Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (A) League One Sat 1st Feb 3pm

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 pm

kshammer wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
kshammer wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
kshammer wrote:I'm about to play this exact fixture on Football Manager 2014 and it get called off due to a waterlogged pitch. I know the game prides itself on being accurate but that is ridiculous. :lol:

Haven't you goy anything better to o on a Friday night? Poirot's on ITV3.

I've got a 14 week old. I no longer exist.

You've got time for Footy Manager? You're doing well!

To be fair I can't moan. He sleep 9 hours a night and whinges to go to bed. Having kids is gypsy's easy. 8)

No one gets off with it that easy, one way or another, you will suffer. Just trust me. :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Original post updated to include Coventry's draw *at home* to Shrewsbury and other statistics, Wednesday's fixture now open for business...

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 pm

i think will scrape this 1-0(westy)

hopefully then after we can then get 4 points from dingles & crewe. or if im being greedy 6 :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 am

We've come off the rails quite a bit since Notts County away - bizarre really, given that such a resounding away win should have sent confidence sky-high - so I don't see anything at all for us from Coventry away and Wolves at home - or at very best a point at Coventry/Northampton, but that's more hope than expectation. Hope I'm totally wrong, of course.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:41 am

geoffwhiting wrote:We've come off the rails quite a bit since Notts County away - bizarre really, given that such a resounding away win should have sent confidence sky-high - so I don't see anything at all for us from Coventry away and Wolves at home - or at very best a point at Coventry/Northampton, but that's more hope than expectation. Hope I'm totally wrong, of course.

Me neither. The bubble is well and truly bost....

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 am

Coventry are one of the few teams below us in the current form table. 0-0 with Shrewsbury was another poor result for them. Must win.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:52 pm

bangsection wrote:Coventry are one of the few teams below us in the current form table. 0-0 with Shrewsbury was another poor result for them. Must win.

I agree. A point would have been decent a month or two ago, but we must really be going there to win. They are on a very poor run culminating in being held to a mediocre Shrewsbury side yesterday. The problem is, the defence that has been the foundation of our success has now started to leak goals and we are unable to compensate for this by scoring sufficient ourselves. Our season has been built on a solid defence/midfield and we do not appear to have the wherewithal to unlock opposition defences often enough. Ironically, our current lack of goals has coincided with the signing of the striker that most of us wanted [but as a Plan B]. Unfortunately, Dean Smith has unsettled the side considerably to the extent that rather than gaining something extra, we have actually lost what we had in the first place.

If we lose and/or play poorly on Wednesday then I really fear we will be brushed aside next Saturday.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:We've come off the rails quite a bit since Notts County away - bizarre really, given that such a resounding away win should have sent confidence sky-high - so I don't see anything at all for us from Coventry away and Wolves at home - or at very best a point at Coventry/Northampton, but that's more hope than expectation. Hope I'm totally wrong, of course.

It happens though, especially if such a resounding win was heavily down to the opposing teams poor performance. Whilst I dont want to take all the credit away from the Walsall team performance that day, a great deal of it was down to the quite atrocious defending on show.

When this happens, a teams confidence can be artificially too high.

In addition we've had a problem scoring goals all season, many of us cited this as a reason why we wouldn't finish in the top 6. Not only are we not improving on this front, we're gradually getting worse - the last 5 games show an average of less than a goal a game.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

It happens though, especially if such a resounding win was heavily down to the opposing teams poor performance. Whilst I dont want to take all the credit away from the Walsall team performance that day, a great deal of it was down to the quite atrocious defending on show.

In addition we've had a problem scoring goals all season, many of us cited this as a reason why we wouldn't finish in the top 6. Not only are we not improving on this front, we're gradually getting worse - the last 5 games show an average of less than a goal a game.

Sssshh! Say that quietly Phil, Sallian will shake off his carers, and start ranting again!!!! :?
Shame about him really, he seems to have some intelligence, pity the men in white coats have to watch him so closely. :D

I too see us scraping a 1-0 on Wednesday, but the Dingles will embarrass us on Saturday, so we will need a good performance to sweep Crewe aside (however, after the Crawley debacle even this possibility is debatable!)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:28 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Sssshh! Say that quietly Phil, Sallian will shake off his carers, and start ranting again!!!! :?
Shame about him really, he seems to have some intelligence, pity the men in white coats have to watch him so closely. :D

I too see us scraping a 1-0 on Wednesday, but the Dingles will embarrass us on Saturday, so we will need a good performance to sweep Crewe aside (however, after the Crawley debacle even this possibility is debatable!)

Hush.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 am

Coventry 1 - 3 Walsall

Sawyers, Westcarr (2)

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Haven't made a prediction on us for a while because I've become superstitious.

But, I've studied the runes, stared at the loose tea leaves in the cup, sacrificed a small gerbil and its coming out as a 2-1 win for us.

Sawyers and Baxendale for us.

MysticDerbz xxx

JAL-WFC

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Must win this for me, considering Peterborough losing their game in hand tonight.

Dont start with Ngoo, start with Sawyers.

Give them all a couple of Red Bull's before so we have some urgency.

UTS

SWS1

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Yeah. Notts got tanked for 6 by Rovrum, which does put a slightly different perspective on our(still wonderful) win.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm

JAL-WFC wrote:Must win this for me, considering Peterborough losing their game in hand tonight.

Dont start with Ngoo, start with Sawyers.

Give them all a couple of Red Bull's before so we have some urgency.

UTS

Have to agree to this, MUST win game, we need the 3 points sooo desperately to stay in touch to any degree, Saturday is a 'write off' and with the Blades only three points away from us, we have a new kid on the block threatening our only chance of ousting Posh from that 6th place.

Come on me babbies we can do this!!!!! :) :)

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Our chances of making the play offs are reliant on the following;
1.Andy Taylor being fully fit.our only championship quality player.
2.westcarr starting to score again
3.Mantom not being banned for 3 games
4.sending goo back to Liverpool. Clearly a mistake of Jarvis proportions

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 am

Looking foward to this one - a must win tonight to keep our play off dreams alive.
See you all there.
Coventry 0 - Walsall 1

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 am

We need as many there tonight as we can. If you are wavering, do it. This might be the game that turns our season, we have to get the wagon rolling again.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:36 am

Incidentally, when do we find out about Mantom - shouldn't it be before tonights game?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am

philthesaddler wrote:Incidentally, when do we find out about Mantom - shouldn't it be before tonights game?

Should be in the next couple hours.

Terradakphil

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 pm

two very poor form sides. but after Posh defeat last night this really is a must win to have any chance in May. Ill go for an extremly scrappy 1-2 Chambers, Westcarr Att 2,237 (2,236 Saddlers) UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Incidentally, when do we find out about Mantom - shouldn't it be before tonights game?

Just confirmed - suspended for the next three games with immediate effect.

Ball_Street

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:22 pm

A big play off push to kick start tonight? I can see a 2-1 win, Lalkovic & Brandy with the goals. Moussa with theirs

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 pm

was going to go but been a massive accident on m6 sat nav is saying want get there till nearly half time :evil: :cry:

saddler1888

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 pm

2-1 walsall. lalkovic and a.chambers with goals.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Starting line-up against Coventry City:

O'Donnell

Chambers
Benning
Chambers
Downing
Butler

Brandy
Featherstone
Westcarr
Sawyers
Lalkovic

Substitutes: Purkiss, Hemmings, Baxendale, Roberts, Hewitt, McQuilkin, Ngoo

Small plus point - Franck Moussa has failed a fitness test for Coventry, and isn't named anywhere. Same goes for their skipper Carl Baker.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:22 pm

We simply HAVE to win this game, it's a MUST. Not even a draw is a good result in the bigger picture, especially now Moussa and Baker are out (best player and captain).

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Don't they have Wilson and Delefonseo back though?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Scunthorpe is on the bench.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:31 pm

With Taylor and Mantom missing I fear the worst.
I thought the news was that Taylor was going to make it?

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season