Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League One 22nd March 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League One 22nd March 3pm

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Sawyers is fine if the oppo stand off him and give him time to pick out a pass. Unfortunately as soon as anyone looks like tackling him he poos himself and loses the ball.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Blackheath Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Blackheath Saddler wrote:I'd like to see Baxendale in for Sawyers Tuesday night. Sawyers needs toughening up he's got all the attributes to be a quality player but the way he jumps out of tackles is pathetic its as though he's scared of getting hurt. Teams know all you need to do against Sawyers is put a foot in they've won the ball everytime

Sawyers isn't a tough-tackler by any means, but he's about the only player in our side who looks like creating a chance. I don't think the fact that he jumps out of tackles is a strong enough reason to drop him.

Imo Sawyers hasnt been playing great for some time now i just feel Baxendale deserves a chance in his proper position and not on the wing weather Sawyers is tired i dont know? I dont feel hes had the same impact in games as he did before

Sawyers being tired is a good reason to drop him. That wasn't the reason you gave originally though.

Don't even buy this stuff about Sawyers always losing the ball every time he's closed down either. He's got as good a first touch and eye for a pass as anyone in our squad. What's deteriorated as the season's gone on is the movement in front of him.

Blackheath Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Blackheath Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Blackheath Saddler wrote:I'd like to see Baxendale in for Sawyers Tuesday night. Sawyers needs toughening up he's got all the attributes to be a quality player but the way he jumps out of tackles is pathetic its as though he's scared of getting hurt. Teams know all you need to do against Sawyers is put a foot in they've won the ball everytime

Sawyers isn't a tough-tackler by any means, but he's about the only player in our side who looks like creating a chance. I don't think the fact that he jumps out of tackles is a strong enough reason to drop him.

Imo Sawyers hasnt been playing great for some time now i just feel Baxendale deserves a chance in his proper position and not on the wing weather Sawyers is tired i dont know? I dont feel hes had the same impact in games as he did before

Sawyers being tired is a good reason to drop him. That wasn't the reason you gave originally though.

Don't even buy this stuff about Sawyers always losing the ball every time he's closed down either. He's got as good a first touch and eye for a pass as anyone in our squad. What's deteriorated as the season's gone on is the movement in front of him.

Just because I didn't say tiredness was down to his form in my original post doesn't mean I didn't think it at the time :wink: suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Can't believe the stick some of the fans were giving their striker in the closing stages of the game. Maybe I wasn't watching the same game as everyone else but it looked like O'donnell clothes-lined their striker and took him straight out WWE style. Very fortunate to not concede a penalty IMO.

On the whole though it was a much improved performance and we needed that second goal whilst we were on top in the first half, the equaliser was very lucky but we sort of sat back and brought it on ourselves in a way.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Baxendale should be tried out as the central striker, or one of two (along with Lalkovic)

Baxendale has the alertness and trickery to create openings and he is likely a better finisher than Noooogoood, Sawyers, Hewitt & Westcarr....he is also fast over very short distances maybe ....just the sort of thing needed to break from a defender to make a chance or get on the end of a pass.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 am

sallian wrote:Baxendale should be tried out as the central striker, or one of two (along with Lalkovic).

I'm all for trying new things given the run we're on, but that's a ludicrous suggestion. Imagine seeing either of them trying to play with their back to goal. :lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
sallian wrote:Baxendale should be tried out as the central striker, or one of two (along with Lalkovic).

I'm all for trying new things given the run we're on, but that's a ludicrous suggestion. Imagine seeing either of them trying to play with their back to goal. :lol:

I liked the use of "likely" and "maybe" to back up his clueless idea.

I think O'Donnell should play up front. He's tall and so is likely to be good in the air and can kick the ball hard and so would maybe shoot well.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

sallian wrote:Baxendale should be tried out as the central striker, or one of two (along with Lalkovic)

Baxendale has the alertness and trickery to create openings and he is likely a better finisher than Noooogoood, Sawyers, Hewitt & Westcarr....he is also fast over very short distances maybe ....just the sort of thing needed to break from a defender to make a chance or get on the end of a pass.

He also has no upper body strength and gets bullied off the ball too easily. His confidence has been destroyed by being played out wide, what do you think it would do to him having lumps kicked out of him by 6'3" lumps for 90mins?

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:37 pm

kshammer wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I liked the use of "likely" and "maybe" to back up his clueless idea.

I think O'Donnell should play up front. He's tall and so is likely to be good in the air and can kick the ball hard and so would maybe shoot well.

Walsall attack is so poor that, your idea as not as ridiculous as you imply

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 pm

saddler_nic wrote:
sallian wrote:Baxendale should be tried out as the central striker, or one of two (along with Lalkovic)

He also has no upper body strength and gets bullied off the ball too easily. His confidence has been destroyed by being played out wide, what do you think it would do to him having lumps kicked out of him by 6'3" lumps for 90mins?

A central position gives him more directions to run or pass to...he could also draw fouls ....a change of position can give him confidence

When you are losing matches anyway and forwards are poor and almost on a zero output level....nothing is lost by trying other things....the play offs have gone.

He is an attacking player....so it makes sense to give him a chance at what everyone else has been failing at, especially when people say he prefers to be central anyway.....a more advanced position means his beating of a man only leaves a goalkeeper to beat.

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:44 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I can imagine both of them playing with back to goal and either turning the defender...laying off an accurate pass or being pushed down in the penalty area....all three options favourable....the worst scenario is that they do equal to current forward set-up....which means achieving little and hardly every scoring.

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 pm

The times I have seen Lalkovic playing centrally...he was wasted with poor service and isolated with no close support striker...a combined failure of management's formation and the other players poor passing/decision making......none of it was Lalkovic's fault. If he had been given a succession of games in that position with players instructed to hit balls to him in space or to feet...with only one or two men to beat...he would have probably scored a bag of goals and created a load of chances for others.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm

sallian wrote:The times I have seen Lalkovic playing centrally...he was wasted with poor service and isolated with no close support striker...a combined failure of management's formation and the other players poor passing/decision making......none of it was Lalkovic's fault. If he had been given a succession of games in that position with players instructed to hit balls to him in space or to feet...with only one or two men to beat...he would have probably scored a bag of goals and created a load of chances for others.

What in real life?

Name the games Dickhead.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 pm

The Rotherham goal is a good example.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm still shocked we haven't tried an Ngoo/Brandy front 2. Height and strength causing problems next too a whippet midget. Obviously Brandy isn't a great finisher, but he'd create so many more problems for defenders, win us a minimum of 5 penalties and probably score 10 goals from that position. Lalkovic could work in the same position, but he's shown signs of not knowing what his position is yet, which is fair enough as he's still young. Does he have the natural instinct to be a number 9? Nope, not yet. Is he completely convincing as a winger? Meh, unsure. Does he have the mental game or brain to play as a number 10? Bit too raw for me.

I think he will come good at some point though, rather like Paterson - I suggest that one patch of good form will turn into a good player flourishing at some point.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:The times I have seen Lalkovic playing centrally...he was wasted with poor service and isolated with no close support striker...a combined failure of management's formation and the other players poor passing/decision making......none of it was Lalkovic's fault. If he had been given a succession of games in that position with players instructed to hit balls to him in space or to feet...with only one or two men to beat...he would have probably scored a bag of goals and created a load of chances for others.

What in real life?

Name the games Dickhead.

Peterborough at home was on telly so he's probably seen that one.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Sadders wrote:I'm still shocked we haven't tried an Ngoo/Brandy front 2. Height and strength causing problems next too a whippet midget.

The era of two up front with a big man/little chap combo are behind us. You don't see too many sides play an orthodox 4-4-2 nowadays and I certainly don't think we should start playing that system.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season