Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers (H) League One 8 Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers (H) League One 8 Mar, 3pm

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:Can't we have a vote to ban certain posters?

I take this back. Defeats the point of a forum

No don't. I'd vote to have this knob banned, he makes PNEnder (or whatever his carers let him call himself) look intelligent!

We already have one moanin ***khead on this forum (me :lol: ) so there is no room for an utter loony that makes the site a laughing stock!

Well done the lads by the way, my Dingle family are just loving this moment... :(

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I quite like sallian, he makes some good points.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:Can't we have a vote to ban certain posters?

I take this back. Defeats the point of a forum

No don't. I'd vote to have this knob banned, he makes PNEnder (or whatever his carers let him call himself) look intelligent!

We already have one moanin ***khead on this forum (me :lol: ) so there is no room for an utter loony that makes the site a laughing stock!

Well done the lads by the way, my Dingle family are just loving this moment... :(

Haven't you tried to disown them long ago?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:21 pm

The one outstanding difference between the two teams was the most important one - finishing. Whereas the Dingles had players who posed a threat up front, we didn't. At long last, Westcarr was dropped but this merely served to expose how thin our attacking options are. To be fair, Hewitt tried his best - indeed, he put in more effort in the first ten minutes than Westcarr has done in the previous ten games. However, Hewitt lacks body strength. He was frequently muscled out (and fouled) by Stearman and Batth and when he did get a shot away, it always lacked power. Michael NoClue came on near the end but I think that Deano now realises that he has made a big mistake with this particular loan signing.

Having listened to too much of barclays and his radio programme and having read the propaganda from the Excuse & Dingle, I expected more from them, to be honest. Their second goal was a fluke and the third one came from a highly debatable free-kick (well-struck by Sako, though, I must admit). 3-0 definitely flattered them. They did have the best player on the pitch in Michael Jacobs. He ran the show in midfield.

Once again, we showed our prowess at "training ground possession football". We reached the opposing penalty-area and then tip-tapped the ball around while the opposition were able to drop back and reorganise. Bob Paisley once said, when told by one of his forwards that he wasn't sure what to do with the ball in the penalty-area "Just stick the ball in the net and we'll discuss your options later!". That should be pinned up on the dressing-room wall!

Our play in the attacking third and particularly our shooting must surely be the focus of the training sessions? If it isn't, it damn well should be.

Let's just hope that Peterborough's minds are on the Johnstone's Paints Trophy Final, over the coming weeks. Bring on Crwho?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Poor performance, again.

We now attack so slowly, and with such a lack of confidence that opposing teams find it a doddle to defend against us. 7 games without a win and 4 defeats on the bounce, Dean Smith needs to freshen it up - I dont mean personnel, I mean our approach to the game. It's an approach at the moment that just isnt working. We're not creating chances, we're slow, ponderous, sloppy at the back, no one is making runs.

We deserved nothing from the game today, Wolves were the better side and deserved the 3 points. They created roughly 6 chances and scored 3, albeit one of those was a fluke. We create 2 chances, both headers, both hit weakly too close to the keeper. They look a good side, but certainly not that good when you think of the better teams to have graced this division over the past few years. They'll be mid-table fodder next year and Jackett will be on his way.

Oh well, move on to Tuesday and lets try and score some goals Deano - goals win games, goals take pressure off defenders, goals breed confidence and we've scored 4 in 7. Sort it out.

A word for Carl Ikeme, Aaron McCarey and Paul Franks.

Ikeme, you are a total ponce. Gesturing to the Walsall fans and taunting them. There was no racist abuse towards you, so don't play the race card. You're just a classless moron. You played in a side that beat Walsall, well done. When you win a medal above League 1, then you can start being cocky, for now, get lost you utter prick.

McCarey, celebrating in front of the Walsall fans who supported you during what was a pretty poor loan spell. Again, you'd only won a game, one you didnt play in. Enjoy life as a lower league journey man keeper. There will be many days when you freeze your bits off in front of 2000 people and lose the game. Lets see you celebrate then, ay?

And finally, Paul Idiot Franks. Peddling unfounded rumours about racist abuse from Walsall fans live on air leaves a horrid taste in the mouth. The fact of the matter is that the players from your beloved Wolves taunted the Walsall fans. God only knows how you still have a job with the BBC, the biggest insult I can throw at you Paul is that you are a total, complete and utter, 24 carrot gold Wolves fan. You sum them up perfectly, ignorant and thick with your head in the clouds.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SWS1

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Betties bowlox. :evil:

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Three nil was harsh but Wolves were the better side. First half was even, but the second goal within three minutes of the restart killed it. Plenty of sideways and backwards passing as per usual, it's just too easy to defend against. The worrying thing is that it is no longer compensated for by a mean defence. I don't think Butler's had a run of bad form like this since he joined and Downing has gone into a slump as well.

Hewitt's inclusion shocked me and he did ok considering he was thrown into a big game after barely kicking a ball in months. Lalkovic was utterly ineffective, Sawyers wasn't much better, he has some good ideas but is too slow to execute them. Brandy was the only one of our attackers to trouble Wolves and should have scored with at least one of his two free headers. Smith's decision to take him off had me baffled.

The playoff dream is dead, but we've just got to beat Crewe on Tuesday and put an end to this run before it turns into a repeat of last season.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:34 pm

In all my life I have never known a smell like that :shock:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Once again, we showed our prowess at "training ground possession football". We reached the opposing penalty-area and then tip-tapped the ball around while the opposition were able to drop back and reorganise.

pissy passy tippy tappy 10 midfielders, no strikers, no penetration, no excitement, no aggression, nothing.

Absolute load of cack.

Worst 'derby' Ive ever seen.

It's March and we STILL don't have a striker nor a tactic to find a striker.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Fair play to Wolves. They were better than us and took there chances. They're only top of League One though. Don't get dreaming of the champions league just yet.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Dicko, Ikeme and McCarey are all tools. Deserved a good thumping up the bum.

Dicko abuses and taunts the fans, provoking the yobs.

Ikeme gestures to the fans and makes false accusations about us all being racists.

McCarey (who looks about 40) goes and celebrates and teases us despite the fact we gave him our support even though he was garbage whilst he was with us.

3-0 flattered them, tight game and if we performed like that every week, we would be in the play-offs.

UTS!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 pm

TheSwift wrote:if we performed like that every week, we would be in the play-offs.

Hi, what planet are you on?

mossa

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm

I thought we tried hard and battled but the difference in class was there to see today. We have to be honest and say we were deservably massive underdogs today and it showed.The Dingles are on a fantastic run and their budget dwarfs ours. Taking this into consideration we should remind ourselves how fantastic we did to win at the Molinuex.

As for today, the better team won no doubt. Id be surprised if they don't win the league comfortably now, whereas top 10 looks a long way away with our recent form. If only we could a sign a player like Dicko, he would be exactly what we need. This has been our weakness most of the season, we lack the quality consistantly in the final third. I don't blame Smith today,the changes made sense to me. Downing is out of form and Westcarr probably needs a rest. I think Lalkavic needs resting/dropping as well now and see if Hemmings want to battle for his spot and play for a new contract. I think whatever team we piut out today we would have most probably lost.
Totally agree with comments made about Ikeme, a complete and utter moron and credit to O'Donnell for confronting him.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Wolves XI cost a conservative £6m in transfer fees. That's not to mention the vast sums lavished on the likes of Clarke, O'Hara, Ward, Foley, Johnson, Doyle and Sigurdarson who can't even get in the squad or are farmed out on loan. I would be very surprised if there has ever been a more expensive team at this level. The fact that we're quibbling over a bit of quality in the box means that we're doing OK. We should have been sharper, Brandy should have taken his chances, but that's the way it is for clubs of our calibre. The alternative is to burn a load of cash and end up £30m in the hole like Wolves did last year. That money bought them relegation and a dearth of class. Kenny Jackett was respectful, as always, but the attitude of some of their players was disgusting.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Ok, best team won on the day but don't some of their players have massive ego/intelligence issues. They'll be fine when they are winning in L1 but they may have issues with some attitudes when life gets harder in the Championship.

With regard to the game, we hassled and pressed well in the first 30 mins but after the first goal went in, the heads seem to drop. Also, the passing was far too slow and the movement was poor. All signs of a team which is low on confidence which is not surprising after the poor run we have been on.

On the plus side, the gesturing/stand-off between the chavs in the corner of the ground before the game was quite entertaining! The Police seemed to take a while to turn up to sort it out though.

Roll on Crewe - a good win will do us the world of good.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Thought deano made the right changes for the starting line up

Apart fromTaylor who was not fit and shouldn't have started

1st 2 goals came from balls over on his side and he gave the free kick away for the 3rd with a tired challenge

Sawyers did well and featherstone had some nice touches but I wish mantom had been on to have some of the shooting chances falling to featherstone.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Cowshed wrote:Apart fromTaylor who was not fit and shouldn't have started

1st 2 goals came from balls over on his side and he gave the free kick away for the 3rd with a tired challenge

I think there's some truth to that - he had a lot of strapping on his leg. However, I'd add that Lalkovic gave him no cover for either of the first two goals, not a lot he could do to deal with two men.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Well the only blessing if they do go up is that we won't have to put up with this ridiculous circus again:
Franksy
10000 chavs from nowhere
McCarey the greatest reserve keeper in history (bad luck Gilmartin)
Unfounded allegations

They couldn't hack it last time in Division 2.
Do they think they can this time?
A good manager like Kenny Jackett can only do so much for thick footballers. (C) Saddlerken

Let's not forget over this season it's been one win, one loss and one draw

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:10 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:I quite like sallian, he makes some good points.

thanks fellow supporter ;)

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Cowshed wrote:Thought deano made the right changes for the starting line up

Apart fromTaylor who was not fit and shouldn't have started

Sawyers did well and featherstone had some nice touches but I wish mantom had been on to have some of the shooting chances falling to featherstone.

Wolves seemed to be targeting Sawyers, he was on the receiving end of some rough challenges, at least one (I think two) of their bookings were for fouls on him.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Pedagogue wrote:The one outstanding difference between the two teams was the most important one - finishing. Whereas the Dingles had players who posed a threat up front, we didn't. At long last, Westcarr was dropped but this merely served to expose how thin our attacking options are. To be fair, Hewitt tried his best - indeed, he put in more effort in the first ten minutes than Westcarr has done in the previous ten games. However, Hewitt lacks body strength. He was frequently muscled out (and fouled) by Stearman and Batth and when he did get a shot away, it always lacked power. Michael NoClue came on near the end but I think that Deano now realises that he has made a big mistake with this particular loan signing.

Having listened to too much of barclays and his radio programme and having read the propaganda from the Excuse & Dingle, I expected more from them, to be honest. Their second goal was a fluke and the third one came from a highly debatable free-kick (well-struck by Sako, though, I must admit). 3-0 definitely flattered them. They did have the best player on the pitch in Michael Jacobs. He ran the show in midfield.

Once again, we showed our prowess at "training ground possession football". We reached the opposing penalty-area and then tip-tapped the ball around while the opposition were able to drop back and reorganise. Bob Paisley once said, when told by one of his forwards that he wasn't sure what to do with the ball in the penalty-area "Just stick the ball in the net and we'll discuss your options later!". That should be pinned up on the dressing-room wall!

Our play in the attacking third and particularly our shooting must surely be the focus of the training sessions? If it isn't, it damn well should be.

Let's just hope that Peterborough's minds are on the Johnstone's Paints Trophy Final, over the coming weeks. Bring on Crwho?

This post above gives me encouragement about our supporters...

and this had me laughing loud "...Michael NoClue.." thats funnier than my Nnnnoooogooood distortion of his name.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:18 pm

I came away from that game with a bitter taste in my mouth - and only partially because of our recent run of form.

Wolves weren't much better than us in other areas, but what they did do was take their chances very clinically. I don't have a problem with that - the £8 million parachute payment they received in the summer means they were always going to have players who were quicker, stronger and more ruthless than their opposite numbers.

Smith's decision to drop Downing and Westcarr for Purkiss and Hewitt was something I found quite refreshing, and I don't think we were any worse for it. The problem is, we still looked lacklustre in the final third, and now seem to be in a position where Smith doesn't know who to pick up front. Reading his post-match comments, maybe the changes were more a case of rotation with a view to bringing Downing & Westcarr back in on Tuesday.

We missed Mantom more than I ever thought we would today. Featherstone's generally good at keeping things balanced and simple, but he seems to need an extra 5 seconds on the ball than anyone else in midfield, and kept finding himself swamped as he dwelled on the ball. He also has no inclination to shoot even when he gets within 20 yards of goal, and was one of the main culprits of our impotence as soon as we got to the edge of their penalty area. Saying that, for a much more attacking player, Sawyers was just as bad.

Their fans are morons, as we all knew before this game, before the last one, and before the season even started. Yet all the attention given to them by part-time Walsall fans we won't see in the stands again this season gave them little option other than to rub their superiority in our faces. The bloke who ran on the pitch when Dicko scored his first looked more scared of Dicko than vice versa, which was laughable. As much as I briefly enjoyed having a big-ish occasion and crowd at the Banks's for a change, I soon realised the downside to that, which is the increased proportion of morons in the terraces - on both sides. The scenes at the end involving McCarey & Ikeme were an absolute disgrace though - that pair wouldn't know the meaning of professionalism if it slapped them across the mouth.

Overall, I'm no more fussed we lost to Wolves than I was when we lost to Crawley. What's more worrying is where our next win's likely to come from.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:28 pm

fudge depressing, though it was exactly the result I expected. I'm looking forward to the "Jackets gorra goo" when the inbred mongs are 16th next season (the sort of average position he routinely got with Millwall). Put it in perspective, these Scunthorpe could spend 3x plus our club transfer record on Clarke knowing well that he'll be no bloody use to them in their version of the premier league next year. Best team I've seen in the 3rd that I've seen this season though that frankly says fudge all.

We looked jaded, thank fudge we've already got 47 points. The Dingles absolutely knocked the cack out of us today, but we didn't look up for it today. Honorable mentions to Sawyers (MoM comfortably) and the twins, thumbs down to lesser or larger degrees to the rest. Of our two premier league loanees, only one looked (Conference) Premier standard (Lalks) while Ngoo probably needs to start thinking of his next career (basket ball post?). Today showed what Mantom gives to the team.

Dicko lived up to his name and frankly deserved a thump from the chav who ran on the field - I'm sick of these pricks (who wouldn't have the balls to do this off the field) winding up opposing fans and getting away with it. Glad though that he didn't get the thump he deserved - given the standards of treatment we get from the league/FA, they'd have shut the Banks for the next 99 fudge years. And what the fudge is this racist bollocks?

Thoroughly depressed tonight. On a positive note though, is there anyway to ban Sallian without infringing his human rights? UTS (wearily)

bush360
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:43 pm

For those who have forgotten, Wolves are the spending club, they still have the parachute money from the Premiership so they can afford to spend big, Lord knows where we would be with a better setup, manager and fans.
All the stay aways for whatever reason, a better fanbase encourages more money being spent ion the team, Dean Smith has worked wonders, no money,
I am sure that the amount of wages they are paying for O'Hara and what they have received off Premier would buy our club from Mr Bonser
So to put todays results into perspective
Good luck to Wolves, I would love to have won but we did not but you are and still buying Div 1 players, good but next season they will not be good enough, so another big wage bill
Ref was certainly biased, gave specific important decisions only Wolves way
Brandy had two great chances
We seem to want to pass it back from their 18 yard line to the defence
We need to get a different plan as we have been rumbled, Wolves MK donkeys and crawley chased and harried us, would not let us settle and that was us done, yet we seem to want to let them pick a pass

But now off to pub to drown my sorrows, roll on Tuesday, kets hope we can reverse this current form and achieve safety

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 pm

TheSwift wrote:Dicko, Ikeme and McCarey are all tools. Deserved a good thumping up the bum.

Dicko abuses and taunts the fans, provoking the yobs.

Ikeme gestures to the fans and makes false accusations about us all being racists.

McCarey (who looks about 40) goes and celebrates and teases us despite the fact we gave him our support even though he was garbage whilst he was with us.

It's a strange world when you get a yellow card for taking off your shirt in celebration in front of your own supporters (eg Gerrard in front of Liverpool fans when he scored a 92nd minute winner at Fulham) but you can run to the furthest point away from your fans to celebrate a goal in the faces of bitter rivals without sanction. How is that right?

Yes, tanked up eejits in the lower tier shouldn't go over the barriers, but this sort of incitement causes problems everywhere.

JAL-WFC

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Same old. We could have played anyone in the league today and we still wouldnt score. We are so clueless as soon as we step foot into the oppositions half; it is as if we are afraid of attacking!

People keep banging on about this possession and total football that we play, which supposedly sets us apart from teams in the division. Well, the only reason it is setting us apart from other teams at the moment is because its lethargic, boring and predictable.

What has happened to the crisp passing and movement we saw earlier on in the season?

As others have said, I was both surprised and pleased that Smith changed it around today. Hopefully his post match comments after Wednesday night were just to try and keep a positive vibe in, what seems, a very unmotivated and demoralised squad. Hewitt did as well as he could against two big centre backs as he at least put himself about a bit.

Atmosphere was decent at the start, but as soon as we shot ourselves in the foot by letting in an early 2nd half goal, it was dead quiet in the Walsall end.

Very humorous seeing a middle aged man run on the pitch and square up to Dicko. Jackett probably told his players to rile up the crowd and thats just what he did. If only we had a striker of his calibre. McCarey is an absolute tool. Perhaps he should watch the replay of Swindon away last year and develop his extremely limited goalkeeping ability, rather than being an absolute prick. He wont go beyond League 1 the poor lad.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:40 pm

We missed Mantom loads today, Featherstone was just poor all game. Passed backwards or sideways too often when there were forward passes on. Was very surprised that Downing was dropped, but Chambers didn't do much wrong to be fair, but Brandy and Lalkovic were both much better (first half, anyway) than they were at Preston last week, but still not brilliant, or good enough to really trouble the defence. Hewitt did better than I thought he would. Won more headers than Westcarr did at Preston too, but 1 would have done that. Ngoo made a difference when he came on too, but still not enough.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 pm

I was impressed with Hewitt today given the lack of 1st team football. Don't get me wrong he wont get 10 goals if he played all season but his work rate , effort and attitude was 1st class.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 pm

It may sound a little silly to say about a team that has just won a game 3-0, but I expected Wolves to be better. They were as good as they had to be, I suppose.

Much has already been said about the clinical difference between the teams in the final third. I thought the main difference was the contrast in tempo of the respective attacking games. We looked comparatively drained... a team well & truly lacking confidence. The number of times we reverted to sideways or backwards passes, allowing Wolves to canter back & get bodies behind the ball almost at leisure, meant we regularly took the impetus out of our own attacks. Compared to our midfielders, McDonald looked positively energised, and was clearly thinking at about double the speed.

Anyway... playoffs are clearly too big an ask now. They were looking a long way off before today, in truth. Just hope we can turn this bad run around between now and May, and pick up some momentum to take into the next campaign, with the summer to solve the striker riddle that has plagued us this season, just as the goalkeeper one did last term.

JAL-WFC

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Dont think the fella had a chance...

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season