Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale - League One (a) 9th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Port Vale - League One (a) 9th August 3pm

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Well, here we are on the brink of another roller-coaster Saddlers' season. Our first game is away to the Valiants, for many years something of a local derby for us - although I still haven't worked out the logic of letting Tony Richards leave us and join Vale back in the sixties....but we'll let that pass.

There is, of course, no League form to quote - the final six games of last season are meaningless by now, so let's examine the pre-season form (shudder).....

Port Vale:

14th July Alsager (a) Won 0-8
19th July Alfreton (a) Won 1-2
21st July Plymouth Parkway (a) Won 0-4
30th July Bolton Wanderers (h) Lost 1-2
2nd August Southport (a) Lost 4-2

Walsall:

16th July Taunton Town (a) Drew 1-1
19th July Torquay Utd (a) Lost 2-1
22nd July Alfreton (a) Lost 2-0
26th July Leamington (a) Won 1-3
30th July Leicester City (h) Lost 2-3
2nd August Mansfield Town (a) Drew 0-0

Can't read too much into those fixtures, except for Alfreton being common opponents. Our preparation has certainly been knocked sideways to a degree by injuries to Mantom, Cook and possibly others. The possibility of further signings appears to be constantly just out of reach, although certain trialists seem to have made their mark.

So, no team member forecasts....let's just say that if we can come home with one point I shall be quite happy. :D

(A little P.S.....Nottingham Forest won 1-0 today against the Baggies, the goalscorer being a certain Matty Fryatt :wink: )

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Port Vale - League One (a) 9th August 3pm

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Port Vale have ex saddler Ryan McGivern these days.

I will take a point i think we will struggle without Mantom.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Can't see anything other than an opening day defeat unfortunately :(. 2-0 to Vale. Around 7,000 there with 1200 for the saddlers.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 pm

0-0.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:22 pm

(Taken from my post on another forum)

1 year ago I had never been to Vale away. Saturday will be my third visit to Burslem in a year, oh the horror.

We will definitely have a problem defensively with physicality as our defence is very mobile, but looks weak physically. Only one player in our starting eleven's defence would be over 6 foot, so Pope, if not managed well, could man handle our defence with ease.

Up front there are still questions. Hopefully Manset will sign, and if he does we will look a lot better than last season. We have a lot of injury problems, if Mantom isn't back in time, which is very likely, we will be weaker in the centre of the park. Our starting eleven could change from the midfield to attack a lot over the next week depending on who does/doesn't come in. Vale could have a lot of fun in terms of wing play down the right, and considering how they are setting up with the really wide and pacey wingers. James O'Connor our new defender will play on the right, and he seems decent, but with our two RB's from last season not able to play - this will be a good test to see how good he actually is. (Ben Purkiss is injured and James Chambers will play CB) No idea who would play on the right wing, hopefully we bring a winger in, but with Jordan Cook out with a injury it would either be at the moment Baxendale who is ineffective on the winger, or Grimes who is a forward and not someone to track back too much.

Down the left I seriously doubt we will be opened up, with Andy Taylor easily being one of the best LB's in the league, as well as it looking likely Mal Benning playing a head of him who was a LB last season but pushed up to the wing with this one. This means that we will have a lot of defensive cover down the left, and with basically two full backs playing there, I doubt many crosses would be getting in.

In central midfield we will play Adam Chambers who is brilliant should be more than a match for Michael O'Connor. Next to him will either be Clifford if we sign him, or our young up and coming midfielder Flanagan. If we play Flanagan I would worry as I think it is still a month or two too early, he is still a bit lightweight and someone like Brown or Jenning's could easily kick him out of the game. Clifford could bring a bit more in terms of experience, as he isn't as raw and has experienced this league before. If Mantom is back, we would be in excellent shape, but it looks like this could be a game too soon. Deano hinted that he could feature against Villa on Tuesday, if he does, then I would be hopeful for Vale. If he doesn't then it's either Clifford or Flanagan.

If we don't make anymore signings, I would fear for us this game, and would expect us to lose. However if we make 2 signings at least, (Manset and a central midfielder) I think it could be quite a close game.

That being said if Vale do play McGivern I wouldn't be surprised to see us score a few.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:27 pm

In central midfield we will play Adam Chambers who is brilliant should be more than a match for Michael O'Connor. Next to him will either be Clifford if we sign him, or our young up and coming midfielder Flanagan. If we play Flanagan I would worry as I think it is still a month or two too early, he is still a bit lightweight and someone like Brown or Jenning's could easily kick him out of the game.

See my posts aren't that idiotic are they. :lol:

Vale are exactly the team Walsall usually struggle again, phyiscal, sit back and defend deep and then nick a goal from a set piece, high ball.

It's interesting from the 3 games last season how they learnt from the early season carling cup defeat when Walsall were comfortably better. Hopefully Deano has learnt from the two league defeats although I fear not from the limitations in the squad.

MAsaddler

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 pm

If Port Vale come into this with an attacking mentality then im sure we will win. Defence will hold, and we will smash them on the break.

I will be there watching a 0-4 victory for the Saddlers. Grimes Hatrick, Taylor from a free kick in the 93rd Min.

OperationYesUr

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 pm

After watching endless video's of David Kelly, Grimes back-heels the equalizer for a nice, solid 2-2 draw. 2,000 Saddlers with another 1,000 piling over the back wall.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 pm

MAsaddler wrote:If Port Vale come into this with an attacking mentality then im sure we will win. Defence will hold, and we will smash them on the break.

I will be there watching a 0-4 victory for the Saddlers. Grimes Hatrick, Taylor from a free kick in the 93rd Min.

You had a particularly strong batch this weekend? Can I have some?

Never mind we all go through a recreational drug phase at some stage in our lives! :lol: :lol: :lol:
They have Pope......we have a mish mass of talentless untried forwards who are taking private lessons in the basics of football....you know, the object of the game is to put that round leathery thing between that netty thing.......really? I hear them cry....
We had a cracker in our midst, a Spaniard who knew all about this lost art............scoring goals.....
but our saviour thought that scoring goals was not the point of footy, so he let him go....meanwhile
Pope scores three towering headers against us and plops us firmly at the bottom of League 1 after the first match....then again I try some of this new batch of goodies. and I too believe we can win 4-0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MAsaddler

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:07 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
MAsaddler wrote:If Port Vale come into this with an attacking mentality then im sure we will win. Defence will hold, and we will smash them on the break.

You had a particularly strong batch this weekend? Can I have some?

Never mind we all go through a recreational drug phase at some stage in our lives! :lol: :lol: :lol:
They have Pope......we have a mish mass of talentless untried forwards who are taking private lessons in the basics of football....you know, the object of the game is to put that round leathery thing between that netty thing.......really? I hear them cry....
We had a cracker in our midst, a Spaniard who knew all about this lost art............scoring goals.....
but our saviour thought that scoring goals was not the point of footy, so he let him go....meanwhile
Pope scores three towering headers against us and plops us firmly at the bottom of League 1 after the first match....then again I try some of this new batch of goodies. and I too believe we can win 4-0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really should get a grip, who do i think i am? To believe in the team i support and feel sure of a victory, i see it now, i'm a crap Walsall fan.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 am

latviancheese wrote:Port Vale have ex saddler Ryan McGivern these days.

You watch him be class. fudge useless for us.

Also, while I accept Pope will probably destroy us, why is he considered so awesome when he scored less goals last year than Craig Westcarr?

crodonilson

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:52 am

Me and a minibus load going from Bloxwich, should be a fantastic day out with a bumper travelling audience.

1-3 for me, we're a better side than Vale and the class will show through when it matters.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 am

I just get a little bit worried when Smith says he is not worried that we are not scoring more goals. Thought the object of the exercise was to score more than the other team. :? To this end I think (not too much) that PV will win this encounter because of our managers attitude to goal scoring.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:09 am

I get worried when I read posts from people who are worried that Smith isn't worried about scoring more goals.

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm thinking we can beat Vale. If Smith is even slightly serious about aiming to finish in the playoffs then a trip to Port Vale with a bumper away crowd should be one that you would look at to pick up 3 points. That said - 0-0!

Does anyone have any info from experience on pubs around Vale? The only thing I can find online says it is near on impossible to get into anywhere apart from The Bulls Head in St John's Square.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm

We never win at Vale park in the league, much like or voodoo vs Southend/Colchester/Gillingham (Away). Our team looks crap with injuries and no Butler. Pope is one of the very few forwards who physically matched and beat Butler in the air, despite being an ugly Stoke clogger. Given we haven't replaced that, on paper we currently have a weaker and smaller back 4 that will naturally play deeper because we won't win any first headers, a weak midfield with no creativity, that's including a wide player who SHOULD play down the middle and a left back moved into a wing position and then a forward line with youngsters, a confidence lacking number 10 and a striker who barely got picked for a Shrewsbury team who were not only crap, but managed to score less than us and get relegated last season. Oh and they've signed Michael Brown, who will probably start in the centre of midfield for them, so if Flanagan/Bax play there, they will get eaten alive, especially the former.

All the makings of a very long season this.

2-0 Vale.

911 Saddlers.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I get worried when I read posts from people who are worried that Smith isn't worried about scoring more goals.

I think, therefore I am...........
You carry on with the raping & burning. I'll do the worrying.... :)

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 am

Watching Vales goals against Albion the first two were predictably from crosses and the third from a hoof forward by the keeper. Watching the blind panic in our box every time a corner/cross/set peice came in yesterday and to an extent vs lemington I just can not see us beating Vale.

At the Meet the Manager evening Smith said that he had every faith in the players we have coping with the aerial threat posed by teams in League One, as not that many teams play that way anymore. He may be correct that not as many teams 'plan A' is to get the ball into the box early. However i fear that he has failed to grasp that other teams have something called a 'plan B', normally a 6ft something brick outhouse that they can bring off the bench when needed and who will eat our defence for breakfast. I think we will at the very best have a few late goals conceded to worry about.

He was also asked about our tactics defending corners. He said that we mark semi zonal. Basically everyone marks other than a man at the front post, and then Andy Butler attacking every ball. What he failed to mention was who would be doing the Butler role this season. It seemed to be James Chambers vs Villa... We are going to get battered!

He needs to rethink this blind faith in his players and get a strong CB in who will be able to compete in the air, otherwise all of our good play going forward will be undone every set piece or cross. Matt preston looks the build to become this player but he certainly isnt ready yet.

Unfortunatley I predict a 3v1 loss.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:38 pm

My team for Vale:

O’Donnell

J.Chambers Downing Holden Taylor

A.Chambers Kinsella

Clifford Morris

Grimes
Bradshaw

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Sadders wrote:We never win at Vale park in the league, much like or voodoo vs Southend/Colchester/Gillingham (Away). Our team looks crap with injuries and no Butler. Pope is one of the very few forwards who physically matched and beat Butler in the air, despite being an ugly Stoke clogger. Given we haven't replaced that, on paper we currently have a weaker and smaller back 4 that will naturally play deeper because we won't win any first headers, a weak midfield with no creativity, that's including a wide player who SHOULD play down the middle and a left back moved into a wing position and then a forward line with youngsters, a confidence lacking number 10 and a striker who barely got picked for a Shrewsbury team who were not only crap, but managed to score less than us and get relegated last season. Oh and they've signed Michael Brown, who will probably start in the centre of midfield for them, so if Flanagan/Bax play there, they will get eaten alive, especially the former.

All the makings of a very long season this.

2-0 Vale.

911 Saddlers.

I wish the ugly Stoke clogger was in our line up. :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 pm

There will be goals.

4-4

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm

I will be attending along with the other hopefuls.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm

A 2-0 defeat, in front of 6,280, including 943 of ours.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A 2-0 defeat, in front of 6,280, including 943 of ours.

i'm gewin wi me mam. Un I'm 62 :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 am

LancsSaddler wrote:Watching Vales goals against Albion the first two were predictably from crosses and the third from a hoof forward by the keeper. Watching the blind panic in our box every time a corner/cross/set peice came in yesterday and to an extent vs lemington I just can not see us beating Vale.

At the Meet the Manager evening Smith said that he had every faith in the players we have coping with the aerial threat posed by teams in League One, as not that many teams play that way anymore. He may be correct that not as many teams 'plan A' is to get the ball into the box early. However i fear that he has failed to grasp that other teams have something called a 'plan B', normally a 6ft something brick outhouse that they can bring off the bench when needed and who will eat our defence for breakfast. I think we will at the very best have a few late goals conceded to worry about.

He was also asked about our tactics defending corners. He said that we mark semi zonal. Basically everyone marks other than a man at the front post, and then Andy Butler attacking every ball. What he failed to mention was who would be doing the Butler role this season. It seemed to be James Chambers vs Villa... We are going to get battered!

He needs to rethink this blind faith in his players and get a strong CB in who will be able to compete in the air, otherwise all of our good play going forward will be undone every set piece or cross. Matt preston looks the build to become this player but he certainly isnt ready yet.

Unfortunatley I predict a 3v1 loss.

I do loff when people go on about James Chambers at centre half. They clearly didn't go to Leyton Orient last season when he replaced Butler in his early sending off. It was one of the best centre half performances of the season, against two of the highest scorers in the league.

Would I like a Roper like commanding centre half in the squad? Yes. I am fretting that we haven't got one yet? No. I'd be more concerned at the other end at the moment. Our squad, as ever will continue to be shaped as the season goes on, with astute loan signings.

1-1 Pope and Benning. 6,918

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:24 am

That's a very good point you know.

Leyton Orient away he was immense against Mooney who ain't small, and I remember Peterborough away on the mud bath where Boro were forced to play a lot of hoofball and he and Downing handled it REALLY well. I suppose we do have to worry about set pieces, but from what I am reading Deano is trying to turn Downing into someone who deals with aerial threat's.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 am

the added advantage of Chambers is he does have that little bit more pace than a normal centre back, which is useful cause Downing turns like an oil tanker.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 am

we've sold out of our allocated 700 tickets. More available for pay on the door.
However I understand that Vale have a new ticket barcode scanning system a bit like the one at MK. So anyone who wants to pay on the day will have to queue at the ticket office first rather than pay cash at the turnstiles.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:02 pm

saddla wrote:we've sold out of our allocated 700 tickets. More available for pay on the door.
However I understand that Vale have a new ticket barcode scanning system a bit like the one at MK. So anyone who wants to pay on the day will have to queue at the ticket office first rather than pay cash at the turnstiles.

Ah the joys of modern football.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm guessing Dean will opt for 4-1-2-1-2
O Donnell
O Connor, Chambers, Downing, Taylor
Chambers
Clifford, Benning
Sawyers
Bradshaw, Grimes