Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League One 22 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Crawley Town (H) League One 22 Feb 3pm

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Their second goal was just comical from a defensive point of view. Both fullbacks got caught too high up the pitch, Downing got caught flat footed, Butler was then marking no mans land and O'Donnell was also caught flat footed meaning he didn't come out and claim a floated ball across his 6 yards box.

As for the game, very frustrating. Deano got it massively wrong starting NGoo and Purkiss. As others have said, we stifled ourselves by lumping up to Ngoo too often and looked so much better when Sawyers came on. As for Purkiss, he's a decent fullback, but J.Chambers offers so much more both in attack and defence.

The player that was sent off for them was just stupid. The ref was dodgy all game and he just gave him a reason to send him off. He committed a foul, then pretended to be injured before whinging at the referee and then committing a stupid foul about a minute later. Booked, no arguments from me. But then to have a shot after the whistle had gone was just pure stupidity on his part.

Benning was my MOTM. Superb performance from him although I'd throw Taylor back in when fit.

As for Lalkovic, someone needs to have a serous word with him. Booked twice in two games for diving, I'm surprised no one seems to have picked up on it. Disgraceful and if he continues I'd ship him back to Chelsea with all the other over paid pre-madonnas.

Still to early to judge Ngoo, but the early signs aren't good. I still thing we need a striker but one in the mould of Grigg rather than a big lump.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

We needed a striker that can put his back to the defenders, hold up the ball, bring others into play, make darting runs etc etc. Instead we got a 6' 7" bloke that can only jump 6' 4" and "controls" the ball further than I can kick it.

The fact that Deano (supposedly) disagreed that we'd changed our whole game to suit one player is very worrying.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:56 pm

SWS1 wrote:"disinterested", Ancient? I think you mean UNINTERESTED.
Didn't you used to be a teacher?
(I think I may have got that wrong).
:D

Sooo sorry, English was never my strong point! :D
No I woz knot a teetcher, but I have an ACMA in accountancy! Can't stand accountants though, spent most of my life running my own companies.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 pm

tinned wrote:We needed a striker that can put his back to the defenders, hold up the ball, bring others into play, make darting runs etc etc. Instead we got a 6' 7" bloke that can only jump 6' 4" and "controls" the ball further than I can kick it.

The fact that Deano (supposedly) disagreed that we'd changed our whole game to suit one player is very worrying.

Not sure I agree (although it would have been a better option than what we got)

Forget all the nonsense about Grigg, he made our front line tick last season. He gained a lot of muscle, so could do what you said above quite well, but it was his off the ball movement that really made it work, he ran in to the channels, closed defenders down, created space, was generally a non stop nuisance. Westcarr has done a good job there this season, he has great off the ball movement too, it's a key skill for a forward player. He is actually a little wasted there though, he would have been ideal to fit one of the wide positions, or the floating role behind the striker.

Brentford may not have got much out of Grigg, which I guess should make us happy, but we really have missed him, think him or someone of similar quality would have been the difference between making it or not.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Had we started with Sawyers playing just behind Westcarr, would we have lost? I don't think we would have, but hindsight's a wonderful thing and all that. The irony was, we could have done with a big man to come on from the bench for that last 10 minutes, but he'd already been on and come off by that point. :roll:

Playing Sawyers means we have to play the ball on the floor because he generally goes to find the easy pass to his feet. And as much as Westcarr played well 'in the hole' 12 months ago, he's played as our furthest man forward for the whole of this season, so asking him to revert back to his style of play a year ago will probably take a few weeks - time we can't afford.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 pm

tinned wrote:We needed a striker that can put his back to the defenders, hold up the ball, bring others into play, make darting runs etc etc. Instead we got a 6' 7" bloke that can only jump 6' 4" and "controls" the ball further than I can kick it..

Am reading Alan Buckley's book at moment. Just need the Tardis to bring him 30 plus years forward in time.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Sorry its a bit late BUT.....

WE NEED A STRIKER :lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season