Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (A) League One 26 Apr, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Stevenage (A) League One 26 Apr, 3.00pm

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Smith could face losing Butler, Taylor, Westcarr, Brandy, Lalkovic...and who knows, maybe a bid will come in for Mantom. That's a big rebuilding job, which is an opportunity for Smith.

I fear you are right. But I remember a quote a couple of years ago from Butler saying, "I'll stay at Walsall as long as they want me." Maybe he's changed his tune then!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Cully wrote:You live with a goat? Is it good looking?

I'll post a picture later.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:44 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:You live with a goat? Is it good looking?

I'll post a picture later.

I'm not that bothered I was just asking for a friend.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:11 pm

We weren't even that bad, second half bar the defensive mistakes from our inexperienced left back we were quite decent. First half... the less said the better, a couple of half decent chances was about all there was.

Mid table isn't bad at all, far too many are acting like we have been relegated from the football league. Yes we are on a bad run, and yes if we keep it up we will end up in trouble next season, but Deano hasn't failed us yet and we need to have faith in him. The next manager could be another Hutching's, he is trying to build things and obviously cares deeply for the club. The criticism of his post match interviews is warranted though, where I can see where he comes from in terms of wanting to not hound players and start berating them like other managers (Karl Robinson) would do, he protects them. He is still a young manager, give him time like you would a young player (or wouldn't when you look at sections of our moronic fan base), he has shown potential as a manager just like young Bakayoko has in the youth team, give him time, let him do his job and rebuild as he sees fit in the summer.

Sections of our fan base is shocking, there was some rather elderly men that boo'd extremely loudly at half time and full time with full on booming voices, they should be embarrassed and grow up, acting like they are at a fudge panto. Supporting the players, picking them up off their feet when they are down will help them much more than abusing, insulting and harassing OUR OWN players will - it makes me sick. Constructive critiscm of players should be encouraged to help improve them, but not hounding them, driving players away from the fan base and evidently away from the club. Look at Grigg, I guarantee you he would have been much more willing to sign on with us next season has we have been good and decent supporters, picking him up when down, and supporting him. But no, we had sections booing him, cheering when he comes off the pitch - and then turn around and act shocked when they celebrate to empty stands and leave our club for others. Support the lads, don't get on their backs.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Cully wrote:I'm hoping to expand this one thread so that you will be able to state with confidence that on at least one thread there are more posters on here when we lose :wink:

The thread got off to a good start with a discussion about chips. Welsh, as usual did his impression of the Vidiprinter to help it long a bit. Page 5 already with only a couple of posts from them what went :)

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:03 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:he has shown potential as a manager ... let him do his job and rebuild as he sees fit in the summer.

Sections of our fan base is shocking

Ar. Too right.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:00 pm

JonnyOwen wrote: Mid table isn't bad at all, far too many are acting like we have been relegated from the football league. Yes we are on a bad run, and yes if we keep it up we will end up in trouble next season, but Deano hasn't failed us yet and we need to have faith in him. The next manager could be another Hutching's, he is trying to build things and obviously cares deeply for the club. The criticism of his post match interviews is warranted though, where I can see where he comes from in terms of wanting to not hound players and start berating them like other managers (Karl Robinson) would do, he protects them. He is still a young manager, give him time like you would a young player (or wouldn't when you look at sections of our moronic fan base), he has shown potential as a manager just like young Bakayoko has in the youth team, give him time, let him do his job and rebuild as he sees fit in the summer.

Sections of our fan base is shocking, there was some rather elderly men that boo'd extremely loudly at half time and full time with full on booming voices, they should be embarrassed and grow up, acting like they are at a donald panto. Supporting the players, picking them up off their feet when they are down will help them much more than abusing, insulting and harassing OUR OWN players will - it makes me sick. Constructive critiscm of players should be encouraged to help improve them, but not hounding them, driving players away from the fan base and evidently away from the club. Look at Grigg, I guarantee you he would have been much more willing to sign on with us next season has we have been good and decent supporters, picking him up when down, and supporting him. But no, we had sections booing him, cheering when he comes off the pitch - and then turn around and act shocked when they celebrate to empty stands and leave our club for others. Support the lads, don't get on their backs.

Great post!

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Benning is not a defender .
Sawyers is not a striker.
Smith is a manager who has dined out on keeping us up 3 seasons ago due to Plymouth been docked points.
Anyone who thinks we are playing better football than with Hutchings/Mullen is deluded.
Tippy/Tappy football my arse. Mind you that was a while ago. Now it's don't cross don't shoot don't defend.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Shocking result.

The lads had better get their heads round the fact that a loss on the last day could see us in the bottom half of the table, a win could see us top ten. I know seasons aren't defined by a single game, but the next one is rather crucial to our final status - improved, or not improved over the 2012-13 season?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:33 pm

I can't believe people think the fans being kinder towards a player will mean they're more likely to sign. Don't get me wrong, some fans were idiots towards Grigg but it was the pay packet that decided his mind.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:54 pm

tinned wrote:I can't believe people think the fans being kinder towards a player will mean they're more likely to sign. Don't get me wrong, some fans were idiots towards Grigg but it was the pay packet that decided his mind.

If you work at a company where everyone is a Scunthorpe to you, and someone else offers you a job, you would be straight out of there.
If you work at a company where everyone is supportive and nice, and someone offers you a job, a typical person would be thinking about the friends they leave behind and having second thoughts. I am not saying he WOULD of stayed, but it could of easily made his decision a lot more difficult to make.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:14 pm

No chips on the menu - probably due to health & safety.
Sawyers is NOT a striker, Benning is NOT a defender.
James Chambers was strangely awful today.
Brandy, for all the effort he makes, seems to have lost the ability to carry the ball into the box.
The game was made for Mantom to dictate the midfield through the acres of space left by Stevenage in their own half - he didn't take the opportunity.
Smith's substitutions were too late to have any positive impact.

On a positive note, at least we didn't have the worst player on the pitch - the Stevenage No 4 was comfortably the most inept footballer I've seen this season.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 pm

moaning saddler wrote:No chips on the menu - probably due to health & safety.
Sawyers is NOT a striker, Benning is NOT a defender.
James Chambers was strangely awful today.
Brandy, for all the effort he makes, seems to have lost the ability to carry the ball into the box.
The game was made for Mantom to dictate the midfield through the acres of space left by Stevenage in their own half - he didn't take the opportunity.
Smith's substitutions were too late to have any positive impact.

On a positive note, at least we didn't have the worst player on the pitch - the Stevenage No 4 was comfortably the most inept footballer I've seen this season.

Yet ended up on the winning side.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:58 am

Saw the goals on Sky tonight - shocking - what an unbelievable giveaway this was against a relegated club that hadn't won for 11 games!

For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!

For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees! No wonder O'Donnell had his face buried in the turf in disbelief!

Scored one, then gave away two, what sort of liability to the team is he?

I recall watching him vs Sheff United at home last season and he more-or-less gifted SheffU their equaliser by failing to challenge their player, and 2 points were dumped. Today, same problem, no improvement apparent, is he learning, are we teaching him that defending doesn't mean running alongside an opponent for a few yards and then letting him go?

Not saying today's dreadful result was all his fault, but he sure made a major contribution!

?

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Saw the goals on Sky tonight - shocking - what an unbelievable giveaway this was against a relegated club that hadn't won for 11 games!

For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!

For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees! No wonder O'Donnell had his face buried in the turf in disbelief!

I recall watching him vs Sheff United at home last season and he more-or-less gifted SheffU their equaliser by failing to challenge their player, and 2 points were dumped. Today, same problem, no improvement apparent, is he learning, are we teaching him that defending doesn't mean running alongside an opponent for a few yards and then letting him go?

Not saying today's dreadful result was all his fault, but he sure made a major contribution!

?

Again, I agree and also agree that Benning would be better placed further forward as a winger. If Taylor stays, let him play in his usual role next season and give Benning a chance further forward. Unlike Lalkovic, he seems to be able to get away from players and not do stepovers. Someone else mentioned it worked for Gareth Bale and this is a very similar situation abliet a lower level.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:43 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Saw the goals on Sky tonight - shocking - what an unbelievable giveaway this was against a relegated club that hadn't won for 11 games!

?

Good to see our young players being encouraged by our "fans".

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:08 am

Whitters wrote:

?

I agree with Geoff. You would think playing in a League 1 team - you would be able to play to a league 1 standard - face it, it aint been no good all season. Its nothing at all personal about the guy, i hope it has a great footballing career, but how far do you go in keep on making mistakes and putting your arm around them and saying, never mind Mal, better luck next week. Its a ruthless game i'm afraid, and if they aint performing you need to bring people in who can

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:01 am

I'm bemused as to how Ngoo is on Liverpool's books. Anytime the ball comes near he flaps around like a daddy long-legs disturbed from the ceiling.

Someone needs to sit down with Sawyers and explain the basics of gravity to him, as he seems to fear that if his feet leave the ground he'll float away and never come back.

Lalkovic, Brandy & Westcarr linked up well at times, but I kept feeling they weren't using their strengths to the fullest, or being clever enough against a knucklehead defence. That said, attack did technically do its job today. It was letting in 3 silly goals that have seen us defeat ourselves.

It's a very disappointing run & result, but I'd like to lend support to Sadders' views in this thread. This is a case of evolution not revolution, within very tight constraints, and at the moment I think that Smith is definitely the right man to continue to implement the established philosophy.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am

Whitters wrote:

So just how badly does someone have to perform before we're allowed to criticise then, Whitters? I mean, THOSE were pathetic, absolutely BASIC errors from a player who has now got a few games under his belt you know, and he also trains and learns techniques and tactics every day with a team of professional coaches and players.

If you play football, when was the last time you chose to chest a ball from out right of goal, back across the penalty spot and right into the most dangerous area of the pitch. And why chase a player for 5 to 10 yards and then pull up and let him go as he takes the ball unchallenged into the penalty area?

Excuse me for maybe thinking these weren't (by a long way) the right things to have done.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 am

No-one is calling for Smith's head, but there do need to be some changes for next season.
This year, we played Plan A for the most part. It was lovely to watch and took apart certain charlies who couldn't cope with it.
Unfortunately there was no Plan B for likes of Stevenage and Port Vale.

We appear to have reverted to a Plan B style Plan Z. Playing Ngoo in the same way that England play Crouch.
This achieved little.

So Plan A is best, but today those players might as well have played with buckets and spades in the hands for the first half.
I'd like to think that some of them were reminded at half time that there might not be a future after the seaside.

It's not hysteria to point out that 2014 has been a waste of time so far.
Nor is it to suggest that we need to be making a headstart on other teams now.

If today was to establish who needs to stay and go out of Plan A, then great.
I'm just surprised Smith doesn't know this already.
A lot depends on who he can keep, rather than who he wants to keep.
So for me, I don't see any value in today's dead rubber at all.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 am

Whitters wrote:

?

Fans are quite rightly criticised for getting on the backs of players at the ground. Now we aren't allowed to discuss their abilities on a messageboard. If they ain't good enough they ain't good enough. No amount of hairy fairying around will change that.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:41 am

Criticizing young players for their weaknesses should be encouraged, to help them become better players. However when it turns from constructive criticism to abuse, that is when it is out of order.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Criticizing young players for their weaknesses should be encouraged, to help them become better players. However when it turns from constructive criticism to abuse, that is when it is out of order.

:shock:

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Two wins in 17, we have every right to be questioning and criticising Smith.

Considering our oft-mentioned budget and the players we lost in the summer a mid-table finish is acceptable. However, the way we have achieved it is unacceptable. For the second season in a row a playoff spot has been there for the taking and we've blown it. Being disappointed with that doesn't make us Wolves-esq morons.

We've been playing poor football and getting poor results for the best part of four months, we are entitled to question what Smith is doing to remedy that.

I'm still behind Deano as manager and there's no doubting he's improved us a lot since taking over, but some fans seem to think we should be grateful just because we're in the third tier, despite the fact that is where we've spent 75 per cent of our existence! I really hope the players, management and club in general don't have the same lack of ambition, as that will only lead us in one direction and that's downwards.

Didn't go to the game so correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like Benning was directly culpable for two of their goals. Add that to the two he cost us at home to Preston and that's at least four his individual mistakes have lead to this season. Can we really trust this guy to play week in week out? I have serious doubts. As others have said. his strengths seem to lie in attack not defence.

I'm starting to wonder if a big re-build in the summer would be so bad. After all, this team isn't exactly covering itself with glory. Of the out-of-contract players I'd only really be disappointed to see Butler, Taylor and Westcarr go.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:26 pm

saddlerken wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Criticizing young players for their weaknesses should be encouraged, to help them become better players. However when it turns from constructive criticism to abuse, that is when it is out of order.

?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:40 pm

"Criticizing young players for their weaknesses should be encouraged, to help them become better players"

Im intrigued. How does this work?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:48 pm

saddlerken wrote:"Criticizing young players for their weaknesses should be encouraged, to help them become better players"

Im intrigued. How does this work?

Constructive criticism, have you heard of it?

Critically analysing players to show them their weaknesses and where they should improve helps them to no end, as it does in any line of work or skill.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Just a side note. My mate at BMW has just sold Mcquilkin a very nice new car this week. The talk was that the club are to be using him a lot more next season .

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Just a side note. My mate at BMW has just sold Mcquilkin a very nice new car this week. The talk was that the club are to be using him a lot more next season .

To be fair, at least he looks like he wants to make things happen. Unlike the rest of them at the moment, going through the motions. Some of them should be fudge off to be honest. Its too comfortable for some of them.

He probably isnt that good mind, but at least he takes his man on.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Just a side note. My mate at BMW has just sold Mcquilkin a very nice new car this week. The talk was that the club are to be using him a lot more next season .

Was that a toy one or a real one? Did they sell him a booster seat to go with it too? I've seen bigger 14 year olds!! Against Bristol City, his shirt was about 2 sizes too big!

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season