Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League One 22 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Re: Crawley Town (H) League One 22 Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Crawley ay a bad side either

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Dean Smith on the radio now blaming the referee, saying the performance was good.

I hope he's just doing it to protect his players, but if not he's massively deluded.

Forget the referee, we were woeful today. We played at walking pace, for all our possession we barely created a chance, we had one shot on target (the goal). That is not good enough at home if you have ambitions of finishing in the top 6. Last 3 home games have yielded 2 goals and 1 point. Not good enough.

Possession football needs to be played at a high tempo in order to work the opposition hard, you need to move the ball quickly, stretching the team one way, then the other. The last few weeks our tempo has slowed and it gives teams the chance to surround our danger men with 2, 3 sometimes 4 men, which is what Crawley did today.

On team selection, Smith started with Ngoo, so we proceeded to pump the ball up to him. This just took Lalkovic and Brandy out of the game. Most of the time, Crawley lapped it up. Also, why was Chambers on the bench? Purkiss is poor and shouldnt start ahead of Chambers.

When we were all talking about what type of striker we should bring in, I said we needed a Joachim type player, the kind of player that plays on the shoulder of the last man, someone quick, a right-time-right-place kind of player. Others said we needed a target man bean pole. Well today just proved how wrong those people were. We haven't got a team that can play the kind of game that involves a target man - not once today did we get a cross anywhere near Ngoo.

Personally I think our chance of the playoffs has evaporated with these last 3 home games, games like today we should have been winning given our domination of the ball.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Less than average performance from an average mid table 3rd division team against a better team. Walsall FC were created to disappoint and let down their fans, bring back Alan Buckley, terraces, hitch hiking to away matches, brown and mild, my rubbish old mini, Dawsons coaches, Fellows Park and my youth.

SMITH OUT - PERIOD

:)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:13 pm

We missed Taylor and Chambers today. Not saying Purkiss and Benning are bad players, they are quite decent, but Lalkovic does not link up well with Benning at all and Purkiss didn't have his best game as his crosses were pants.

Mantom deserved MOTM, I think he is our best all round player, he could go for more than Paterson.

Not over yet, 2 bad home performances are not the end of the world, we have a very busy March that could put us right back into contention. I have every belief in the lads that we can get there, and will not go out of the fight with a whimper.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:16 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Too much long ball up to Ngoo who half the time can't even be arsed to jump for it.
Lazy get.

There's a surprise, managed to get three games in and now we get the standard 'lazy' insult which, surprise surprise, is always directed at our black players.

You haven't got a clue have you, thoughtless, clueless and totally fictional opinion based on zero facts.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:22 pm

I think Ngoo is the furthest thing from lazy, he put a shift in.

He just ain't very good :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm

That was rubbish and we more or less pressed the self destruct button on our season.

I hadn't seen Ngoo before today, but playing him seems to have just completely spoiled the style of football that got us into the top six. I was one of those who felt we needed a striker in January, but certainly not one who plays to the detriment of his teammates. We needed a plan B and we signed one. Problem is, that plan B has now become a plan A for no apparent reason.

This will sound like sour grapes, but what the hell. Crawley's approach to that game was an absolute disgrace - a lesson in how to foul every 30 seconds and spread bookings around the eleven players on the pitch. They were never going to finish that game with a full compliment of players.

Still, we can't hide behind the referee's performance and Crawley's horrendous approach to the game. The penalty was a sloppy mistake by Butler, and the second goal came about after Brandy gave the ball away cheaply and O'Donnell reacted far too slowly to the fact that the ball was always going to the back post. It was a great ball in by Clarke, but it was the only pass he had on, and I think O'Donnell should have come and claimed it.

Having completely bypassed our midfield in the first half, the introduction of Sawyers showed how much better we are when we keep the ball on the deck. Suddenly Chambers, Mantom, and Westcarr in particular looked twice the players they'd looked in the first half, and we could have ended up nicking a point. A notable mention for Benning too, who was my man of the match and barely put a foot wrong.

Weak management by Smith for me today I'm afraid. Not sure what the arrangement is with Liverpool over Ngoo, but if he's got to play every game, let's send him back and make do with what we had before - even if that means we go back to having no plan B. It'll take something special to make those playoffs now.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Too much dummy spitting and over reactions on here. To write off the play-offs is absurd.

Smith got it wrong starting Ngoo, but that's life.

I enjoyed our 2nd half performance. If we can maintain that for the rest of the season, that'll do me.

If you enjoyed a performance that yielded one shot on target then you must be easily pleased.
Still, that one shot resulted in the first goal we have managed in all 6 home defeats this season. I suppose that's progress - hallelujah!

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Ref spoilt the game but he didn't cost us the match, brandys was a stone wall penalty, agree with the comment Johnny Owen that chambers and Taylor need to get back in, they have just got so much more tactical and defensive nouse. Too quick to get it upto ngoo today which again completely takes the wide men out the game. Played more fluently when sawyers came on but the tempo was just no were near high enough through out. I think smith is doing a terrific job and I'm happy with the season overall but for the life of me why not send butler upfront alot sooner when we was camped in there half for the last 20 minutes. Don't know we're your coming from cully, people have opinions on players and because the critiscm comes in for a black player that doesn't constitute you to being a racist. Lads heads looked dropped at the end but it ain't over till it's over x

SWS1

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Er, how many points have we won since we had Ngoo?
Just thought I'd ask.
:(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Cully wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Too much long ball up to Ngoo who half the time can't even be Arsenal to jump for it.
Lazy get.

There's a surprise, managed to get three games in and now we get the standard 'lazy' insult which, surprise surprise, is always directed at our black players.

You haven't got a clue have you, thoughtless, clueless and totally fictional opinion based on zero facts.

His movement was dire at times. It's not nothing to do with being racist, but everything to do with the fact that he's walked into this side with a chip on his shoulder, thinking he doesn't have to work as hard because he's from a Premier League club.

I was excited about seeing him play for us today, but I've come away from the game wishing we'd never signed him.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:43 pm

our style when successful is not long ball up to a 6ft + striker.
Since ngoo arrival this has been the case in patches of play when his played.
I'd rather see him come off the bench when were chasing the game in the last 1/4.

all is not lost, rather get the tactics in games fixed as quickly as possible for the final run-in.

keep the faith

UTS

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:53 pm

The concept of us signing a striker was for 1 key reason in my mind and that was, in games where the football doesn't work and we don't look like scoring, to bring him on and use him as a plan B late on in games where we might need to give it a lump into the box or physically match the opposition - just a different dynamic. If Smith has brought him in and think's getting it forward a bit quicker by hoofing it directly to him, it's one of his biggest mistakes since he took over.

Lalkovic appears to have retracted into his too many step over, diving, lightweight personna - opposed to the one that looked a genuinely quality league 1 attacking weapon during December and January. I hope adding another PL star to the team hasn't affected his attitude and performance. I don't mind Purkiss, but Chambers is just better in virtually all areas of his game. Get him and Taylor back immediately.

It would also be nice if our captain stopped giving away first half penalties also.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:02 pm

As I said after the report of his first debut... Ngoo is Nnnnnooooogoooood

Smith made the wrong decision in seeking such a player, just a quick mobile finisher was needed...someone who can time his runs into goalscoring positions.

Lalkovic or Baxendale would be better....put them in his place if any chance of recovery is hoped for.

This defeat follows yet another declaration by players and management "We are now going for the play offs etc"

The great rallying call was heard and faded into a weak whimper after four minutes.

Manager & Players....please don't make declarations and predictions....just correct the poor attacking....every time you make a declaration of intent....reality slaps you in the face.

Walsall still unable to get beyond the 0/1 goal average. Nnnooooogoooood is not the answer.

Walsall unable to string 2 wins together, let alone 3.

None of this collapse has been helped by supporters idiotic overestimation of Walsall's footballing ability......massively exaggerated by simpleton flawed analysis. You all encouraged this decline.

Walsall will do well to finish 9th now.....Smith has to be to blamed for continuous denial about Walsall's inadequacy in attack.....again buoyed on by deluded supporters.

Sallian was and is right.
Last edited by sallian on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I hadn't seen Ngoo before today, but playing him seems to have just completely spoiled the style of football that got us into the top six. I was one of those who felt we needed a striker in January, but certainly not one who plays to the detriment of his teammates. We needed a plan B and we signed one. Problem is, that plan B has now become a plan A for no apparent reason.

Bang on what I said slightly earlier in the thread. Hopefully Deano can see this and put this right. Like you say, he should be a plan B, and if for some reason we are being forced to give him starts or X number of minutes as part of the loan deal, then this is detrimental to the team and what it has achieved, and he should go back. A loan should benefit the club acquiring the player, not just the player or his parent club.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:04 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:Too much dummy spitting and over reactions on here. To write off the play-offs is absurd.

Smith got it wrong starting Ngoo, but that's life.

I enjoyed our 2nd half performance. If we can maintain that for the rest of the season, that'll do me.

If you enjoyed a performance that yielded one shot on target then you must be easily pleased.
Still, that one shot resulted in the first goal we have managed in all 6 home defeats this season. I suppose that's progress - hallelujah!

I said 2nd half. I probably should have said after Sawyers came on.

And I guess I am a bit different to our fans who shout SHOOT in unison if we are within 40 yards of our goal. Shots on target isn't a good measure of a good football side.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Crawley ay a bad side either

Personally I thought they were rubbish. And they whimpered ceaselessly. And they made a concerted effort (with that excuse for a ref) to get MrMagoo sent off early in the game. Southern pricks, the sooner global warming floods the southeast the fudge better. Funny though when Clark got himself sent off (why the fudge did the ref book him the first time - I've seen worse fouls in Demonstration gay non-contact Badminton).

As for us, we were even worse until he withdrew our new superstar. Like most on here, I thought it was a positive signing. He still will be if we use him as an impact player off the bench. He simply don't fit in with the idea of pass/move/make space - too static and brainless-ostrich (couldn't be a chicken) when he has the ball. Too easy an option to hoof it up to him really fudge us up in the first half. As soon as he was replaced by Sawyers and played our normal style, we had those southern tossers on the rack and should probably have saved a point. If the scousers don't like that, ship him back. As to Smith thinking that we played well, I'd despair if I thought he truly meant it.

Not out of it, but we'll need to probably win 10/14 as I really can't see much implosion likely at the top this year.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 pm

sallian wrote:As I said after the report of his first debut... Ngoo is Nnnnnooooogoooood

Smith made the wrong decision in seeking such a player, just a quick mobile finisher was needed...someone who can time his runs into goalscoring positions.

Lalkovic or Baxendale would be better....put them in his place if any chance of recovery is hoped for.

This defeat follows yet another declaration by players and management "We are now going for the play offs etc"

The great rallying call was heard and faded into a weak wimper after four minutes.

Manager & Players....please don't make declarations and predictions....just correct the poor attacking....every time you make a declaration of intent....reality slaps you in the face.

Walsall still unable to get beyond the 0/1 goal average. Nnnooooogoooood is not the answer.

None of this collapse has been helped by supporters idiotic overestimation of Walsall's footballing ability......massively exaggerated by simpleton flawed analysis. You all encouraged this decline.

Walsall will do well to finish 9th now.....Smith has to be to blamed for continuous denial about Walsall's inadequacy in attack.....again buoyed on by deluded supporters.

I'd point out that Lalkovich was really barclays (thought he was Messi at most points during the game but contributed the sum total of fudge all, Brandy on a mediocre day was miles better). Baxendale may be the worst extended contract since Wrack, though I expected him to kick on this year - he made no impression at all when he came on, Hemmings was more of a threat though that says little.

Based on the first reports of trollish feeding habits, I sincerely apologise for putting my tiny cloven hoofs on the bridge :evil:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Cully wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Too much long ball up to Ngoo who half the time can't even be Arsenal to jump for it.
Lazy get.

Before you start accusing people of racism and being clueless you might want to look in the mirror.
I was at the game and that comment was posted at half time after watching Ngoo be completely rubbish and doing very little. He was the same at the last home game.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Funny though when Clark got himself sent off (why the donald did the ref book him the first time - I've seen worse fouls in Demonstration gay non-contact Badminton).

I think the ref was influenced by him being a fanny and making out that he was injured a minute before.
After being dragged to his feet and told to stop acting like a pussy he made a miraculous recovery so much so that he went straight ahead and committed the foul.

They should have gained a lot more yellows for their time wasting and that prat in the orange boots that started having a paddy when he realised he was about to be booked for the trip on front of the dugouts.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:42 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:They should have gained a lot more yellows for their time wasting and that prat in the orange boots that started having a paddy when he realised he was about to be booked for the trip on front of the dugouts.

God knows how he'd have reacted to a red card. The ref should have shown him one just for a laugh.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:49 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:They should have gained a lot more yellows for their time wasting and that prat in the orange boots that started having a paddy when he realised he was about to be booked for the trip on front of the dugouts.

God knows how he'd have reacted to a red card. The ref should have shown him one just for a laugh.

Complete winging fudge - just like their manager who I had the severe displeasure of encountering much too often while his kids were at the same primary school as mine. At least he had the nous to shut Clark up on the sidelines. Horrid side - weren't they involved in severe financial "malpractice" during their meteoric rise from Division 7?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:51 pm

boringteacher wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Complete winging donald - just like their manager who I had the severe displeasure of encountering much too often while his kids were at the same primary school as mine. At least he had the nous to shut Clark up on the sidelines. Horrid side - weren't they involved in severe financial "malpractice" during their meteoric rise from Division 7?

They are a horrid side with a suspect history.

They won't get relegated this season though.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Very poor that.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:05 pm

one goal on target for the whole match........tells a familiar story

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:09 pm

boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:As I said after the report of his first debut... Ngoo is Nnnnnooooogoooood

The great rallying call was heard and faded into a weak wimper after four minutes.

I'd point out that Lalkovich was really barclays (thought he was Messi at most points during the game but contributed the sum total of donald all, Brandy on a mediocre day was miles better). Baxendale may be the worst extended contract since Wrack, though I expected him to kick on this year - he made no impression at all when he came on, Hemmings was more of a threat though that says little.

Based on the first reports of trollish feeding habits, I sincerely apologise for putting my tiny cloven hoofs on the bridge :evil:

If he was in the middle-advanced the goal would open up for him along with the half chances....same for Baxendale.....I have more confidence in them than Nnnnoooogooood....and more confidence in their attitude. No sheep or goats are crossing this bridge. :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:19 pm

sallian wrote:one goal on target for the whole match........tells a familiar story

I generally find that all goals tend to be on target

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Frustrating game!

Silly penalty early doors but seemed a nailed on handball. We then huffed and puffed without really working their keeper for the rest of the half.

Second half, I have to say their second goal had a some quality about it. Great turn, run then cross to set up a simple header. I did think O'Donnell was going to get a touch on the ball but could seem to get there.

After that, same old story until Ngoo went off. I did not think he was the worst player I've seen - there was the occasional good touch/lay off in between all the bad ones - but he just reduced fluidity and movement which have been two of the major strengths of the team this season. As other people have said, he would be great to use as a plan B option when all else fails. He would have been far more effective at the end of the game today when we were playing against ten men and struggling to break them down.

MoM - I actually think Benning should have won it. He had a very good game today.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:21 pm

PT wrote:Very poor that.

If I was a betting man, I would be having a few quid on your match report making the front page.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:31 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:one goal on target for the whole match........tells a familiar story

I generally find that all goals tend to be on target

well spotted....I think I will leave it there to make you all feel more comfortable in my presence.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season