Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Sun May 04, 2014 7:11 am

chestersaddler wrote:There seems to be an urban myth growing on here that "people" are calling for Smith's head. Maybe someone (as I don't know how to) could start a poll, which I am sure would show that the vast majority of fans are behind him (unless Cully votes multiple times)

Yeah, I didn't see that either.

I think there are people who want members of the squad or management to fail for their own opinions, though.

Westcarr especially.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 9:11 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:There seems to be an urban myth growing on here that "people" are calling for Smith's head. Maybe someone (as I don't know how to) could start a poll, which I am sure would show that the vast majority of fans are behind him (unless Cully votes multiple times)

I think there are people who want members of the squad or management to fail for their own opinions, though.

Westcarr especially.

I have seen one ore two posts I think, but really very few, that have actually called for Deano to go. He's made mistakes and too often seems to want to blame officials and bad luck for the team's shortcomings, but on balance I think most of us know that we'd be hard-pressed to find a better man to take his place.

It seems he still has much to learn and from comments I read it is, perhaps, how to assess a game in progress and change it, that is his major issue - in short a Plan B. This obviously means him trying to out-think his opposite number during games, a skill that a few managers seem to have in abundance, but I guess for most it's something that is only acquired over a long period of management, and for some never. I have no idea what category Deano falls into, maybe he's not got it yet, maybe he never will, or maybe he just doesn't feel he has the players at his disposal that can change a game effectively.

I have personally witnessed only a very few games this season, but those I did impressed me a lot in terms of possession football, but I think we can be easily taken in by that. Even as far back as the Coventry game at the Banks's, sexy football was the description being talked about, but our lack of forward movement had already been exposed. Although we did some nice things with the ball out there on the pitch that day, it was largely sideways and backwards and we created very little going forward. We lost the game because while we created pretty patterns, Coventry's tactic was to go straight through us and should have won by more than the one goal, but that was all it took. That happened so many times over the season, because with our poor record of creating chances, coupled with so many games where we got more shots in but failed to put the ball in the net, it has only taken one goal to beat us.

We scored 49 goals and conceded 49. Only 5 teams in League One bettered our defensive record, all finished in the top 7, the lowest being Sheffield United. Coincidentally, only 5 teams scored fewer goals, 3 were relegated, 1 (Crawley) finished immediately below us, and 1 (Sheff Utd) somehow finished 7th! I guess that proves that you can get close when scoring few goals, but I'd think that's rare. They won 4 more and drew 3 fewer games, so presumably turned more 1 goal games into wins than we did, while we were getting draws and dropping 2 points too many times. Added to that, in 3 games (Notts C, Swindon and Crewe) we scored 11 of our goals, so that leaves only 38 goals in the other 43 games, so the source of our problem is clear to see.

Deano has to solve the goal-scoring problem, but that is never cheap. Mr Bonser needs to understand that and show some ambition by making some meaningful money available, but I fear he won't go that extra mile and if so, on the basis of the last few months, we'll struggle.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 am

Westcarr especially.

Funk reads what he wants to read.

1. No-one has called for Smith's head

2. Baffled as to how 13th with 58 points is an improvement on 9th with 68 points :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 am

IHTC. wrote:

Westcarr especially.

2. Baffled as to how 13th with 58 points is an improvement on 9th with 68 points :lol:

I actually think that a ten point swing with this squad against last season's squad isn't actually terrible.

As last season, it's the long run of poor results that taints the opinion of fans. I think if the results, like last season, had been spread around more, there wouldn't be such a polarisation of opinions.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 11:09 am

IHTC. wrote:

Westcarr especially.

I actually think that a ten point swing with this squad against last season's squad isn't actually terrible.

As last season, it's the long run of poor results that taints the opinion of fans. I think if the results, like last season, had been spread around more, there wouldn't be such a polarisation of opinions.

It's definately not terrible but it is certainly not an improvement as previously stated.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun May 04, 2014 12:22 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm sorry but this was an archetypal finish to a Season where a club has over achieved but doesn't have the resources to build a massive squad of quality players to sustain a challenge. Nothing more, nothing less. It's fizzled out. No need to panic or make stupid statements, although on this board we all know that's not going to happen.

Smith today tried his youngsters instead of loan players, which people on this board have been saying for weeks.....did anyone see how many kids were in the squad today? How many has Smith brought through now & you still want to give the manager a hard time.

It's been a successful season for a club with a 3,500 average home gate. Take out the Wolves game and just think about how pathetic that figure is - we are one of the smaller clubs in this division. Some people on this board are in cloud cuckoo land and obviously have trouble seeing things for how they are. I've got utmost respect for all fans that go and support the team, but please realise you are going to watch a club that should probably be in the bottom tier in terms of size / resource.

MORONS

So we are morons for being unhappy with a team that has won twice in eighteen games, barely scores any goals and is playing dull football? I could understand your view if people were calling for Smith to be sacked, but has anyone done that?

This Salian is obviously a joker who goes over the top, but there is some truth to some of the things he says.

I can't believe it's got to the point when people are dismissed as deluded fools for daring to express a negative opinion, even when we are clearly playing very badly.

I really hope the club itself don't share your 'happy just to be here' mentality as that will only lead to failure.

As for your dismissal of entertainment as irrelevant, how can the club expect to attract, or even hold on to, fans if it plays dull, boring football? But then again I guess I'm a moron for considering the mere thought that we might want to actually progress and improve.

The whole basis for my frustration is that people are calling for Smith's head yes!! Do you have your head in the sand?

People can say we play badly, they can criticise style of play - however when we were winning playing this style of football people were calling it sexy! Now we are losing people are complaining at the style. People moan about not getting a striker in for months and months, he gets a striker in from Liverpool - people moan. People moan saying he shouldn't play the loan players and should blood youngsters, he drops the loan players for youngsters - guess what - people get on their back. MORONS!!!

Breathe, think, let the emotion of the occasion pass before making stupid, ill thought out statements.

Entertainment is something you choose to enjoy and spend money on. If you were going to the theater and you wanted top class entertainment would you go to a top theater showcasing stars or your local production by the amateur dramatics? You don't come to watch Walsall through choice or wanting to be entertained, because if it was choice, surely you would spend your money somewhere better? Its basic consumerism - watching Walsall is not for entertainment purposes - maybe that is all that's wrong in football these days!

If getting on players backs expecting to be entertained because you have paid money in, a lot less money than in other grounds may I add, then I fear the word 'support' should be changed to 'customer' and the whole basis of my understanding is incorrect.

Oh and by the way, we have continuously improved under Smith. What more do you want from the Club? Lets play attacking, ill-thought out football like under Merson. Losing 5-2 at home to Swansea was so much fun as we shot down the divisions wasn't it?

I can only speak for myself but I haven't heard anyone call for Smith's head. All I've heard is people question what he will do to put right an 18 game run that saw us become one of the worst sides in the division, which is the natural thing for supporters to do.

I have no complaints about a 13th place finish, had you offered me that in August I wouldn't have moaned. However, I do have complaints about the way we achieved that finish - playing dull football, barely scoring any goals and not winning just twice in 18 games.

I agree with your comments regarding strengthening the squad, the club brought in Brandy and Ngoo and we were all pretty happy with that at the time, I have no complaints on that front.

To claim we have "continuously improved" is just wrong. We have scored less goals, won less games, got fewer points and finished lower in the table than last year. Obviously that was influenced by factors Deano has limited control over, such as losing key players, but facts are facts and we were worse this season than the one before.

That doesn't mean Smith should be sacked, because as I said it's not all his fault, but there's no reason to bury our heads in the sands and pretend we're getting better either.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think we may have peaked in 2012-13, Deano is unlikely to have a team that good at his disposal again.

I suppose your optimism should be admired, but if anyone's offering ill-thought-out statements, it's the individual who brands other people morons because they have the cheek to disagree with them.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 pm

boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Game summed up the whole season. Dominate possession against yet another mediocre team without looking very threatening, conceed a freak/eartha/unlucky goal (delete as required) then lose. Same old.

Can't quite understand the wrist slashing preparations over next season's prospects though.

well if the form continues they will be going down

The rot needs to be stopped and they didn't manage to stop it today.....now they carry into preseason a psychology of:-

i) We finished in bottom half
ii) we can't score
iii) we couldn't stop a terrible run
iv) we ended up knocked out after peppering a larger fighter early on
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score
vii) the first goal is important

Actually seeing the team play tends to give you a more informed opinion than sitting on your Arsenal behind a keyboard and basing your analysis on the stats on the BBC. Try it.

Your name suits you...how could you not appreciate that comedic genious post.....I really am wasted on this board.....Is there a Saddlers women board I can try? Or Saddlers Academics? Saddlers Intellectuals? Saddlers half brains (a full half more than the other other lot!)

If I was paying to be tortured at the games on a regular basis.....what is the difference between that and being a crack addict....aprt from the brief joy the crack provides?

I was tortured enough in the handful of games I did attend. And when they did actually score...it was such a rare and momentous occasion that I injured myself so badly I think I am still carrying the scars, I probably should have gone to hospital....but maybe attending any games is a sign one should be in hospital of a different type.

fudge off troll

have a read

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BathSuicide

barclays - why the fudge do I feed you :?:

That is far more offensive than any of my so called racist posts, but i suppose once again you stick up for your own.
What a crap website this is turning out to be, no wonder the bloke that owns it wants out. Some of you are a disgrace !

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2014 5:45 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
That is far more offensive than any of my so called racist posts, but i suppose once again you stick up for your own.
What a crap website this is turning out to be, no wonder the bloke that owns it wants out. Some of you are a disgrace !

So does that mean I can't join your new message board?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Westcarr especially.

See my reply on Seasons review thread, I wouldn't want to repeat myself and I know you're struggling with my content.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 8:39 pm

I think it's cute, you following me around like this. Cheeseburger and a blue pop night out?

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 pm

PINNACLE wrote:What a crap website this is turning out to be, no wonder the bloke that owns it wants out. Some of you are a disgrace !

I like the site but when it has a stayaways thoughts on the season on it's home page I despair.
FFS - insult your "customers" why not.
If I took it over I'd ban the fudge.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Whitters wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:What a crap website this is turning out to be, no wonder the bloke that owns it wants out. Some of you are a disgrace !

I like the site but when it has a stayaways thoughts on the season on it's home page I despair.
If I took it over I'd ban the donald.

I had no idea, but presumably someone responsible thought it made some degree of sense.

Why not cut out the personal nonsense Whitters, and just explain where you think I am wrong in that report. That, as I have said numerous times, is what the message board is about, and I'd add that attending matches is NOT a requirement to qualify to post on this board.

Of course, if you'd like to ban me, it'll save me 120 notes per annum, and that's 120 notes that this site needs, unless I'm badly mistaken.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I had no idea, but presumably someone responsible thought it made some degree of sense.

Why not cut out the personal nonsense Whitters, and just explain where you think I am wrong in that report. That, as I have said numerous times, is what the message board is about, and I'd add that attending matches is NOT a requirement to qualify to post on this board.

Of course, if you'd like to ban me, it'll save me 120 notes per annum, and that's 120 notes that this site needs, unless I'm badly mistaken.

What personal stuff?
I hate all stayaways equally - it's nothing personal.
Oh, some of this board's mods don't enthrall me either.
They have the power - like little JBs - to censor people's "fixed it for you Geoff" jokes.
What did The Who say about new boss?
I fully expect this post to be deleted by some little JB-alike.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitters wrote:

What personal stuff?
They have the power - like little JBs - to censor people's "fixed it for you Geoff" jokes.

No-one's going to censor this Whitters, calm down, you'll make yourself ill.

It was personal when you said "a stayaway's thoughts on the season" - that was me, even though I had nothing whatsoever to do with that post going on the front page, and it was as much a surprise to me as it was to you, seeing it there.

Why hate stayaways? It's a free country (up to a point) and we can all choose how to spend our money, and I choose to spend mine in a way that hands very little into the control of Jeff Bonser, because I don't trust him to use it in a way I'd approve of i.e for the benefit of the football club. Not saying he'd do anything illegal with it, not at all, but I don't think a big-enough proportion goes to support the team out on the pitch, and that's entirely my call. If he'd work at it in the right way, he has the opportunity to win me back, it ain't rocket science.

Meanwhile, I talk to lots of knowledgeable people who I know I can trust, I read everything I can about Walsall FC, and I have thoughts and opinions about this football club that I've followed for the past 55-56 years. Maybe when you get close to that, you might not feel as inclined to put up with perennial under-investment - we can all get fed up in time, believe me.

Earlier I asked you to say what you disagreed with about that post of mine which has somehow found enough favour to have been chosen to be posted onto the front page. Can you maybe follow that up, instead of spouting on about irrelevancies like "the stayaways" issue?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 am

Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitters wrote:

What personal stuff?

Do you remember your first Dime bar, Whitters?

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon May 05, 2014 7:16 am

chestersaddler wrote:Do you remember your first Dime bar, Whitters?

It was last week - at roughly the time my post with it's "Fixed it for you Geoff" was deleted by a humour-challenged mod.
Now the general public won't get the benefit.

What other stuff gets deleted that we never get to know about?
eg "Why I succeeded at Walsall and failed everywhere else" by Ray Graydon?
Griggs "Why I celebrated in front of empty seats"
Smith's "The real reason we faded from the playoffs?".

I could go on....

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Whitters wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Do you remember your first Dime bar, Whitters?

It was last week - at roughly the time my post with it's "Fixed it for you Geoff" was deleted by a humour-challenged mod.
Now the general public won't get the benefit.

What other stuff gets deleted that we never get to know about?
eg "Why I succeeded at Walsall and failed everywhere else" by Ray Graydon?
Griggs "Why I celebrated in front of empty seats"
Smith's "The real reason we faded from the playoffs?".

I could go on....

Please dont.
Give us all a break please.

UTS Legend

Tue May 06, 2014 6:26 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitters wrote:

What personal stuff?

No-one's going to censor this Whitters, calm down, you'll make yourself ill.

It was personal when you said "a stayaway's thoughts on the season" - that was me, even though I had nothing whatsoever to do with that post going on the front page, and it was as much a surprise to me as it was to you, seeing it there.

Why hate stayaways? It's a free country (up to a point) and we can all choose how to spend our money, and I choose to spend mine in a way that hands very little into the control of Jeff Bonser, because I don't trust him to use it in a way I'd approve of i.e for the benefit of the football club. Not saying he'd do anything illegal with it, not at all, but I don't think a big-enough proportion goes to support the team out on the pitch, and that's entirely my call. If he'd work at it in the right way, he has the opportunity to win me back, it ain't rocket science.

Meanwhile, I talk to lots of knowledgeable people who I know I can trust, I read everything I can about Walsall FC, and I have thoughts and opinions about this football club that I've followed for the past 55-56 years. Maybe when you get close to that, you might not feel as inclined to put up with perennial under-investment - we can all get fed up in time, believe me.

Earlier I asked you to say what you disagreed with about that post of mine which has somehow found enough favour to have been chosen to be posted onto the front page. Can you maybe follow that up, instead of spouting on about irrelevancies like "the stayaways" issue?

Where has this front page gone? Will it be resurrected along with the message board?

By the way, I like the new 'stayaway' site logo. (They're certainly not cheering a football team.)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Asking questions about decisions that are clearly wrong, is not calling for the managers head. However, he has a tough season ahead of him next season, needs to come up with something better than the second half of this season, or the writing is on the wall. The football we have played, or haven't more to the point is some of the worst I've personally seen, been atrocious uninspiring, sideways backwards, toothless mega slow tempo,rubbish. Not doing anyone any good to pretend it's been okay, because it hasn't.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue May 06, 2014 8:59 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Not doing anyone any good to pretend it's been okay, because it hasn't.

That's exactly what some people do, they believe that if they pretend things are fine then they will be.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 pm

tinned wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Not doing anyone any good to pretend it's been okay, because it hasn't.

That's exactly what some people do, they believe that if they pretend things are fine then they will be.

It's been really bad, really it has. I had a free Saturday from the kids at the weekend, had the choice of going to the game with my Mrs, or spending the day in the pub. Couldn't bring myself to go, I knew what it would be without going to the game and spending the best part of £40 for the pleasure, or lack of it. I don't consider myself a stay away by any means. I've done my years of watching endless dross, being at the game without fail, like it was some kind of duty.

As the club said in their big statement about the club DNA bollocks, they are in the entertainment business, well honestly, I don't feel entertained in the slightest. 21 goals in 23 home games is awful. A few months back, I was seriously going to get me and the rest of the family a season ticket, but I completely changed my mind based on the shocking football, going to see what happens.

The idea of Dad and lad time at the football is appealing, you know how me and my Dad had such a bond because of W.F.C, but I have come to realise, I don't need W.F.C to have the bond with my boys, I've already got it. A day at the park gives me more pleasure than slow paced, dull football. Sad but true.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 am

WAW Said - 21 goals in 23 home games is awful

read it an weep, no excuses, no 'your disloyal!' tantrums, that is shocking. Smith must address this over the summer no question. The board must also give him the resources to do this. This isn't about spending silly money to finish top of the league, but it is ensuring this team will at least have the ability to score some fudge goals at home matches.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am

derbysaddler wrote:WAW Said - 21 goals in 23 home games is awful

read it an weep, no excuses, no 'your disloyal!' tantrums, that is shocking. Smith must address this over the summer no question. The board must also give him the resources to do this. This isn't about spending silly money to finish top of the league, but it is ensuring this team will at least have the ability to score some fudge goals at home matches.

I'm not sure it's about money even, although that would help. If the coaching staff send the team out with the intention of not attacking the opposition goal we won't score with Messi in the team.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm

aaaae wrote:

read it an weep, no excuses, no 'your disloyal!' tantrums, that is shocking. Smith must address this over the summer no question. The board must also give him the resources to do this. This isn't about spending silly money to finish top of the league, but it is ensuring this team will at least have the ability to score some donald goals at home matches.

I'm not sure it's about money even, although that would help. If the coaching staff send the team out with the intention of not attacking the opposition goal we won't score with Messi in the team.

Yep, although some money spent wisely would be good, we should be able to manage more goals than that with the team we had, in fact we should have been able to double it.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 am

All in all a very poor end to the season with many making excuses for Smiths performance as manager. He really needs to have a rethink on the way we have been attempting to play with the players he has signed, the last half of the season was as poor an effort I have seen from a Walsall team. No entertainment, no goals and an extremely tedious mind numbing playing style. I have no idea why he has consistently failed to address the lack of strikers, there must have been hundreds of player options open to him during this season [and the close season] and he still couldn't manage to find one.
Not sure what he sees when watching the team play unless he has developed a siege like mentality with his own ideas, failing to see what appears obvious to others but what do I know I'm only a paying customer.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Cully wrote:All in all a very poor end to the season with many making excuses for Smiths performance as manager. He really needs to have a rethink on the way we have been attempting to play with the players he has signed, the last half of the season was as poor an effort I have seen from a Walsall team. No entertainment, no goals and an extremely tedious mind numbing playing style. I have no idea why he has consistently failed to address the lack of strikers, there must have been hundreds of player options open to him during this season [and the close season] and he still couldn't manage to find one.
Not sure what he sees when watching the team play unless he has developed a siege like mentality with his own ideas, failing to see what appears obvious to others but what do I know I'm only a paying customer.

Smith's possession obsession hasn't helped.

I think there's more to it than just the season petering out though. Like the odd senior player causing disruption...such as the leading scorer who has ultimately been released. Bye.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 pm

I just hope the released players don't come back to haunt us next year :?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 am

TheSwift wrote:I just hope the released players don't come back to haunt us next year :?

Can't think of too many players that have haunted us after we've released them over the years. Normally they sink without trace.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri May 09, 2014 12:34 pm

aaaae wrote:

Oh I agree, Smith has developed a siege mentality (in my opinion) with this playing system, he must become more flexible in future in changing things when they are blatantly not working.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season