Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League One 22nd March 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League One 22nd March 3pm

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Another booking for Leyton Orient - James this time.....

Swindon Town 1 Preston North End 0 ...... pneThor, where are you????? :D

Attendance 5,779 btw - must be quite a lot of away fans there!!!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Another booking for Leyton Orient - James this time.....

Swindon Town 1 Preston North End 0 ...... pneThor, where are you????? :D

He's obviously sat in the corner of a very darkened room, chantin' mantra "sleeping giants, sleeping giants"
The men in white coats keeping a careful eye........

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Attendance : 5779 with visitors 613

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:Attendance : 5779 with visitors 613

So where have an extra 2,000 home fans come from? Was there a special offer on? say, free entry and everyone gets a fiver for turning up? (mind you the 'good' folk of Walsall borough STILL wouldn't turn up! :( )

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Two substitutions for Orient, on 68 min. Lisbie's now playing (second highest scorer....)

Orient have had four times as many goal attempts as in the first half already, and 3 corners in quick succession just before the substitutions.

20 minutes to hang on for us....should we introduce fresh legs??? Baxendale perhaps????

Sloppies 0 Bradford 1 (72 min) ----- edit, now 1-1 more or less straight away

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Looks like it's ALL Orient in the second half, three corners in a row, the equalizer can't be far off now.....

keep 'em out me babbies!!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Two substitutions for Orient, on 68 min. Lisbie's now playing (second highest scorer....)

Orient have had four times as many goal attempts as in the first half already, and 3 corners in quick succession just before the substitutions.

20 minutes to hang on for us....should we introduce fresh legs??? Baxendale perhaps????

Sloppies 0 Bradford 1 (72 min) ----- edit, now 1-1 more or less straight away

Don't be daft Welsh you know subs ain't allowed until the 88th minute!! :)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Wouldn't you know it......... 1-1 :( (which puts us down to 9th in the table)

Stevenage 2 MK Dons 2 now

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Had to happen, it was just too one way since the start of the second half, lets hope we can hang on for a point! :(

and the Dongs have just equalized too.... :?
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

No sympathy for Smith or any of the players.

We've had chances to put this game to bed and failed. Just no killer instinct whatsoever

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Wouldn't you know it......... 1-1 :(

A fluke apparently. A nothing shot deflected off a defender and looped over O'Donnell

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Baxendale on for Lalkovic (80 min)

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Somebody and his co-philosophers: "The first goal is the most important"

Others: No, scoring more than one goal is important....ideally more than the opponents

Will Walsall win another game this season?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Baxendale on for Lalkovic (80 min)

Has Deano had an obhoration, allowing a sub 10 minutes of play? He's probably not well, a bad curry last night perhaps?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Had a look at fixtures and we will finish in 12th spot if we keep cocking up our home matches.....

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:58 pm

sallian wrote:
Will Walsall win another game this season?

More than likely :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Had a look at fixtures and we will finish in 12th spot if we keep cocking up our home matches.....

12th will do me fine (I think I've waved goodbye to a top 6 finish) - but 12th means top half of the table, and a large cash collection from BetVictor :D :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Without trying to endear myself to the 'We've been unlucky' comment. Look at the things that have happened on this run.

Mantom's very questionable red card at PNE, Butler's red for the Dons penalty, the slip for the Crawley penalty which wouldn't happen on another day, Downing's freak own goal and 2 deflected late goals in matches we'd have won 1-0 earlier in the season or in good form. Whether you like it or not, there's been some bad performances and a fair chunk of bad luck all mixed together. If we finish in the top half, it'l be a season we can look back and be relatively pleased about - there's plenty of place worse we could be.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 pm

MK Dons....Didn't score the first goal Dean Smith! They were two nil down at Stevenage....and scored three in the last ten minutes.....PLEASE LEARN from your rivals.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Sadders wrote:Without trying to endear myself to the 'We've been unlucky' comment. Look at the things that have happened on this run.

Mantom's very questionable red card at PNE, Butler's red for the Dons penalty, the slip for the Crawley penalty which wouldn't happen on another day, Downing's freak own goal and 2 deflected late goals in matches we'd have won 1-0 earlier in the season or in good form. Whether you like it or not, there's been some bad performances and a fair chunk of bad luck all mixed together. If we finish in the top half, it'l be a season we can look back and be relatively pleased about - there's plenty of place worse we could be.

Yes and look at what else has happened:

We've not scored 2 goals once

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Sadders wrote:Without trying to endear myself to the 'We've been unlucky' comment. Look at the things that have happened on this run.

Its a season of missed opportunity due to weak footballing philosophy and poor attack.....Walsall have squeezed out some good results against some of the top teams this season...but have been bankrupt up front and have been poor as many times as they have been good. Every team has setbacks to deal with. From a resources point of view....12th isn't that bad, but from an oportunity point of view it is frustrating because minor tactical adjustments and attacking emphasis, directness...they would have probably made the play offs comfortably.
Last edited by sallian on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Can someone please let Smith know that the laws of the game allow you to make a substitution before the opposition score.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:11 pm

The decline accelerated after the 5-1 Notts County declaration "See our attack is fine"...or something like that.

lesson: Don't call a woman a beauty after just once glance

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Yes and look at what else has happened:

We've not scored 2 goals once

No, don't get me wrong I'm not accepting of the run. There's been some Hutchings style dross but also a good truck load of bad luck. Those things go against you when your in bad form, just like Miller's penalty miss and Eaves donkey miss at Shrewsbury went for us during November and December.

'O'in the middle

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Walsall are a good side, the lack of a forward line is plain to see. The money received for the players who went to Brentford and Forest have cost you dearly.I have no idea how much you spent on the current forwards, it wasnt enough! Don't shout at me, i just speak the truth.

The draw was a bad result for both sides. :|

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:20 pm

I see Sallian was too busy on here with his constant annoying nonsense than to actually go and support the lads again.

Why do we have to suffer this every time, yet when we win he is nowhere to be seen?

Either go to the games and support & then come on here with your thoughts or just go away.

Amazing attendance all things considered, the Orient fan was someway of his prediction of 1200 away fans though :shock:

'O'in the middle

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I see Sallian was too busy on here with his constant annoying nonsense than to actually go and support the lads again.

Why do we have to suffer this every time, yet when we win he is nowhere to be seen?

Either go to the games and support & then come on here with your thoughts or just go away.

Amazing attendance all things considered, the Orient fan was someway of his prediction of 1200 away fans though :shock:

There were many of us in 'O' block. Geoff Dance and Ray Graydon included!!! Supporting Walsall of course. :D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:31 pm

'O'in the middle wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I see Sallian was too busy on here with his constant annoying nonsense than to actually go and support the lads again.

There were many of us in 'O' block. Geoff Dance and Ray Graydon included!!! Supporting Walsall of course. :D

So 3 people equates to nearly 600? I know they say you get less for your money in London but that's ridiculous...

Didn't think one of those blocks held that many :wink:

'O'in the middle

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
'O'in the middle wrote:

So 3 people equates to nearly 600? I know they say you get less for your money in London but that's ridiculous...

I've never been good with numbers!! I'm in Walsall until Tuesday if you'd like to give me yours! :wink:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:38 pm

'O'in the middle wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
'O'in the middle wrote:

I've never been good with numbers!! I'm in Walsall until Tuesday if you'd like to give me yours! :wink:

Are you coming on to me 'O' in the middle? :shock:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season