Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Sat May 03, 2014 6:45 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Cully wrote:Those of us who can be bothered to attend witnessed yet another half season of abject failure not only in results but mainly in the style, tactics and method of our very own ginger Mourinho. Pointless tactics, tedious play, boring mind numbing periods of the worst kind of his tippy tappy pass back to Butler football, terrible contract decisions and no adequate explanation from Smith as to what his plan is to not only win games but introduce a modicum of excitement.
Smiths fans, for whom he can do no wrong, in particular the early part of the season, were so busy wristing themselves off and praising his amazing achievements would appear to be happy to accept our mediocre players, the far sighted long term signings of dross, the weekly excuses and denial from Smith that anything is wrong with 'his' team.
For those people that don't go it matters not that they have to witness first hand the dross we have become, the results speak for themselves and I fail to see why anyone cannot be allowed to draw the obvious conclusion from listening, reading and watching the 'highlights'. Just reading this board is enough to see through the Smith smokescreen.
I went today and it was rubbish - FACT

This in abundance. Did not go today due to work but my god I was relieved not too, last few months have been a chore. Unless Smith learns and learns quickly I fear for next season.

Forget the tippy tappy rubbish, get wingers running down the wing and start putting crosses in.

Just because we are Walsall FC we should not just have to accept mediocrity.

We are lucky that we had such a solid defence at the start of the season or else we would have been relegated, usually you do not stay up scoring a pathetic 49 goals.

knowing how bad the attack ended up being.......49 goals seems like a great achievement for them. They are at the stage now where u can see them scoring one in every two games at most!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2014 7:34 pm

I think the way we start next season is crucial now. Pick up where we left this one off and I'll have serious doubts if Deano is still the man for the job.

One positive is the clubs coming up/down are not as strong as they were last season. Although Scunthorpe may be dangerous if they keep splashing the cash and I expect Sheff Utd and Bristol City to have good seasons.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 7:41 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I think the way we start next season is crucial now. Pick up where we left this one off and I'll have serious doubts if Deano is still the man for the job.

One positive is the clubs coming up/down are not as strong as they were last season. Although Scunthorpe may be dangerous if they keep splashing the cash and I expect Sheff Utd and Bristol City to have good seasons.

the problem is walsall struggle to score against every team in the division.....so every game will be difficult unless fundamental changes in mentality and quality

And Smith especially needs to get rid of invalid excuses.....refs, luck etc

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat May 03, 2014 8:25 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Cully wrote:Those of us who can be bothered to attend witnessed yet another half season of abject failure not only in results but mainly in the style, tactics and method of our very own ginger Mourinho. Pointless tactics, tedious play, boring mind numbing periods of the worst kind of his tippy tappy pass back to Butler football, terrible contract decisions and no adequate explanation from Smith as to what his plan is to not only win games but introduce a modicum of excitement.
Smiths fans, for whom he can do no wrong, in particular the early part of the season, were so busy wristing themselves off and praising his amazing achievements would appear to be happy to accept our mediocre players, the far sighted long term signings of dross, the weekly excuses and denial from Smith that anything is wrong with 'his' team.
For those people that don't go it matters not that they have to witness first hand the dross we have become, the results speak for themselves and I fail to see why anyone cannot be allowed to draw the obvious conclusion from listening, reading and watching the 'highlights'. Just reading this board is enough to see through the Smith smokescreen.
I went today and it was rubbish - FACT

This in abundance. Did not go today due to work but my god I was relieved not too, last few months have been a chore. Unless Smith learns and learns quickly I fear for next season.

Forget the tippy tappy rubbish, get wingers running down the wing and start putting crosses in.

Just because we are Walsall FC we should not just have to accept mediocrity.

We are lucky that we had such a solid defence at the start of the season or else we would have been relegated, usually you do not stay up scoring a pathetic 49 goals.

Agree and the issue is that we face losing 2 of the back 4 that have kept this defence tight! Couple this with not replacing the goals lost from last season means it is a major summer of work for Smith & O'Kelly! We need to act quickly for a change and get our business done early to get the team to gel ready. I have my doubts though....!

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 pm

de ja vue

:shock:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm sorry but this was an archetypal finish to a Season where a club has over achieved but doesn't have the resources to build a massive squad of quality players to sustain a challenge. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fizzled out. No need to panic or make stupid statements, although on this board we all know that's not going to happen.

Smith today tried his youngsters instead of loan players, which people on this board have been saying for weeks.....did anyone see how many kids were in the squad today? How many has Smith brought through now & you still want to give the manager a hard time.

It's been a successful season for a club with a 3,500 average home gate. Take out the Wolves game and just think about how pathetic that figure is - we are one of the smaller clubs in this division. Some people on this board are in cloud cuckoo land and obviously have trouble seeing things for how they are. I've got utmost respect for all fans that go and support the team, but please realise you are going to watch a club that should probably be in the bottom tier in terms of size / resource.

MORONS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Started off well but this was a disappointing season.

This was one of the worst games I have ever witnessed.

Atrocious.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 pm

A goal difference of 0 and in the middle of the table.

Sums up the season perfectly.

A different way to look at it, look at the teams below us and above us. We are sort of top of all the teams comparable to us, and all the teams above us are the bigger teams in the division.

I dont want to accept mediocrity, and the last few months have been some of the crappest football ive seen to be honest, but its been a decent season. I think a few fresh faces will be a good thing this summer, its gone a bit stale.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Started off well but this was a disappointing season.

This was one of the worst games I have ever witnessed.

Atrocious.

How many Walsall games you been to ?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:08 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm sorry but this was an archetypal finish to a Season where a club has over achieved but doesn't have the resources to build a massive squad of quality players to sustain a challenge. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fizzled out. No need to panic or make stupid statements, although on this board we all know that's not going to happen.

Smith today tried his youngsters instead of loan players, which people on this board have been saying for weeks.....did anyone see how many kids were in the squad today? How many has Smith brought through now & you still want to give the manager a hard time.

It's been a successful season for a club with a 3,500 average home gate. Take out the Wolves game and just think about how pathetic that figure is - we are one of the smaller clubs in this division. Some people on this board are in cloud cuckoo land and obviously have trouble seeing things for how they are. I've got utmost respect for all fans that go and support the team, but please realise you are going to watch a club that should probably be in the bottom tier in terms of size / resource.

MORONS

Two wins in 18 games how do you justify that? As I have previously stated 2 wins in 34 games during 2 periods of the last 2 seasons, you cannot defend those stats. Boring, slow, mundane defensive football, that's nothing to do with budget that's to do with Smith and his tactics.

If I am a moron for wanting to be entertained then so be it, just because I am a Walsall fan does not mean I should have to accept rubbish.

You've propbably got teams in L2 with much lower budgets but still playing more entertaining football than us.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote: I've got utmost respect for all fans that go and support the team, but please realise you are going to watch a club that should probably be in the bottom tier in terms of size / resource.

MORONS

:?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 pm

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm sorry but this was an archetypal finish to a Season where a club has over achieved but doesn't have the resources to build a massive squad of quality players to sustain a challenge. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fizzled out. No need to panic or make stupid statements, although on this board we all know that's not going to happen.

MORONS

Two wins in 18 games how do you justify that? As I have previously stated 2 wins in 34 games during 2 periods of the last 2 seasons, you cannot defend those stats. Boring, slow, mundane defensive football, that's nothing to do with budget that's to do with Smith and his tactics.

If I am a moron for wanting to be entertained then so be it, just because I am a Walsall fan does not mean I should have to accept rubbish.

You've propbably got teams in L2 with much lower budgets but still playing more entertaining football than us.

So you would rather be in League 2 watching us tear Accrington to shreds?

Typical comment

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

MORONS

Typical comment

And when did I say that? read again. :roll:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 9:25 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote: I've got utmost respect for all fans that go and support the team, but please realise you are going to watch a club that should probably be in the bottom tier in terms of size / resource.

MORONS

:?

I get the impression a lot on this board don't actually go and watch the team!

Sallian for one.....

This board is obviously a hub for the 2000 stayaways :lol: :lol: :lol:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 9:31 pm

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

MORONS

Typical comment

You want entertaining football?

So you want to get rid of Smith and all his work with the youngsters, his philosophies, his hard work of the last few seasons - and take a chance on chasing sexy football at Walsall Football Club - which will probably result in a joker like Merson been put in charge?

Are you for real?

You want entertainment? I hear the Champions League is fantastic.....

Didn't hear you complaining earlier in the season when the squad was fresh and tearing into teams. It really just astounding how short sighted people are.....

Bristol Rovers with an average gate of around 6,300 were relegated to non league today - all down to instability & regular changing of managers. Perhaps they were chasing sexy football? It could so easily be us - buy hey, we would look awesome agains Gateshead :roll:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2014 9:33 pm

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

MORONS

Typical comment

Whole heartedly agree with Funk. On and off season perhaps should have done better given the position we were in but not complaining. Smith is doing a v.good job with what he has. Nice to see that others have a brain! :)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:39 pm

If your happy to sit there and be completely bored by our impotent tactics then so be it I applaud you. I pay my money to be entertained, just like I would at a theatre or cinema etc then If I have watched a rubbish film or play then I have the right to criticise it.

I'm still baffled as to how 2 wins in a 3rd of 2 seasons is immune to criticism from paying customers.

Are you doing a 'Bonser' and telling me to go and support someone else? Pathetic.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Can I be devils advocate and say it's a bit of both? With what he's got, Smith has done well overall, but recently the spark has gone and he needs to address it.

March was a big factor and the physical and mental tiredness that followed. Lack of squad depth (due to finances and not Smith) was always going to cost us and that carried on into April.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 9:43 pm

IHTC. wrote:If your happy to sit there and be completely bored by our impotent tactics then so be it I applaud you. I pay my money to be entertained, just like I would at a theatre or cinema etc then If I have watched a rubbish film or play then I have the right to criticise it.

I'm still baffled as to how 2 wins in a 3rd of 2 seasons is immune to criticism from paying customers.

Are you doing a 'Bonser' and telling me to go and support someone else? Pathetic.

I have never gone to Walsall Football Club expecting to be entertained!!

And that is your problem - I always went to support my team and have a laugh with mates. Some of the dross I have seen served up, especially int he early 90's, and did you hear me or my mates harping on about being 'entertained'?

Maybe you should stick to the theater. Your obviously far too intelligent for this football malarkey.

If I wanted to be entertained I would buy a ticket for Arsenal. If I want to support my club, who as it happens are doing quite well, I will buy a ticket for Walsall.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat May 03, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:44 pm

kshammer wrote:Can I be devils advocate and say it's a bit of both? With what he's got, Smith has done well overall, but recently the spark has gone and he needs to address it.

March was a big factor and the physical and mental tiredness that followed. Lack of squad depth (due to finances and not Smith) was always going to cost us and that carried on into April.

I cannot for one minute believe our funds are that low we could only afford Ngoo, Smith has to take the blame for not addressing the issues. I am sure he could have sent Hewitt and Quilks out onloan somewhere to free up some money if things are that bad.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm

IHTC. wrote:
kshammer wrote:I am sure he could have sent Hewitt and Quilks out onloan somewhere to free up some money if things are that bad.

Sunday League teams don't pay wages though, do they? :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
kshammer wrote:I am sure he could have sent Hewitt and Quilks out onloan somewhere to free up some money if things are that bad.

:lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 10:12 pm

IHTC. wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

He'd have had £200 a week to spend if they did.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 10:47 pm

IHTC. wrote:
kshammer wrote:Can I be devils advocate and say it's a bit of both? With what he's got, Smith has done well overall, but recently the spark has gone and he needs to address it.

I cannot for one minute believe our funds are that low we could only afford Ngoo, Smith has to take the blame for not addressing the issues. I am sure he could have sent Hewitt and Quilks out onloan somewhere to free up some money if things are that bad.

I think you're right there IHTC. Smith has been quoted recently as saying that there was money in the budget in January but he didn't spend it as he thought the squad was good enough.

Can some of the Smith arse sniffers lower themselves to admit that he got this one very wrong? :?

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2014 11:27 pm

MORONS

So we are morons for being unhappy with a team that has won twice in eighteen games, barely scores any goals and is playing dull football? I could understand your view if people were calling for Smith to be sacked, but has anyone done that?

This Salian is obviously a joker who goes over the top, but there is some truth to some of the things he says.

I can't believe it's got to the point when people are dismissed as deluded fools for daring to express a negative opinion, even when we are clearly playing very badly.

I really hope the club itself don't share your 'happy just to be here' mentality as that will only lead to failure.

As for your dismissal of entertainment as irrelevant, how can the club expect to attract, or even hold on to, fans if it plays dull, boring football? But then again I guess I'm a moron for considering the mere thought that we might want to actually progress and improve.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 11:44 pm

pumajaguar wrote:

MORONS

So we are morons for being unhappy with a team that has won twice in eighteen games, barely scores any goals and is playing dull football? I could understand your view if people were calling for Smith to be sacked, but has anyone done that?

This Salian is obviously a joker who goes over the top, but there is some truth to some of the things he says.

I can't believe it's got to the point when people are dismissed as deluded fools for daring to express a negative opinion, even when we are clearly playing very badly.

I really hope the club itself don't share your 'happy just to be here' mentality as that will only lead to failure.

As for your dismissal of entertainment as irrelevant, how can the club expect to attract, or even hold on to, fans if it plays dull, boring football? But then again I guess I'm a moron for considering the mere thought that we might want to actually progress and improve.

The whole basis for my frustration is that people are calling for Smith's head yes!! Do you have your head in the sand?

People can say we play badly, they can criticise style of play - however when we were winning playing this style of football people were calling it sexy! Now we are losing people are complaining at the style. People moan about not getting a striker in for months and months, he gets a striker in from Liverpool - people moan. People moan saying he shouldn't play the loan players and should blood youngsters, he drops the loan players for youngsters - guess what - people get on their back. MORONS!!!

Breathe, think, let the emotion of the occasion pass before making stupid, ill thought out statements.

Entertainment is something you choose to enjoy and spend money on. If you were going to the theater and you wanted top class entertainment would you go to a top theater showcasing stars or your local production by the amateur dramatics? You don't come to watch Walsall through choice or wanting to be entertained, because if it was choice, surely you would spend your money somewhere better? Its basic consumerism - watching Walsall is not for entertainment purposes - maybe that is all that's wrong in football these days!

If getting on players backs expecting to be entertained because you have paid money in, a lot less money than in other grounds may I add, then I fear the word 'support' should be changed to 'customer' and the whole basis of my understanding is incorrect.

Oh and by the way, we have continuously improved under Smith. What more do you want from the Club? Lets play attacking, ill-thought out football like under Merson. Losing 5-2 at home to Swansea was so much fun as we shot down the divisions wasn't it?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 12:27 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:

MORONS

The whole basis for my frustration is that people are calling for Smith's head yes!! Do you have your head in the sand?

People can say we play badly, they can criticise style of play - however when we were winning playing this style of football people were calling it sexy! Now we are losing people are complaining at the style. People moan about not getting a striker in for months and months, he gets a striker in from Liverpool - people moan. People moan saying he shouldn't play the loan players and should blood youngsters, he drops the loan players for youngsters - guess what - people get on their back. MORONS!!!

Breathe, think, let the emotion of the occasion pass before making stupid, ill thought out statements.

Entertainment is something you choose to enjoy and spend money on. If you were going to the theater and you wanted top class entertainment would you go to a top theater showcasing stars or your local production by the amateur dramatics? You don't come to watch Walsall through choice or wanting to be entertained, because if it was choice, surely you would spend your money somewhere better? Its basic consumerism - watching Walsall is not for entertainment purposes - maybe that is all that's wrong in football these days!

If getting on players backs expecting to be entertained because you have paid money in, a lot less money than in other grounds may I add, then I fear the word 'support' should be changed to 'customer' and the whole basis of my understanding is incorrect.

Oh and by the way, we have continuously improved under Smith. What more do you want from the Club? Lets play attacking, ill-thought out football like under Merson. Losing 5-2 at home to Swansea was so much fun as we shot down the divisions wasn't it?

I feel that there are some very fair comments from both sides of this debate, but I think a comparison of that marvellous Swansea team, who were on fire at that time, beating us 5-2 that day, with what's happened lately and especially last week and this week against two very poor sides, is rather inappropriate.

I'm not pleased with what Dean Smith has achieved since that 5-1 at Notts County, and still wonder how on earth the confidence could have drained away so markedly after such a result, but I wouldn't be calling for Smith's head either. In the end, he and the team have under-achieved massively in the closing months of the season compared to the expectations they'd built-up amongst the fans over those earlier months.

What is worrying now is that we go into the close season on a significantly low note, relegation form in fact, that (I think) leaves a lot of fans fearing for next season rather than relishing it. Much now needs to be done to turn around this low point and get us towards the front of the grid in time for August. Deano and R O'K certainly have their work cut out.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 am

Ahh when we lost 5-2 to Swansea. At least it was funny. Willy Gueret the Scunthorpe being lobbed by his own defender and the fact i had to run away from a minibus of Swansea reprobates brandishing stanley knives on Walstead Rd.

Top day really, even got a free pie of the missus working the Kiosk.

Much more fun than passing it sideways for 90 mins tbh.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun May 04, 2014 6:58 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:

MORONS

Just to bring a bit of balance to your points. Isn't football a results based business? Therefore how can 13th place be an improvement on 9th place?

Also isn't being able to adapt/change a formation or style of play a sign of improvement as well?

I thought the kids did well yesterday, would have like to see Flanagan rather than Featherstone and hopefully they can contribute next season. Smith has done well with the budget he has had and no one can deny this, however as others have mentioned there are examples of teams like Tranmere that we don't want to emulate next season.

Oh and I quite like a bit of entertainment, it doesn't per se have to be sexy football, just stick the ball between the white sticks to get me off my seat and applauding! If I am a moron for wanting to celebrate the key objective of a football game then so be it, but I will still be in attendance next season.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 7:09 am

There seems to be an urban myth growing on here that "people" are calling for Smith's head. Maybe someone (as I don't know how to) could start a poll, which I am sure would show that the vast majority of fans are behind him (unless Cully votes multiple times)

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season