Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) League One Sat 1st Mar 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Preston North End (A) League One Sat 1st Mar 3pm

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Andy Taylor can penetrate whoever he likes. Then when they try to counter, he stands firm.

What a guy.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:25 pm

Benning has potential... I like him BUT...

we need Taylor so, so much.... and Featho and Bax deserve a go n all.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Graham Westley obviously had more influence on Preston than most of their fans would care to admit. Particularly admired the tactic of lying perfectly still in a foetal position clutching both legs until the ref booked/sent off one of our players.

Tom Finney would have been proud. As otherbournemouthsaddler said to me on the way out: "even the fudge statue's falling over".

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:12 am

bangsection wrote:Graham Westley obviously had more influence on Preston than most of their fans would care to admit. Particularly admired the tactic of lying perfectly still in a foetal position clutching both legs until the ref booked/sent off one of our players.

Tom Finney would have been proud. As otherbournemouthsaddler said to me on the way out: "even the fudge statue's falling over".

pwn.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am

latviancheese wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:With Benning
P11 Pts 12 Conc 15

With Taylor
P22 Pts 35 Conc 18

It's not as catastrophic as Taundry's "contribution" last season but if we had Taylor's points ratio for the whole season, we'd be level with Peterborough now.

Stats smatzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Downing has been playing with a permanent brain fart and Butler hasnt been that great lately. They are all to blame.

Mind you, i love Andy Taylor. He can penetrate.

I could suggest that the others' individual performances have been affected by not having Taylor in the back four. Probably pushing it too far. Nevertheless I think the goals conceded with Taylor missing vs Taylor playing are not a coincidence. Benning is OK, he's not terrible, it's just the back line plays as a team when one of those four is out for any period of time it has a significant effect. We're not wealthy enough to have someone of Taylor's quality in reserve, so it's just one of those things unless we can somehow cure his injury prone-ness.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 am

Mantom's sending off looked bizarre from behind the goal and looks an even stranger decision from the camera angle shown on the Football League Show. Straight 50/50 that he gets to first - the ball doesn't even deviate at a funny angle, it goes exactly where he was aiming. You'd expect it to be rescinded but I didn't think Butler's at Orient would be so this one will probably go the other way.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

bangsection wrote:Mantom's sending off looked bizarre from behind the goal and looks an even stranger decision from the camera angle shown on the Football League Show. Straight 50/50 that he gets to first - the ball doesn't even deviate at a funny angle, it goes exactly where he was aiming. You'd expect it to be rescinded but I didn't think Butler's at Orient would be so this one will probably go the other way.

I'm sorry but if that was a Preston player Walsall fans would be screaming for a red and rightly so. I don't think we have a cat in hells chance of it being rescinded.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:54 am

clawtheolder wrote:
I'm sorry but if that was a Preston player Walsall fans would be screaming for a red and rightly so.

Seriously? Not many of the Preston fans right behind the incident were "screaming for a red" they just applauded gently, happy that a decision had gone their way.

In his post-match interview even Grayson thought a red was harsh.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm

No way will that be rescinded. If that was on a Walsall player, we would be screaming for a red card, no denying it.

It falls into the "seen them given" category i guess.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Never a red, you could see the ref was just itching to show a red. Before the tackle even went in he was reaching for the card, if that is a red then 5 or 6 people need to be sent off every game.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Never a red, you could see the ref was just itching to show a red. Before the tackle even went in he was reaching for the card, if that is a red then 5 or 6 people need to be sent off every game.

I agree. He had been very deliberate with everything he had done to that point. He seemed to be doing "life stories" type interviews with some players throughout the game. The chat between him, Butler and Westcarr went on for about two minutes. When their bloke did the handball on the edge of the box there ensued a very lengthy conversation before the yellow came out. Then suddenly he's acting with a gay abandon and brandishing red within a second of a challenge. Just don't get it.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 pm

if thats a red then the norwich player who left stud marks across a villa players chest this afternoon should be looking at a lifetime ban. just got a yellow though! no consistancy!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Sandy saddler. You are exactly right, inconsistency is a huge problem with referees nowadays.

Too many refs implement a personal bias on rules and you end up with a sport where the officials have too much effect on the result of the game.

The FA should take some blame however because some of the changes that have happened over the last few years have been left far too open to interpretation - two footed tackles for example - yes if you leave the ground and jump feet first in to a tackle with little regard for the opposing players safety, that is dangerous and should warrant a red card. However, this ruling has allowed referees to send players off for what they deem is a two footed tackle, when in actual fact the majority of these tackles aren't two footed, but might look like it.

Yesterday's game and last week against Crawley gave seen 2 very poor refs, but we can't blame the refs for only scoring 3 goals in the last 5 games. This has been a problem all season and DS has failed to tackle the problem (no pun intended)

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

Bemused as to why Mantom was sent off. 50/50 challenge and his foot was ball height. He appeared to get to the ball first too.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:13 pm

In summary, we huffed and puffed, but didn't have anything like the kind of cutting edge you need to beat top six sides. I actually thought we had more about us than they did with the ball, but they put us under a lot more pressure at the back, and had the sort of quality set piece delivery you can always guarantee from a Simon Grayson team. We were always going to be in for a battle, so giving them a goal out of nothing wasn't the smartest of moves.

Although some have called into question Smith's decision to play Featherstone rather than Sawyers, I could see what he was trying to do - he wanted to frustrate them, have the crowd start to get edgy, and see if we could nick something from the game. Just before they scored their second (never a free kick by the way) we were doing just that. It was just a shame we'd already pressed the self destruct button once - just as we had against Crawley the week before.

To take some positives from the game, Sawyers and Baxendale both looked good when they came on, and O'Donnell recovered from the own goal to make a couple of really good saves. One low down to his left a couple of minutes after the own goal was about as good as you see in League One. On the flip-side however, Brandy was completely anonymous, Westcarr played as if we'd threatened him with a heavy fine if he even thought about venturing into the opposition penalty area, and Featherstone made a hash of a golden chance to equalise.

And then we come onto the red card. I was angry about Joe Garner's theatrics all afternoon, and I'm even more angry now I've seen the red card incident again. The ref must have taken all of half a second to flash the red card at Mantom, paying no attention to who got there first, or where the ball went. He'd been a homer all afternoon though, so I wasn't surprised to see one of ours get sent off.

A frustrating afternoon all round - especially with Peterborough losing. We could do with winning 2 of the next 3 really.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season