Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leamington (a) - Friendly 26/07/14 KO 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Leamington (a) - Friendly 26/07/14 KO 3.00pm

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:40 am

Anyone else going or just me?

saddla
Site Addict

Re: Leamington (a) - Friendly 26/07/14 KO 3.00pm

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 am

Looks like you just volunteered to write the match report mate :D

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:23 am

saddla wrote:Looks like you just volunteered to write the match report mate :D

:lol:

I'm sure the one with the ginger hair will do well.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:48 am

Most walsall fans iv spoken to ain't going waste of time and money if you ask me save your money for august 9th when the real football starts.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:52 am

I'll be there.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 pm

XI: MacGillivray; Taylor, O'Connor, Holden, Downing; A.Chambers Sawyers, Preston, Flanagan; Grimes, Bradshaw

Subs: Jezeph, Ruiz, Baxendale, Webber, Benning, J. Chambers, Morris, Heath, Bakayoko, Kinsella

Dan Jezeph is a youth teamer.

Jamie Tank in the Leamington XI :shock: :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:07 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:Looks like you just volunteered to write the match report mate :D

:lol:

I'm sure the one with the ginger hair will do well.

Which one though??? :mrgreen:

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:21 pm

1-0 to the Brakes. Matt Preston fouls in the area and Leamington convert.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:56 pm

TheSwift wrote:1-0 to the Brakes. Matt Preston fouls in the area and Leamington convert.

Getting past a joke, now.

Ask if Pedagogue has his boots with him.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:59 pm

1-1
Bradshaw pen

foul by Jamie Tank
Good lad ;)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 pm

1-2 Ruiz scores.

Sign him up!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:53 pm

1-3 Bakayoko.

Gonna win the league!!!!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Finished 1-3

Bakayoko penalty

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:18 pm

How did Grimes play?
The video clips remind me somewhat of a type of Jimmy McMorran (and most of us old 'uns now how popular with the fans HE was in a Walsall shirt!) harries and chases, just what we need in a sluggish forward line. :)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm

First Half:

MacGillivray - Did well with what he had to do, coming out to clear long balls outside of the area and forced to control and kick out a high back pass. Penalty he couldn't do anything else for, he dived correctly and very nearly got there, but the shot was right in the corner, think it might of gone in off the post.

O'Connor - Did alright, nothing special.

Preston - Had a bit of a shocker, got ripped a new one by Leamington's number 10 and couldn't catch him so he hacked him down for the penalty. Got exploited a couple of other times as well by him too. Hopefully he can learn from this.

Holden - Played very well, ushered the defence and you could always hear him shouting orders and encouraging the lads. Solid defensively, passed surprisingly well too.

Downing - Did alright, a few poor passes but relatively solid. Don't think he is suited to the left side of central defence at all mind you.

Taylor - Again did alright, don't think the wing back role suited him.

A Chambers - Best player in the first half, tight ball control, tackled and passed well too.

Flanagan - Made a couple of mistakes but passed well.

Sawyers - Didn't do great, passing was off and got disposed quite a bit as well. Don't think the wider role's is for him at all, a bit like Baxendale on the wings in that it doesn't play to his strengths whatsoever.

Grimes - Linked up well, didn't get into the game that much though as he was deployed wider then I would of expected like Sawyers.

Bradshaw - Battled well, won quite a few headers for his size and showed a lot of promise, good penalty as well, which hopefully won't mean we have another season with about 20 missed penalties.

First half we were pretty poor, especially in the first 20 or so minutes. Passed slowly, error prone, and I was having horrible flashbacks of last season where we were god awful offensively. Too many long balls played forwards as well as we lined up with a 523, three central defenders, two wing backs, two central midfielder's and three forwards - Bradshaw played central with Sawyers and Grimes off either side. There was no link between midfield and attack as Grimes and Sawyers were isolated by the full backs and central defenders, and Chambers and Flanagan had no-one in front of them in the whole to pass the ball to. O'Connor and Taylor are not really wing backs either, so down the flanks we carried no threat. All in all the first half was pretty poor, we equalised from a soft penalty won by Bradshaw who battled really well and got shoved to the ground when chasing a ball played over the top of the defence. The game definitely called out for a ball carrier, someone to take the ball up the field and find the feet of our attackers or run at the defence. The only threat came from Bradshaw, and that was a worry.

Second Half:

MacGillivray - See above

Kinsella - Played at right back, covered well and never got caught out. Don't think they really pressured him enough though, as Leamington were really poor second half.

J.Chambers - Solid, hardly saw him which is a good thing from a central defender, passed neatly and wore the captains armband.

Holden - See above

Benning - What a talent, really rate Benning. Having a great pre-season and has probably been the best player so far as well, offensively very dangerous. Glad he seems to have learned from his past mistakes as well, looking confident again.

Heath - Covered very well, a much better performance after a pretty poor one against Torquay. Set up the second as well, all down to hard work chasing the ball down, and then laying it back across into the path of Ruiz.

Ruiz - Very neat and tidy, with a few fancy flicks that were very nice. Looks similar to Featherstone in that he passes calmy, but also different to him in that he can actually look up and play it forwards. As Deano said, maybe tried to force a pass through at times, but still looking good. If we have budget spare, I would offer him a deal.

Baxendale - Much better from him, he was god awful against Alfreton, but he looks very lively on the left flank. Much prefer him that than on the right, as his strengths are his shooting and passing - when on the right he can't really cut in like he is good at since he is right footed, so he normally finds himself down a blind alley and losing the ball. On the left however, he can have the full back run past him and he can lay them off for a proper left footed cross, or he can cut inside and dart across the penalty area like he is good at and fire in a shot. Obviously he is better in the centre, but if he has to be used as a winger, the left is the better place for him.

Morris - Great talent, tricky on the ball, great feet and a decent shot. Very reminiscent of early Paterson in that he has the skills and ball control - but he just needs the experience to know when to shoot, when to run past a defender and when to lay off a pass. Very good though, played in behind the strikers, at the tip of a diamond and looked very comfortable.

Webber - Decent player, looks very clever in his positioning, similar to Westcarr in that aspect. He is also very vocal which is a great thing, looks like the kind of player that youngsters need to help usher them and guide them. Passed very well too, looks suitable to our style of play. If we don't sign another striker, and we do have the spare budget, I would offer him a deal just to be the experienced head amongst a very young front force. He is experience, looks suitable to the style of play and is also very vocal. If we are looking for pennies behind the seat to sign another winger, then don't get him, but if the budget is available and he is happy to be a squad player, then sure.

Bakayoko - Proper talent, strong, pacy, tall, great looking striker. Still very raw, and you can tell, but he has the makings of a very good striker that could easily do better than us. Think he needs to go out on loan myself to get roughed up a bit, as times I think he gets manhandled a little. Great run for the penalty as well, good ball through any other striker who is 6'4 and as strong as him would not of gotten to it - but he very fast for his build, got to the ball and then brought down by the keeper as he rounded him. Very nicely taken penalty as well.

Second half we played what looked like to me as a 442, with the midfield four playing a diamond, Heath was deep, Morris in behind the stikers. Baxendale and Ruiz played either side, Ruiz on the right and Baxendale on the left. They weren't wingers though as they were tucked in enough to get into the midfield battle, but drifted wide when we attacked. We played very well, a lot of movement, Morris and Baxendale were very good ball carriers and Ruiz passed quite well. Webber, Baxendale, Morris and Heath all linked up a few times with very nice on the eyes short passing around the penalty area that only lacked the final ball to send the striker on through. A lot improved, and I think overall we were good value for the win.

A lot of the player's only played 45 minutes, mainly because of the heat, so I would assume that the two teams were a precaution because of the injuries we have been getting. Long grass + tired bodies + very hot weather = injuries.

Also, to whoever it was sitting behind me. I think you need to lose some weight because you have the loudest fudge breathing ever, your respiratory system is failing fast. Also thanks for coughing down the back of my neck.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks JonnyOwen - a detailed report like that is much appreciated!! :D

Jurg (LFC)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:02 pm

TheSwift wrote:
Jamie Tank in the Leamington XI :shock: :lol:

For a bit of context, Jamie's dad Darren was a Leamington player, and is still a friend of the club. Obviously we're happy he's playing for us at the moment, but personally I reckon he'll be picked up by someone in the football league sooner or later.

Good to see last season's loanees Flanagan and Heath in the Walsall side.

A good workout for both sides today, though we were missing a few players, and didn't have a recognised striker in our squad. I hope those Walsall fans who made it enjoyed their afternoon in the sunshine in the Warwickshire countryside.

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:How did Grimes play?
The video clips remind me somewhat of a type of Jimmy McMorran (and most of us old 'uns now how popular with the fans HE was in a Walsall shirt!) harries and chases, just what we need in a sluggish forward line. :)

How we could do with a Jimmy Mcmorran, one of my favourite Walsall players, not only did he harry and chase but he was very skilful on the ball and new how to deliver a telling pass. Clever footballer.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Saw Jamie Paterson there today. Must be coming back on season long loan then.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Johnny Owens report is spot on. I'll just add a few more observations.

- Flannagan was captain for the first half. A nice touch following his loan spell here.

- I reckon Holden will start the season as first choice central defender . A lot of effort being made to get him match fit. If not, why is he getting so much game time? If he does then it would make sense to make him captain.

- Bradshaw works very hard. He is not the biggest player in the world, which came as a bit of a shock when I saw him for the first time today.

- Grimes played very well considering he only arrived yesterday. Some good link up play with Bradshaw that could prove to be very exciting and productive over the season.

- Their first goal was born out of the tippy-tappy crud that blighted us last season. An over elaborate attack broke down and their number 10 nicked it when it started going backwards. Preston brought him down because he was skinned. Their number 10 was good value all day.

-Ruiz was coolness personified and took his goal well. On today's showing, and if he is cheap, well worth a punt.

- Webber didn't convince me that he is part of the answer up front. He certainly has pace and kept the defence busy but he didn't hold the ball up and lost it too often. I would give him a go against Leicester but needs to do better to warrant a contract.

- Leamington ground was pleasant with a friendly, family atmosphere. They also did chips and let me take my pint onto the terrace! Unfortunately, one or two of our fans couldn't read a social setting if it was written in 50ft crayon. Why swear and shout obscenities when it's obvious little kids with mums are just yards from them? Embarrassing planks.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:47 pm

otiswfc wrote:Most walsall fans iv spoken to ain't going waste of time and money if you ask me save your money for august 9th when the real football starts.

On the contrary. My first chance to cast an eye over the new signings and trialists, only eight quid and my boy got in for free. A very enjoyable day that was well worth the trip.

Twelthofapenny
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:04 pm

otiswfc wrote:Most walsall fans iv spoken to ain't going waste of time and money if you ask me save your money for august 9th when the real football starts.

Boy are you going to eat those words.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Twelthofapenny wrote:

Why because we won I don't think so pal I wouldn't travel 30 mile to watch a meaningless kick about I could go to the arboretum for free if I wanted to see that I will happily pay to go to vale on August 9 th and go to all the home games thanks.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:40 pm

otiswfc wrote:
Twelthofapenny wrote:

Why because we won I don't think so pal I wouldn't travel 30 mile to watch a meaningless kick about I could go to the arboretum for free if I wanted to see that I will happily pay to go to vale on August 9 th and go to all the home games thanks.

I fear a wickety wackety whoooosh is about to be claimed :D

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:01 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Johnny Owens report is spot on. I'll just add a few more observations.

- I reckon Holden will start the season as first choice central defender . A lot of effort being made to get him match fit. If not, why is he getting so much game time? If he does then it would make sense to make him captain.

Really hope this isn't the case, but I also have my suspicions we will see a lot more of him this year.

Would be a huge step backwards in my opinion. He is 34, was average at best when he was in the first team before, and has barely played a competitive game since 2012.

MAsaddler

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:59 am

pumajaguar wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:Johnny Owens report is spot on. I'll just add a few more observations.

Really hope this isn't the case, but I also have my suspicions we will see a lot more of him this year.

Would be a huge step backwards in my opinion. He is 34, was average at best when he was in the first team before, and has barely played a competitive game since 2012.

I don’t suspect you have, but try not to make your mind up on him yet. I have seen him twice this pre-season and I would say he looks our strongest and most competent defender, fit and hungry to play. It is most definitely not a step backwards. He also looks the most likely to score a header from a corner.

What is more of a concern is how unsure Downing has been playing, and I imagine Holden will play a massive role in ensuring Downing has a good season as he provides that experience and assurance.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 am

Interesting that O'Connor seems to be seen as exclusively as an RB and looks like it will be Chambers/Holden partnering Downing this season.

Suppose Deano is concerned we might lose that aerially dominance with Butler leaving.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 am

Torbaysaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:How did Grimes play?

How we could do with a Jimmy Mcmorran, one of my favourite Walsall players, not only did he harry and chase but he was very skilful on the ball and new how to deliver a telling pass. Clever footballer.

Ha Jimmy McSporran, the only Walsall player to be sent off twice-----in the same match.

Graham

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:11 am

Attended the game on Saturday. Never knew B&Q did pop up football grounds. More wood than Walsall Wood!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:- Leamington ground was pleasant with a friendly, family atmosphere. They also did chips and let me take my pint onto the terrace! Unfortunately, one or two of our fans couldn't read a social setting if it was written in 50ft crayon. Why swear and shout obscenities when it's obvious little kids with mums are just yards from them? Embarrassing planks.

How I agree with that sentiment, having been a grade 111 (local) ref for years it astonishes me that I have to take the captains to one side to remind them that they are playing on a parks pitch, with mums and kids, there are those amongst us that still reel from the society that we live in, that still considers 'effing' this and 'effing' that to be the norm...there ARE other adjectives available, but regrettably American films have ruined our English social tongue. :( :(

Next
Return to 2014-15 Season