Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League One Fri 26 Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League One Fri 26 Dec, 3pm

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Cully wrote:Disappointing result after a promising first half. Swindon clearly have some good players, but in the second half we forgot the basics, in particular Downing who lapsed into the most generous of moods by either giving the ball directly to one of their players or failed to clear the ball when in procession. His mistake for the third was particularly damaging to any chance of a recovery. Final score was perhaps a little misleading to those that weren't there and how Henry didn't get the man of the match was a mystery, he was excellent throughout the game up to the very last seconds, always making forward runs, his tackling and commitment could not be faulted. I just hope that we can hold onto him for at least a couple of seasons.

Milton Keynes away.....................no chance.

Oh and despite our latest run of reasonable results the pattern of the last three seasons under SMITHOUT doesn't change..............win none, lose and draw a few for a couple of months, get a couple of wins and a mini unbeaten run and some fans think that it will all be different from now on....................back to square one and so the cycle continues. I'm hoping for a miracle :shock:

Just been looking at the form of other teams though....

Sheffield United- 6th yet have one win in 7.
Rochdale- 7th yet also one win in 7.
Notts County- 8th yet one win in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeven. Also lost their last four at home.
Chesterfield- Picked up a bit recently but went ages without a win.
Posh- One win in NINE.
Oldham- One win in seven.

So the reality is the Walsall form which has been better recently than a few of the teams mentioned just follows the trend of all but four teams in this league.

PNE, Franchise, Bristol City and Swindon, those four are a cut above in terms of resources and player recrutiment as Swindon have that wierd deal with Spurs.

There is no chance of competiting with those teams, they'll have their own automatic battle and one of the losers will probably win the play offs.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Unprofessional bunch of bottlers. It rained and snowed a bit in the second half and we bottled it.

Let a goal in after 2 mins of first half - unprofessional.

Let a goal in after 50 seconds of the second despite winning a corner after 15 seconds. Utterly unacceptable and unprofessional.

Why was Rico Henry not subbed at half time? Why did we not make any substitutions until we were 4-1 down?

Really annoyed today. I can take losing, but why I cannot take is losing because a lack of heart, bottling it and general mismanagement.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Unprofessional bunch of bottlers. It rained and snowed a bit in the second half and we bottled it.

Let a goal in after 50 seconds of the second despite winning a corner after 15 seconds. Utterly unacceptable and unprofessional.

Why was Rico Henry not subbed at half time? Why did we not make any substitutions until we were 4-1 down?

Really annoyed today. I can take losing, but why I cannot take is losing because a lack of heart, bottling it and general mismanagement.

Didn't think Henry had a bad game, there were others a lot worse, namely Cook who offered him little protection! ,

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Welcome back neuromatic-we havent heard anything from you for weeks. why not? I know-we havent lost for 7 games -how unprofessional of us!!! You really are a prized plonker. We lost to a better team today but we could have been a goal up at half time with a bit of luck. There are some on here who just post when we lose-supporters! Don't make me laugh! UTS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Walsallone wrote:Welcome back neuromatic-we havent heard anything from you for weeks. why not? I know-we havent lost for 7 games -how unprofessional of us!!! You really are a prized plonker. We lost to a better team today but we could have been a goal up at half time with a bit of luck. There are some on here who just post when we lose-supporters! Don't make me laugh! UTS

I don't comment on games I do not attend - this was the first game I have attended in a long while.

Sorry for invalidating your point.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:08 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:Unprofessional bunch of bottlers. It rained and snowed a bit in the second half and we bottled it.

Didn't think Henry had a bad game, there were others a lot worse, namely Cook who offered him little protection! ,

I would guess 80% of their attacks came down his side today - they definitely targeted him.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:23 pm

Smith to blame - really?
Unprofessional - really?

Seen enough games now to judge this as a series of mistakes and poor judgements by players on the pitch. They played 3-5-2 because they have the quality to make it work and it's always going to be an ask to chase when you go a goal down. The 2nd came from a misplaced short corner and an excellent break. The 3rd a simple slip. Neither 'unprofessional' or 'management incompetence'.

Saw enough in the 1st half to see that we have some good players who know what they are about and are well drilled. Swindon are a very good side at this level so I didn't compare them to Swansea lightly - a team who waltzed into the prem with some style and class.

We could play them again and run out winners by the odd goal. This a team that are obviously serious championship contenders. A sense of perspective is required by some of the more vocal and reactionary elements here I feel.

I would cordially invited them to get in touch with reality and at the range of possibilities the Walsall wage bill allows. :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:41 pm

excellent post Saigon. Interesting that some people only see a few games and then feel they can criticise the Manager and Team for a "mad" ten minutes. Swindon took advantage of our mistakes-good for them but mistakes have been few and far between this year. Where we are lacking and it was the same today is goals from the supporting players to Bradshaw. If we hope to get beyond mid table this needs to be dealt with either by changing the personnel or by the existing players taking more shots and being more accurate.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:03 pm

First half was a massive improvement on last week (Forde for Bax impact).

Second half was about the same as last week just against a more clinical side we paid a heavier price.

Sawyers poor protection of possession cost us two today. When the opposition get around him in numbers he becomes a liability. When the opposition gets around him in numbers, it's a bit physical and it's snowing then he virtually holds his own number up to be substituted.

For twenty minutes today we had them rocking so there's a bit to be positive about. Shame Cook and Fordes two efforts didn't go in during that spell as it could have been a different game.

Oh well. Merry Christmas everyone.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Walsallone wrote:excellent post Saigon. Interesting that some people only see a few games and then feel they can criticise the Manager and Team for a "mad" ten minutes. Swindon took advantage of our mistakes-good for them but mistakes have been few and far between this year. Where we are lacking and it was the same today is goals from the supporting players to Bradshaw. If we hope to get beyond mid table this needs to be dealt with either by changing the personnel or by the existing players taking more shots and being more accurate.

It's a good job then that my objective and factual posts are all based on observations of 80% of all our games home and away over the past three years of SMITHOUTS reign. I would add that the latter part of your post should include the management in order to be balanced and logical. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not but please do not burst into tears just because others do not share the same opinion. Your criticism of SMITHOUT is no different to many others ie existing players taking more shots or being more accurate or changing personnel. Both those criteria are the responsibility of the management team :idea:
Regardless of our yo-yo performances let us hope that we can by some miracle, over a period of 7 months, win at least 3 games including one on penalties against the bottom team in the fourth division - tick, then win over two legs against a leading third division side to make an appearance at Wembley with the chance to win a cup competition. I'm sure that all our abject and tedious performances, win less runs and uninspired drivel, make weight or chance signings will be forgotten until they all happen again.

At least I will be there to support the team :D

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Interesting definition of 'support'.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Cully wrote:
Walsallone wrote:excellent post Saigon. Interesting that some people only see a few games and then feel they can criticise the Manager and Team for a "mad" ten minutes. Swindon took advantage of our mistakes-good for them but mistakes have been few and far between this year. Where we are lacking and it was the same today is goals from the supporting players to Bradshaw. If we hope to get beyond mid table this needs to be dealt with either by changing the personnel or by the existing players taking more shots and being more accurate.

It's a good job then that my objective and factual posts are all based on observations of 80% of all our games home and away over the past three years of SMITHOUTS reign. I would add that the latter part of your post should include the management in order to be balanced and logical. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not but please do not burst into tears just because others do not share the same opinion. Your criticism of SMITHOUT is no different to many others ie existing players taking more shots or being more accurate or changing personnel. Both those criteria are the responsibility of the management team :idea:
Regardless of our yo-yo performances let us hope that we can by some miracle, over a period of 7 months, win at least 3 games including one on penalties against the bottom team in the fourth division - tick, then win over two legs against a leading third division side to make an appearance at Wembley with the chance to win a cup competition. I'm sure that all our abject and tedious performances, win less runs and uninspired drivel, make weight or chance signings will be forgotten until they all happen again.

Yes, but didn't you state that we were doomed, DOOMED for two consecutive seasons only to witness (in presumeably horror) as Smith extracated the team and now has them both playing well and getting results. And all on one of the lowest wage bills in the division.

Point of note - wage bills have a remarkably close correlation with league position. FACT. :wink:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:40 pm

saddler_nic wrote:Really strange game that, hard to make a real judgement on it. I thought first half we more than matched them and probably should have gone in at half time in front, with Cook missing a glorious chance. The main talking point was the Luongo challenge on ROD. Most people were screaming for a red, for me it wasn't even a yellow. It was a 50-50 which they both went in to commited and fairly. If Luongo doesn't go for that ball he gets hammered by the fans, his team mates and his manager.

At half time I thought what a really enjoyable game it was. Sadly, the second half was over before we got started. Terrible corner was pounced on and we didn't have enough cover at the back. RICO held their number three up, who was excellent for them all game, but nobody tracked the runner to the left. A couple if mins later, Downing slips and the balls in the net.

Really disappointing that Swindon didnt have to work for any of their goals. I can take being beaten by the better side but we really were masters of our own downfall today.

I think that post is right on the money, it's something you can't question this year we normally don't give those sort of goals away, and today for some reason we just looked frail and vulnerable out there, swindon are decent but nothing special,IMO brentford and wolves of last year would put this swindon side to bed as we did last year at the county ground, and on another note they are owing over 50k in rent. Cook scores his chance and the game is totally different, hopeful of a point at mk and back to winning ways in January when the fixtures are kinder to us.

For all the people baying for smiths head after this are ridiculous, arguibly smallest budget in the division, a side that try to play football, area finals of the jpt and mid table at Xmas, all that with a squad averaging the age of around 25, it's shocking isn't it, get a life haters.

UTS

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:53 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Merely making the point that Dean Smith continues to achieve nothing. It may be flippant but cancelling a day of training is not something a succeful manager would do.

Dickheads.

What do expect him to do, could you do any better is it really that easy, don't embarrass yourself that giving the players Xmas day off has anything to do with a side being successfull, had nothing to do with the playing staff mark cooper had t his disposal when he arrived at swindon, the wages and transfers they will pay even if it puts them in debt.....shut your pie hole

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:Interesting definition of 'support'.

as opposed to what exactly?

Here is my qualification of 'support'

Attend as many matches home and away as I am able - tick
When attending said games always offer encouragement in the form of cheery comments eg 'well played that man', 'good shot/tackle/pass/header/foul etc' -tick
Never boo, jeer or call any of our players 'lazy' apart from referee, officials, opposition players and manager - tick
Encourage others to attend matches regardless of league position - tick
Use any method ie psychological, torture, imprisonment or bribery to convert others to follow Walsall including forcing offspring and all their friends at school - tick
Actively financially support the club by sponsoring games at least once per season - tick
Buy drinks/food at home games including making polite conversation with club officials -tick
Take the piss out of Stafflers on a regular basis - tick

I'll start your list if you wish

Chant Ginger Mourinho/sexy football/Deano Deano give us a wave at regular intervals during the game - tick

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

I would guess 80% of their attacks came down his side today - they definitely targeted him.

So that meant he should be subbed at half time then? Perhaps we could acknowledge that Swindon were a good team and their right back, Byrne I think, caused us no end of problems. Taylor would have struggled today as he often gets done by someone with pace and Benning gets slated everytime he gets a game. What the heck though lets sub a 17 year old at half time who didn't do to badly and has played well in recent games!

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Cully wrote:

When attending said games always offer encouragement in the form of cheery comments eg 'well played that man', 'good shot/tackle/pass/header/foul etc' -tick
Never boo, jeer or call any of our players 'lazy' apart from referee, officials, opposition players and manager - tick
Use any method ie psychological, torture, imprisonment or bribery to convert others to follow Walsall including forcing offspring and all their friends at school - tick
Actively financially support the club by sponsoring games at least once per season - tick
Buy drinks/food at home games including making polite conversation with club officials -tick

Chant Ginger Mourinho/sexy football/Deano Deano give us a wave at regular intervals during the game - tick

Give yourself a pat on the back cully, a very anal post.
Turn it in ya wet fart

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Don't understand those who thought the weather had nothing to do with the result. I thought it clearly affected how comfortable we are on the ball, which after all is a big part of our game. From vague memory wasn't it a really windy day when we lost 0-3 to MK dons last season, with similar defensive insecurities/catastrophes.

Sometimes the weather favours you though, e.g the 5-1 at Notts County was after a flash storm at kick off which clearly affected the game. Same as we weren't world beaters after that game, we're not non-league standard after today.

It's maybe fair to say the manager should allow for the conditions and set up the team appropriately (e.g drop the "luxury" players like Sawyers), but hindsight is wonderful thing. having said that, I thought their second was very poor to concede. Almost schoolboy-esque.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got something at MK Dons. Still lots of reasons to be positive.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:36 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:

Yes, but didn't you state that we were doomed, DOOMED for two consecutive seasons only to witness (in presumeably horror) as Smith extracated the team and now has them both playing well and getting results. And all on one of the lowest wage bills in the division.

Point of note - wage bills have a remarkably close correlation with league position. FACT. :wink:

The simple answer is no to your first point. The wage bill is often quoted as an excuse when we're losing or for our lack of success - no one really knows what it is, just saying it is one of the lowest does not mean it is a fact - merely conjecture in the absence of fact. SMITHOUT is responsible for recruitment, he is responsible for the teams results and any extrication from the low points he has created during his time here. Losing or win less runs, tedious, boring, unenterprising play, winning, playing well and undefeated runs are of course wholly down to him and his management not luck, not injuries, not budget. He has had the benefit of a number of home grown players developed by the club, some, not all, down to him when he was youth team manager for which he should take credit. It appears that a number of fans appear to have a blind side when it comes to judging Smith, ignoring the FACTS comes top by a long chalk.

Final fact - What do teachers know about football and why didn't you let me know you were back in the country? You could have been my honoured guest at the Barnsley game :D

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Don't understand those who thought the weather had nothing to do with the result. I thought it clearly affected how comfortable we are on the ball, which after all is a big part of our game. From vague memory wasn't it a really windy day when we lost 0-3 to MK dons last season, with similar defensive insecurities/catastrophes.

Sometimes the weather favours you though, e.g the 5-1 at Notts County was after a flash storm at kick off which clearly affected the game. Same as we weren't world beaters after that game, we're not non-league standard after today.

It's maybe fair to say the manager should allow for the conditions and set up the team appropriately (e.g drop the "luxury" players like Sawyers), but hindsight is wonderful thing. having said that, I thought their second was very poor to concede. Almost schoolboy-esque.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got something at MK Dons. Still lots of reasons to be positive.

Now that's a good post although I cannot see anything other than a defeat at MKD
:)

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
Cully wrote:

Give yourself a pat on the back cully, a very anal post.
Turn it in ya wet fart

:D Cheers Big Dave!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:47 pm

We looked off the pace and the first goal was really poor defending, too easy for their lad to score. Then when we woke up we absolutely muntered them, got the equaliser and needed to get another but couldnt. I said at the time we needed to make this count.

Then the second half was fudge laughable, a short corner straight to their bloke who ran straight up the pitch and passed it sideways for an easy counter. Fair enough, we can still get back into it at that point.

Downing slips, they make it count. Unlucky. Then we just went to pot. The snow came down and Downing, Sawyers, Forde, Purkiss all had brain farts. We havent had a mare like that for a few years, Swindon were utterly ruthless, quality on the break, their strike force is worth a few quid. We really lacked a few proper leaders at this point, the heads went down and no one said a word.

Rico Henry had a horrid afternoon, but to be fair, Cook defends like a pansy and he was up against one of the better wingers you will see in this league this year. He mullered him all game long, i dont think Henry got near him with a tackle. One to forget for the 17 year old.

Basically, the difference today was the fact every mistake we made was punished. I liked Swindon. They dont mess about.

Trying to pay tipyy tappy on a pitch thats made of slush is not clever.

Smith Admitted defeat when he took Bradders off, who by the end was the only one who gave a cack and tried in the snow. Manset plodded along like the fat lazy person he is and Grimes needs to lay off the turkey the porker.

Luongo got away with doing the keeper, if it was on an outfield player he would have been off. Took three strides and lunged in. Australian mong, koala munching piss drinker. Hope he gets snapped.

fudge it, move on, we were not that bad i just hope it doesnt knock too much out of them. No need to cry and have a period today, we had a wobble and got a lesson, but we dont do it often.

Purkiss said the players couldnt track the Swindon lot because they were playing in white, no one even went up to the ref to mention this. Excuses if you ask me.

It was fudge freezing, i lost sensation in the left ear.

Up the Saddlers. xxxxx

The Grunge

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:50 pm

And who are all these 'Spurs loanees' that people think Swindon have?

There aren't any. That was last season - Mason, Pritchard, Hall. Of the current team, Luongo and Byrne are Swindon's own players. There are however two 19-year old centre halves on loan from Southampton.

The Grunge

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Neuromantic wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Welcome back neuromatic-we havent heard anything from you for weeks. why not? I know-we havent lost for 7 games -how unprofessional of us!!! You really are a prized plonker. We lost to a better team today but we could have been a goal up at half time with a bit of luck. There are some on here who just post when we lose-supporters! Don't make me laugh! UTS

I don't comment on games I do not attend - this was the first game I have attended in a long while.

Sorry for invalidating your point.

Maybe you should be sorry for not supporting your team more often.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:59 pm

The Grunge wrote:And who are all these 'Spurs loanees' that people think Swindon have?

There aren't any. That was last season - Mason, Pritchard, Hall. Of the current team, Luongo and Byrne are Swindon's own players. There are however two 19-year old centre halves on loan from Southampton.

Excuse some of our thick fans...............any excuse will do although I note that Swindon are still cheating the league rules regards income and expenditure on players. No surprise there then, the club has had a succession of dodgy financial dealings for many years. I hope they go bust and end up in Estonia.

The Grunge

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Cully wrote:
The Grunge wrote:And who are all these 'Spurs loanees' that people think Swindon have?

Excuse some of our thick fans...............any excuse will do although I note that Swindon are still cheating the league rules regards income and expenditure on players. No surprise there then, the club has had a succession of dodgy financial dealings for many years. I hope they go bust and end up in Estonia.

No such 'cheating' going on, unless you have some evidence that others are unaware of? The club has slashed its playing budget to £1.4m from the £4m+ excesses under the Di Canio regime and the average age of the first team is around 21 years.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:07 am

latviancheese wrote:Basically, the difference today was the fact every mistake we made was punished. I liked Swindon. They dont mess about.

That's probably as concise a match report as anyone on here needs to read. For 40 minutes in the first half it was a really good game featuring two good sides. Then for 10 minutes of the second half, it was the away team giving the home team an absolute tonking. In fairness, it was no more than the lesson we gave them at their place last season.

You can't really legislate for games like today where solid performers like Downing and Sawyers have absolute shockers. Rico Henry will be a gem before long, but today was certainly an afternoon to forget for him.

Never mind. Bring on the plastic Dons.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 am

Who was playing right wing for Swindon? He looked like quality. Was it Nathan Byrne?

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:44 am

Really annoyed with that, as we absolutely gave it to them.

First half was a good game of end-to-end football, Swindon looked very dangerous in attack but ropey at the back. Second half was an utter shambles.

O'Donell 5 - Could he have done better on some of the goals?

Henry 5 - Targeted by Swindon, is it really wise for a youngster like him to be left as the only many back against such a dangerous countering side?

Downing 4 - Went to pieces in the second half.

Chambers 6 - Don't think he was really culpable for any of the goals.

Purkiss 6 - Solid and played some great passes.

Cain 5 - An off day

Chambers 6 - Did ok.

Cook 5 - Should have at least hit the target with a good chance at 1-1 and didn't help Henry much.

Forde 5 - Bright first half, but his poor corner gifted them a goal.

Sawyers 5 - Poor. Gave the ball away which lead to their opener. Disappeared when the going got tough.

Bradshaw 7 - Just keeps on scoring.

Grimes - He can score then! Just a shame it was offside...

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:58 am

Swindon were probably as good as any side that we have played this season. It was a case of tit-for-tat after we gave them a football lesson at the County Ground, last season, and now they have done exactly the same to us at Bescot, this season. Ignore the reasons/excuses. This was a thoroughly deserved away win. There were indeed dreadful individual errors, the principal culprit being Downing, who was absolutely awful - one of the worst displays that I have ever seen from a Walsall central defender. He bounced back from a shocking display in the 4-0 defeat at Rochdale, earlier in the season, so let's hope that he can do it again, starting at MK Franchise. I have commented in a match report from a previous game that he is only half the player that he was when he had Butler alongside him. James Chambers is too much of a gentleman! :)

Neuromantic's criticism of Henry was too harsh, imo. Obviously, Swindon, like all the other teams that we play, will have done their homework and clearly set out to target him in view of his size; in particular putting the giant Michael Smith against him. However, the lad recovered well from a shaky start and was certainly better than his two central defenders, for example. It didn't help him that Cook offered him very little, if any, support. As for our "tactics" - why was Henry left to mark Smith, one-on-one, when the rest of the defence went up for a corner, when the score was 1-1?

I am still to be convinced by Cain. It is hard to say that he played badly but he just isn't in the game enough. I know that his rôle in the team is primarily as a defensive midfielder but, to me, he doesn't offer enough. A side issue is the question as to why we are giving valuable match time and experience to a 20 year-old from another club when we could be doing it for one of our own, such as Kinsella (What has happened to him? Why has he fallen out of favour?)?

In all, a miserable afternoon; the weather was lousy, we played crap and lost - and the bloody Dingles won!

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season