bit shaky at times
Chambers - 6 - didn't do much wrong, but caught out of position a few times and failed to deal with a couple of crosses
O'Connor - 5 - Looked unfit, Marshall had the beating of him every time, improved after the break
Bax - 6 - worked hard, gave the ball away a few times but did ok
Sawyers - 5- needs a rocket up his arse, token effort to challenge for headers, strolling around the pitch like it's an exhibition game and sloppy in his passing for most of the afternoon, but you know he has the magic to turn the game
A Chambers - 6 - game seemed to pass him by, didn't do anything of note either good or bad
Grimes - 8 - thought this lad had a good game, nice touches and good work rate, looks a clever player. Should of been booked for kicking out
Bradshaw - 7 -Put himself about a bit more then expected and ran the channels well. Took his goal well
Benning - 6 - Pace to burn, but was hardly in the game. Needs to get involved more. Pinched the ball and ran at the defence early, then put a cross in without looking up.

Overall, first half was familiarly frustrating, but much better in the 2nd half. Clifford looks a proper player when he came on and would put him in for Bax. I'd of took a point and we probably deserved more.

Bigmoylan
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I like Sawyers. I think, normally, if Sawyers has an off day then Walsall has an off day.

My main annoyance with Sawyers on Saturday was that he had at least 3 clear chances to get a shot off on goal from within the box and all he did was look for someone else to give the ball to in a position that they can do nothing with.

I also really like baxendale, thought he had a good game saturday and the same with Grimes, his effort and determination alone made him stand out to me... his absence infront of O'Connor did nothing for O'Connors rep at all though.

Good Start for Bradshaw too... but Lalkovic scored in his first league game...

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Bigmoylan wrote:I like Sawyers. I think, normally, if Sawyers has an off day then Walsall has an off day.

My main annoyance with Sawyers on Saturday was that he had at least 3 clear chances to get a shot off on goal from within the box and all he did was look for someone else to give the ball to in a position that they can do nothing with.

I also really like baxendale, thought he had a good game saturday and the same with Grimes, his effort and determination alone made him stand out to me... his absence infront of O'Connor did nothing for O'Connors rep at all though.

But Lalkovic's was kind of a fluke. Westcarr had his shot saved, came to Lalkovic who got the ball caught up in his feet before it fell nicely iin frontof him and all he had to do was shoot for the corner.

Bradshaw had a good game, Lalkovic didn't particularly. And it was against carp opposition (Tranmere).

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 pm

TheSwift wrote:
Bigmoylan wrote:I like Sawyers. I think, normally, if Sawyers has an off day then Walsall has an off day.

But Lalkovic's was kind of a fluke. Westcarr had his shot saved, came to Lalkovic who got the ball caught up in his feet before it fell nicely iin frontof him and all he had to do was shoot for the corner.

Bradshaw had a good game, Lalkovic didn't particularly. And it was against carp opposition (Tranmere).

If I remember right, Lalkovic passed the ball to Westcarr who couldn't control it and it came back to Lalkovic who finished with a tricky shot from under his feet into the bottom left-hand corner from just outside the box.

It was a tricky shot to pull off and an excellent finish.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Here's one Vale fans view on our away support.

Walsall fans were predictably crap, poor numbers and no noise whatsoever until they scored. Who was that fat ******* waving a Vale flag at us? I know Yam Yams are all weird but that just on another level.

:shock:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:43 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Here's one Vale fans view on our away support.

Walsall fans were predictably crap, poor numbers and no noise whatsoever until they scored. Who was that fat ******* waving a Vale flag at us? I know Yam Yams are all weird but that just on another level.

Who cares what Port Fail fans think? I remember them bringing very small followings during much of the 70's and 80's. The only reason they travel well now is because of their recent promotion after languishing in the 4th tier for 5 years.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I read that too, NSD - it made me laugh. I remember them bringing very small followings during much of the 70's and 80's. The only reason they travel well now is because of their recent promotion after languishing in the 4th tier for 5 years.

berianlowe
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Much better performance when Clifford came on. Baxendale didn't do badly but he hasn't got the kind of presence that is needed in the centre of midfield, the game seemed to pass him by. Really impressed with Grimes, wasn't afraid to have a shot and picked out a peach of a pass for the goal, which in-turn was a neat little finish from Bradshaw. As for Vale's goal, I'm still having nightmares, and I'm sure O'Donnell is too. Sawyers, has shown he has great potential, sadly Saturday wasn't one of those days, he gave the ball away sloppily too many times and his complete lack of interest in winning an header is something that Smith needs to address.

Should never scoff at a point away though, but the one thing that would make it a really good point is a win at home on Saturday.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm

berianlowe wrote:Much better performance when Clifford came on. Baxendale didn't do badly but he hasn't got the kind of presence that is needed in the centre of midfield, the game seemed to pass him by. Really impressed with Grimes, wasn't afraid to have a shot and picked out a peach of a pass for the goal, which in-turn was a neat little finish from Bradshaw. As for Vale's goal, I'm still having nightmares, and I'm sure O'Donnell is too. Sawyers, has shown he has great potential, sadly Saturday wasn't one of those days, he gave the ball away sloppily too many times and his complete lack of interest in winning an header is something that Smith needs to address.

Should never scoff at a point away though, but the one thing that would make it a really good point is a win at home on Saturday.

You're right, a win this weekend makes the point at Vale look very useful. I'm hoping that we can ditch our problems of last season, namely drawing too many and being a decent passing side but without the cutting edge to ensure enough of the draws are turned into wins.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Clifford really is a talent. Deano should give him a 2 year contract now.(why has the Dingle Ford got one,I know he has a good engine and can motor down the wing) But Clifford could be the best thing thats happened to Suffolk Life since Jamie Patterson.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 am

Football is a game full of opinions, increasingly so with the internet! It's mad how people see things so differently. Sawyers, Lalcovic's opening goal, our support :lol:

I remember one season quite recently - Graydon years I think - Vale were on the way down and had just been beaten by Canvey Island in the FA Cup. They scraped about 800 away fans and we didn't hear a peep all game - very much like them at home in the same year.

Such short memories...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Walsall fans were predictably crap, poor numbers and no noise whatsoever until they scored.

I read that, i laughed. Very bitter, probably one of the biggest away followings there this season and if that was no noise he must be deaf.

Port Vale made me feel better about our home atmospheres, it was worse than ours. You would think they would have been up for it first game and all. Oh well.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Clifford really is a talent. Deano should give him a 2 year contract now.(why has the Dingle Ford got one,I know he has a good engine and can motor down the wing) But Clifford could be the best thing thats happened to Suffolk Life since Jamie Patterson.

I did laugh. Thought that should be acknowledged!

Thank you, that was subtle, and funny.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:30 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Clifford could be the best thing thats happened to Suffolk Life since Jamie Patterson.

:lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Shares in Cypriot swimming pool companies have apparently soared.

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season