Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (A) League One 26 Apr, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: Stevenage (A) League One 26 Apr, 3.00pm

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 am

realist saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Saw the goals on Sky tonight - shocking - what an unbelievable giveaway this was against a relegated club that hadn't won for 11 games!

For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!

For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees! No wonder O'Donnell had his face buried in the turf in disbelief!

Scored one, then gave away two, what sort of liability to the team is he?

I recall watching him vs Sheff United at home last season and he more-or-less gifted SheffU their equaliser by failing to challenge their player, and 2 points were dumped. Today, same problem, no improvement apparent, is he learning, are we teaching him that defending doesn't mean running alongside an opponent for a few yards and then letting him go?

Not saying today's dreadful result was all his fault, but he sure made a major contribution!

?

Good to see our young players being encouraged by our "fans".

I agree with Geoff. You would think playing in a League 1 team - you would be able to play to a league 1 standard - face it, it aint been no good all season. Its nothing at all personal about the guy, i hope it has a great footballing career, but how far do you go in keep on making mistakes and putting your arm around them and saying, never mind Mal, better luck next week. Its a ruthless game i'm afraid, and if they aint performing you need to bring people in who can

It's my fault.
I was just a bit shocked as I assumed that Geoff, as a business owner, would know how to comment on performance issues - ie the constructive criticism mentioned by another poster.
His comments however show that he hasn't got a clue.
I bet his office is a laugh a minute.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:56 am

Give Geoff a break he is a paying custo.... oh.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 am

Whitters wrote:
realist saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Saw the goals on Sky tonight - shocking - what an unbelievable giveaway this was against a relegated club that hadn't won for 11 games!

For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!

For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees! No wonder O'Donnell had his face buried in the turf in disbelief!

I recall watching him vs Sheff United at home last season and he more-or-less gifted SheffU their equaliser by failing to challenge their player, and 2 points were dumped. Today, same problem, no improvement apparent, is he learning, are we teaching him that defending doesn't mean running alongside an opponent for a few yards and then letting him go?

Not saying today's dreadful result was all his fault, but he sure made a major contribution!

?

Good to see our young players being encouraged by our "fans".

I agree with Geoff. You would think playing in a League 1 team - you would be able to play to a league 1 standard - face it, it aint been no good all season. Its nothing at all personal about the guy, i hope it has a great footballing career, but how far do you go in keep on making mistakes and putting your arm around them and saying, never mind Mal, better luck next week. Its a ruthless game i'm afraid, and if they aint performing you need to bring people in who can

It's my fault.
I was just a bit shocked as I assumed that Geoff, as a business owner, would know how to comment on performance issues - ie the constructive criticism mentioned by another poster.
His comments however show that he hasn't got a clue.
I bet his office is a laugh a minute.

Actually if you knew me or knew my office, Whitters, you'd know that we have a great atmosphere and you'd be able to understand why that is. The personal comments might be better reserved for people you actually know, because without that you know nothing at all. Would you care to call in sometime for a coffee and a chat and see how wide of the mark you really are?

Your comments have nowt at all to do with football or Walsall FC, whereas I was a commenting on what I saw for myself, which was two dire errors by a player who actually isn't a young kid, he's got a few games under his belt now. You expect me to praise him for those errors, which cost us the game and the three points? Obviously not, so what am I supposed to post? Do I post what I saw or do I post some fictional comments about how unlucky he was to have made such basic mistakes?

Maybe I could put my criticism a different way - "Hey Mal, sorry to have to mention this, but did you notice those couple of errors you made on Saturday. That first one, their equaliser, did you notice straight after that second goal went in, that maybe you'd have helped to prevent that if you'd not slowed down and given up on tracking their player into the penalty area, maybe even tried to get ahead of him or tackle him before he got into the box, to try to prevent him getting the shot in. Thinking about it Mal, if he didn't get that shot in, he wouldn't have scored, would he? And their winning goal, maybe you'd have been better not chesting the ball down directly into the dangerous area of the pitch around the penalty area, in case there might be any opponents around there looking for a shooting opportunity. Maybe chesting it a bit nearer the goalkeeper, giving him a chance to grab the ball, would have been a better option? What do you think Mal?

Hope you don't mind me mentioning these things, don't let it worry you, we know you're still only young and inexperienced and these things are bound to happen. We're nice and safe anyway, nicely settled in mid-table, the fans will be happy with that, so no real harm done".

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
tinned wrote:I can't believe people think the fans being kinder towards a player will mean they're more likely to sign. Don't get me wrong, some fans were idiots towards Grigg but it was the pay packet that decided his mind.

If you work at a company where everyone is a Scunthorpe to you, and someone else offers you a job, you would be straight out of there.
If you work at a company where everyone is supportive and nice, and someone offers you a job, a typical person would be thinking about the friends they leave behind and having second thoughts. I am not saying he WOULD of stayed, but it could of easily made his decision a lot more difficult to make.

You have a major flaw in your argument.
Football players (well 99.9% of them) have ZERO loyalty to a football club.
They will move when offered a better deal elsewhere.
Absolutely no point in comparing football to a normal business model.
Hope this helps.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am

moaning saddler wrote:No chips on the menu - probably due to health & safety.
Sawyers is NOT a striker, Benning is NOT a defender.
James Chambers was strangely awful today.
Brandy, for all the effort he makes, seems to have lost the ability to carry the ball into the box.
The game was made for Mantom to dictate the midfield through the acres of space left by Stevenage in their own half - he didn't take the opportunity.
Smith's substitutions were too late to have any positive impact.

On a positive note, at least we didn't have the worst player on the pitch - the Stevenage No 4 was comfortably the most inept footballer I've seen this season.

This was disappointing. The hotdog roll split in two as well, turning it into a sandwich.

Ar.

Chambers was up against what appeared to be a proper winger type who had him for pace and ability: Luke Freeman (scored their third goal), he might be worth Deano making some enquiries about?

He had two defenders on him as soon as he got near the ball. He needed support from his team mates which never materialised.

He never hit a straight pass all game.

Bakayoko made some intelligent runs in the box when he came on, but the ball went sideways. Ngoo offers nothing.

The wench in the ticket office was nice and the one doing the burgers had nice baps.

Copyright: Rainbow Replies.com
Last edited by Leatherman on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Luke Freeman has been subject of many Championship bids and Westley (the massive Scunthorpe) has hinted it'l take a massive bid for anyone to get him, so that will be that when we are concerned. Wouldn't be surprised to see him join Preston or Bristol City etc.

On the topic of players - Adam Chambers can be one of the first players out the door this season. For a period last season he went under the radar as probably our best or one of our most important players, because the 'small' things he did, looked outstanding. But in his first season and for most of this, he has just hidden and contributed virtually nothing bar some hard work and covering ground. I appreciate that he doesn't do the pretty stuff and he just covers ground to tick things over, but at one point during his time here he'd actually look like driving us forward as well as hounding the cack out of every opposition player and frequently winning the ball. Sadly, he has another year and we will be closing in on 36 at the end of that. Not to be critical, but honestly - I'm struggling to think of one thing he has contributed going forward this season? Other than a sideways pass to Mantom. Same goes with Featherstone, who is also good at playing defensive passes across the back line, but what has he actually contributed? He's less effecive going back than Chambers is and about on par with him going forward.

Our central midfield is a huge reason we don't score enough but also a massive plus that we rarely concede more than a goal. Some sort of balance needs to be added, unless Smith plans on filling us with goals next season.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:33 pm

The defending is appalling. Benning gave up running?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:48 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
tinned wrote:I can't believe people think the fans being kinder towards a player will mean they're more likely to sign. Don't get me wrong, some fans were idiots towards Grigg but it was the pay packet that decided his mind.

If you work at a company where everyone is a Scunthorpe to you, and someone else offers you a job, you would be straight out of there.
If you work at a company where everyone is supportive and nice, and someone offers you a job, a typical person would be thinking about the friends they leave behind and having second thoughts. I am not saying he WOULD of stayed, but it could of easily made his decision a lot more difficult to make.

You have a major flaw in your argument.
Football players (well 99.9% of them) have ZERO loyalty to a football club.
They will move when offered a better deal elsewhere.
Absolutely no point in comparing football to a normal business model.
Hope this helps.

Broad generalisation.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Sadders wrote:Luke Freeman has been subject of many Championship bids and Westley (the massive Scunthorpe) has hinted it'l take a massive bid for anyone to get him, so that will be that when we are concerned. Wouldn't be surprised to see him join Preston or Bristol City etc.

On the topic of players - Adam Chambers can be one of the first players out the door this season. For a period last season he went under the radar as probably our best or one of our most important players, because the 'small' things he did, looked outstanding. But in his first season and for most of this, he has just hidden and contributed virtually nothing bar some hard work and covering ground. I appreciate that he doesn't do the pretty stuff and he just covers ground to tick things over, but at one point during his time here he'd actually look like driving us forward as well as hounding the eartha out of every opposition player and frequently winning the ball. Sadly, he has another year and we will be closing in on 36 at the end of that. Not to be critical, but honestly - I'm struggling to think of one thing he has contributed going forward this season? Other than a sideways pass to Mantom. Same goes with Featherstone, who is also good at playing defensive passes across the back line, but what has he actually contributed? He's less effecive going back than Chambers is and about on par with him going forward.

Our central midfield is a huge reason we don't score enough but also a massive plus that we rarely concede more than a goal. Some sort of balance needs to be added, unless Smith plans on filling us with goals next season.

Agreed on Chamber, he was immense last season and should have won player of the year in my opinion. He's definetley dropped off in the second half of this season, but I supose you can say that for most of them.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:The defending is appalling. Benning gave up running?

Ar. Which is not good in a footballer at any level. He had already appeared to have made up his mind that their 28 was going to score. I think it was Butler that can steaming in like a train to try and block the shot but failed. This should be a good example for Benning to learn from. If O'Donnell had parried the shot, then their striker may have had another attempt without being challenged, because Benning had given up the chase.

The chest back to O'Donnell, even from where we were sitting never looked likely to reach him. Over 'cocky'; send him to Rushall for half a season.

Lock Taylor in a dark room under the stand somewhere and don't let him out until he has signed for at least another season.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Who missed that effective open goal at the beginning? It was at the far end and I was too busy soaking in the electric atmosphere to pay attention.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

4143 wrote:Who missed that effective open goal at the beginning? It was at the far end and I was too busy soaking in the electric atmosphere to pay attention.

Sawyers, rounded the keeper but found their defenders on the line to clear, can't blame him too much, our slow build up play all together made it so their defenders got back in time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:59 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Just a side note. My mate at BMW has just sold Mcquilkin a very nice new car this week. The talk was that the club are to be using him a lot more next season .

What as? A roundabout? The team was reduced to impotent as soon as he came on at Bradford....he was turned and bewildered by a team that was, until that moment, causing the home fans to jeer their every move...suddenly they looked like breaking us down at will.
With him and Benning in the squad next year I fear for our chances. :(

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
4143 wrote:Who missed that effective open goal at the beginning? It was at the far end and I was too busy soaking in the electric atmosphere to pay attention.

Sawyers, rounded the keeper but found their defenders on the line to clear, can't blame him too much, our slow build up play all together made it so their defenders got back in time.

Most of the time our slow build up play would give a three legged tortoise time to get back.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 am

geoffwhiting wrote:For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!
For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees!

Geoff, what you said above is disgusting for a young player to read.
To paraphrase - "Clueless, pathetic, liability, major contribution to dreadful result".

Comments like that, which are open for all to view, together with abuse at the ground are guaranteed to promote loyalty aren't they?
Can't you see that this sort of stuff means you can expect players - like Dann and Fox - to leave at their earliest opportunity.
You're a stayaway and you are part of the cause of yourself staying away!

Smith is in charge of the players and team and their performances - learnt to delegate and trust.
I'm not in favour of you and your like destroying our players' confidence with comments like you've made based on few minutes highlights.
I know a message board is for people to express their opinions but your assassination of Benning was way over the top.
"Clueless, pathetic, liability, major contribution to dreadful result" - well done and thanks for encouraging the lads to give their all.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Whitters wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:For their 2nd, what the hell made Benning give-up and stop running and chasing their scorer into our penalty area? No chase, no challenge, no effort, no idea, clueless!
For their 3rd, if that pathetic effort was Benning's idea of chesting a ball back to his goalkeeper, then I'd suggest he gets his rib-cage adjusted by about 30 degrees!

To paraphrase - "Clueless, pathetic, liability, major contribution to dreadful result".

Comments like that, which are open for all to view, together with abuse at the ground are guaranteed to promote loyalty aren't they?
Can't you see that this sort of stuff means you can expect players - like Dann and Fox - to leave at their earliest opportunity.

Smith is in charge of the players and team and their performances - learnt to delegate and trust.
I'm not in favour of you and your like destroying our players' confidence with comments like you've made based on few minutes highlights.
I know a message board is for people to express their opinions but your assassination of Benning was way over the top.
"Clueless, pathetic, liability, major contribution to dreadful result" - well done and thanks for encouraging the lads to give their all.

More hand-wringing nonsense.

1. I can't believe any professional player would a) be bothered to read these sites or b) be the slightest bit bothered what fans wrote if they did read.

2. Do you really think that comments on s website would be the biggest deciding factor when considering to move clubs? I suggest career progression and/or increase in wages would completely eclipse any minor fan criticism. There will be critics at any club a player goes to. If they want to be (relatively) well paid sportsmen then I suggest a backbone is required.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Whitters wrote:Geoff, what you said above is disgusting for a young player to read.

Are you for real?

Firstly, anyone is entitled to their opinion on this site.

Secondly, in regards Geoffs post destroying the players confidence, have you any proof that this is the case?
I would suggest otherwise, and in all honesty, if a post from a fan website destroys a players confidence then I would suggest the player is in the wrong game altogether, I have never heard such utter crud.

Dann and Fox left the club because they went onto better things, end of. To suggest otherwise is again, utter crud.

I also think your assassination of Geoff is a lot worse then Geoffs of Benning.

Get a life and take the message board for what it is.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 pm

I think that Whitters will be feasting on fish for a few days :D

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I think that Whitters will be feasting on fish for a few days :D

Good to see Sheff coming to Geoff's assistance.
He knows all about player assassination after the Jamie Lawrence incident long ago.

Can Sheff now be classed as being part of the clique after being an outcast and the board idiot for so long?

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 pm

tinned wrote:More hand-wringing nonsense.

1. I can't believe any professional player would a) be bothered to read these sites or b) be the slightest bit bothered what fans wrote if they did read.

2. Do you really think that comments on s website would be the biggest deciding factor when considering to move clubs? I suggest career progression and/or increase in wages would completely eclipse any minor fan criticism. There will be critics at any club a player goes to. If they want to be (relatively) well paid sportsmen then I suggest a backbone is required.

1. If there was a website containing comments for the place you worked, comments about the staff, would you get into it and check out the comments?
Of course you would, and you're lying if you say you wouldn't.
Remember the comments (threats) on here from Julian Bennett (or one of his close "mates") when someone took the urine on here about him joining Salop? And he was an ex-player at the time, not even a current one.
2. It's all part and parcel of the obsession at Walsall to abuse young players. So we end up having them celebrate to empty seats.
Is that what you want tinned?

Sometimes I think the hard core of 3,000 is comprised of a high percentage of dumbos.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Whitters wrote:

1. If there was a website containing comments for the place you worked, comments about the staff, would you get into it and check out the comments?
Remember the comments (threats) on here from Julian Bennett (or one of his close "mates") when someone took the urine on here about him joining Salop? And he was an ex-player at the time, not even a current one.
2. It's all part and parcel of the obsession at Walsall to abuse young players. So we end up having them celebrate to empty seats.

Sometimes I think the hard core of 3,000 is comprised of a high percentage of dumbos.

I presume you consider yourself as 1 of the high percentage aswell considering some of the cack you come out with on here.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I presume you consider yourself as 1 of the high percentage aswell considering some of the eartha you come out with on here.

Well, let's all abuse the young players then eh?

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Whitters wrote:
Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I presume you consider yourself as 1 of the high percentage aswell considering some of the eartha you come out with on here.

Well, let's all abuse the young players then eh?

No i think it should be a change of tactic by everyone and just abuse you for fun.
Gets my vote definately.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:27 am

Whitters wrote:

Well Whitters, I've read some crap on this message board over the years, probably wrote a fair bit too, and I'm sorry to have to tell you that your stuff above ranks up there with the most ridiculous.

This is a bleedin' football message board for Christ's sake, it's where we express our thoughts and opinions, good and bad, not somewhere we come to pat our players on their backs when they've performed badly, and tell them it doesn't matter. Of course it matters, it matters a lot, and when it matters we should and do say so. All the words I used were appropriate to the situations that I witnessed at the weekend.

In your overly-tolerant little world, I presume you think Benning was totally unaware of the truly dreadful errors he'd committed at Stevenage last weekend, and was totally aghast to log on here and find me having a go at him. This was over something he, of course, never realised he'd done until I came along and "assassinated him", as you put it. I bet the poor chap was almost suicidal! If he'd topped himself on Sunday, I'm sure the coppers would have been knocking at my door in next to no time.

Get a life Whitters, you're a grown-up (I presume) and so is he, if he wants to work in the world of football he'll have to take a lot more than these minor criticisms from me.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 am

The irony in someone bring told to man up by two grown men who withdrew their years of support after a transfer is astounding.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:32 am

Doesn't take long for my usual stalker to catch up as soon as I return to the board, does it? Childish or what?

It's pathetic, especially when he resorts only to personal remarks and makes no points whatsoever about the actual matters under discussion, which I may remind him were :

1. the matter of Mal Benning completely giving up the chase and allowing Stevenage's player to make his run into the penalty area unchallenged to score their 2nd goal, followed shortly afterwards by the horrendous error that gifted them their 3rd goal.

2. whether it's damaging to a player like Benning to be criticised (sorry "assassinated") on the message board and whether I've gone some way towards ruining his career.

I always thought the message board should be for talking about Walsall FC. No wonder I stay off here most of the time these days. Maybe Gaz, you could stay on subject and tell us what you thought of Benning's errors on Saturday.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 am

If you give criticism then be expected to take a bit.

Tis the way of the World.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am

What's personal about that? If you can't take criticism on something you've bellowed out like the preachy get by the Don Goodman statue, don't get on your high horse.

If an act bars someone from telling anyone else to man up, then withdrawing support of a club over a transfer is certainly up there.

Chin up.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Whitters wrote:

I presume you'll be going around the pubs after every game in case fans are critical of players. What happens if the player being talked about is at the next table? :o

OTT criticism is unhelpful but you're getting into a tizz over minor constructive criticism.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:What's personal about that? If you can't take criticism on something you've bellowed out like the preachy get by the Don Goodman statue, don't get on your high horse.

If an act bars someone from telling anyone else to man up, then withdrawing support of a club over a transfer is certainly up there.

Chin up.

Rubbish as usual, and nothing about the football which is the subject of this thread and was, incidentally, the subject of what I posted about Benning. To stay on thread, I asked you what you thought about Benning's errors on Saturday, so you talk some nonsense about Don Goodman's statue (whatever that's supposed to mean). Can we keep on subject and leave out the petty arguments that no-one else is interested in, have nothing to do with this thread, and just waste band-width? Or is that too much to ask?

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season