Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 29 Mar 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, 29 Mar 3pm

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:39 pm

IHTC. wrote:500 away fans, rather pathetic but there was a small group of people who refused to come due to our pricing of games for away fans especially for juniors.

and the fact they havent won in Walsall for 20 years. Apparently.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 pm

latviancheese wrote:
IHTC. wrote:500 away fans, rather pathetic but there was a small group of people who refused to come due to our pricing of games for away fans especially for juniors.

and the fact they havent won in Walsall for 20 years. Apparently.

I thought it was much longer than that :lol: . I suppose I could go and check but can't really be bothered.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:03 pm

6.5/10 entertainment level.

We should have went for the kill as 1-0 is a dangerous score to hold onto.
chambers bros were my men of the match.
very disappointed on westcarr reaction to the challenge/what was said in the aftermath.
hewitt to replace him for the next 3 games.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 am

Judging by the highlights i stand by my first thoughts.

Only sending off was the challenge on Westcarr. Which wasn't even given as a foul. How their man got sent off is baffling, quite frankly.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 am

latviancheese wrote:Judging by the highlights i stand by my first thoughts.

Only sending off was the challenge on Westcarr. Which wasn't even given as a foul. How their man got sent off is baffling, quite frankly.

Similar view to mine - watching in telly, the red card didn't seem as bad as it did at the time, but the tackle on Westcarr seemed a lot worse. The only thing I would add is that James Chambers isn't the sort to feign injury to get someone sent off, and it wasn't the cleverest of tackles.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:48 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Judging by the highlights i stand by my first thoughts.

Similar view to mine - watching in telly, the red card didn't seem as bad as it did at the time, but the tackle on Westcarr seemed a lot worse. The only thing I would add is that James Chambers isn't the sort to feign injury to get someone sent off, and it wasn't the cleverest of tackles.

If he did hit him it looked accidental. The fact that the ref didnt even give a foul for that challenge on Westy sums him up though. He had lost the plot at that point.

The ref was dire, like i said, he booked their right back for what was a perfect tackle, and he sent the wrong player off for them. He was rubbish, just glad we escaped with three points.

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:19 am

Guest wrote:No way will we win this! We have forgotten how to win...

...at home.

Worked again.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 am

Westcarr's reaction was nothing short of moronic.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:37 am

aaaae wrote:Westcarr's reaction was nothing short of moronic.

I agree. Pathetic way for a professional footballer to behave.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 am

tinned wrote:
aaaae wrote:Westcarr's reaction was nothing short of moronic.

I agree. Pathetic way for a professional footballer to behave.

The thing is , the play offs seemed gone a week ago, they are still a very long outside shot, but there was still a small chance. Without Westcarr for 3 games, there is no chance. I'd be surprised if we scored in any of the 3 games without him.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:47 am

on another note, about three rows behind me there was a few handbags with a couple of lads arguing about westcarr with them offering to take each other outside.

there are about three/four lads every week who i here shouting lazy westcarr (antagonizing fans who i would say are not big supporters of westcarr) i dont agree with getting on our players backs but these lads are riding westcarrs johnson every week and sound pathetic! did anyone else see it happening in block 4?
this is the most disappointing part of following walsall, some people just cant wait to have a go at their own players, little wonder they cant wait to get away at the end of the season.

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:02 pm

it was a good tackle on westcarr not a foul if you look westcarr bottles the challenge and the there players slips as he is winning the ball so it makes it look worse than it was

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:41 pm

bigbadsad wrote:it was a good tackle on westcarr not a foul if you look westcarr bottles the challenge and the there players slips as he is winning the ball so it makes it look worse than it was

If it was a good challenge why did he need 7 stitches? Did he blade himself like he is in the WWE?

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01 pm

watch the replay in slow motion

Blackheath Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm

A special mention for O'Donnell who I thought commanded his box very well yesterday his catching from some difficult crosses was great to see

rusky
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:13 pm

I agree with the earlier comment that Shrewsbury were possibly the worst team we've seen all season. I think that they were just happy to let us have the ball and tried to get as many behind the ball as possible, you can see why they are bottom four! I think their red card shouldn't have been and the initial challenge on Westcarr should've been a red. I'd like to see us being a bit more positive going forward, not enough running from the midfield or the wing backs. Final thought I don't normally go in the middle tier, but took a mate (who was pleasantly surprised with some of our football) and we sat in row B seat somewhere in the 40's, there was a lad in front of us in row A (obviously) who really should stop going, he must either play too much Xbox with his Walsall team winning everything, or think we are Real Madrid in disguise. He should of seen us under Barnwell or Hibbert

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 pm

I tried the Oyster Stout before the game yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.

As for the game, we were less bad than them and so deserved a narrow victory.

Be good if we at least match last year's haul of 68 points and 9th place.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:28 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
bigbadsad wrote:it was a good tackle on westcarr not a foul if you look westcarr bottles the challenge and the there players slips as he is winning the ball so it makes it look worse than it was

If it was a good challenge why did he need 7 stitches? Did he blade himself like he is in the WWE?

If he'd reacted to the challenge I could perhaps understand, but reacting to verbals from another player is pathetic.

His goal was a great finish though.

SWS1

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Noted the foul count, too (Oops! Almost missed the O out of "count"!) Walsall committed 5 Shroos 14 :shock: Shocking.
Agree, too: tackle on Westy clearest red card in years. :(
Westy also a silly boy :(
What could that Shrew have said? :? Something about a count without the "O" perhaps :mrgreen:

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:15 pm

SWS1 wrote:Noted the foul count, too (Oops! Almost missed the O out of "count"!) Walsall committed 5 Shroos 14 :shock: Shocking.

looking at recent stats on our games it seems that the opposition are way ahead on fouls commited against our players, plus more yellow cards.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 am

What a terribly low turn out (both us and them) for a so-called "local derby". Where the hell was everybody for this considering how much we bang on about our neighbours from Wales? Felt like a pre-season kick about in large parts as did the atmosphere.

Shrews - probably the worst team I have seen us play this season. We were dominant in possession in 1st half and should have put them out of the game by half time.

Mantom seemed quiet and Taylor wasn't at his best. The team looked to be in first gear most of the time.

As much as the tippy tappy possession football can be great, we have a number of players who too often look to knock it backwards with sideways and forwards being 2nd and 3rd choice for a pass. Also we do this plenty in midfield and around an opponent's box but seem to run out of ideas and incisiveness.

As for the Westcarr incident - I didn't see what happened at the time but on the highlights I couldn't see a "fight" or punches thrown or even the head butt mentioned. Sure he squared up to that player, chest to chest but it didn't look as bad as reports make out.

As much as we love Butler, for a ref-in-training and an example-setting captain, can he learn not to give all the back chat he hands out to refs?

On the plus side we won, Baxendale looked fresh and positive and Sawyers had a decent game.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:03 am

Age old story S.G.....team play well....supporters hopes go sky high....team reverts to type....fans stop going. Best just to enjoy it while it's good.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:37 am

Their blue and amber forum makes for some smug reading, complaining they can't compete with us financially!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm

martkrugeleysaddler wrote:Their blue and amber forum makes for some smug reading, complaining they can't compete with us financially!

But they get bigger gates, and don't pay rent, how could that possibly be :D :D

I'd imagine their budget is bigger than ours.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:38 pm

You don't hear anything from them when they bring 1000.....what was the volume like with 500 :lol:

Thinking back to the two games last year, this derby has lost 90% of it's bite in just 12 months.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm

Wonder what was said to Westcarr.
I'm sure Carl Ikeme heard - maybe he can be persuaded to let on...

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 am

WarsawPact wrote:Wonder what was said to Westcarr.
I'm sure Carl Ikeme heard - maybe he can be persuaded to let on...

I said a similar thing to my mate as it happened. :lol:

martkrugeleysaddler wrote:Their blue and amber forum makes for some smug reading, complaining they can't compete with us financially!

Dear oh dear oh dear. Is that a barrel I hear being scraped?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Super Gabor wrote:As much as we love Butler, for a ref-in-training and an example-setting captain, can he learn not to give all the back chat he hands out to refs?

I don't really understand what the issue is if I'm honest. If he is 'back chatting', he rarely gets booked for it, and he's supposed to be allowed a certain degree of contact with the referee as our captain.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Laughable. The number of loanees they've brought in this season alone has been of Paul Merson proportions. They've also got one of the league's best goalkeepers on the bench because he won't sign a new contract.

They can't compete with us financially. We spend our lesser budget way better than they spend theirs.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:As much as we love Butler, for a ref-in-training and an example-setting captain, can he learn not to give all the back chat he hands out to refs?

I don't really understand what the issue is if I'm honest. If he is 'back chatting', he rarely gets booked for it, and he's supposed to be allowed a certain degree of contact with the referee as our captain.

Agreed.

He doesn't get booked for it, so it can't be that bad. If it's anyone you want fighting your case, its your captain and certainly someone like Butler.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season