Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 pm

If there's one thing over the last few weeks that have become even more apparent, is the importance of Butler playing well. It gets taken advtange or 'looked over' that he performs, generally to at least 8/10 each week and that there is a familiar pattern of him not being at his best and Downing looking awful and us suddenly struggling as a team. Let's not forget, when Deano first took over it was performances and moments like Butler's header at Tranmere for the 3-3 draw that lead us to safety and heroic performances like his in the 1-0 win over Southampton when Macken scored etc. Sometimes I feel the importance of him and all his mental attributes that are shown on the pitch go under the radar by our fans.

Our best captain/centre back in a very, very, very long time.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Butler's not playing as well as he has done previously right now, but I still think there are a few more who deserve criticism ahead of him.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm not moaning at Butler, even when he's poor he's normally in our top 3 players. My overall point was that when he isn't quite as his best it seems to rub off on Downing and others. It also shows how vital he is to the entire teams performance and morale.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season