Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay Utd (away- friendly) 3pm Sat 19th July 2014

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Torquay Utd (away- friendly) 3pm Sat 19th July 2014

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Live blog at Torquay Herald Express.

saddla
Site Addict

Re: Torquay Utd (away- friendly) 3pm Sat 19th July 2014

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:37 pm

We're practising coming from 1-0 down :(

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Cook off on a strecher! seems to have damaged his ankle. :(

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 pm

now we're 2-0 down :( :( :( :( :( :(

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:49 pm

This is playing against a conference side :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:23 pm

saddla wrote:This is playing against a conference side :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nobody EVER believes my pre season ramblings (see last page of 'its that time of year again' posts)
Three weeks before the season starts, and we are stuck with 'what you have is what your going to get'
yet again.......and some people are convinced that more signings are on the way, it aint gonna happen folks!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:This is playing against a conference side :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nobody EVER reads my pre season ramblings!

...nor indeed,any during the season. No need ...

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:36 pm

I think we need a proven goalscorer someone like that Craig westcarr chap.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 pm

saddla wrote:Cook off on a strecher! seems to have damaged his ankle. :(

Apparently has a long history of cruciate knee injuries probably be out for several months. Great signing Deano what's the point in only going for player's with great attitudes if there either cack or injury prone I would prefer a team of ismail demongtagnacs and Jason brissitts. As the saying goes you can't read to much into friendlies but our lack of fire power is frightening I don't think Mr Smith has learnt from last season.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:41 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Apparently has a long history of cruciate knee injuries probably be out for several months. Great signing Deano what's the point in only going for player's with great attitudes if there either cack or injury prone I would prefer a team of ismail demongtagnacs and Jason brissitts. As the saying goes you can't read to much into friendlies but our lack of fire power is frightening I don't think Mr Smith has learnt from last season.

What the fudge are you on about ? How the fudge was Dean Smith to know Cook would get fudge injured pre-season ?
You really are a prize knob. Up there in the sheff category. Prick.

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:53 pm

I know it's only a pre-season friendly but I certainly wouldn't go and watch that rubbish week in and week out. My initial thoughts on the first half wouldn't get past the swear filter so in words that will. Torquay outplayed us,they were better footballers and a much better prepared team.
They also knew where the goal was. Are Walsall players fined if they have a shot on goal.
The second half was a little better, don't know who the players are but the lad who scored at the end looked useful and also Kinsella.
Sorry folks I've seen better Walsall teams than that and I go back a long way. Smith has a lot of work to do.

Nice weather down here. :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:57 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Apparently has a long history of cruciate knee injuries probably be out for several months. Great signing Deano what's the point in only going for player's with great attitudes if there either eartha or injury prone I would prefer a team of ismail demongtagnacs and Jason brissitts. As the saying goes you can't read to much into friendlies but our lack of fire power is frightening I don't think Mr Smith has learnt from last season.

Sorry Tyldesley, hear what your saying but at least 'Otis' certainly has a point with the above line! :(

SWS1

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Oh, dear.
:(

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Despite the fact that things aren't going that well, I've never seen as much bullshine in one place at once as what Otis has just written. So bad it made me laugh. If Cook was that injury prone Smith wouldn't have signed him. More signings are coming. I won't even comment your Westcarr reference. We need another forward, another winger and something down the spine in both positions. If it's so blindingly obvious to us, then it'l be even more obvious to Smith.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Need more attacking players, who'd have thought it? :roll:

Possibly three new attackers if Cook is injured long term.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 pm

According to reports, Cook's ankle injury was sustained "with no contact from the opposition player".

We evidently now have players who can self-inflict injuries....... :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:According to reports, Cook's ankle injury was sustained "with no contact from the opposition player".

Probably the case of getting his studs stuck in the turf or something. Not good as that could easily be ankle ligaments and quite a few months on the sidelines.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Nobody EVER believes my pre season ramblings (see last page of 'its that time of year again' posts)
Three weeks before the season starts, and we are stuck with 'what you have is what your going to get'
yet again.......and some people are convinced that more signings are on the way, it aint gonna happen folks!

You really think that's it for the striking options particularly as Cook might be seriously injured? Last season ended with 6 strikers on the books, atm it's 4 so I'd say two more in at the least.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:28 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Apparently has a long history of cruciate knee injuries probably be out for several months. Great signing Deano what's the point in only going for player's with great attitudes if there either eartha or injury prone I would prefer a team of ismail demongtagnacs and Jason brissitts. As the saying goes you can't read to much into friendlies but our lack of fire power is frightening I don't think Mr Smith has learnt from last season.

The reports are it is an ankle injury. The cruciate ligament is in the knee. :roll:

Stop flapping until you know the facts.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Nobody EVER believes my pre season ramblings

Probably because they are usually bollocks :lol: Inevitably though, yowl be proven right one of these years :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:According to reports, Cook's ankle injury was sustained "with no contact from the opposition player".

He went over on his ankle as he landed after an aerial challenge. Just one of those things. Get over it.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Although Delfouneso is on the top of my wish list, from what I'm reading I think we probably need an experienced striker to lead this front line of kids.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:07 pm

According to the official site (I've copied and pasted, including the official sites typo!) we are waiting to find out how serious Cook's injury is.

"When asked about Jordan Cook’s first half injury, Smith added: “He’s rolled his ankle. These things happen at this time of year when we look to protect out pitched by keeping the grass a bit longer than normal.

“It’s a case of waiting to find out the extent of the injury in the days ahead.”

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:09 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Although Delfouneso is on the top of my wish list, from what I'm reading I think we probably need an experienced striker to lead this front line of kids.

I'd love to see him at Bescot, he was one of Blackpool's many trialists today in a friendly against Penrith, doubt if he'll be playing for us next season, unfortunately.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:Although Delfouneso is on the top of my wish list, from what I'm reading I think we probably need an experienced striker to lead this front line of kids.

I'd love to see him at Bescot, he was one of Blackpool's many trialists today in a friendly against Penrith, doubt if he'll be playing for us next season, unfortunately.

Scored twice and kissed the badge apparently

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 am

I have no idea why everyone is so worried.
From the Torquay Herald Express - "Walsall's pre-match training drills are the most intricate we think we have ever seen here at Plainmoor. Lots of sprinting in precise patterns. Very impressed, we are".

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 am

Whitters wrote:I have no idea why everyone is so worried.
From the Torquay Herald Express - "Walsall's pre-match training drills are the most intricate we think we have ever seen here at Plainmoor. Lots of sprinting in precise patterns. Very impressed, we are".

Just about says it all don't it...we are good at pre game warm up's...........pity we are too knackered afterwards to play a game?

See everyone is still confident more players are on the way.....what planet are you all living on? This is Walsall, three weeks before the season starts, and 'what you have is what you'll get', have you all got VERY short memories, this happens year in year out............now watch us sign Messi on a six month loan next Monday! :lol: :lol: :lol:

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:26 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

What the donald are you on about ? How the donald was Dean Smith to know Cook would get donald injured pre-season ?
You really are a prize knob. Up there in the sheff category. hampton wick.

How was i supposed to know it's not rocket science the player has a history of injuries and is the dregs of the barrel and smith should know better than signing him. He's not as good as westcarr FACT so why fudge westcarr off and replace him with cook. Smith didn't like westcarrs attitude I couldn't give a toss as long as he was doing his job ie scoring goals.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Reading this thread makes me want to top myself. :roll:

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Reading this thread makes me want to top myself. :roll:

Carry on then :mrgreen:

Next