Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United (A) League One 15 Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
BAKOGEN?

Re: Rotherham United (A) League One 15 Mar, 3pm

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:49 pm

saddlerken wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:People should be shot for hashtaging, especially on a football forum.

I was trying to be young and hip, I failed.

People who think Baxendale is a good player and that it's a good idea to build a team around a dear should be shot.

Your friend should be shot the lying fool.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:People should be shot for hashtaging, especially on a football forum.

Good perfromance today, very close to the win we needed and we were incredibly unlucky.

Sawyers, Brandy and Westcarr were all very good offensively today, especially Sawyers.

Ben Purkiss' red card is absolutely laughable, two of the softest yellow cards in footballing history, what a joke these referees are.

Agree entirely, excellent performance today, we made Rothrum look very 'ordinary' throughout the match, it was only until that ridiculous sending off that they looked even capable of getting an equalizer, yet alone score the 3/4/5 that everyone expected.............
The difference was down to one name 'Mantom', he ran his socks off in midfield, we looked far more solid, and even threatening up front on occasions! Westcarr looks knackered, but did his best, Brandy was immense, and even Lalko taunted their defenders, so much so, that the home fans resorted to booing our players for having the audacity to be hacked down by their gorillas numerous times.
The absence of Downing/Benning seems to have produced a return to the flow of the team once again, mightily impressed with todays performance, Rothrum were lucky to have got away with the daylight robbery of two points which we richly deserved. What a pity more of the splendid & vocal turn out, did not wait to give the team rousing applause! :(
Can't wait for my next match at Bradford.
UTS well done lads, I hope more praise will be forthcoming from those that were there today!!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:40 pm

That odious human being Evans flippantly reckons they had 40 odd attempts on goal.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:45 pm

my prediction before the match was right. :wink:

wish i predicted the result 1-0 to us and who knows? :lol:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Thought we were going to hang on even with the sending off (it was a really stupid first booking) as they didn't look like scoring, in fact neither side really did. O'Donnell had to make one good save and their keeper came out and blocked one from Sawyers. Brandy was my man of the match, not only for when he goes forward but for the work he does tackling back helping the defence. Thought Butler was much better than the last time I saw him at Preston. Was talking to some Rotherham fans on the train & they were v impressed with Brandy and also thought it was one of their worst performances at home this season. They thought we wouldn't have been flattered if we'd come away with all 3 points. One of them waxed lyrical about Alan Buckley being one of his all time favourite players!
Liked the ground .. shows what a 11,500 capacity stadium can be like.

Ran from the stadium to just catch train to Doncaster only to find Hull train cancelled. Would have been much more annoying if we'd lost!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Anyone else who went to the game leave with ear ache thanks to that fudge awful speaker system they have installed, that they also thought would be a good idea to turn all the way up?

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I'd have snatched someone's hand off for a point before the game, but I think we were unfortunate not to hold on to the 3 points in the end. Annoying to concede so late as well.
A much better performance than Tuesday night's outing. Looked much more assured and a bit more direct which was refreshing, and we defended well making a free-scoring team look rather average. Brandy MOM for me, a handful all afternoon- Sawyers, Lalkovic worth a mention too. Great to have Mantom back!

Stupid sending off really- inconsistent refereeing overall I think as there were challenges made on Brandy and Sawyers more deserving of yellows than Purkiss's, but at the end of the day it cannot be used as the sole blame for 'only' a point.

Steve Evans - sponsored by Pukka Pies - claims that they had "99% of the play". :shock:

BAKOGEN?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 pm

saddlersjse wrote:I'd have snatched someone's hand off for a point before the game, but I think we were unfortunate not to hold on to the 3 points in the end. Annoying to concede so late as well.
A much better performance than Tuesday night's outing. Looked much more assured and a bit more direct which was refreshing, and we defended well making a free-scoring team look rather average. Brandy MOM for me, a handful all afternoon- Sawyers, Lalkovic worth a mention too. Great to have Mantom back!

Stupid sending off really- inconsistent refereeing overall I think as there were challenges made on Brandy and Sawyers more deserving of yellows than Purkiss's, but at the end of the day it cannot be used as the sole blame for 'only' a point.

Steve Evans - sponsored by Pukka Pies - claims that they had "99% of the play". :shock:

Nice report....I agree, Mantom is the main factor we got a result. Massively disappointing we haven't got where we deserve mind.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 pm

If playing hoofball with a team of 6ft plus giants got us into the playoffs I would be delighted. If your happy with our subuteo team playing tippy tappy sidewards passing with no pace and toothless in the final third of the pitch then you will be happy with the season ended halfway through March.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Much improved on recent performances and unlucky not to win. Were it not for the harsh red card we might have.

You could say the first booking was harsh, but Perkiss should never have given the ref the option. The second didn't even look like a foul.

Butler back to normal and James Chambers was excellent alongside him. Brandy and Sawyers made nuisances of themselves and it was a good finish from Milan - more of that please!

Was a bit disappointed with Westcarr. For once he actually did seem lazy and I think that contributed to some promising counter attacks petering out into nothing as there was no real outlet in the centre.
Last edited by pumajaguar on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:04 am

Graydon48 wrote:If playing hoofball with a team of 6ft plus giants got us into the playoffs I would be delighted. If your happy with our subuteo team playing tippy tappy sidewards passing with no pace and toothless in the final third of the pitch then you will be happy with the season ended halfway through March.

The above explains why most of your posts are negative. Why support a club like Walsall, if only winning makes you happy?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:05 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:If playing hoofball with a team of 6ft plus giants got us into the playoffs I would be delighted. If your happy with our subuteo team playing tippy tappy sidewards passing with no pace and toothless in the final third of the pitch then you will be happy with the season ended halfway through March.

The above explains why most of your posts are negative. Why support a club like Walsall, if only winning makes you happy?

I do enjoy winning. Weird that isn't it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 am

Graydon48 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

No, but in the case of supporting a football team you are not the one doing the winning are you? You have no control, whatsoever, over the outcome. Therefore, if being associated with winning is so important to you, why support a club that will more often than not disappoint. That's weird, isn't it?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 am

Glad to have seen lots of 'positive' reports for what was afterall a good performance against a supposedly free flowing team that scores goals for fun, is in the play off's, and was going to thump us!
Strange that all the negativity stems from folk who were not AT the match, you missed a good game, shame you couldn't make the effort!
Have to say what a fabulous stadium they have built, that is what a footy stadium should look like, not a tinpot breezeblock abomination that is the jerrybuilt Bescot! Pity about the top volume speakers, with music :? that carried on well after the kick off's!

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

No, but in the case of supporting a football team you are not the one doing the winning are you? You have no control, whatsoever, over the outcome. Therefore, if being associated with winning is so important to you, why support a club that will more often than not disappoint. That's weird, isn't it?

There is room for both styles. The tippy-tappy stuff, the flicks and the neat triangles are great to watch - the way Sawyers uses his footwork to get past players is breathtaking at times. However, if you are chasing games you need the Plan B that a lot of us were crying out for. Plan B (hoofing it up to Ngoo) was deployed against Crewe and got us the equalizer. It wasn't pretty but it was effective and exciting to watch, but I wouldn't want 90 minutes of it though.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:09 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

There is room for both styles. The tippy-tappy stuff, the flicks and the neat triangles are great to watch - the way Sawyers uses his footwork to get past players is breathtaking at times. However, if you are chasing games you need the Plan B that a lot of us were crying out for. Plan B (hoofing it up to Ngoo) was deployed against Crewe and got us the equalizer. It wasn't pretty but it was effective and exciting to watch, but I wouldn't want 90 minutes of it though.

I agree with that, and sometimes winning ugly, as the saying goes is OK. I do not want us to set up as a hoofball team though. Also, quoting Rotherham is subjective - why not Stevenage? In any case, that is not the nub of the debate. Graydon is basically saying that he doesn't care what style we employ as long as we are winning.

I am arguing that if your number one reason for supporting a football team is winning, then history shows that choosing Walsall is a bad call, particularly as you have no control over the outcome. History has also shown that whichever style the incumbent manager has chosen to play, we have mostly occupied the lower regions of the football league.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Glad to have seen lots of 'positive' reports !

Me too, and the fact that one of them came from your good self suggests we must have played well.

Very good point. The play-offs have gone for us, so it is each game on its merits now an yesterday was a great result. Shame about the late equaliser - poor old Downing must have walked under a ladder whilst tripping over a black cat a few weeks ago as nothing is going for him.

Looking at the brief highlights I do sometimes wonder how many points a season we don't pick up by being such a nice bunch of people. Look at the way Evans gets the two yellow cards for Purkiss. Look at our old mate Lambert and his cronies coming on the pitch at Villa to ensure the ref shows red. We tend to let the ref make his own mind up. At Tranmere, Lalkovic was taken at the knees right in front of the dug-outs. I think O'Kelly and Smith politely put their hands in the air but there certainly wasn't the sprint towards the pitch that Evans and his like love so much and other than when we feel badly done to by a decision (i.e when it is too late to have any influence) we certainly didn't attend the Gary Neville school of ref surrounding. It's nice that we're nice but it does cost us at times.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

BAKOGEN? wrote:Is everyone happy with second best when we don't have to be?????

You know what, you're right - we could go back to the days of Chris Hutchings sat in the dugout, overseeing Manny Smith punt aimless balls to a one-paced Jon Macken, as Anton Peterlin and Richard Taundry fail to pick up the scraps.

Yesterday didn't impress me as such, but with the likes of Sawyers, Lalkovic, Brandy and Mantom trying their best to play football, we do at least give ourselves a fighting chance. If your post was actually supposed to imply that with a bit more money invested in the squad, we could do better, I agree with you. But yesterday's opponents also offer quite a poignant example of how dangerous it is to disregard the sensible management of your football club.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm

PT wrote: We tend to let the ref make his own mind up.

Not while Butler is on the pitch we don't! :mrgreen:

How he isn't sent off in nearly every game, for gobbing off at the referee and assistant referees, I'll never know. Maybe the referees cut him a bit extra slack as he is the captain (and/or fellow referee)?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm

rotherham were crap, wouldnt of thought they would of ever scored had it remained 11 v 11.

we changed something on saturday and it worked, so hopefully were onto a decent formula once again, i would say the last couple of months could be very interesting.

watch this space

also massive well done to those who followed the lads, made a great atmosphere from start to finish was a real credit to the club.

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:55 am

brummie saddler wrote:rotherham were crap, wouldnt of thought they would of ever scored had it remained 11 v 11.

we changed something on saturday and it worked, so hopefully were onto a decent formula once again, i would say the last couple of months could be very interesting.

watch this space

also massive well done to those who followed the lads, made a great atmosphere from start to finish was a real credit to the club.

Must have been nice to be stalked on the motorway as well. :D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 am

ws3 wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:rotherham were crap, wouldnt of thought they would of ever scored had it remained 11 v 11.

watch this space

Must have been nice to be stalked on the motorway as well. :D

it was lovely seeing so many animated saddlers next to me with their victory salutes :)

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:26 am

I'm sitting here smiling, imagining what sort of women you like.
My guess is it's the sort that served in the Red Army, have hairy armpits and legs, have moustaches, need a boatload of makeup to look human and are much bigger than a brick outbuilding.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Whitters wrote:

I'm sitting here smiling, imagining what sort of women you like.
My guess is it's the sort that served in the Red Army, have hairy armpits and legs, have moustaches, need a boatload of makeup to look human and are much bigger than a brick outbuilding.

Whips and chains. Ball clamps and nipple tassles.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season