Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League One, Monday 21 Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Gillingham (H) League One, Monday 21 Apr, 3pm

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 am

Leatherman wrote:Anyone know why Purkiss wasn't on the bench?

Injured eye in training.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am

martkrugeleysaddler wrote:
Leatherman wrote:Anyone know why Purkiss wasn't on the bench?

Injured eye in training.

Thanks.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 am

Westcarr is an excellent number 10, and I reckon he'd get around 15 goals a season from that position. His movement, instincts etc are not those of a number 9 (albeit he's done a sterling job in a role he admits is not his best) and he'd have that bit of extra time playing behind the striker that benefits him - and think of the screamers he'd hit.

We still need a number 9 type player, but with Westy behind him, and with Bakayoko as the first sub. Personally i'd like someone nippy who plays on the shoulder of defenders, someone who is constantly on his toes, giving defenders a nudge, and making a nuisance of himself. The player needs to know the position though and not just be a case of "well he's quick so lamp him up front". We're too nice going forward and, while I don't want an 8 foot donkey who can't play, i'd love someone with a bit of an edge to their game.

The lack of a nasty streak costs us in games in my opinion. Butler is great at leading by example but doesn't give enough rockets out when we needs them, and neither do our other experienced pros (Taylor, the Chambers bros). I'm not saying we should turn into Stevenage - i'm a massive fan of the current style - but we do need a bit more physical presence and a fool or two in there. We're just too nice.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 am

kshammer wrote:We're just too nice.

Or put another way, we are too easy to defend against.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season